Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

They were trying to hide the dents, scratches, patches, and rust in the ad.

I don't live in a state that requires inspection or anything but this sounds shady.

Do you need a car right away? If you don't, I would keep looking. Based on your post, it sounds like your gut is telling you to walk away. I think your gut is right.

Yeah, I had this sinking feeling the moment I saw it and it got worse as I kept digging further. I kept having this foolish notion that it wasn't so bad and that I could make it work before reality sets in and I face the fact that I don't have the time or means to fix it up myself right now. I'd rather pay $6000 for something in far better condition instead of trying to fix this up.

Plus, I showed another friend a photo of the title and he pointed out that it was registered to an auto repair shop near Lancaster, PA which just raises even more red flags. And a preliminary VIN check indicates 10 past "incidents" but there's no point in buying a report since I'm going to walk away from this.

Probably for the best since this isn't a great time for me to buy another car (especially one that needs some work) since I have other things going on in my life that really take higher priority. I recently started a new job and need to find a new apartment to make the commute work. And it's not like I NEED to have this car since I have a perfectly fine and dependable, though a bit dull and boring, 2013 Impreza that's still going strong. I probably should stay off Craigslist and other ads until I fully settle into a new place.

Well, at least I got that out of my system and now know that I would be perfectly happy driving a 2005-2009 Legacy or Outback. Just need to find one in better condition. Also, I finally got a chance to drive stick. :shobon:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Powershift posted:

pull the codes.

it's misfiring and then trying to protect itself from your hammering.

Forgot to put those in the post — P0300 & P0304. Random misfire and Cyl 4 misfire. The funny thing is, the engine sounded the best it ever has when it was revving itself to redline in park. No misfiring or anything then.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
My wagon run so much better now with the ported and polished turbo and no exhaust leaks. Its like a whole new car.

I think my next thing to solve is the saggy butt. Ive got new KYB GR2 struts on it, but the springs are old and tired. A lot of the rally guys and rallyx guys seem to recommend king standard height springs. Any other options? Also do you carry King Jamal?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
No, no deal on King. Primitive Racing is the place to go for those, they are the US importer.

net work error posted:

I ran out of daylight so I put everything back. Couldn't get that hose off so thankfully I didn't have much to put back.

The thread from NASIOC had a diagram: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2797610

Here's a quick picture I took of it. You can kind of see it there it's the black part that's kind of stripped now.
http://i.imgur.com/p9G5xylh.jpg

Huh. Looks kind of like an EFI connection, I wonder if there is some sort of a tool to get it off. Seems like the best way is to leave that on and pull off the hose?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

jamal posted:

Huh. Looks kind of like an EFI connection, I wonder if there is some sort of a tool to get it off. Seems like the best way is to leave that on and pull off the hose?

I tried that initially but the hose has a metal ring on it that keeps it on there tight enough that yanking it isn't enough.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You could maybe just unbolt that whole plastic thing from the block, then be able to work on it on a bench? That hose is going to have to come off of there, I would probably remove the block and the cut all the way around next to the band clamp.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 5, 2017

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

jamal posted:

You could maybe just unbolt that whole plastic thing from the block, then be able to work on it on a bench? That hose is going to have to come off of there, I would probably remove the block and the cut all the way around next to the band clamp.

I basically cut right at the metal ring, pulled the hose off then used pliers to pull the metal ring off the 1/2" of the hose that was left, on the engine side. On the turbo side I pulled the white plastic connector off the inlet and did the same thing.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

jamal posted:

I considered removing the hose next to it but wasn't sure if that would cause a big spill or not. It's tough to tell from that image but I believe it as running from the base there to the engine itself.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Oh, yeah, now that I go look at a car, that's a coolant line, so maybe not a good idea.

Daft Moose
Jan 10, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with both the 17 Impreza and the previous generation's car?

