Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just because it came up recently:

James Cameron re: Avatar 2 posted:

Well, 2018 is not happening. We haven't announced a firm release date. What people have to understand is that this is a cadence of releases. So we're not making Avatar 2. We're making Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5. It's an epic undertaking. It's not unlike building the Three Gorges dam. (Laughs) So I know where I'm going to be for the next eight years of my life. It's not an unreasonable time frame if you think about it. It took us four-and-a-half years to make one movie and now we're making four. We're full tilt boogie right now. This is my day job, and pretty soon we'll be 24-7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I kinda would be fine with James Cameron just being at the bottom of the sea for the next 8 years. Everyone wins.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He clearly hasn't realized yet that very few people give a poo poo about seeing one Avatar sequel let alone loving four of them. I'm sure the first sequel will make plenty of money but you never know where the edge of the cliff is exactly. I mean, he's going to theoretically have four movies basically in the can at the same time, so who knows what they'd do if say the second one doesn't do very well. Just keep releasing them and recoup as much as possible I guess.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Third movie bombs after the sequel does so so and the distribution rights for the last two get sold to Netflix.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They should do what the Matrix Franchise did and just release the movies 6 months apart.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

He clearly hasn't realized yet that very few people give a poo poo about seeing one Avatar sequel let alone loving four of them.

No one gave a poo poo about the first Avatar movie either, up until it made 2.8 billion dollars.

Now, five or so years later, people still don't give a poo poo about Avatar and it still make 2.8 billion dollars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Doesn't he have the $$$ to not really care if people give a poo poo about Avatar or not? Didn't he only decide to do four sequels to spite someone on Twitter saying the movie had half-baked characters or whatever?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

No one gave a poo poo about the first Avatar movie either, up until it made 2.8 billion dollars.

Now, five or so years later, people still don't give a poo poo about Avatar and it still make 2.8 billion dollars.

People really, really gave a poo poo about Avatar at the time. It was the only movie people were talking about for quite a while. And just to be clear, by the time the first sequel comes out its sounding more and more like it will be closer to a ten year gap, not five years.

Of course the first sequel will make billions, because its James Cameron making a big blockbuster movie. If he's going to release one per year after that though, the novelty could wear off pretty quick. We'll see, I'm curious as to how the whole thing will shake out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe he'll take his paper thin plot and setting and make it into something good and interesting and we'll all be "wow I never thought I'd care about an avatar cinematic universe, they sure did add a lot of good characters and really fleshed out the setting"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Avatar is one of the only movies I've been to where people cosplayed to the showing.

hoping someone dresses up like a xeno for Alien Covenant

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish jimmy would go back to making good movies instead. shame.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wore a halloween costume Darth Vader helmet to the midnight showing of Fellowship of the Ring and flipped off the audience when I walked in. That's as far into dressing up for a movie I've gone.

Oh wait, I lie, I wore my heavy rear end wookie robe (it's basically a fur coat) to Rogue One when I was visiting my family in Chicago. To be fair it was 10 degrees out and snowing, so it was at least a practical thing to wear.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Avatar is one of the only movies I've been to where people cosplayed to the showing.

I'm strongly considering dressing up like Kenny Powers with a Covenant hat and a Facehugger.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The plot or whatever doesnt matter. People are going to be fine throwing down the 12 bucks to see "James Cameron presents Weird poo poo in 3D!" every 2 years. People going to see it on weed alone is prob worth half a billion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ruddiger posted:

I wore a halloween costume Darth Vader helmet to the midnight showing of Fellowship of the Ring and flipped off the audience when I walked in.

owns.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SimonCat posted:

Do you think that all the Davids turned into sociopaths or just the one?

They got rid of old man weyland calling the android people without souls.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why is he walter and not say ethan. you have to keep the name scheme, ridley.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Alpha and Omega, D is four letters from the front, W is four letters from the back, next movie will have Esther and Ulysses or whatever.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Thinking a bit about David and Prometheus, I wonder if the Dark Horse staple "scientists experimenting with the Xenomorphs in hopes of controlling them" aren't the Engineers themselves.

