Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sinestro posted:

loving Logan just lost me my best friend I think

he hates me and will probably never talk to me again

how the gently caress was I supposed to know that Professor Xavier was going to make him upset because it reminded him of his grandfather? he was the one who said he was spoiled on the flim and we both knew nothing

what the gently caress does that have anything to do with me not liking the movie? like he sent me a text about not wanting me to make fun of it when we were on the way out and he was staying behind but loving surprise I turned my phone off in a goddamn loving movie theater

I'm having a panic attack but I already took more of my Xanax than I'm supposed to and I don't want to actually die over this (very much)

What the hell? I thought it was a pretty cool movie. His daughter was badass. But obviously if your friend was that upset about the movie there is a bigger issue at play. The good news, which I am sure you already know, is that you can't really OD on Xanax. You will just black out, wake up tomorrow, and probably read about a bunch of dumb rear end messages you sent to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ahhhh, Xanax is friendly as long as you don't mix it with alcohol. Booze+Benzo=:tootzzz:/:nono:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Holy poo poo its funny watching cats post being washed! Fanatical grooming is the only way to describe it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The Door Frame posted:

Ahhhh, Xanax is friendly as long as you don't mix it with alcohol. Booze+Benzo=:tootzzz:/:nono:

So glad I can't take Xanax anymore because of my job. Even though it really works for my panic attacks, I did abuse it otherwise. I mixed that and booze a few too many times and did some stupid rear end poo poo.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 11, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

beep-beep car is go posted:

What do you guys call the State Police?

I grew up in MA, and they've always been "Staties". My wife grew up in Upstate NY, and they've been "Troopers" and when we first started dating, she though it was weird that I called them Staties. Now I'm wondering what other nicknames people have for their state police.

We just have the local cops, the county cops, and the Highway Patrol here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sinestro posted:

how the gently caress was I supposed to know that Professor Xavier was going to make him upset because it reminded him of his grandfather? he was the one who said he was spoiled on the flim and we both knew nothing

what the gently caress does that have anything to do with me not liking the movie? like he sent me a text about not wanting me to make fun of it when we were on the way out and he was staying behind but loving surprise I turned my phone off in a goddamn loving movie theater

I'm having a panic attack but I already took more of my Xanax than I'm supposed to and I don't want to actually die over this (very much)

Somebody in this post has mental issues...But it isn't you.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sinestro posted:

Protip: if you lose a friend in an argument over a movie, that was not your best friend. If you were both just wasted and laugh about it the next day, they might be your best friend.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What kind of balls do you have to have to slip your your number on an 8% tip?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So glad I can't take Xanax anymore because of my job. Even though it really works for my panic attacks, I did abuse it otherwise. I mixed that and booze a few too many times and did some stupid rear end poo poo.

Yeah... I mix more often than I should, but I'm usually pretty responsible about my drug use

Except I'm starting to get low blood pressure when I drink now. I apparently passed out almost immediately after standing up last weekend while drinking at a friend's place. I just woke up on the floor, completely lucid, except I didn't know I had stood up from the couch or that I had fallen

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

In Australia we have state police and then federal police. If the federal police are talking to you you are in Very Serious Trouble...

Fed police don't touch Day to day stuff- they deal mostly with terrorism, drug importation, airport security, fed government security and there's a bunch of exceedingly grumpy ones who are forced to be normal cops in the ACT. They don't have ANY sense of humour.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

if you don't use YNAB for your spending you might try using a spreadsheet for forecasting your income and known expenses (with due dates) so that this kind of thing doesn't sneak up on you. i own YNAB and just can't deal with the tedium of tracking where every single penny goes but forecasting has worked well for me.

YNAB went to a subscription service this year. :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ferremit posted:

In Australia we have state police and then federal police. If the federal police are talking to you you are in Very Serious Trouble...

Fed police don't touch Day to day stuff- they deal mostly with terrorism, drug importation, airport security, fed government security and there's a bunch of exceedingly grumpy ones who are forced to be normal cops in the ACT. They don't have ANY sense of humour.

Yeah, we've got em too, it's called the FBI. If you're ever talking to one of them you have hosed Up.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Got involved in a discussion on my wife's FB about truck and trailer GVWR and when you need a CDL and zomg I want that hour of my life back.

Short answer: ask a transport officer *in your state*. Be very careful about anything that crosses state lines.

