Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: businesses that are not banks but hold close to banking hours. The vet? Open 8am to 5pm. Mechanic? 7 or 8am to 5pm. Some are not open weekends, some only Saturday. WHY. Why the gently caress aren't you open later for the people who work till 5, or open weekends so people who work similar hours during the week can still come in?

Because many/most of these types of businesses are sole proprietorships and the owners would like to keep their weekly hours worked down to 60 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
maybe I'm using it wrong, by dual I meant 2 lanes each way, or more I suppose. single could stand for either only one lane each way or single lane for both directions

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
For context, I was talking about major 4-6 lane freeways, and specifically clear freeways on a Sunday or so when I'm going out to the country. Billy Bob in his jacked up F250 hates being passed by a Prius, regardless of whether or not his impotentmobile can actually manage to maintain that speed. It doesn't matter if there are 2-3 other clear lanes around us, or if I'm passing him by 10mph--he can't stomach sharing the road with someone in an ugly car with excellent gas mileage.

And I'm not a speed demon--I'm talking 80 or so, max. There have definitely been times when I've dropped back or sped up, however, to lose one of these ragemonsters when they started actually getting dangerous. It's rare, but never underestimate the ego issues of a pickup truck driver around an EV.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

JnnyThndrs posted:

Because many/most of these types of businesses are sole proprietorships and the owners would like to keep their weekly hours worked down to 60 or so.

I never understand this though.. wouldn't a Tire Shop be busier on a Sunday than a Monday? I need some car work done, and I have to take time off to pick up my vehicle! It sucks.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Poorly plated food at restaurants. How simple is it to put a burger patty on the bun so that it's not sticking out half an inch?

I blame this pet peeve on a micro-managing boss at a kitchen I used to work at, long ago. He considered plating important (it was a hospital kitchen, so it kinda made sense), and it was one of the things he loved micro-managing in the staff. So even though I'm long gone from that place, I still look sideways at bad plating.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The term "Nth dimensional chess," except replacing an actual number for the N (popular numbers include "4" and "11"). Normal two-dimensional chess is already a game where you think moves in advance so that you can win. Adding dimensions to it is unnecessary.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's an annoying phrase, but multi-dimensional chess is actually a thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Like, outside of Star Trek?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Where?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I never understand this though.. wouldn't a Tire Shop be busier on a Sunday than a Monday? I need some car work done, and I have to take time off to pick up my vehicle! It sucks.

Yeah, and a lot of places do the Tues-Sat thing, but if your spouse and your employee's spouses are on the Mon-Fri thing, nobody wants to work any weekends. Doubly so if you have small children.

It's a calculated business decision to lose some business vs your loving sanity, because in many cases, the people manage, somehow, to come in anyway even though it's an inconvenience.

I've said this for nearly 30 years, but the Wal-Mart/McDonald's-ization of retail fucks up anybody who relies on small numbers of skilled employees rather than large numbers of unskilled people doing menial tasks. It's easy to run two shifts of people running a frier and register, but an unholy bitch to keep a place open more than one(long) shift when you need somebody there who really_knows_their_shit.

And if you think it's bad in the US, go to Western Europe and check out the hours on non-chain stores :D

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think it's unreasonable to expect businesses to stay open longer/later/on the weekends. Yeah it would be more convenient for you but the people who work there have priorities and desires too and would probably rather not work non-traditional hours even if it would make their business more money. They work in service industries but that doesn't mean they have to be servants that bend over backwards to serve the customer. Sometimes you just have to take a day off of work to get something done, it's usually not a big deal.

And yeah, coming from America and living in Europe the past few years I feel spoiled in terms of opening hours and convenience in general when it comes to shopping. I admit getting frustrated when I realize I need something on a Sunday and can't just go out and get it, but I can understand it looking from their perspective.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
It makes more sense thinking about families with kids who have businesses like that. I worked retail for four years, and it was never a big deal to have Monday-Tuesday be my weekend or whatever, but the kids thing makes sense.
Related, my wife moved up here to Canada ten years ago and it still blows her mind how early shops and businesses up here close. She's not even from a metropolis in the States, but she's still used to many businesses staying open until 8 or so. It's Canadian Tire that messes her up the most, I think.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Tiggum posted:

Like, outside of Star Trek?

I'm not sure how many people actually play it, but yeah, it's actually real.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think it's unreasonable to expect businesses to stay open longer/later/on the weekends. Yeah it would be more convenient for you but the people who work there have priorities and desires too and would probably rather not work non-traditional hours even if it would make their business more money. They work in service industries but that doesn't mean they have to be servants that bend over backwards to serve the customer. Sometimes you just have to take a day off of work to get something done, it's usually not a big deal.

And yeah, coming from America and living in Europe the past few years I feel spoiled in terms of opening hours and convenience in general when it comes to shopping. I admit getting frustrated when I realize I need something on a Sunday and can't just go out and get it, but I can understand it looking from their perspective.

I work in delivery and logistics. No one gives a poo poo what time we get off work as long as they get their boxes. And yes, it would be nice if I didn't need a use vacation time to take the cat to the vet!

