Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
The description for Hermetics mentions that they have some ideas from Jewish Kabbalah which I assume is why they are included as a potential society for Jewish characters. Are there any events that harken to Jewish folklore (Golems, dybbuks, etc.) or is it just the scholarship focus on steroids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Once you stop being tribal what is there to spend masses of prestige you get from raids on? Granted immortality is exacerbating this issue, but prestige seems basically useless and I have so much of it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

Once you stop being tribal what is there to spend masses of prestige you get from raids on? Granted immortality is exacerbating this issue, but prestige seems basically useless and I have so much of it.

That is pretty much just how prestige works.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Marrying peasants. Changing culture or religion.

Prestige isn't really meant to be spent by the average character. It possibly ebbs by event but is meant to skyrocket ever higher.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

spectralent posted:

Personally I've been spending it on improvements for my still-tribal vassals, at least the sufficiently loyal ones, so they can get more powerful.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

High prestige is good in its own right for the opinion bonus it provides from your vassals.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

darthbob88 posted:

Personally I've been spending it on improvements for my still-tribal vassals, at least the sufficiently loyal ones, so they can get more powerful.

This is a good idea, never thought of that. But yeah it's mostly just this:

Captain Mediocre posted:

High prestige is good in its own right for the opinion bonus it provides from your vassals.

Also doesn't a portion of your dynasty's prestige overall pass to yer kids to give them a leg up on it?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Captain Mediocre posted:

Doesn't that cap out at 1K, though? You get that from one decent raid after you feudalise.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Prestige and piety contribute to your overall score, too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else having the Rise of the Hansa (if it's in their domain) crash them? It's not something I can trigger reliably, but it's happened twice this game. When I reload a previous save, the event doesn't pop... and it didn't for like ten ingame years, so it's hard to test.

EDIT: Okay, third time worked, but I wasn't looking at where the title forms and I was previously. That could be it, I guess? or maybe the game is just buggy

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 11, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've somehow had a revolt title pass on to me without passing the war onto me. Can I destroy it, somehow?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So one of my councilors heard rumors of a lost artifact and wanted me let him search for it. I agreed and got the modifier Paying for Artifact Search which is eating 7.5% of my tax revenue. That was fine initially and all, but this search has lasted years and killed two councilors now. At this point, I just want it to go away but I can't find any option to cancel the search. Is there a way to do that?

Fake edit: worth noting that I currently do not have a councilor actively searching for the artifact because I don't want any more of them to die but I'm still losing the tax revenue.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cock hero flux posted:

are horses supposed to start plots or is this because I had him possessed by demons?

Crusader Kings 2: are horses supposed to start plots

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Look, I think there's only one thing worth the new thread title, and it's something I said to myself and then realized exactly what the gently caress I had just said:

Crusader Kings II: rear end in a top hat murdered my daughter, I was planning on eating her!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Honky Dong Country posted:

This is a good idea, never thought of that. But yeah it's mostly just this:

Also doesn't a portion of your dynasty's prestige overall pass to yer kids to give them a leg up on it?
Yes, but dynasty prestige is different from personal prestige. It's basically the mechanical equivalent of "The Von Shitburgs have produced a dozen emperors, fifty kings and queens, a hundred dukes, two hundred counts, a thousand barons, and Neville who's pretty cool".

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Did they remove the ability to convert to a province's culture in the new patch? I can't find it anywhere.

EDIT: And as I type it I see it is on you own character's diplo screen.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

darthbob88 posted:

Yes, but dynasty prestige is different from personal prestige. It's basically the mechanical equivalent of "The Von Shitburgs have produced a dozen emperors, fifty kings and queens, a hundred dukes, two hundred counts, a thousand barons, and Neville who's pretty cool".