Long answer: look at the tag on the door of your pulling vehicle. If the GVWR is 26k or less you should be ok.

Look at the mfg plate on your trailer. If 10k or less you're good. If over 10k, it depends on how your state interprets and enforces the federal motor carrier rules, and whether or not you are engaged in business.

Some people claim that their state adds the individual mfg gross weight ratings of the truck and trailer, and if that is over 26k you need a CDL. I say that's retarded because if you actually did that, the truck could be grossly overloaded. In the example that was given, a 1 ton Ford truck had a GVWR of 14k, and they had a horse trailer with a GVWR of 12.2k. If you actually loaded the 6k curb weighed truck down with 8k of gravel rock let's say, then tried to hook up a trailer that weighed 12k, you would be wayyyy over the mfg GCWR of 19.5k.

I demonstrated that their vehicle with trailer fully loaded would have an actual estimated weight of about 15k. In SC, you need weighted tags on the truck, but so long as you're not using this vehicle to engage in business, you're ok with a regular license.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Building chat -- is there a tangible benefit from going to a dedicated lumber yard for 2x4s instead of just picking up some sticks at Home Depot?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seminal Flu posted:

Building chat -- is there a tangible benefit from going to a dedicated lumber yard for 2x4s instead of just picking up some sticks at Home Depot?

Even up here in the land of trees, I find a lot of the lumber at lowes and HD isn't particularly good. Generally I order from a lumber chain that charges a flat 20 dollar fee for delivery which is a no brainer compared to renting a truck.

Sinestro posted:

you need better friends

Liquid Communism posted:

YNAB went to a subscription service this year. :(

that's YNAB+, i have the old version from steam. isn't that still available?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Seminal Flu posted:

Better lumber. You really have to pick thru the Home Depot stuff to find boards that aren't twisted and full of knots.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
HD lumber is garbage.

scrubs season six posted:

I love those old Justys. CVT?

Nope, the CVTs aren't particularly reliable so I went for a manual. Also just got the full FSM for it so now I can rebuild my spare motor and trans and drive it again.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That kinda confirms my thoughts on the lumber... I'll go to the local dedicated lumber yard. I need to go there anyway to get doors to match what I've got now. Thanks!

Edit: looking at the stock list for the local lumber yard and yeah, they've got a shitload more selection in stock than HD. So now I just need to get working.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 11, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Got involved in a discussion on my wife's FB about truck and trailer GVWR and when you need a CDL and zomg I want that hour of my life back.

Short answer: ask a transport officer *in your state*. Be very careful about anything that crosses state lines.

Long answer: look at the tag on the door of your pulling vehicle. If the GVWR is 26k or less you should be ok.

Look at the mfg plate on your trailer. If 10k or less you're good. If over 10k, it depends on how your state interprets and enforces the federal motor carrier rules, and whether or not you are engaged in business.

Some people claim that their state adds the individual mfg gross weight ratings of the truck and trailer, and if that is over 26k you need a CDL. I say that's retarded because if you actually did that, the truck could be grossly overloaded. In the example that was given, a 1 ton Ford truck had a GVWR of 14k, and they had a horse trailer with a GVWR of 12.2k. If you actually loaded the 6k curb weighed truck down with 8k of gravel rock let's say, then tried to hook up a trailer that weighed 12k, you would be wayyyy over the mfg GCWR of 19.5k.

I demonstrated that their vehicle with trailer fully loaded would have an actual estimated weight of about 15k. In SC, you need weighted tags on the truck, but so long as you're not using this vehicle to engage in business, you're ok with a regular license.

Your friend was right, if the GVWR of the truck and trailer combined is over 26,000lbs, you need a CDL, provided the weight rating of the trailer is over 10,000lbs. It doesn't actually have to weigh 26,000lbs. That's federal motor carrier law.

Edit: http://www.hotshotcarrier.com/CDL_License.php

rdb fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 11, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

There was meme I saw in the DIY forum that summed it up perfect wish I could find it. Short story yes, HD and Lowes sucks for decent lumber unless you're building a half assed dog house or something.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Your friend was right, if the GVWR of the truck and trailer combined is over 26,000lbs, you need a CDL, provided the weight rating of the trailer is over 10,000lbs. It doesn't actually have to weigh 26,000lbs. That's federal motor carrier law.