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
What kind of monster whistles ON A PLANE????

Also: peeved at my inability to walk and drink coffee at the same time without spilling half of it all over myself

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cowslips Warren posted:

I work in delivery and logistics. No one gives a poo poo what time we get off work as long as they get their boxes. And yes, it would be nice if I didn't need a use vacation time to take the cat to the vet!

I work at FedEx and I always have time to do my stuff during normal business hours. :smug:

Of course I have to get up at 1:30 AM to go to work.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I work at FedEx and I always have time to do my stuff during normal business hours. :smug:

Of course I have to get up at 1:30 AM to go to work.

I used to work 5am-1pm. great for afternoon appointments. poo poo for ever having anything to do past 7pm.

Peeve: people who almost tailgate me in my work van. You clearly see the brand and logo, you know I am delivering poo poo, why the gently caress are you inches from my bumper? Bonus points when I park in a delivery zone, throw the flashers on, run inside....and come out to see 2-4 cars all behind me, with flashers on, while the driver sits and plays on their phone, their passenger waiting in line inside. Fucker, that is not what this spot is for!

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I used to work 5am-1pm. great for afternoon appointments. poo poo for ever having anything to do past 7pm.

Right there with ya. Weird shifts can be awkward and uncomfortable, but they do have their advantages. Years ago I worked the 3p-11p shift at a minimum wage drudge job at a hospital. The work sucked but I could get SO MUCH of my own stuff done before going in. Now at my 8-5 I see how spoiled I was as I'm having to skip lunch or take off work altogether for doctor visits, errands, car maintenance, bank stuff, the vet, repairmen, etc.

I guess having to grow balls and be part of diurnal society is my peeve. I don't like it :cry:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pet peeve: Radium. In this case, making it so that changing the name of a thread with another subforum's tag will revert it to poo poo post.

Though maybe it fits this thread anyway. :v:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
People who think they're the Handicap Police and are doing real disabled a people a favor.

I have an 'invisible disability'. I have severe asthma, and on very bad days making the trek to the store is a challenge. You want to tell me I'm 'abusing' the handicapped parking spot? Fine. Let's just trade lungs, shall we? I'd love to be able to breathe better. The little zippy carts in the store aren't a ride to screw with while your Mommy shops, drunk college student. Most days I get around just fine, thank you, but on a day when air is a luxury I need that thing. You want to tell me an old person might need it? That's nice. Why don't you go and say something to the store manager, and maybe they'll finally get more than one that works.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Baby on Board signs for cars.

Like what purpose do these things serve other than massaging the parents ego that wow they managed to make a baby unlike every couple ever!
Or maybe it's a "please drive carefully around my stupid car" sign, because I was totally going to run you off the road until I saw that little sign hanging in the window.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Vitamins posted:

Like what purpose do these things serve other than massaging the parents ego that wow they managed to make a baby unlike every couple ever!
Or maybe it's a "please drive carefully around my stupid car" sign, because I was totally going to run you off the road until I saw that little sign hanging in the window.

I think the original purpose was simply so that emergency services would know to search the wreckage completely in the event of dealing with a crash. I think there had been a few occasions where unconscious/dead adults had been pulled out of the car but they didn't realise until too late that there was a baby on the back seat as well.

But now it does just mean "I have a precious widdle princess with me so please try not to crash into me, thanks"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just found out, due to getting a call from an account I didn't recognise today, that I've been given access to a new account at work. Problem is - no training or access. The most I was given was being told a few months ago "Hey, we're putting you on [account]. OK?" I expected them to arrange training, but no I've just started taking calls from them and also a new account that I'd never even heard of. My managers suck at preperation...

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
So I'm talking to someone.

And they don't hear me.

"Pardon?", they say.

So I now have three options.

1) Repeat it in exactly the same way - same volume, same tempo, same inflection. This will result in the cloth-eared fucker not hearing me again and I get to say the same thing over and over until I eventually can slide, blissfully, into the sweet embrace of death.

2) Repeat it slower and louder, so that I am sure they can hear it. This will result in the cloth-eared fucker assuming I'm angry and getting all defensive. Really, I just want to speak more than one sentence in my life, please be cool.

3) "Never mind". Never works. Cloth-eared fucker will now assume that what I just said was of world-shaking significance, and pursue it forever. I'll be on my deathbed and some hearing aid motherfucker will be shaking my withered frame all "NO BUT TELL ME! I WANT TO KNOW! JUST TELL ME WHAT IT WAS YOU SAID!" it was just a bad pun that doesn't bear repeating please leave me alooooooooooooooooooooooooooone.