Empress Alvor af Munso has been alive so long she, alone, is the most prestigious dynasty in Europe. Hail to the Queen.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I just noticed that if you're a Catholic Satanist the religion icon in the toolbar is inverted to be an upside down cross. Great touch.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I really do love Court Physicians. My current dynasty has a certain careless disregard for their own safety that ends with hiring a possessed lunatic poisoner to tend their health (spoiler: it didn't end well), or deciding to take a highly risky and experimental procedure to cure...food poisoning (it was cutting out an eye and it worked). There's just so much character packed into that small feature.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Zeron posted:

I really do love Court Physicians. My current dynasty has a certain careless disregard for their own safety that ends with hiring a possessed lunatic poisoner to tend their health (spoiler: it didn't end well), or deciding to take a highly risky and experimental procedure to cure...food poisoning (it was cutting out an eye and it worked). There's just so much character packed into that small feature.

They mix well with the Hermetic society. I got a Renowned Physician, Mystic with 18 learning and 16 intrigue named Ravi, he cured my family so I made him my apprentice. Me and Ravi man, we built the world's best laboratory (and pissed away the fortune my parent/g-p made), we found tablets and relics and watched the stars.

Then I got The Cancer. Ravi offered to heal me of course, but there was a new option I hadn't seen before so I took it. He cut his own throat and his life cures my cancer! Ravi you will be remembered. I don't know if that's a new event or not.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Zeron posted:

In my current muslim game I landed and married mine to one of my daughters. I felt the guy had earned it after he personally saved the lives of me and all of my kids through a back to back set of epidemics. Dude fuckin' earned that county.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Man, playing as the vassal of a mega blob sucks. I joined the HRE, hoping to eat away at the coast and get the "Frisian Coast is Long" achievement. Literally every time I manage to fabricate a claim, REALM PEACE. It's like he is saving it for me. The only way I could break out would be to kidnap the emperor, but then I would never be able to conquer this mega stable blob.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That's my fav thing. Giving land to people that even you go wow man you loving earned this.

Then all his kids are shitheads who hate me gently caress you ain't done poo poo gimmie that castle back

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The new "a commander has improved his skills" event produces some godly commanders, I like giving land to those guys.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Man, playing as the vassal of a mega blob sucks. I joined the HRE, hoping to eat away at the coast and get the "Frisian Coast is Long" achievement. Literally every time I manage to fabricate a claim, REALM PEACE. It's like he is saving it for me. The only way I could break out would be to kidnap the emperor, but then I would never be able to conquer this mega stable blob.

The AI does in fact go out of its way to gently caress you with realm peace, it's smart like that.

In my current game, starting as a count under a quadruple duke who controlled nearly half the land in the kingdom to my 3 counties, I saved up money for mercs and pounced on a good opportunity to take one of his four duchy titles (the one I already controlled all 3 counties of), win the first big battle and--gently caress you, realm peace.

I save scummed it to see what was up, because from the king's perspective it makes no sense: the quad-duke was powerful enough to be a serious threat to the throne, they didn't like each other, and my breaking free of him and becoming a small time duke instead would weaken the king's most dangerous vassal. So why in the hell would the king use realm peace to prevent this from happening?

I figured my liege must be using a favor to get the king to do it--but he doesn't have a favor to call in and doesn't have the money to buy one (and even if he did the king SHOULD refuse because political concerns). So the king is actually doing it on his own. Which can only mean he knows which vassal's-vassal is The Player and this the most dangerous noble in the kingdom, and is acting accordingly.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Did they remove the ability to convert to a province's culture in the new patch? I can't find it anywhere.

EDIT: And as I type it I see it is on you own character's diplo screen.

The same goes for changing to their religion. FALSELY changing to their religion is where it used to be, on the intrigue screen.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Man, being a Hermetic is starting to feel like being a junkie. Stressed/depressed is happening every few months, but it's all okay as long as I can get my potion fix...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
It took 19 years for my Diplo 23 chancellor to fabricate my first claim so I could go from Count to Duke :saddowns:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

How do I get people to elect my highly suspicious known satanist nicknamed "the ill-ruler" son as their king :saddowns: After I've granted him his own lands he pretty much turned Ramsey Bolton

E: WTF one of my provinces somehow now belongs to the king of nortumberland who is (and was for a while) my prisoner. And there is nothing I can do about it! I can't DOW because he is my prisoner, he won't accept vassalizaion, what can I do here? Maybe torture him and this will somehow help?????