Edit: http://www.hotshotcarrier.com/CDL_License.php

This is why I appended my statement with *in SC*. The transport police were burning people up for this, as it falls marginally within federal rules for requiring CDL, and/or DOT numbers if operating a business.

Our governor put a stop to it. In SC, transport police will only stop and cite if the tow vehicle has a GVWR over 26k (or they see something very unsafe). The only reason I know this, is because we had a presentation from DOT on Wednesday, and he told us about it. He said they were really hitting the lawn care guys, who are also actually doing business and thus fall under federal motor carrier just with a trailer rated over 10k, but now they let them be.

What's really ridiculous about this scenario is that it potentially encourages using a lower rated tow vehicle or trailer...but for what reason? Why not use a trailer that's rated well above what you're loading on it? Meanwhile in most states you can buy an RV that weighs 40k with air brakes, and need no CDL or inspection or anything.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm not a professional by any means, but in general if I have to buy wood at Home Depot or Lowes, I spend at least 1/2 an hour trying to find boards that aren't badly knotted or warped. If I'm lucky I can find enough to finish my project.

edit: phone decided "buy" = "by"

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 11, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Seminal Flu posted:

Whatcha makin'?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Goober Peas posted:

I'm not a professional by any means, but in general if I have to by wood at Home Depot or Lowes, I spend at least 1/2 an hour trying to find boards that aren't badly knotted or warped. If I'm lucky I can find enough to finish my project.

I agree, I usually go to the local little lumberyards, they have better lumber at a fair price and any HD grade garbage they have is cheaper that the Despot itself.

Work in a real material: Unistrut

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

This is why I appended my statement with *in SC*. The transport police were burning people up for this, as it falls marginally within federal rules for requiring CDL, and/or DOT numbers if operating a business.

Our governor put a stop to it. In SC, transport police will only stop and cite if the tow vehicle has a GVWR over 26k (or they see something very unsafe). The only reason I know this, is because we had a presentation from DOT on Wednesday, and he told us about it. He said they were really hitting the lawn care guys, who are also actually doing business and thus fall under federal motor carrier just with a trailer rated over 10k, but now they let them be.

What's really ridiculous about this scenario is that it potentially encourages using a lower rated tow vehicle or trailer...but for what reason? Why not use a trailer that's rated well above what you're loading on it? Meanwhile in most states you can buy an RV that weighs 40k with air brakes, and need no CDL or inspection or anything.

It's not that hard to get a CDL. I had one 15 years ago but opted not to renew it, they are more expensive.

As far as not needing a license to operate an RV, that's true, if it's under 26k. If it's over, you do need a class B or A. Some states offer a non CDL version just for this purpose.

Keep in mind federal law supersedes state. If your governor directs them not to enforce it that's great. Just don't leave SC. Horse people with duallies and goosenecks generally like to travel and need to be aware of this.

People who haul livestock also need to be aware that every once in a while commercial vehicle enforcement likes to dip tanks at auctions, competitions etc. Don't run dyed diesel and don't delete your DPF. The fines are not worth it.

Edit: actually your right, most states don't give a poo poo. I was most familiar with NYS which does.

rdb fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 11, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DJ Commie posted:

I agree, I usually go to the local little lumberyards, they have better lumber at a fair price and any HD grade garbage they have is cheaper that the Despot itself.

Work in a real material: Unistrut

speaking of unistrut, where's the cheapest place to buy this stuff? i want to make some shelving to hang from my garage ceiling

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dagen H posted:

Whatcha makin'?

Luv with hardwood

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Keep in mind federal law supersedes state. If your governor directs them not to enforce it that's great. Just don't leave SC. Horse people with duallies and goosenecks generally like to travel and need to be aware of this.
Yeah this was almost exactly what I told them. Her husband has a CDL class A, I suggested he take the rig by a weigh station and verify with the DOT cops that she'd be ok in-state. (I have a class A as well, which is how I got roped into this conversation)

We do have CDL class F which is for non-commercial combination over 26k. I wonder though, if she attempts to get her CDL-F in their rig, if the examiner will require current FMC inspection stickers on the truck and trailer, and trailer tags (SC currently doesn't require plates or paying property tax on non-commercial trailers, so most people don't run plates)? Can of worms there.

