Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Healbot posted:

Half a week, Japan has had it for longer than two weeks.

The listing is still strange. Why they're pushing an out of stock copy as the one to order when you can go into Used & New and pick Amazon and supposedly get it now, but without discount, is weird. Maybe they're actually out of stock and the system just displays funny so it never implies that 3rd parties are going to give you 20% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If the plat for a game doesn't make well-adjusted people stare and wonder why someone would do that to themselves for a meaningless picture of a trophy, it doesn't count.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I like getting trophies but I don't go out of my way to get them

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

I like getting trophies but I don't go out of my way to get them

Quoting for truth

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Obsurveyor posted:

The listing is still strange. Why they're pushing an out of stock copy as the one to order when you can go into Used & New and pick Amazon and supposedly get it now, but without discount, is weird. Maybe they're actually out of stock and the system just displays funny so it never implies that 3rd parties are going to give you 20% off.
The discount price won't show up until you go to checkout. The whole third party thing is weird. Since that third party listing is cheaper than Amazon's listing it gets priority, but the hidden prime discount would get you a better value.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Obsurveyor posted:

Amazon takes contracts from other sellers to handle games all the time when their stock runs out. It fucks up things like trade in and prime discount that you can only get when an item is sold by amazon.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Idk people who dislike JRPGS but still want to play Nier:A? You and the guy who disliked anime in JRPGs would be great friends :v:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RatHat posted:

The mech's "eyes" turn yellow when they're searching for you and red when they're aggroed but that's about it. I don't really see why someone would complain about that.

It was before Horizon came out and goons were nitpicking trailers so they could say I told you so when/if the game turned out to be bad. Someone said it was lazy to use red eyes=bad to show the aggressive dinosaurs, and the game should have relied entirely on unique animation tells based on the mood of each dinosaur.

It was an insane criticism because it was basically asking for Molyneux-hype-wagon level of complexity and ambition for a minor game element.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah really the eye color changing isn't groundbreaking, but it is a good, non HUD way to basically do what every stealth/stealth lite game does. A very bizarre thing to complain about.

The exposition thing is a valid complaint. Aloy seems to think the player is too stupid to understand the plot points or gameplay sometimes and basically just speaks right over your stream of conscious. It's not a super big deal but I often find myself thinking "yeah I get it Aloy we just watced the same holotape"

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Horizon is a lot better if you play with dynamic hud btw

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah really the eye color changing isn't groundbreaking, but it is a good, non HUD way to basically do what every stealth/stealth lite game does. A very bizarre thing to complain about.

The exposition thing is a valid complaint. Aloy seems to think the player is too stupid to understand the plot points or gameplay sometimes and basically just speaks right over your stream of conscious. It's not a super big deal but I often find myself thinking "yeah I get it Aloy we just watced the same holotape"

to be fair, history shows a lot of gamers are idiots

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I was doubting my decision to drop $3 on "Corn Love" theme but it was definitely worth the "What the gently caress? Why is it corn now?" from downstairs.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I was doubting my decision to drop $3 on "Corn Love" theme but it was definitely worth the "What the gently caress? Why is it corn now?" from downstairs.

nice

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Pie in the Sky is the only Ps4 theme I'll ever need.

I can't find a YouTube video of it, but it reminds me of a Windows 95 screensaver and I like the wind sound.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Rented Horizon last night. Absolutely gorgeous. Even with the Pro I never expected a console game to look so good without some sort of compromise: low FPS, jaggies, low-res textures, low draw distance, something. Not this one. Looks about as good as The Witcher 3 looks on my PC. The gameplay isn't reinventing any wheels from your standard map checklist game but it's super polished and well done, and the visual design is really engaging. I had to look it up on IMDB because I could swear Rost was the same voice as Optimus Prime.

Also Tearaway is very much Not For Me but my 4 year old freaking loves it. He loves pointing the light at things and making them say/do things.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 11, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I played Doom to competition and it made going back to games like Destiny and Overwatch absolutely insufferable. They're so slow by comparison.

The same with Titanfall 2. Playing the MP of that and then going back to something like Overwatch feels like playing in slow motion.

I loved single player DOOM but I would hate playing multiplayer at that speed and lethality. It was the same thing with Titanfall 2 for me. I loved the single player because they did an amazing job of making you feel like a badass and using mobility and environment in cool ways... and the multiplayer was me getting shot in the face every five seconds, forever.

I really appreciate that in Overwatch I feel like I can do stuff before I get killed

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I'm getting another Dualshock 4 and just noticed that Amazon lists "old models." So I tried to look up the difference between the old and new and all I could find was that the light bar is now a strip on the face, not a big shape on the top.

I remember seeing parts of Tearaway where you would project that triangle shape like a flashlight beam and aim it around the screen. Does the light bar being different on the new model mess that up or is it all done with accelerometers or something?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The new one isn't remarkably different. There is a light bar on top and you can plug and play them now but that's about it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

I think the opening premise of the story is good, well-paced and does the Inciting Incident thing well.

I agree? I mean the tone and production values are spotty here and there, and they obviously put way less effort into child Aloy than adult Aloy...

