Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
There are probably five unironic Trump supporters who post with any regularity in gbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

They do it for 2 reasons though; a) bc the insurance company will pay that amount and b) because if they don't charge people who actually pay up that much then they would be out of funding bc of all the people who get treatment and can't pay.

If people could afford medical care and you removed the group of people whose sole purpose is to get between you and your doctor for profit, prices would go down.

I don't understand your thought process here: hospitals charge a huge amount for all the poor people who can't pay and the fact that insurance companies pay those high amounts, so if you remove insurance suddenly prices would go down? I don't see why that would happen.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You're forgetting the first part: "If people could afford medical care".

You have to have both.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
historically speaking, how did the process of nationalizing healthcare work for countries?

like, im guessing you cant just, sort of:

*send all the insurance companies to the gallows
*seize control of the hospital boards
*eat the rich

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought the answer to that question was generally "World War II + The Communist Bogeyman".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

I don't understand your thought process here: hospitals charge a huge amount for all the poor people who can't pay and the fact that insurance companies pay those high amounts, so if you remove insurance suddenly prices would go down? I don't see why that would happen.

Sorry - to clarify: "insurance" would still exist in the form of universal healthcare (everyone pays taxes into a big fund that pays out for medical care, just like insurance works but 1 massive pool instead of a Blue Cross pool and a Aetna pool and etc.).

It's just that it isn't for profit and there's no insurance executives getting millions of dollars a year.

quote:

Payer CEO compensation ranged from $10.1 million for Humana CEO Bruce D. Broussard to more than $15 million for Aetna CEO Mark Bertolini. Compensation for the Anthem, Cigna and UnitedHealth CEOs also fell in that range.

e: oh hey just for a lol

http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Political-Action-Legislation/House-Republicans-Propose-Giving-Health-Insurance-Companies-a-Tax-Break-on-CEO-Pay

quote:

House Republicans Propose Giving Health Insurance Companies a Tax Break on CEO Pay 03/09/2017

ahahahahahahaha

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kjoery posted:

historically speaking, how did the process of nationalizing healthcare work for countries?

like, im guessing you cant just, sort of:

*send all the insurance companies to the gallows
*seize control of the hospital boards
*eat the rich

Tallgeese posted:

I thought the answer to that question was generally "World War II + The Communist Bogeyman".

And yeah, post war Europe was helped out a lot by the USA who funnily enough concentrated a lot on 'socialized' programs such as that to make capitalism seem very desirable to people living under the Warsaw Pact. Thus to this day Europe still is pretty 'socialized' in many aspects.

Although depending on the country they have different formats; Germany has like a semi-private thing for example where there is a state sponsored insurance which covers everything but you can get over and above care through private insurers if you are able to afford it (iirc). But even in those countries the concept of an uncovered citizen or medical bankruptcy is alien as hell.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Go to Mexico for healthcare and dental work. It is way cheaper and the quality is just as good in my experience. Highly recommend.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krustic posted:

Go to Mexico for healthcare and dental work. It is way cheaper and the quality is just as good in my experience. Highly recommend.

In fact there is a town right across the border (name of which escapes me atm) which is basically entirely existing solely bc American dentists trained in America w/ American degrees go there to open a practice because it is easier/cheaper to do.

So you're getting the same exact level of care, if anyone is worried about that (you really shouldn't be anyway imo).

They will even send a shuttle up here to pick you up, take you down there for the dental work, then drive you home again it's wild.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Don't worry guys i'm sure the GOP is hard at work crafting an excellent healthcare bill lol

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

In fact there is a town right across the border (name of which escapes me atm) which is basically entirely existing solely bc American dentists trained in America w/ American degrees go there to open a practice because it is easier/cheaper to do.

So you're getting the same exact level of care, if anyone is worried about that (you really shouldn't be anyway imo).

They will even send a shuttle up here to pick you up, take you down there for the dental work, then drive you home again it's wild.

If you're by the Mexico/Arizona/California border, then it's probably Los Algodones. That's where I went. They do everything there. I believe they just opened up a stem cell clinic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

Not buying this one.

There are state college systems which only started charging tuition once black and Hispanic students started coming in. And not necessarily in backwoods states either.

And then there's the fact that anyone who has ever been in student "government" anywhere will tell you that state-funded unis can't manage their budget for poo poo either.

The problem is more complicated than I presented there but there's gotta be a reason I was paying thousands of dollars per quarter in the USA and 90 euro a semester in Germany and imo easy credit for student loans has to be part of it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You were paying for a superior American education

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Moridin920 posted:

The problem is more complicated than I presented there but there's gotta be a reason I was paying thousands of dollars per quarter in the USA and 90 euro a semester in Germany and imo easy credit for student loans has to be part of it.