When Weyland boasts that he created David to be "perfect," the Engineer proceeds to decapitate him. I wonder if he weren't testing David against his own standard of perfection: survival of the fittest. The Engineers seem to be experimenting in some fashion with the black goo, and seem to hold the Xenomorph in some sort of semi-religious awe.

Maybe they share Ash's assessment that the Xenomorph is a perfect organism, and they certainly want to control its source.

That would also explain why they abandoned humanity, and even the creation of life by combining their own DNA with the goo. Maybe they create these combinations and set us lose to survive, hoping the result will be a perfect hybrid of Engineer and Xenomorph.

Maybe the map really was an invitation, to come be assessed. Just not for enlightened benevolence.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

MacheteZombie posted:

I wore a Godzilla mask and slippers with a coat and tie to the premier in 2014

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
David didn't go crazy or turn into a psychopath. He's a completely consistent character the whole way through. His job is to make sure they find the engineers, and everything he does is in service to that. The twist isn't a change in him, it's just a change in how we see him as we realise just how far he'll go to achieve that aim, and how many people he's willing to expend.

He's Mother from the first film, just really handsome instead of a computer.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 11, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

I wore a halloween costume Darth Vader helmet to the midnight showing of Fellowship of the Ring and flipped off the audience when I walked in.

That's amazing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

I wore a halloween costume Darth Vader helmet to the midnight showing of Fellowship of the Ring and flipped off the audience when I walked in. That's as far into dressing up for a movie I've gone.

Oh wait, I lie, I wore my heavy rear end wookie robe (it's basically a fur coat) to Rogue One when I was visiting my family in Chicago. To be fair it was 10 degrees out and snowing, so it was at least a practical thing to wear.

Predates Triumph doing the same bit at the Attack of Clones premiere even!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Snowman_McK posted:

David didn't go crazy or turn into a psychopath. He's a completely consistent character the whole way through. His job is to make sure they find the engineers, and everything he does is in service to that. The twist isn't a change in him, it's just a change in how we see him as we realise just how far he'll go to achieve that aim, and how many people he's willing to expend.

He's Mother from the first film, just really handsome instead of a computer.

There's a kinda "monkey's paw" aspect to everything he does too, where he gives his masters exactly what they want but not the way they want it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lord Krangdar posted:

There's a kinda "monkey's paw" aspect to everything he does too, where he gives his masters exactly what they want but not the way they want it.

It also plays on how much we project onto him. Fassbender's expression changes very little throughout the film, and you can see people treating him very differently, and us perceiving him very differentally based on where he is and what he's doing at the time. It's essentially the kuleshov effect. He has the same look on his face when he's helping Shaw recover, delivering news to his boss, taunting Holloway, receiving a dressing down from Vickers, deliberately infecting somebody with an unknown virus and meeting a billion year old Alien. He never turns evil, it's just that, early on, he never actually says that he isn't. We just decide he isn't.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jake Busey just got cast in Shane Black's 'The Predator'. If he's not playing the son of Gary Busey's character from 'Predator 2', then they done hosed up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"GUESS WHO'S BACK!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jake's chracter keeps seemingly getting killed off every action scene but comes back in progressively more disheveled states to run interference against a predator

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe he'll play the re-grown legs?

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
People cared so much about Avatar when it came out that it technically induced Stendhal Syndrome in some people.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 11, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Catfishenfuego posted:

People cared so much about Avatar when it came out that it technically induced Stendhal Syndrome in some people.

the late 00s-early 10s were a simpler time

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Wanna see those teeth in predator vision.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Is there officially some blade runner alien crossover? Tyrell Weyland?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zeris posted:

Officially? No. They're owned by different studios.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's a Ridley Scott joint. Dude gives no fucks about canon. The first trailer even has an alien popping out of a guy's back!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

brother, he kept the naming scheme including the absolute turd alien resurrection when he named the robot in prometheus david.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Sure, and now he broke it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A W is just an E on its back.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Zeris posted:

Blade Runner, Alien, and Soldier are all in the same universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SimonCat posted:

Blade Runner, Alien, and Soldier are all in the same universe.

And Predator.

Speaking of which, it's been pretty interesting seeing how the Predator community is reacting to all the new movie news, compared to the Alien community. The whole Predator franchise as of late comes across as a lot more laid back and fun, and it's pretty refreshing.