Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

I love F1's continual belief that they're the hottest poo poo everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

algebra testes posted:

I love the reference that "They're not even on NBC! It's their sports network!" Ah yes, 2:30AM Sunday morning. Going on NBC will truly help the ratings!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN is breaking in the start of the new NFL calendar year with an eleven-person panel on NFL Insiders.

11 people

It's like CNN on both meth and steroids

Oh sure you can try to brush it off as overkill but look at the quality you get with those 11 people

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grittybeard posted:

Oh sure you can try to brush it off as overkill but look at the quality you get with those 11 people

Herm's "what the gently caress are you talking about" face is priceless

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I love F1 to death, but I think the last time they were a "household" sort of series in the States was 1980 or so.

They've not had a :911: driver worth a drat (ie race winner) since Mario Andretti. Any and all :911: drivers that have come close? Wind up going to IndyCar. (this year's Indy 500 champion for example). Once they figure out that there's no bullshit politics? they go "gently caress this" and generally stay there.

They bailed on two pretty iconic circuits they built up during that time period. (Long Beach, Watkins Glen). Both STILL exist. Still have their fans., etc. F1 on the other hand? Just faded away.

Unless they find a Mario Andrettti like figure and find some sort of Glen like crowd where fans can get boozed up like they do at Indy, Talladega, etc? (And for any Worst Thread/Eurogoons? Monza, Le Mans, etc) They're just going to be a niche sport that only people with a lot of money can attend races to go see and for guys like me to watch at home.

NBC/NBCSN is kinda where they belong IMO.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
F1 is pretty fun when I actually get the time to watch it, which is pretty much never because most of the races are at 4 a.m. in my time zone.

I know tape-delayed sports are ratings death, but I wonder if NBCSN would get some eyeballs re-airing F1 races in a 1-hour highlights package later in the day. They've done a good job making Premier League highlights into a compelling show for people who don't get up early enough to watch the games live, surely that can only be a benefit to F1.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

I love F1 to death, but I think the last time they were a "household" sort of series in the States was 1980 or so.

They've not had a :911: driver worth a drat (ie race winner) since Mario Andretti. Any and all :911: drivers that have come close? Wind up going to IndyCar. (this year's Indy 500 champion for example). Once they figure out that there's no bullshit politics? they go "gently caress this" and generally stay there.

They bailed on two pretty iconic circuits they built up during that time period. (Long Beach, Watkins Glen). Both STILL exist. Still have their fans., etc. F1 on the other hand? Just faded away.

Unless they find a Mario Andrettti like figure and find some sort of Glen like crowd where fans can get boozed up like they do at Indy, Talladega, etc? (And for any Worst Thread/Eurogoons? Monza, Le Mans, etc) They're just going to be a niche sport that only people with a lot of money can attend races to go see and for guys like me to watch at home.

isn't like 80% of the IRL schedule on NBCSN as well

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

isn't like 80% of the IRL schedule on NBCSN as well

It is

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Pretty much. NBCSN is the king of US niche sports, and NBC knows it. But that's their bread and butter and it doesn't seem to hurt them much, especially if they're the only one adding subs instead of losing them, even if it is a byproduct of them being added to more packages. I mean, gently caress, I got to watch curling on TV. Find me another channel that is willing to do that. You won't.

Also F1 has the problem NASCAR has right now: it peaked years ago, and it's still trying to recapture the lightning, but that's a discussion for the Worst Thread.

Also also, I have to give the college networks (B1G Ten Network, SEC Network, etc) credit where credit is due. Yeah, they'll broadcast the big stuff like basketball and football, but they also happily broadcast wrestling and gymnastics, niche sports that wouldn't get TV time otherwise.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Almost seems like NBCSN is what ESPN was back in the 80s and early 90s. Pick up any sport and show it. You can get the rights for those things for cheap and fill up all your air time, and not have to pay dozens of people to be analysts or put on talking head shows because you blew all your money on a few sports.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bird in a Blender posted:

Almost seems like NBCSN is what ESPN was back in the 80s and early 90s. Pick up any sport and show it. You can get the rights for those things for cheap and fill up all your air time, and not have to pay dozens of people to be analysts or put on talking head shows because you blew all your money on a few sports.

