Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

BBC House of Cards is better than Netflix House of Cards.

You might think that, but I couldn't possibly comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

Apparently unpopular opinion: Stranger Things was mediocre at best. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. It's an utterly forgettable show.

Same. Saw it and promptly forgot about it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I think nuclear power is just fine, provided proper regulation and oversight are in place.

I think that crime, criminals, and prisoners are a symptom of failures of society at large rather than evidence of evil. I feel that people commit crimes, most of the time, because society failed them in some way - they didn't have the same opportunities for education or employment, they're mentally ill and didn't receive treatment, their view of the world is out of alignment with reality for some other reason. I feel that they deserve sympathy, training, education, actual rehabilitation. Punishment doesn't work as a deterrent, retribution is not justice, and it doesn't undo the damage done by the crime. Solitary confinement is torture. The death penalty is an abomination. Killing a murderer isn't going to bring their victim back. Crime doesn't exist in a vacuum, committed by moustache-twirling Evildoers (and, by God do I hate that trope in fiction). All humans are capable of horrible acts, and the only reason some do is because that was, for them, what they thought the optimal choice in that situation. If so, we've got to fix society so that it isn't the optimal choice. Which is a hell of a lot harder than whack-a-mole'ing people away behind bars for decades.

Got to end poverty and lack of access to education. Got to end racism, sexism and misogyny, and the culture of male white entitlement. If you end up in prison, it's cause society hosed up. It takes a village to raise a child. Prison should be an opportunity to correct that, to teach and reform, rather than a vengeance factory.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Stranger Things has a lot of style and it's clear the creators had a vision for what they were doing, and were allowed to follow through on it. The actual story is not that interesting.

The same is true of recent hit movie Logan, and of Deadpool too a bit before. A vision that is followed through. Maybe the money men will take such as these as signs that you should trust the artist. Can always hope.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
La La Land sucked. Only the glad-handiest LA phony could think that was some beautiful ~ode to los angeles~. What a piece of poo poo. Nightcrawler and Drive (hg) captured that weird concrete suburb-city vibe LA has. Corny poo poo movie sucked. I don't really like movies but being lonely in a burning valley of lost souls seems like a pretty easy sell but it was some goober making it as a white jazz savior. Dumb poo poo.

life is a joke has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Jan 22, 2018

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hyperlynx posted:

I think nuclear power is just fine, provided proper regulation and oversight are in place.

I think that crime, criminals, and prisoners are a symptom of failures of society at large rather than evidence of evil. I feel that people commit crimes, most of the time, because society failed them in some way - they didn't have the same opportunities for education or employment, they're mentally ill and didn't receive treatment, their view of the world is out of alignment with reality for some other reason. I feel that they deserve sympathy, training, education, actual rehabilitation. Punishment doesn't work as a deterrent, retribution is not justice, and it doesn't undo the damage done by the crime. Solitary confinement is torture. The death penalty is an abomination. Killing a murderer isn't going to bring their victim back. Crime doesn't exist in a vacuum, committed by moustache-twirling Evildoers (and, by God do I hate that trope in fiction). All humans are capable of horrible acts, and the only reason some do is because that was, for them, what they thought the optimal choice in that situation. If so, we've got to fix society so that it isn't the optimal choice. Which is a hell of a lot harder than whack-a-mole'ing people away behind bars for decades.

Got to end poverty and lack of access to education. Got to end racism, sexism and misogyny, and the culture of male white entitlement. If you end up in prison, it's cause society hosed up. It takes a village to raise a child. Prison should be an opportunity to correct that, to teach and reform, rather than a vengeance factory.

The crime thing is 90% true. But some criminals are real pieces of poo poo. Im not talking about drug dealers or burglars who are desparate for their next fix. They are obviously bad but also a symptom. I mean the guy who would steal a wallet cuz he could, out of a work locker. Or the woman who intentionally causes car accidents. Or the person who would syphon money from an ailing relative.

Those people deserve no sympathy because they are often not disadvantaged, and are commiting crime because they are opportunistic parasites rather than victims of systematic circumstances.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Until Netflix starts showing tits and rear end regularly their original series will never take off aside from the occasional hits like house of cards/stranger things/etc

House of Cards wasn't original.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Jerry Cotton posted:

House of Cards wasn't original.

I can't tell if you're joking but when they said "original series" they meant content created by Netflix rather than someone else, not that House of Cards was an original concept that wasn't based on anything else.

Also everyone is right that Stranger Things was mostly mediocre. It is only remarkable for 2 things, 1) hitting 80's nostalgia in a way that felt authentic, rather than hitting you over the head with "check it out, it's totally the 80's!", which is difficult, and 2) having a whole cast of kid actors that didn't suck, which is really difficult.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

King of Foolians posted:

I can't tell if you're joking but when they said "original series" they meant content created by Netflix rather than someone else, not that House of Cards was an original concept that wasn't based on anything else.