I'm going to look at a base model sedan tonight (we have a van so we don't need a hatch) as well as a pretty nicely kited out 2015 used hatch with 30k kms on it that I'm interested in as a daily driver and looking for other people's impressions before I go to test drive them.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I haven't driven the previous models, but I just got a '17 5-door, and I really like it. The entertainment system is slightly less temperamental then my wife's Outback, which means it only sometimes doesn't recognize my phone when I plug it in.
Lots of room inside, and fun to drive too.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Not that the Impreza is a fast car but the hatch is faster than the sedan. I don't really know what positive the sedan has over the hatch, but maybe something.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When're the 5 door wrx coming back? I will need a midlife crisis in a few years.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When they figure out how to bring something to the table to compete with the Focus RS

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

I've got Swift springs on my LGT wagon, and while I like the drop, the ride is a bit stiff (paired with Koni inserts). I'm hesitant to run H&R or other sedan springs on the wagon. Is my best bet to import some pinks? I glanced at coilovers, but they all seem super stiff. King makes wagon springs, but the rates seem just as stiff, if not stiffer than, the Swifts.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Well my old wagon (98 Outback) has gained a brand new noise. Sometimes when the car is hot and I'm making a left turn it starts making a loud whining sound that follows engine RPM. It will keep making the sound and the steering wheel shudders a bit making low speed turns as well until I turn it off for a few minutes. Obviously it's the power steering so I checked the fluid and it's full/normal color. Is my pump just dying or is air getting in the lines? How much should I expect to pay to get it fixed?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Well my old wagon (98 Outback) has gained a brand new noise. Sometimes when the car is hot and I'm making a left turn it starts making a loud whining sound that follows engine RPM. It will keep making the sound and the steering wheel shudders a bit making low speed turns as well until I turn it off for a few minutes. Obviously it's the power steering so I checked the fluid and it's full/normal color. Is my pump just dying or is air getting in the lines? How much should I expect to pay to get it fixed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnvnAOc07MI

Power steering o-ring and likely the hose clamps. Easy as poo poo to DIY.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Are there bubbles in the fluid when you check? If so there's definitely air in there.

BloodBag posted:

Try this first since it's dirt cheap and will probably fix it!

I recently had to replace the pump (and steering rack ultimately) in my WRX; the OEM pump itself was 400+ dollars. Not cheap.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I emailed Crawford about the troubles I've had removing the CCV hose on my WRX for the AOS install and here's their advice.

quote:

Hello there, that new connection is glued together at the factory then snapped onto the tube for the hose in our kit. The easy way to get it apart is to take a pair of pliers and squeeze it on its largest diameter, it will snap and fall apart instantly so you can remove the loose components.

Guess I'll just try squeezing it really hard this weekend and seeing if that works. :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
2014 Outback 6 speed ~36k miles

I've noticed recently when I'm putting my car into 1st from a stop that there's a metal grinding noise sometimes as I let up on the clutch. I know this is kind of vague but any idea what they could be?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

BloodBag posted:

I'll check that out thanks. Do you know if the o ring is the same size on a 98?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Ugh, the extendable visors on the FXT are terrible. Because they extend out of the side of the visor closest to the glass, they bump into the EyeSight module. In order to get them to extend you have yo pull the visor toward you, so it blocks more vertical space and now also lays low enough to block the review mirror. None of this would happen if the tab extended from the other side of the flap. I guess you could swap the passenger and the driver side visors, but then you lose your visor mirror.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

2014 Outback 6 speed ~36k miles

I've noticed recently when I'm putting my car into 1st from a stop that there's a metal grinding noise sometimes as I let up on the clutch. I know this is kind of vague but any idea what they could be?

Throw out bearing probably.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

net work error posted:

I emailed Crawford about the troubles I've had removing the CCV hose on my WRX for the AOS install and here's their advice.

Guess I'll just try squeezing it really hard this weekend and seeing if that works. :v:

I think what he means is just hard enough to break the adhesive bond. Although I would have expected the hose to go after that fitting. Sorry I could not be more helpful with this.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I'll check that out thanks. Do you know if the o ring is the same size on a 98?

No idea, you could probably phone up a dealer and get the right thing fast. They aren't that expensive.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

BloodBag posted:

Oh my god your my hero. I have to a T the problem that guy described. I just assumed with 180k miles it was normal and not gently caress with it till something broke. I'll be digging up an o-ring soon.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Ugh, the extendable visors on the FXT are terrible. Because they extend out of the side of the visor closest to the glass, they bump into the EyeSight module. In order to get them to extend you have yo pull the visor toward you, so it blocks more vertical space and now also lays low enough to block the review mirror. None of this would happen if the tab extended from the other side of the flap. I guess you could swap the passenger and the driver side visors, but then you lose your visor mirror.

Hmm. Import right hand drive visors with the mirror on the opposite side and then switch them.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

BloodBag posted:

No idea, you could probably phone up a dealer and get the right thing fast. They aren't that expensive.