Oh no, you're absolutely right that student loans are a part of it. No question.

The problem is that I am not seeing a solution that doesn't involve a lot of colleges shutting down, and I'm not convinced the right colleges would shut down, ignoring that "right colleges" is loaded as hell.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

Oh no, you're absolutely right that student loans are a part of it. No question.

The problem is that I am not seeing a solution that doesn't involve a lot of colleges shutting down, and I'm not convinced the right colleges would shut down, ignoring that "right colleges" is loaded as hell.

Fair point.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Kjoery posted:

also a general reminder that all the altrighters reading this thread have had their movement appropriated by frog people lmao

there are words here but they don't appear to signify anything

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yet another rando bog creature shambles out of d&d to evangelize gbs with their retard gospel

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
"the alt right is a boogey man made by the leftist media, now let me tell you about how the (((SJWS))) are ruining the world"

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Mordor She Wrote posted:

"the alt right is a boogey man made by the leftist media, now let me tell you about how the (((SJWS))) are ruining the world"

thanks for smearing this turd of a post over this thread

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i summoned him

e: sorry

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

I mean I could have added some "lol cucks" and "snowflakes" to the post to make it more authentic :shrug:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it's kinda like when i posted about how ineffectual the feminist opposition in russia is in the eastern europe thread and immediately got jumped on by a poster who has never posted there but posts in the feminism thread in the racist subforum all the time lol

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
giant anus full of aids

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Michael Bayleaf posted:

giant anus full of aids

Turn on your monitor

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I've been shitposting in this thread since the start

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I mean I could have added some "lol cucks" and "snowflakes" to the post to make it more authentic :shrug:

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

really queer Christmas posted:

Turn on your monitor

lmbo

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

there are words here but they don't appear to signify anything
if it makes you feel any better, youre probably not a frog person.

so far there's one kekistanian, one ~*hilarious 4chan /pol/ memester*~ , and one unironic the_donald reader. i dont actually remember whose who, but youve been pretty good overall

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Kjoery posted:

if it makes you feel any better, youre probably not a frog person.

so far there's one kekistanian, one ~*hilarious 4chan /pol/ memester*~ , and one unironic the_donald reader. i dont actually remember whose who, but youve been pretty good overall

Which one am i?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

SBJ posted:

Which one am i?
hmm, you've pulled the

"mainstream media"
"this is why trump won"
"liberal tears"
"racism is a non-issue"
"muslims are bad"

patterns. high probability of you being a frog person of the youtube variety, probably sargon

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kjoery posted:

the alt-righters i was referring to were more the old-guard alt right who resented the frog-rebranding (spencer is a basement 4chan nerd who loves anime so hes pretty sympathetic to the frog). i guess if there are none of the old guard are here then my initial statement does not apply, and i will cease Laughing My rear end Off over it, sorry

You truly are just a jumble of word salad at this point. Did you have a stroke or something?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

You truly are just a jumble of word salad at this point. Did you have a stroke or something?
ive been doing a lotta coding recently, which sorta brings out my inner sperg

also, i just love the frog people, sorry. the rebranding that occurred from: white nationalist neo nazi -> alt right -> pepe is hilariously stupid, much like the entire alt-right platform.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kjoery posted:

ive been doing a lotta coding recently, which sorta brings out my inner sperg

also, i just love the frog people, sorry. the rebranding that occurred from: white nationalist neo nazi -> alt right -> pepe is hilariously stupid, much like the entire alt-right platform.

The gently caress is with you and "branding"?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Political leanings aside, your posts are real bad.
👇

Krustic fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 11, 2017

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

The gently caress is with you and "branding"?
its sort of like when that one head wizard of the KKK swapped out the robe for a suit, and started referring to the KKK as "white activists" instead of the KKK. rebranding!

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Kjoery posted:

its sort of like when that one head wizard of the KKK swapped out the robe for a suit, and started referring to the KKK as "white activists" instead of the KKK. rebranding!

Look man, you can't group people in by their terminology, symbols, beliefs or attitudes, that's just wrong. That's something one of those dirty leftists would do!

Mordor She Wrote fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 11, 2017

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Kjoery posted:

hmm, you've pulled the

"mainstream media"
"this is why trump won"
"liberal tears"
"racism is a non-issue"
"muslims are bad"

patterns. high probability of you being a frog person of the youtube variety, probably sargon

Im a 1st generation immigrant from a muslim country.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

SBJ posted:

Is this the new "well actually I'm a black woman you just couldn't tell because I'm on the internet."

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SBJ posted:

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

SBJ posted:

unfortunately for you western leftists have given up on rational discourse and consider even fundamentalist identities valid. oh well, maybe the sentient squids will get it right.

• Locked thread