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 11, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think I've run into a bug. I'm playing sweden from a 769 start where I managed to research boats early and I've done some raiding, but last night I was suddenly unable to first raid muslims, and then everyone. I assumed it was a one off quirk with disease and war driving the lootable money below the threshold and went to bed.

I start playing today and I can't raid anywhere. The full amount is available but its all behind the loot "wall", even on bumfuck nowhere irish provinces that only have tribal huts and churches.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Seriously, any tips with elections? It seems much harder in the new version, right now evererybody votes for whoever has the highest diplomacy and that's that. Also, who are the electors? Why's isn't my son an elector despite being a duke?

I think Paradox might have screwed up their mean time to happen calculations. I've been sitting on 127 % plot to kill someone for about 15 years now and never received even one attempt.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 11, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've also noticed that plots are not working properly. Autoinvite isn't inviting anyone and I often have to restart a plot to make it fire.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

verbal enema posted:

That's my fav thing. Giving land to people that even you go wow man you loving earned this.

Then all his kids are shitheads who hate me gently caress you ain't done poo poo gimmie that castle back

My favourite one of these was a genius peasant my Norse king plucked out of some obscure danish village to be his concubine and spymaster, a job she did very well. He died early and I ended up in a regency with her as the regent. Steadily over the next ten years she kept stealing my counties for herself until at one point she was literally the most powerful land-owner in the empire. It pissed me off a lot but I respect the skill required to go from a dirt farm to the palace.

When I came of age, I took back almost all my counties but I left her one because I felt she had earned it. She spent the rest of her life trying to kill me.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The hermetic society seems really, really strong if you are going to play a long game because you can just pile up magnum opuses and get massive stat boosts assuming your guy isn't a retard and can't make 10 learning with scholarship or theology

Also the papacy seems really into india and mongolia these days. Those are challenging places to get to from lets say spain. Especially when Egypt is still ruled by a muslim caliph.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 11, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Seriously, any tips with elections? It seems much harder in the new version, right now evererybody votes for whoever has the highest diplomacy and that's that. Also, who are the electors? Why's isn't my son an elector despite being a duke

Yeah, I don't know if it's a bug or working as designed but It seems like the patch changed something so that Elective is pretty much never going to get you a ruler you want. It's a positive change IMO because Elective was always supposed to suck but even after the changes around the time of Conclave it was too easy to hand pick your successor as long as your vassals reasonably liked you.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, you can still beat the system by hoarding all the duke titles yourself or only having 1-2 dukes but still. This isn't a popularity contest, there should be other factors when AI weighs the candidates other than just DIP skill.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So, in the middle of my game as empress of Britannia, I can't get my armies to go into gallies anymore. Be it if I try with a whole army in an armada of boats or 1 guy in 1 boat. It seems like everyone's deathly afraid of boats all of a sudden.

Which is kinda painful when you live on an island and want to go on a crusade in Spain. I've tried restarting the game, but that didn't help. Also loading an earlier save. Any clues what might be up?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Huh, I've now got a "ruled too long" penalty on some of my vassals. Is this just a hint I need to stop being immortal, or is there something I can do about it?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

spectralent posted:

Huh, I've now got a "ruled too long" penalty on some of my vassals. Is this just a hint I need to stop being immortal, or is there something I can do about it?

Yeah, it's a penalty for being immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Boooooo. It's kind of a shame there's nothing to tie being Fylkir and being immortal together; I can see an obvious "Of course I'm blessed by the gods, I'm immortal" argument to be made.

Though I'm kind of wondering how practical continuing this is going to be anyway; the game's gotten real laggy and crash-y as it's gotten into the 1200s :smith:

• Locked thread