That's part of it, part of it is all the other big sports are accounted for. NHL and Premier League are 5th and 4th in revenue world wide respectively, and NBC has the US rights to both. Both are huge outside the US (Canada and UK), but has enough of a following that they can show games on NBC instead of just NBCSN. ESPN and FOX already tried the NHL, and ESPN found they got the same ratings at a fraction of the cost showing poker.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

That's part of it, part of it is all the other big sports are accounted for. NHL and Premier League are 5th and 4th in revenue world wide respectively, and NBC has the US rights to both. Both are huge outside the US (Canada and UK), but has enough of a following that they can show games on NBC instead of just NBCSN. ESPN and FOX already tried the NHL, and ESPN found they got the same ratings at a fraction of the cost showing poker.

ESPN stopped giving a poo poo about the NHL well before poker became a thing though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

ESPN stopped giving a poo poo about the NHL well before poker became a thing though.

Here's my question, did poker become a thing because ESPN aired it, or did ESPN air it because it was a thing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Here's my question, did poker become a thing because ESPN aired it, or did ESPN air it because it was a thing?

One of those "little of column A, little of column B" things. Poker was definitely catching on before ESPN aired it, but it really took off once they did. Plus it's got to be incredibly cheap to cover and produce.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

iospace posted:

Pretty much. NBCSN is the king of US niche sports, and NBC knows it. But that's their bread and butter and it doesn't seem to hurt them much, especially if they're the only one adding subs instead of losing them, even if it is a byproduct of them being added to more packages. I mean, gently caress, I got to watch curling on TV. Find me another channel that is willing to do that. You won't.

Also F1 has the problem NASCAR has right now: it peaked years ago, and it's still trying to recapture the lightning, but that's a discussion for the Worst Thread.

Also also, I have to give the college networks (B1G Ten Network, SEC Network, etc) credit where credit is due. Yeah, they'll broadcast the big stuff like basketball and football, but they also happily broadcast wrestling and gymnastics, niche sports that wouldn't get TV time otherwise.

I feel the actual bigger problem for F1 is going to be what UFC is going through. Someone just bought them for all the billions and goes "Well gently caress, now we need to make a shitload more money. Where do we squeeze it from?"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Akileese posted:

I feel the actual bigger problem for F1 is going to be what UFC is going through. Someone just bought them for all the billions and goes "Well gently caress, now we need to make a shitload more money. Where do we squeeze it from?"

F1 has a lot of problems, and of course money is one, but the on track product is utter trash except in the midfield (and even then it feels like the positions are decided by pit stops). They don't even have a streaming service setup, all broadcasts have to use the same live feed, so it leads to some interesting moments when you're watching NBCSN when they expect one replay and get a totally different one, and they are very quick to fire takedown notices to whatever unofficial youtube channel posts videos from races.

Who knows, maybe they're right. Maybe Fox or CBS may pay more to have them on their channels, but I highly doubt they'd get onto the broadcast channels except for the US GP instead of some cable channel (which, is a somewhat legit gripe that I'll give them). I don't expect them to get too much more anyway even if they do switch.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

CBS really doesn't care about it's own sports channel. It's mainly for whatever mid-major football/basketball they have the rights to.

In other news, if you've heard about the American Sports Network (another outlet for mid-majors) it sounds like it's gone

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/10/more-sacked-at-sinclair

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, as a general statement, if you want to draw in viewership, and your first line of action is not "COPY THE NBA", you're doing it wrong.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Vertical Lime posted:

CBS really doesn't care about it's own sports channel. It's mainly for whatever mid-major football/basketball they have the rights to.

