Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Certainly, no system is perfect. You're always making tradeoffs, and there'll always be some way you can improve on it in the sequel, but literally anything else at all is better than classical MP. I don't even like it in Etrian Odyssey, which is exactly the kind of dungeon crawler you describe where it's most inoffensive.

Turn-based RPGs in particular have a reputation for being boring, and who can disagree? They just keep reusing all the same crappy mechanics we had 25 years ago. There's heaps of unexplored design space out there, but nobody's interested in trying anything new.

I could talk about this basically forever. Please look forward to the audio-only bonus update that's nothing but me and wateyad gabbin' about RPG design for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I'll be honest Arumat P Thanatos has instantly skyrocketed himself into becoming my favorite character in this game, he's trying so hard to be cool and I love him for it.

Also he seems to be actually good at combat so that's cool too.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Oh hey we finally got a character who's not (mechanically) terrible. Nice.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Pork Lift, in a Skype call just now posted:

I'm definitely hatefucking this game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope he's wearing protection.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 69: A Deep Dark Hole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Q3X4yzTto

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, I had a horrible feeling when you didn't go straight for the save point. I can't believe nobody noticed that in playtesting somehow, or maybe that they decided it didn't matter.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With my Anime Hot Takes, I tend to prefer subbed if the american version is bad enough that it effects comprehension of the plot (One Piece, Cardcaptor Sakura) but for things like Digimon Series 3 or Ultimate Muscle I'm fine with the dub. Series 5 I prefer in Japanese though...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Such bad boss design.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The boss is alright, or at least not worse than the others, but you definitely have to be higher level so you don't get obliterated immediately. At least wateyad has remembered about blindside all this time because I'd already given up on it since it was a waste of time against regular enemies and ineffectual against bosses. Slowly chipping away at this boss for I don't even remember how long is not recommended.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I love that Sarah ended up making the same Grigori joke Pork Lift did. She almost deserves to have her real name.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You are think Grigori is *many bubbles*, but it is only *fingers*. It is such a *spicy* joke.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
My mental name for them is "Gregory".

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 70: GRIND 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0w0B6j1kE

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

wateyad sounds so depressed in this video.

We're recording again today hooorayyyy :v::v::v::v::v::v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You should watch something else in the background.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
I think being distracted from the pain would be against the spirit of this LP.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They could go recursive and watch another LP.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The power of SamRaimi

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
We finished playing the game today.

We have some ideas of what we might do next but none of them is jumping out at us as definitely being absolutely the one so we're probably going to put it up to a vote. Before we do that, though, just in case we've missed something, we thought we'd ask:

Is there anything you guys would like to see us play next?

EDIT:

wateyad posted:

Oh yeah and thing I should have mentioned to begin with: We need to be able to play the game on a PS3 (so PSOne game are okay), 360, Wii, Wii U or PS4 and if it's PS4 I'll need to buy a new capture device. We have access to a PS2 but I really don't want to deal with interlaced footage recorded via an HDPVR which is a shame because otherwise we'd be playing Wild ARMs 4. PC games and emulation would both be really awkward with our recording method.

wateyad fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 12, 2017

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The post game content.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Clever Spambot posted:

The post game content.

No.

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
Tales of Destiny for the PS1?

It's a Tales Game, but also an early one so it's like you're playing a Star Ocean game! Everyone wins (Except Pork Lift and wateyad)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I do like the idea of playing a Tales game for contrast, something like Graces or Xillia probably works.

Though I wouldn't mind a non-JRPG game as a palette cleanser either.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Runic Edge posted:

Tales of Destiny for the PS1?

It's a Tales Game, but also an early one so it's like you're playing a Star Ocean game! Everyone wins (Except Pork Lift and wateyad)

When I finally play Tales of Destiny it will be the PS2 Director's Cut.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

wateyad posted:

We have some ideas of what we might do next but none of them is jumping out at us as definitely being absolutely the one so we're probably going to put it up to a vote. Before we do that, though, just in case we've missed something, we thought we'd ask:

What about Valkyria Chronicles?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

How about a different Chronicle? Xenoblade Chronicles?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

wateyad posted:

A good video game.

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

What about Valkyria Chronicles?

Yeah, that works.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tales of Berseria.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
The Bouncer

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

I don't own it any more :(

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
FF13-3. Don't play FF13-2, just do 3.

Alternatively; Blast Corps.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Blind unedited day one Persona 5.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

FeyerbrandX posted:

How about a different Chronicle? Xenoblade Chronicles?

Okay, I need to say things about this. I HATE this game and would love an excuse to rag on it for infinite hours. Us doing it is a really bad idea but Pork Lift is willing to begrudgingly go along with it if you guys really want it. Thoughts?

Tae posted:

Tales of Berseria.

We're not doing this solely because I'm playing it on my own time right now and I'm not going to turn around and play it again immediately to LP it.

Oh yeah and thing I should have mentioned to begin with: We need to be able to play the game on a PS3 (so PSOne game are okay), 360, Wii, Wii U or PS4 and if it's PS4 I'll need to buy a new capture device. We have access to a PS2 but I really don't want to deal with interlaced footage recorded via an HDPVR which is a shame because otherwise we'd be playing Wild ARMs 4. PC games and emulation would both be really awkward with our recording method.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Sims 3 solo LP by pork lift.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you want a serious suggestion, Battle Princess of Arcadias? It's genuinely good and very short as far as RPGs go.

wateyad posted:

Okay, I need to say things about this. I HATE this game and would love an excuse to rag on it for infinite hours. Us doing it is a really bad idea but Pork Lift is willing to begrudgingly go along with it if you guys really want it. Thoughts?
Don't do that to yourself right after this game.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

wateyad posted:

Yeah don't do this. What do you think about Valkyria Chronicles, though? Admittedly, the dialogue is kind of slow, and the turn-based sort of combat may not quite be what you guys like to LP. I don't play most of these sorts of games, I rely on you guys to do it for me! :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lords of the Fallen. You just came off janky D tier Tales, now you play janky D-tier Dark Souls with bioware dialogue style conversations

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Tales of Graces and Xillia were both already on the list. We're not doing Persona 5 for reasons. I'd happily play Battle Princess of Arcadias but Pork Lift has vetoed it. Valkyria Chronicles was originally narrowly passed over for the list but is on it now that it has been requested. I'm not confident enough that we'd finish Lords of the Fallen to put it on. If I don't respond to a suggestion, assume the response is similar to one of these.

wateyad fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You should do a different sort of game. Like... one of the middle AssCreeds? Did you already say you hated them? I forget.

• Locked thread