Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

spirit tracks in my underwear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

spirit tracks in my underwear

I hope not, spirit tracks is awful

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

If a paper deserves an A+, it gets an A+. If it doesn't, it doesn't and whining about it is stupid. Same goes for games. Of the games I mentioned, LBW is probably the only perfect score game. BB and TF2 are damned close.

There's nothing wrong in holding things to a high standard. It doesn't mean a 9 is "just good" or a 7 is trash. I wasn't one of myriad weirdos whining when Twlight Princess "only got an 88." So gently caress gently caress off with all that "magical impossible scores that no game could achieve." Like I laid out a pretty good metric there.

That isn't a high standard. If you create something that nothing can reaching without you cheating (LBW has game-breaking glitches among other things so your argument that a game-breaking glitch disqualifies a game from a perfect score doesn't apply to it) then you're not holding things to a high standard, you're doing exactly what you claim you're not: creating an impossible standard.

Again, a reviewer for a movie (for example) that gives it two thumbs up or four stars out of four isn't saying "this is a flawless masterpiece upon which no criticism can be made." Yet for no clear reason video game people want to hold 10/10 up to frankly absurd standards.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 11, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't a high standard. If you create something that nothing can reaching without you cheating (LBW has game-breaking glitches among other things so your argument that a game-breaking glitch disqualifies a game from a perfect score doesn't apply to it) then you're not holding things to a high standard, you're doing exactly what you claim you're not: creating an impossible standard. I

I mentioned give and take on the factors relatively. Some rare game-breaking glitch isn't a deal breaker. Lots of glitches or crashes tend to bring things down. I'm still not sure how it's an impossible standard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I mentioned give and take on the factors relatively.

So does literally every reviewer. People who gave BOTW great scores didn't think the flaws were big enough to lower the score for them personally.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Again, a reviewer for a movie (for example) that gives it two thumbs up or four stars out of four isn't saying "this is a flawless masterpiece upon which no criticism can be made." Yet for no clear reason video game people want to hold 10/10 up to frankly absurd standards.

I do holds movies to a pretty high standard too while also readily enjoying a lot of pretty silly stuff because just because something isn't near perfectly executed in every way doesn't make it unenjoyable. That's the other half of this. A "3 star" movie or "7 point game" is still totally cool. Some janky-rear end "1 thumb mostly up" poo poo can be pretty fun from time to time.

Andrast posted:

So does literally every reviewer. People who gave BOTW great scores didn't think the flaws were big enough to lower the score for them personally.

Harrow made the same point and that's totally fair.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 11, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

Twilight princess is like a 6

It`s got some obvious flaws, one of them being that it's way too linear for no reason, but that's harsh.

In Training posted:

Skyward Sword is a big number 2.

That's too generous.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I had fun with skyward sword, and look back on it more favorably than twilight princess even though I know it's a worse game. At least they tried something new.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I found everything related to wolf link awful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Horizon: Zero Dawn gets an A+ perfect 10/10.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I had fun with skyward sword, and look back on it more favorably than twilight princess even though I know it's a worse game. At least they tried something new.

I don't agree at all. If anything, Skyward Sword was the game that was the most constrained by the pile of formulas the series had accumulated up to that point.

PantsBandit posted:

I found everything related to wolf link awful.

It's really weird that they make you play as Wolf Link a bunch early on, to the point that you see every single trick he has, and then they never, ever add any more mechanics to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I mentioned give and take on the factors relatively. Some rare game-breaking glitch isn't a deal breaker. Lots of glitches or crashes tend to bring things down. I'm still not sure how it's an impossible standard.

This is the exact same thing that gets said by every person who does this. "Oh, I have high standards" and then an utter refusal to commit to actually saying what lives up to those standards. You're hemming and hawing over saying LBW does (and understandably because LBW has a massive boatload of huge design flaws that are ridiculously easy to point out and nobody who actually has high standards would ignore.)

Again, why have 10/10 on a score if it is never used? Why insist that 'perfect' is the highest ranking when no reasonable critic is ever going to pretend like a work is flawless and without error. Even the best movies having gaffs, even the best games have glitches and design flaws, and sometimes something can be a flaw to one person and not to another.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't agree at all. If anything, Skyward Sword was the game that was the most constrained by the pile of formulas the series had accumulated up to that point.

I actually found the motion controlled combat to be a lot of fun and a nice twist on the formula (when it worked). And the world was interesting and colorful even if they didn't do a whole lot with it. I still fondly remember doing combat trials for the dragon and exploring skyloft. Plus it had a great supporting cast. Twilight Princess felt incredibly bland.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skyward Sword at least had the benefit of having more colours than brown.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
while ps2 emulation continues to be a giant shitheap that makes zero progress with devs instead focusing on making weird hacky fixes for every separate game and never actually addressing the core faults of the emulator causing those issues in the first place which leads to already hosed up games sometimes getting even worse, xbox emulation continues to literally not exist

you will never be able to play grabbed by the ghoulies in 1080p

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

while ps2 emulation continues to be a giant shitheap that makes zero progress with devs instead focusing on making weird hacky fixes for every separate game and never actually addressing the core faults of the emulator causing those issues in the first place which leads to already hosed up games sometimes getting even worse, xbox emulation continues to literally not exist

you will never be able to play grabbed by the ghoulies in 1080p

I only care about Metal Wolf Chaos.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

This is the exact same thing that gets said by every person who does this. "Oh, I have high standards" and then an utter refusal to commit to actually saying what lives up to those standards. You're hemming and hawing over saying LBW does (and understandably because LBW has a massive boatload of huge design flaws that are ridiculously easy to point out and nobody who actually has high standards would ignore.)

