Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

McTimmy posted:

It did go down, actually.

Yeah, I couldn't get to the website around 11pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Phenotype posted:

Eh, the other webcomic I read is Order of the Stick, so by that measure Erfworld updates like a clock. The point of his donation mechanics is to keep the comic running regularly, and to that end it works just fine, and I'm not too concerned about an update slightly after midnight. I do want him to keep the quality up and not feel compelled to ship whatever he's got because it's 10pm, and if he got burned by the site going down at the last minute, I can understand how he can't afford to randomly take that kind of financial hit -- it's their only source of income now.

I mean, he could have just run a normal Kickstarter or something and have all the money and no impetus to keep updating regularly, so I tend to cut him some slack if he has to bend the mechanics a tiny bit when he has an unforeseen issue.

To be honest I have way less sympathy for the dude and his schedule after watching the growth of Kill Six Billion Demons, which also almost always updates twice a week with much more detailed art and only one person doing it. And without vast swaths of the comic being replaced with walls of text.

And he shouldn't need an impetus like that to keep updating. Like okay, his commitment and work ethic are lovely so he needs to tie his revenue directly to actually releasing his poo poo on time. Fair enough but that's not a positive thing and it's weird to keep seeing him and other people try to spin it like it is.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Reene posted:

I wonder if Parson saying "poo poo" instead of "boop" was intentional.

He hasn't said "boop" since Book 1. It was a big plot beat, him throwing the sword into the lava and telling the world that he was done playing by its rules and that it could go gently caress itself.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Reene posted:

To be honest I have way less sympathy for the dude and his schedule after watching the growth of Kill Six Billion Demons, which also almost always updates twice a week with much more detailed art and only one person doing it. And without vast swaths of the comic being replaced with walls of text.

It doesn't take everyone the same amount of time to make art. I mean if you are going to go by that metric, everyone absolutely sucks because Minna Sundberg can pump out 4-5 heavily detailed comics a week. People have different skill levels, experience with certain art styles, etc and that's not a trivial thing. Mind you I don't know whether Xin is slow or Balder is a slow writer or whatever but just saying in general you can't really hold something like how quick it takes one artist to work and say everyone who can't meet that same pace must be lazy.

Though I think if it becomes a huge issue you could always just stop reading the thing or check on it every few months or so.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

he's gone through three art teams and the pace has always been glacial, he's just the George R R Martin of the webcomics world

i.e. He's constantly plugging lots of other artists' work, makes tons of time to go to cons, and is still coasting by on his popularity despite his recent books showing a steady decline in quality from their height. Also he's slow as poo poo.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

he's just the George R R Martin of the webcomics world

I'm pretty sure that's Aaron Diaz.

It's fine to not like someone's rate of output or whatever. I just wouldn't use one or two extraordinary artists (like operant or Minna) as a benchmark all web-cartoonists are supposed to hit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Erfworld is updating regularly twice a week; trying to compare that to George Martin or Aaron Diaz is an insane standard.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Donkringel posted:

New update gave a lot to chew one. The biggest piece was actually Robs update excuse in the forums.

I don't mind if I have to read the updates the next day because they get posted so late, but it honestly seems like he is now being shady to protect his revenue stream. This excuse seems too weak.

Now if folks actually were online late last night and the site did go down I might be more apt to believe it, but this just seems to convenient to the tune of a thousand and a half dollars.

In terms of protecting his revenue, all the updates that have been light on action but heavy on introspection are really where the comic suffers. It's easy to write a chunk of text narrating how someone feels about events, less so to express how they're feeling through action (much less advance the plot).

Anyway. Pretty cool that Parson actually came clean about all the lies rather than holding out until the worst possible moment.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't get the complaints tbh. If anyone is really upset about the last one being a few minutes late on account of the site being down, then I assume they'll pull their support and go back to reading for free and that will be the end of it. Erfworld is still one of the most regularly updated of the comics I follow.

And actually I prefer the text updates. The art isn't that amazing tbh, I'm here for the story, and these kinds of pages pack in a lot more information. I'm trying to figure out how many strips it would've taken to show everything that was covered here, panel by panel. The parts that involved characters' thoughts may not have even been possible.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 4, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

he's gone through three art teams and the pace has always been glacial, he's just the George R R Martin of the webcomics world

i.e. He's constantly plugging lots of other artists' work, makes tons of time to go to cons, and is still coasting by on his popularity despite his recent books showing a steady decline in quality from their height. Also he's slow as poo poo.

Go read Order of the Stick or Necropolis to get Martin levels of slow. Erfworld can reliably get at least one update a week, that's lightning speed compared to some of his peers.

(Granted, both OotS and Necropolis are actually better works, but we're only talking speed here.)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I mean, this guy missed 1 or 2 updates over the Christmas break and was an hour late with this last one, otherwise he's been steadily doing 2 per week for at least the 6 months+ that I've been reading the regular updates. I know the comic had issues in the past, but sheesh, I think he's been pretty steady for a while now.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I find Caesar's characterisation a bit flawed in this update. He never struck me as the gullible type, and now he's buying everything Parson says because he admitted to lying about almost everything up till now? Bit too easy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
We aren't seeing his internal thoughts, so maybe he's just showing receptiveness.