Well slight follow up but I had a friend turn the wheel while it was making noise with the cap off and there's no bubbles at all. So there probably isn't air in the lines/cracked o ring. What does that leave, just a dying pump?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Well slight follow up but I had a friend turn the wheel while it was making noise with the cap off and there's no bubbles at all. So there probably isn't air in the lines/cracked o ring. What does that leave, just a dying pump?

Mine had no bubbles either. The pump is pulling fluid from the reservoir and there's a slight air leak around that o-ring that will make the pump whine but not bubble the reservoir. Mine would whine when turning left and the steering wheel would shudder and the whole car would sound like it had torque bind, but it really was that o-ring, and I had no bubbles in the reservoir. Just change the o-ring according to the nasioc instructions and it just may go away. Might as well swap the hose clamps for worm gear clamps while you're in there. I didn't and now my pump-side clamp shows that it's losing tension.

change the o-ring
Bleed the rack<--pdf warning

It's for the impreza, but you'll find the outback is very similar. The system will bleed itself some after you change it. May as well try the cheap option first, because pumps and racks are big money, and you may just end up saving one or both with this fix before it degrades into full blown rack/pump replacement from air intrusion. Also, if you change the pump and not the o-ring and the o-ring was the problem, guess what happens?

Looks like it's part # 11 in this illustration. Part # 34427AA060
available here, for $1.34

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So what are the odds existing models will be eligible for Android Auto firmware updates?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
If I spend a lot of time at high RPM (pulling from 4500RPM to fuel cut a few times, once I floor it again , it tends to stumble. The CEL isn't triggered*, and it seems to do WOT at redline just fine sometimes. I'm checking fuel pressure (the filter is probably OE and from the last century). I just did the timing belt, water pump, and whole ignition system. My ex-wife did mention some misfiring, but I was beating it like I was at a track day, so I hope she wasn't doing 85mph third gear pulls in a 210K mile old 99 Forester.

*kastein this is for you

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Saabaru whines like a bearing is shot (or like it's supercharged) for the first 20 minutes of driving on a cold day, then it quiets down but never goes completely away. Super annoying.

Goes away when I remove the PS/alternator belt.

I'm pretty sure it's the alternator based on where the sound is coming from. Can I easily replace the pulley or whatever you call the part the belt goes over, or does that involve a complicated alternator rebuild?

New alternators are $150. I'm not sure if they're something you'd typically replace over the life of the car, but I'm at 105k miles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's around the time the alternator punked out on my bugeye.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Friend left me his old water pump from his 2008 Forester. Worked fine, he was doing a timing belt job and replaced it. Does anyone want it along with the old Idlers and tensioner?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Geology posted:

Hmm. Import right hand drive visors with the mirror on the opposite side and then switch them.

Nope, the visors are the same -- the flap is on the side that faces the windshield. The extending flap has to be on the side that faces the driver, not the windshield, for it to clear the Eyesight bumps without the visor having to be rotated to a more vertical position. It wouldn't be too hard to cut a piece of stiff plastic for a better overall shape, though. Still, it's a minor complaint for an overall very nice vehicle. (Though I'm beginning to regret blue. I really like the blue, but I swear I'm seeing it everywhere now.)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

jamal posted:

I think what he means is just hard enough to break the adhesive bond. Although I would have expected the hose to go after that fitting. Sorry I could not be more helpful with this.

Wrapped up the install today. I was able to get the hose off following Crawford's instructions and giving the connector a big squeeze. The rest of the install went about as expected. Only issue after the install was the coolant hoses not being on enough so there was a small leak. I think I got it resolved and everything seems alright after a test drive.

Thanks for your help and dealing with my constant questions jamal and everyone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

So what are the odds existing models will be eligible for Android Auto firmware updates?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
-1, because gently caress you, and you're still going to love us and your car because reasons, that's why.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

net work error posted:

Wrapped up the install today. I was able to get the hose off following Crawford's instructions and giving the connector a big squeeze. The rest of the install went about as expected. Only issue after the install was the coolant hoses not being on enough so there was a small leak. I think I got it resolved and everything seems alright after a test drive.

Thanks for your help and dealing with my constant questions jamal and everyone.

Cool. After you drive around a bit and get the car up to temp and then cooled back down make sure the coolant is full at the upper tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

jamal posted:

Cool. After you drive around a bit and get the car up to temp and then cooled back down make sure the coolant is full at the upper tank.

I refilled the coolant earlier and went for a longer drive and no coolant lost. Going to check again tomorrow morning to see if anything else might have leaked.