Again, why have 10/10 on a score if it is never used? Why insist that 'perfect' is the highest ranking when no reasonable critic is ever going to pretend like a work is flawless and without error. Even the best movies having gaffs, even the best games have glitches and design flaws, and sometimes something can be a flaw to one person and not to another.

Even in my criteria, I left room for that. There's give and take between categories. I also explicitly said many of those categories are subjective and the implementation doesn't have to be 100% flawless in literally every respect.

In any case, if you want to have a discussion about flaws in LBW, I'm game. What were the flaws in game design that brought it down for you? Maybe you can swing my opinion about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

I would like to be able to play Otogi 1+2 again :smith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

i'd make a joke about only caring about voodoo vince but that's actually getting an hd rerelease on pc and i'm not going to joke myself into a position that forces me to buy it

so instead i'll say i only care about thousand land

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Let's no-true-Scotsman these games to death.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sakurazuka posted:

I would like to be able to play Otogi 1+2 again :smith:

It would be nice to have Jet Set Radio Future on PC.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Red Bones posted:

It would be nice to have Jet Set Radio Future on PC.

:yeah:

Everyone needs to have a chance to understand the concept of love.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Skyward Sword at least had the benefit of having more colours than brown.

I was super loving disappointed with how Skyward Sword looked because early concept art and interviews made it sound like they wanted the game to feel like a 3D impressionist painting, but all that amounted to in the final product was a barely-noticeable effect on the draw distance. I mean yeah it's colorful but it didn't have nearly as much style as promised. It might just be technical limitations because the Wii wasn't a very powerful console, but it was a big letdown.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Even in my criteria, I left room for that. There's give and take between categories. I also explicitly said many of those categories are subjective and the implementation doesn't have to be 100% flawless in literally every respect.

In any case, if you want to have a discussion about flaws in LBW, I'm game. What were the flaws in game design that brought it down for you? Maybe you can swing my opinion about it.

Hell, I love LBW. I've finished it like half a dozen times and I think it's one of my favorite games ever. but here are just a few of its major flaws:

A) It is absurdly easy, basically impossible to die on after a certain point, and the 'hard' mode is locked behind finishing the game.
B) The dungeons are designed around specific items and as such have a massive constraint on how puzzles can be designed because it can never assume you have access to specific items, especially since you can lose items by dying.
C) The game's ease covers a massive flaw in that it overly punishes unskilled players by forcing them to grind money upon death or savescum just to advance the game.If you have genuinely bad players they're at risk of getting trapped into a constant grinding-losing-grinding cycle. If it was a harder game it would suffer badly for having a bad punishment cycle and it only gets around it by being so easy 90% of players probably die fewer than 3 times in the entire game. Connected to this is that the game is also absurdly over-generous with rupees because it has to compensate for that other 10% and so anyone even remotely good at the game probably has more rupees than the game gives you anything to buy with.
D) It's world map and general design is a straight rehash of LTTP and while it does enough to remain different it's hard to avoid that it only is a hair away from being the New Super Mario Bros of Zelda. This stands out most with Lorule which is just a budget knockoff of the Dark World and has very little original design to it, choosing instead to just limply repeat areas from the Dark World despite that making no real sense. It's actually very lacking in design creativity, pushing heavily on nostalgia to cover that fact. (And sometimes even relying on nostalgia to cover the fact it's doing a more normal thing, like how the Blind-knockoff boss is actually just a real boss and you genuinely save a girl instead of it being a trick.)

It's still an amazing game and one which I think is genuinely wonderful but I don't think it's perfect or even close, discounting glitches or other flaws. I don't think it's wrong for someone to give it a 10/10 though because the flaws I mentioned are serious to some people (especially the game's ease/locking away of Hero Mode which a lot of people have complained about) but that doesn't mean they're serious to everyone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What the gently caress is LBW.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

One of the best Zelda games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

Little Big Wlanet

(Link Between Worlds)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Link's Big Wedding.