There's also the quality of truth. Among other things, Parson admitted he lied about the thing protecting him from being bloodsucked. That means he gave up a layer of personal security.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Erfworld hasn't had a unscheduled break in the update schedule in over a year. Hardly the GRRM of webcomics

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I guess I'm just remembering back to the Bad Old Days of late book 1/book 2

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I miss when the comic was on GiantITP with Jamie Noguchi drawing it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

That was absolutely the best period in terms of art and story. I loved Saline IV and I'm sad that they dropped the ambiguity of Parson's situation so completely.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Jamie and Xin's styles are so different it's hard to compare directly, for me. I really like Xin's artist, and I'm glad she's back on the team.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Jamie and Xin's styles are so different it's hard to compare directly, for me. I really like Xin's artist, and I'm glad she's back on the team.

They are both pretty talented artists, but yeah I think I prefer Xin's style as well.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

McTimmy posted:

It did go down, actually.

Well, I've put my foot in my mouth before. Speaking of which new update, done super soon!

I really like the doll's surprised face.

So obviously folks at the execution are obviously going to get croaked midway, while Parson and Co rescue the others. Who do you all think will live/die?

My thoughts

Lives: Lillith, one or two stabbers/archers, maybe Artemis.

Dies: Boromir, the other Archons, maybe Artemis.

Although I'm hoping Boromir survives and is allowed to rejoin his little hobbit buddy for GK brownie points, but I think that's wishful thinking on my end.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I still couldn't say whether Wanda ends up dead at the end of all this.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Phenotype posted:

I still couldn't say whether Wanda ends up dead at the end of all this.

Maybe she'll decrypt herself.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Boromir is obviously going to die; he's a trademarked character drawn as a recognizable pastiche of a living actor. He's not going to become a major character.

Lilith should live because she's awesome and I want to see more of her.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Well, that's multiple wrenches (pun not intended) thrown into the works all at once. I wonder if Charlie has finally managed to form a coherent plan of action, or if he's still in the "hasty play in response to the most recent disaster" as he's seemed to be for a while now. I'm also curious how effective it was. Were any Thinkamancers killed in that collapse? How many? Are they effectively neutered, or merely seriously hindered and about to retaliate?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 10, 2017

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So if Charlie cuts the action figure loose and closes the portal down there on his end, how easy would it be to pin all this on GK?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I really enjoyed seeing that an extended relationship with Charlie has taught Claud and Ivan to try to think the same way. But does intent automagically matter? Because if so, you'd think Charlie would have been dinged for giving Jillian the rifles.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
drat, Charlie doesn't play around. Maybe the GMTTA shouldn't have been so quick to turn on their best allies against him...

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm eager to see if enough Great Minds are left to pull that long-distance string sever attack. Losing that backburner omnipotence would make them freak out.

Mniot posted:

I really enjoyed seeing that an extended relationship with Charlie has taught Claud and Ivan to try to think the same way. But does intent automagically matter? Because if so, you'd think Charlie would have been dinged for giving Jillian the rifles.

Proving intent for someone to benefit from a "mistake" you made would be much squirrellier than proving that you only attacked something "accidentally." The rifle hand-off being two distinct actions that weren't immediately related probably gave a huge loophole, too.

The lesson in all of this is don't make agreements with Charlie and expect him to actually be bound by them. It's a shame Parson can't let Benjamin read the contract; dude's as much of a lawyer as Charlie.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 11, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah they're kinda saying contract cheating is basically carnymancying yourself into thinking you aren't breaking the contract, and Charlie is a master carnymancer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

I'm eager to see if enough Great Minds are left to pull that long-distance string sever attack. Losing that backburner omnipotence would make them freak out.

They've already lost that for years and years, though. They can't be that attached to it, especially given that they only ever used it the one time that we know of.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
This is absolutely getting pinned on the two Decrypted casters who are about to pop up from the bedrock, holding the Wonky Wrench.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

On the other hand there's now a large number of powerful thinkamancers just waiting to be decrypted.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Taerkar posted:

On the other hand there's now a large number of powerful thinkamancers just waiting to be decrypted.

They'll really be loyal this time.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

No I think it's worse than that. If the Great Minds were all linked up in a conference when this happened, any of the survivors would be crippled by the mental backlash from having the link forcibly broken. Looking at how Sagan is acting here, it's very likely that most if not all of them are just gone.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Yeah that definitely looks like link backlash. Same weirdly disjointed quasi-poetic speech, same grey-washed skin.

I wonder which fate is worse if you're a Great Mind, death or that.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Zoe posted:

This is absolutely getting pinned on the two Decrypted casters who are about to pop up from the bedrock, holding the Wonky Wrench.

Ah crap, yea that's gonna be what happens.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well now there's no one to object to Bunny being decrypted.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Pretty bleak, Marie.

Wonder if this is universal among predictamancers or if it's more to do with her having been popped in absurdly-pacifist Faq.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think it's kind of a duel meaning. Not every battle is worth sending a predictimancer to but also not every battle has a firm enough fate to get any use out of sending a predictimancer to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's also important to take this in the context of Marie being part of the conspiracy to end war, so she's not necessarily approving of the fact even as she describes it.

I wound up subscribing to their support Patreon. Most of the bonus features are pants, but having a high-resolution version of the comic is pretty nice.