But it's just a prologue and it serves its purpose. Read back through my posts and I think you'll find that I didn't say what you think I said.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Question about the ps4 backup I made last night: I have a 500gb and was struggling to have any space free, in the end about 60gb was free, so 420 used.

When I did the backup it said it was backing up 260gb worth of data. Why the discrepancy? I'm worried it wasn't a proper backup or something.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So Newegg has a deal going where you can get a 2TB SSHD for under $100.

My 500GB launch unit is getting crowded so I'm looking at getting it. Is this generally considered a good drive for the price?

(And yes I know firmware 4.5 lets you use external storage. I don't want to have another drive hanging out of my system so I'm looking to stay internal.)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

macnbc posted:

So Newegg has a deal going where you can get a 2TB SSHD for under $100.

My 500GB launch unit is getting crowded so I'm looking at getting it. Is this generally considered a good drive for the price?

(And yes I know firmware 4.5 lets you use external storage. I don't want to have another drive hanging out of my system so I'm looking to stay internal.)

Bunch of people in the reviews specifically mentioning it's working fine in their PS4s, so go nuts.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
so far I've tried THREE USB drives (one external drive, two sticks) formatted with exfat, to restore the system backup from (I know I need to install the ps4 firmware first, from the PS4/UPDATE folder which is the step I'm on) All three USB drives get "cannot use this USB storage device (CE-35953-5).

Trying FAT32 instead of exFAT, hopefully that helps.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
How well does Stardew play on the PS4? I've played it to death on the PC and tried to get my girlfriend to play it as I think she would really like it, but she really cannot handle using keyboard at all to move around and keeps hitting wrong keys all the time. I think controller would be better for her but then I have a hard time envisioning how it would play with a controller either with inventory management and crafting.

I have no problem throwing CA more money anyways.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
God, I'm so sick of the YouTube signin loop bullshit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also there's still no Nicovideo app for the PS4, even though there's one on the Vita, WiiU and 3ds. It supports it as a way to stream games but not just the watching client.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also there's still no Nicovideo app for the PS4, even though there's one on the Vita, WiiU and 3ds. It supports it as a way to stream games but not just the watching client.
Wait, you can stream to Nico on a Japanese account? that's hosed up

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

Wait, you can stream to Nico on a Japanese account? that's hosed up
Yep, and view game streams from it, just not any normal kind of video. It would be very convenient to lounge on the sofa and watch the MMD Cup selections or whatever.

Interestingly, Nico finally made a HTML5 client (which I thought would never happen since the technical end of Nico is garbage and always will be) which can theoretically run in the PS4's web browser but...well, it's the PS4's web browser, not designed for any heavy lifting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

God, I'm so sick of the YouTube signin loop bullshit.

I've stayed signed in on PS4 for literally years. I had to sign in every time on PS3 but now it plays nice even if I'm watching Youtube in one room and my wife is on the PS4.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you should really be able to link your account with imgur and upload screens to it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Digirat posted:

you should really be able to link your account with imgur and upload screens to it.
Or at least, be able to upload images from the web browser

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I've stayed signed in on PS4 for literally years. I had to sign in every time on PS3 but now it plays nice even if I'm watching Youtube in one room and my wife is on the PS4.

The YouTube app works fine. I'm signed into it no problem. But I can't upload videos to YouTube. It doesn't matter what I do.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Digirat posted:

Are there any sharing alternatives to the four listed that I'm missing?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

The YouTube app works fine. I'm signed into it no problem. But I can't upload videos to YouTube. It doesn't matter what I do.

Oh yeah that sucks. Do you have Amazon Prime? Just use Twitch, it auto-archives every stream you do if you have Twitch Prime and it's super easy to export that to YouTube later if you want.

The only problem I have with Twitch is that often it doesn't correctly rename my stream but it's a trivial thing to fix.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it's just a convenience thing. If I'm planning to make a video, I used my capture card. This is just more "I want to show someone this 2 minute clip" hit share button, save clip, trim, upload, sign in <-> sign in. When it works, it works fine, but it hasn't worked in weeks now.

I tried going to my google security settings and I can't set preferences for my device because it doesn't show up. I did some googling and it sounds like the problem is because I have 2 youtube names associated with my account, google hates that, since it only wants me to have the one it created for me when google bought youtube.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh God yeah I have two names associated with the same YouTube account for the same reason and I found a way to fix it a long time ago but I can't remember what I did now. It's a major pain though, I feel you on that one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

Or at least, be able to upload images from the web browser

That was the one good thing about the Wii U. Of course, Imgur sucks and now it's nigh impossible to upload an image to it through the Wuu browser, but

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So i've been avoiding footage of it - is Nier: Automata a good game? Going off the file size it must be a pretty huge game so i'm hoping it's something that will keep me invested for a while.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nier is a very good game but you kinda gotta be willing to go through it a few times since just doing ending a will leave you with nothing but unanswered questions. it does a much better job of differentiating the playthroughs than previous games in the series tho; path b does a great job of feeling different from path a most of the time, tho you are still playing through the same story with a twist

there's also a bunch of doofy game over endings to get. I have like 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

TaurusOxford posted:

So i've been avoiding footage of it - is Nier: Automata a good game? Going off the file size it must be a pretty huge game so i'm hoping it's something that will keep me invested for a while.

I just asked about it check last few pages