CJacobs posted:

(Link Between Worlds)

Oh yeah, that game rules. I wish it'd been a bit longer though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Hell, I love LBW. I've finished it like half a dozen times and I think it's one of my favorite games ever. but here are just a few of its major flaws:

A) It is absurdly easy, basically impossible to die on after a certain point, and the 'hard' mode is locked behind finishing the game.
B) The dungeons are designed around specific items and as such have a massive constraint on how puzzles can be designed because it can never assume you have access to specific items, especially since you can lose items by dying.
C) The game's ease covers a massive flaw in that it overly punishes unskilled players by forcing them to grind money upon death or savescum just to advance the game.If you have genuinely bad players they're at risk of getting trapped into a constant grinding-losing-grinding cycle. If it was a harder game it would suffer badly for having a bad punishment cycle and it only gets around it by being so easy 90% of players probably die fewer than 3 times in the entire game. Connected to this is that the game is also absurdly over-generous with rupees because it has to compensate for that other 10% and so anyone even remotely good at the game probably has more rupees than the game gives you anything to buy with.
D) It's world map and general design is a straight rehash of LTTP and while it does enough to remain different it's hard to avoid that it only is a hair away from being the New Super Mario Bros of Zelda. This stands out most with Lorule which is just a budget knockoff of the Dark World and has very little original design to it, choosing instead to just limply repeat areas from the Dark World despite that making no real sense. It's actually very lacking in design creativity, pushing heavily on nostalgia to cover that fact. (And sometimes even relying on nostalgia to cover the fact it's doing a more normal thing, like how the Blind-knockoff boss is actually just a real boss and you genuinely save a girl instead of it being a trick.)

It's still an amazing game and one which I think is genuinely wonderful but I don't think it's perfect or even close, discounting glitches or other flaws. I don't think it's wrong for someone to give it a 10/10 though because the flaws I mentioned are serious to some people (especially the game's ease/locking away of Hero Mode which a lot of people have complained about) but that doesn't mean they're serious to everyone.

B is a given for many open games (and recurs in other Zelda games even) but I never actually considered C. That's a really good point about how the game could lock a very poor player into a lock cycle. Like you pointed out, the game does compensate for that by giving out tons of rupees. But, fair points.

To be fair, I started this out by saying I was surprised BotW had such universal acclaim (not that any one person gave it a 10) and I think I know why because of something RealHurthling said. The sound design is weak. That is one of those categories that has a really strong effect on me. It's why I have a hard time hating on Phil Fish too much, it's why I love Final Fantasy despite a lot of constant problems with it, it's why I loved Horizon despite some really glaring flaws, and it's why Xenoblade Chronicles X quickly evaporated from my memory, since the horrifically bad sound design sort of poisoned everything. It's definitely a big part of big "x factor" in how I rate things in my head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

B is a given for many open games (and recurs in other Zelda games even) but I never actually considered C. That's a really good point about how the game could lock a very poor player into a lock cycle. Like you pointed out, the game does compensate for that by giving out tons of rupees. But, fair points.

To be fair, I started this out by saying I was surprised BotW had such universal acclaim (not that any one person gave it a 10) and I think I know why because of something RealHurthling said. The sound design is weak. That is one of those categories that has a really strong effect on me. It's why I have a hard time hating on Phil Fish too much, it's why I love Final Fantasy despite a lot of constant problems with it, it's why I loved Horizon despite some really glaring flaws, and it's why Xenoblade Chronicles X quickly evaporated from my memory, since the horrifically bad sound design sort of poisoned everything. It's definitely a big part of big "x factor" in how I rate things in my head.

That''s fair, and I think that's a totally valid reason to dislike the game. I absolutely wasn't saying there is anything wrong with disliking Zelda at all and I think there's a good bunch of reasons to dislike it even without taking sound design into account.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Clearly the solution to trying to figure out what a 10/10 would be is to remove it entirely and rate games on a scale of 1 to 9.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's how the American Taekwondo Association works... 9th degree black belt is the highest degree. You know, except for when they posthumously awarded their founder a 10th degree blackbelt.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lurdiak posted:

Leg before wicket

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Clearly the solution to trying to figure out what a 10/10 would be is to remove it entirely and rate games on a scale of 1 to 9.

It's more of a 4-10 scale, honestly. As long as it's released by a major publisher, it could just be a case with a circle of rusty metal inside and you'd struggle to find a review site giving it a 3.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Well gently caress. I was playing BotW and suddenly at the beginning of a fight, I got huge GPU-error looking graphical artifacts on the whole left side of the screen, and the very left edge of my gamepad. It was only ingame and not on the home menu/Wii U system menu, but jesus christ. I'm gonna leave the thing off for the night and hope it gets better.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkBpSCuNrwg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn gets an A+ perfect 10/10.

the combat is so good.

Red Bones posted:

It's more of a 4-10 scale, honestly. As long as it's released by a major publisher, it could just be a case with a circle of rusty metal inside and you'd struggle to find a review site giving it a 3.

computer gaming world used to put a 1 star or 0 star review in every issue and it was great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Despite having a ton of new games I ended up playing the remaster of Arkham Asylum the other day and I'd forgotten how much fun the combat in that was, before it got bogged down with a million different gadgets and enemy types in later games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
1/10 games are funny because they are always irredeemable and it's always a real head scratcher as to why anyone worked on the game to begin with. There's a definite stench of developers being sold on lies by producers and executives whether about funding or committed features. If it's not that, it's the other way where someone unwise had a mediocre idea and got bad devs to work on it and everyone gave up at some point but they pushed it out to recoup money anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
There was a remaster of Arkham Asylum?

• Locked thread