So yeah, I'm gonna give up on talking to people I think. It's too much like hard work.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Just say it slightly louder and at the same speed. The people who act like you suddenly can't speak english well and you need to haaaaveee woooords drawwwwn outttt when you ask them to repeat something is really annoying.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Just say it slightly louder and at the same speed. The people who act like you suddenly can't speak english well and you need to haaaaveee woooords drawwwwn outttt when you ask them to repeat something is really annoying.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST MAAAAAAAAAAAAKING SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You're probably just a mumbler and nobody told you. I should know.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Vitamins posted:

Getting away with solo driving in the carpool lanes. Doubt if it works though.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
ngl I have legit hearing damage because as a teenager I was too cool to wear loving ear protection at the auto racing track, and I just go through life not understanding people because if I ask them to repeat themselves they get all loving worked up about it and it's just not worth it to me

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Vitamins posted:

My grandpa hated those things. So my dad and uncle stuck one on the back window of his car one day and he drove around with it for a few days. And, that's my cool story for the day.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I play a lot of games and have LAN parties with friends from time to time. I must say i have really grown to hate "gaming music". Basically Nightcore, techno, dubstep, trap etc. It keeps evolving and changing, but it is still the same crap made for "gamers" with low attention spans. Most of the time the music does not even fit the type of game they are playing. Why would you have techno on if you are playing a fantasy game? The game itself already has music included to try and immersive you!

Example of this crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgVrvDIUAVw

I tend to like a lot of genres (or at least be able to find some songs i like) of music and i try to be open minded, but i just hate this type of music with a passion. Even pop music is more tolerable.

Midig has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Mar 11, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That reminds me of the time I came upstairs one morning after my programming-student roommates had held an all-night programming party for their final assignment and one of the monitors was five hours into a "HE-MAN HEYAHEY SONG 10 HOURS" video.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That reminds me of the time I came upstairs one morning after my programming-student roommates had held an all-night programming party for their final assignment and one of the monitors was five hours into a "HE-MAN HEYAHEY SONG 10 HOURS" video.

At least you can pretend they just liked it ironically.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

Example of this crap:

I skipped around through that and it's just offensive of how same-y it sounds. I mean I guess if you are aiming for some bland background music for your twitch stream it's OK but I can't imagine listening to it for entertainment. Also it has absolutely nothing to do with "gaming".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Dear guests: if you're gonna come down to the front desk and pester me with a bunch of dumb problems that your smooth brain can't handle because you literally leave it at the door when you check in, don't chew gum like an idiot horse the whole time.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Disgusting Coward posted:

So I'm talking to someone.

And they don't hear me.

"Pardon?", they say.

So I now have three options.

1) Repeat it in exactly the same way - same volume, same tempo, same inflection. This will result in the cloth-eared fucker not hearing me again and I get to say the same thing over and over until I eventually can slide, blissfully, into the sweet embrace of death.

2) Repeat it slower and louder, so that I am sure they can hear it. This will result in the cloth-eared fucker assuming I'm angry and getting all defensive. Really, I just want to speak more than one sentence in my life, please be cool.

3) "Never mind". Never works. Cloth-eared fucker will now assume that what I just said was of world-shaking significance, and pursue it forever. I'll be on my deathbed and some hearing aid motherfucker will be shaking my withered frame all "NO BUT TELL ME! I WANT TO KNOW! JUST TELL ME WHAT IT WAS YOU SAID!" it was just a bad pun that doesn't bear repeating please leave me alooooooooooooooooooooooooooone.

So yeah, I'm gonna give up on talking to people I think. It's too much like hard work.

I started saying "oh I was just joking around" and it usually works.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stoatbringer posted:

I think the original purpose was simply so that emergency services would know to search the wreckage completely in the event of dealing with a crash. I think there had been a few occasions where unconscious/dead adults had been pulled out of the car but they didn't realise until too late that there was a baby on the back seat as well.

I don't really buy this, since it's harder to miss the car seat than a "baby on board" sign. And if you have the sign and no car seat for your kid, you've got bigger problems.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Disgusting Coward posted:

Nothing personal, but this is my pet peeve. I have poor hearing and I often have to ask people to repeat themselves, and it's amazing how many people will just repeat it in exactly the same volume/tone, or while turned away from me. Basically, making no effort to help me hear what they're saying.

Related annoyances: People who assume I was spacing out or not paying attention to them, so they get annoyed and refuse to repeat themselves. People who assume I'm saying "what?" because I didn't understand the content of what they said, so they give a painstaking explanation or extra details that have no context for me because I DIDN'T loving HEAR IT.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Nettles Coterie posted:

Nothing personal, but this is my pet peeve. I have poor hearing and I often have to ask people to repeat themselves, and it's amazing how many people will just repeat it in exactly the same volume/tone, or while turned away from me. Basically, making no effort to help me hear what they're saying.

Related annoyances: People who assume I was spacing out or not paying attention to them, so they get annoyed and refuse to repeat themselves. People who assume I'm saying "what?" because I didn't understand the content of what they said, so they give a painstaking explanation or extra details that have no context for me because I DIDN'T loving HEAR IT.

I have good hearing and I can barely hear people who speak while turned away from me. One of my supervisors at work does this all the time while I'm serving and gets angry at me when I ask her to repeat herself so I can actually take in what she said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Facebook app on my phone just expands to take up as much space as possible so that no other apps can update, so I have to keep deleting its data then re-logging-in after I've updated everything else.