Also since the class F is only for non commercial, if she hauled out of state to a show that had the potential to win prize money... If caught she's illegal, cause prize money = commercial. The whole thing is just silly to me. She could hook the trailer to my old dually with a GVWR of 11.4k and be totally legal anywhere. New F350...illegal because of a baloney mfg rating.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Darchangel posted:

I have a CTEK, and it's done a fine job so far. I like the interchangeable ends. Handy for attaching a set of ring terminal leads to your bike battery, for example. I mainly got it for the reconditioning and float features.

Another vote for CTEK here.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

BraveUlysses posted:

speaking of unistrut, where's the cheapest place to buy this stuff? i want to make some shelving to hang from my garage ceiling

Home Depot for their SuperStrut house brand, and pricematch hardware against Amazon. I buy the bolts and such from Bolt Depot. I assume local Ag or electrical supplier is cheaper, but might not be wholesale.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What the hell? I thought it was a pretty cool movie. His daughter was badass. But obviously if your friend was that upset about the movie there is a bigger issue at play. The good news, which I am sure you already know, is that you can't really OD on Xanax. You will just black out, wake up tomorrow, and probably read about a bunch of dumb rear end messages you sent to people.

Holy poo poo, you're psychic.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Protip: if you lose a friend in an argument over a movie, that was not your best friend. If you were both just wasted and laugh about it the next day, they might be your best friend.

Yeah, the next morning he called me and we made up. I was just kinda in a weird state at the time I was posting that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Even up here in the land of trees, I find a lot of the lumber at lowes and HD isn't particularly good. Generally I order from a lumber chain that charges a flat 20 dollar fee for delivery which is a no brainer compared to renting a truck.

you need better friends

that's YNAB+, i have the old version from steam. isn't that still available?

Nope, removed from the store in January. :smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Garage update: Door replacement contractor been out to assess and measure. While a "like-for-like" replacement would still be better than what I had before due to build quality, and could be upgraded to a better lock system, he offered me a couple of options: "security" up-and-over door, or metal roller shutter system. I'm going to go for the latter, partly because it's more secure still (stronger, incorporates own alarm system if forced open), partly because the lead time is no worse than a standard replacement, and partly because it will be a visible upgrade for anyone paying attention.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Liquid Communism posted:

Nope, removed from the store in January. :smith:
It's still available to download from their website, but not to purchase. I like ynab4 as well.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have four options for lumber, spending an hour at Home Depot, spending 15 minutes at Home Hardware, spending several hours at an Amish sawmill, or driving at least an hour out of the city to the next-nearest lumber yard (Home Hardware).

At HD I can pick the boards and am that guy when it comes to spending an hour ripping through two piles just to get 6 2x8s, indoors.

At HH I can (and try to) pick the boards out of HD-quality piles outside, but the yard crew will run off and gather everything else while I'm after those 2x6s and I'll end up with hockey sticks for all the rest of my lumber, I've literally been handed boards that came in multiple pieces and given poo poo for giving them poo poo about it.

I know of several local Amish sawmills and they'll sell me anything they can get their hands on, including hardwood that would normally be expensive custom-order through a big box, but all dimensional lumber is rough cut which has its own pros and cons, no pressure-treated. They can also do a lot of custom work which is great for matching old trim and flooring.

Everything else is way too long a drive or is ship-in, thusly, I have wasted countless hours of my life at Home Depot.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got my first scheduled maintaineance for my car, hopefully things go ok.

I can't understate how much more comfortable the ride is on Ohio roads in this thing compared to the old econobox I had. The roads in this state tend to range from "OK" to "Ypres in 1919".

Also the MPG shift going from 25°C to 60°C is absolutely crazy. I mean like 32MPG to over 40MPG (city).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Three-Phase posted:

Also the MPG shift going from 25°C to 60°C is absolutely crazy. I mean like 32MPG to over 40MPG (city).
Wait, what? 60°C ambient temperature? Jesus Christ. How is that even possible? Isn't that higher than the global record?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Wait, what? 60°C ambient temperature? Jesus Christ. How is that even possible? Isn't that higher than the global record?

Confirmed. Ohio does not get up to 140*F. We max out about 108*F or so. Or about 42C weirdo units.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oh. Wow. I meant to use °F. Massive massive brain fart there. :psyduck:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I love guitar this poo poo owns

Sitting here trying to get Nancy Wilson's intro to Crazy On You down and hey where'd them 3 hours just get to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Speaking of which, this showed up in my YouTube feed today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evly0OnAtPk

Stick around for the bass and sax duo at 2:15

• Locked thread