Yeah what this guy said. Anyway I did forget about Orange is the New Black and I resent the poster that brought it up for making me remember it. With just a couple exceptions the nudity in that show isn't the kind most people want to see. It was like Oz nudity, but with women.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Soiled Meat
Nudity in modern drama is a lazy approach to being edgy, and is more often than not just cringeworthy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If you are gonna film a scene in a prison shower, everyone better be naked, or it's gonna look dumb and contrived.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Game of Thrones would be better without the endless nudity. It generally adds nothing and makes it awkward to watch with old people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Soiled Meat
Can't wait for prudishness to become the new woke edgy thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not actually opposed to it it's just awkward.

Prudishness was actually in for a bit in the early late 90's/ 2Ks amongst the punk/hardcore crowd. I remember it all too well for how annoying it was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not actually opposed to it it's just awkward.

Prudishness was actually in for a bit in the early late 90's/ 2Ks amongst the punk/hardcore crowd. I remember it all too well for how annoying it was.

Ugh, straightedge poo poo. I still remember some of my friends walking around with those giant sharpie black x's on their hands.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

It's not being prudeish to want less tits in game of thrones, when they are only put in there to encourage 18-24 year old males to watch the show.

Maybe one in 20 of the boobs you see in the show are plot relevant.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Id say 2 in 20

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Id say 2 in 20

:golfclap:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Game of thrones is a trashy soap opera. If anything there should be more tits.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Soiled Meat

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's not being prudeish to want less tits in game of thrones, when they are only put in there to encourage 18-24 year old males to watch the show.

Maybe one in 20 of the boobs you see in the show are plot relevant.

I wasn't really facetious, this hailing of nudity in entertainment as something brave and progressive is really annoying.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I wasn't really facetious, this hailing of nudity in entertainment as something brave and progressive is really annoying.

It's ironic that in America, adult means things that hast the most appeal to adolescents more than anyone else, i.e. nudity and violence.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Nudity not being a big deal is progressive. Watch the shower scene in Starship Troopers for proof, or come to a communal sauna in Finland.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Fair enough, always hard to tell over the internet.

I'm still for more dongs on TV, since that is something you rarely see, and anything that makes dudebros squeamish is alright by me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Nudity not being a big deal is progressive. Watch the shower scene in Starship Troopers for proof, or come to a communal sauna in Finland.

Any excuse to post this:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder how an American audience would react to the sauna scenes in Metsolat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's ironic that in America, adult means things that hast the most appeal to adolescents more than anyone else, i.e. nudity and violence.

I'm pretty sure most people of most ages like nudity and violence.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure most people of most ages like nudity and violence.

That's why I put in "more than anyone else" you rear end. I guess you'll know what I mean when you reach puberty.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's why I put in "more than anyone else" you rear end. I guess you'll know what I mean when you reach puberty.

I'm 34. Am I late? :ohdear:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm 34. Am I late? :ohdear:

Well your breasts are coming along nicely but all the rest?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(Betting on ToxicSlurpee being male.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

(Betting on ToxicSlurpee being male.)

My man boobs are magnificent, thank you. I've been giving them a steady diet of the most fattening pizza I can find.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of the nudity in Game of Throne is cringey as hell, but I appreciate that when they go to a brothel that people are actually naked. They did subvert expectations once when they showed a grandma's saggy tits.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The early seasons of GoT had producer mandated nudity, to sell the new show on HBO. They've moved away from it in later seasons.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wasn't sold on Deadwood till it showed a dudes full frontal penis in all its glory.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I wasn't sold on Deadwood till it showed a dudes full frontal penis in all its glory.

As opposed to a dudes full posterior penis?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

Netflix is moving towards and investing heavily in producing their own content, partly because they don't have to deal with licensing bullshit when they own the rights outright. So, they are doing something.

Don't Netflix charge different amounts based on location, so they introduce as many regional restrictions as they avoid?

Regional pricing will continue for as long as differences in regional economies exist. You can't sell at the same price in Russia, Australia, China and the US and not make at least one of those markets completely pointless. The US price won't make sales in the poorest markets, and the cheapest will cost you a fortune you'd otherwise make in the US, and you'll end up losing money in Australia due to road warrior attacks.

sassassin has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Mar 11, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

That was Ron Swanson's junk too!

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
Being racist is not the worst thing a person can be. There's tory cunts running around going on about how inferior elements should be kept from breeding with barely any outcry, and that's many, many orders of magnitude worse than an evil whitey putting on a kimono at a Japanese embassy's event.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Being racist is not the worst thing a person can be. There's tory cunts running around going on about how inferior elements should be kept from breeding with barely any outcry, and that's many, many orders of magnitude worse than an evil whitey putting on a kimono at a Japanese embassy's event.

My unpopular opinion is that there are more racists who don't think they are racists and consider themselves "progressive" than there are unashamed open racists. The civil war made people think there is a dividing line between north and south where above that line everyone's nice and non-racist, while everyone below it is the KKK. Face it, almost everyone is racist, the only variable is the level of denial they are in about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My unpopular opinion is that there are more racists who don't think they are racists and consider themselves "progressive" than there are unashamed open racists. The civil war made people think there is a dividing line between north and south where above that line everyone's nice and non-racist, while everyone below it is the KKK. Face it, almost everyone is racist, the only variable is the level of denial they are in about it.

I'm a huge pessimist and even I don't think it's that bad.