In other news, if you've heard about the American Sports Network (another outlet for mid-majors) it sounds like it's gone

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/10/more-sacked-at-sinclair

I had no idea this channel existed until the other night when I put it on to see how many people actually showed up to the A10 tournament (not many)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Even they got caught off guard by it. They were airing it in the middle of the night with basically no promotion when it suddenly exploded and started getting legit ratings.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

IIRC it was filling airtime in the summer on several months delay and it did so well that they started showing multiple events throughout the whole year.

It also didn't hurt that Chris Moneymaker was a completely random everydude who everyone got behind.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Not to mention online poker was still legal in the US at the time it got big.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

General topic, but why does ESPN love UNC-Duke so much?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because it brings ratings.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

IIRC it was filling airtime in the summer on several months delay and it did so well that they started showing multiple events throughout the whole year.

It also didn't hurt that Chris Moneymaker was a completely random everydude who everyone got behind.

That and them figuring out how to show the players' cards really turned into A Thing for a very weird like 3-4 year stretch

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kibner posted:

Because it brings ratings.

Yep, to the general audience it's THE college basketball matchup.

E: and because there's nothing going on else in this season. Not that ESPN cares about, anyway.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

iospace posted:

F1 has a lot of problems, and of course money is one, but the on track product is utter trash except in the midfield (and even then it feels like the positions are decided by pit stops). They don't even have a streaming service setup, all broadcasts have to use the same live feed, so it leads to some interesting moments when you're watching NBCSN when they expect one replay and get a totally different one, and they are very quick to fire takedown notices to whatever unofficial youtube channel posts videos from races.

Who knows, maybe they're right. Maybe Fox or CBS may pay more to have them on their channels, but I highly doubt they'd get onto the broadcast channels except for the US GP instead of some cable channel (which, is a somewhat legit gripe that I'll give them). I don't expect them to get too much more anyway even if they do switch.

I agree entirely, but how the gently caress do you fix the on track product? As it stands you get what, maybe 1-2 exciting races a year? Making the tires larger and having everyone breaking records is going to make it even harder to pass.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's the Michigan-Ohio State of basketball. As long as they're both good, it will get hyped endlessly.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because ACC (and OG Big East) basketball are like the longest running things they have

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

iospace posted:

poker on tv took off because online poker became a thing and had ridiculous advertising budgets

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN used to run like 10-hour blocks of poker during the summer when nothing else was going on. And I usually watched it all the way through despite myself. The way they presented it was strangely compelling.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Poker pales in comparison to the sport of kings, World's Strongest Man.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Rounders was a lot of the reason it took off although I am a TV hipster and can claim I discovered it earlier because I found a book in the library about it, and would watch it on both ESPN and Fox Sports.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Akileese posted:

I agree entirely, but how the gently caress do you fix the on track product? As it stands you get what, maybe 1-2 exciting races a year? Making the tires larger and having everyone breaking records is going to make it even harder to pass.

Yeah... that's a discussion for the Worst Thread as a whole, but if F1 wants to make inroads in the market, getting into an open slapfight with the one network who is currently broadcasting you won't help matters, because at that point, you may not have someone broadcasting you after that.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I loving hate those two teams with a burning, flaming passion, but I will give them this, it is a historic and legendary rivalry, and one that rose organically unlike half the ones they shove down your throats these days (I'm looking at you, NHL on NBC and your "Rivalry Night").

And it's a huge ratings draw.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ice To Meet You posted:

Poker pales in comparison to the sport of kings, World's Strongest Man.

WSM is dropping the ball considering The Mountain is a legit contender and an American is champ. Although all pale in comparison in Magnus ver Magnusson.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there was no better ESPN content than coming home at 2AM, flipping on the World Wide Leader, and seeing a bunch of giant Scandinavian dudes walking around wearing cars while grimacing and shaking

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I tell ya, as a teenager I loved watching muscular mean lifting balls onto pedestals.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lumberjack Games…how I miss them.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

love to stump the schwab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Who has the WSM rights these days, anyway? You'd think some network would capitalize on the growing nostalgia for random poo poo ESPN2 used to air 10 years ago.