Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It requires being quite a bit more performative than that, but it is insanely easy. The only thing you can't do is talk about your sex life. And I do mean anything. Not even the fact you have a boyfriend. It ruins their fantasy. It's practically Korean Idol rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I don't understand why every beautiful woman (or man!) doesn't start up an ASMR youtube/patreon. It's free money for whispering into a microphone for a few hours each week. The only work hazard is that one of your viewers gets too obsessed and comes to your house and murders you

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Subs to Lauren Southern's fascist ASMR will be in the millions.

Also there's a rumour that she's joining Milo's new "NotBreitbart" news. My guess is Gavin also leaves Rebel sooner rather than later, possibly to link up with Milo as well.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

stupid sexy reactionaries

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i dunno about you guys but having tons of these extremely boring and dumb videos on youtube is great

when i have trouble sleeping i just set one of these slowly speaking idiots on headphones and it hits me better than a valium, as long as the things they're talking about aren't dumb enough to make me cringe

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

the future of the far right is samus doing a reading of the protocols of the elders of zion

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I don't understand why every beautiful woman (or man!) doesn't start up an ASMR youtube/patreon. It's free money for whispering into a microphone for a few hours each week. The only work hazard is that one of your viewers gets too obsessed and comes to your house and murders you

There's a twitch streaming girl that doesn't do any of the stereotypes that people think of with streaming girls, but she said recently that she drove by her old job (less than a year after streaming) and she basically has her retirement already. So it seems like a good business plan for the moment.

I like mario maker

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

Mismeasure of Man is just as bullshit at the Bell Curve, maybe moreso

I read that growing up and agreed with its basic message but felt vague unease about the methodology. My basic take away was 'reductionism in intelligence research is real dumb, also science is infested with the ghosts of eugenics'. What else specifically was bad about the book?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Not a Step posted:

I read that growing up and agreed with its basic message but felt vague unease about the methodology. My basic take away was 'reductionism in intelligence research is real dumb, also science is infested with the ghosts of eugenics'. What else specifically was bad about the book?

It says that the entire psychological discipline of intelligence research is pseudo-science. Gould, who is a paleontologist and not a psychologist, believes in a theory of intelligence known as "multiple intelligences", meaning that rather than intelligence being unitary and general it can be divided into different subsections. In other words, what we call intelligence is essentially a set of skills and aptitudes that can vary more or less independently of each other. This contrasts to the prevalent, (TBH, unanimous), view from psychologists of intelligence that understands intelligence as general capability (g) that, while there may be some variation, performs consistently over a variety of cognitive abilities. Gould's explanation for the discrepancy between his view and the view of researchers is that the researchers are a) all racists and b) use patently flawed methodology. Rather than re-litigating the merits of these points, (which I think have be extensively disproved), I just want to ask people: does this conform with your conception of how science operates? That entire fields are led by radical ideologues, and that despite glaring methodological flaws obvious even to laymen no dissenting views are accepted by journals because they fail to conform? Isn't that the same view we've heard time and time again from right-wingers and conspiracy theorists and laughed away? Gould's book is three decades old and, despite several studies attempting to prove his hypothesis and in fact applying exactly the methods he proposes, no confirmation of multiple intelligences has emerged. General intelligence remains the consensus view. IMO that just blows Gould out of the water. If he were actually right there would be some sort of scientific support for him now, and instead there's diddly-squat.

Thug Lessons has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Mar 11, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

can you break that up a bit? nevermind.

It says that the entire psychological discipline of intelligence research is pseudo-science.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

pedantry regarding a tlc music video, it's nice to see we have hobbies

only 90s kids will remember how to be this obnoxious!!

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Heaven Spacey posted:

only 90s kids will remember how to be this obnoxious!!

:roflolmao:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Thug Lessons posted:

It says that the entire psychological discipline of intelligence research is pseudo-science. Gould, who is a paleontologist and not a psychologist, believes in a theory of intelligence known as "multiple intelligences", meaning that rather than intelligence being unitary and general it can be divided into different subsections. In other words, what we call intelligence is essentially a set of skills and aptitudes that can vary more or less independently of each other. This contrasts to the prevalent, (TBH, unanimous), view from psychologists of intelligence that understands intelligence as general capability (g) that, while there may be some variation, performs consistently over a variety of cognitive abilities. Gould's explanation for the discrepancy between his view and the view of researchers is that the researchers are a) all racists and b) use patently flawed methodology. Rather than re-litigating the merits of these points, (which I think have be extensively disproved), I just want to ask people: does this conform with your conception of how science operates? That entire fields are led by radical ideologues, and that despite glaring methodological flaws obvious even to laymen no dissenting views are accepted by journals because they fail to conform? Isn't that the same view we've heard time and time again from right-wingers and conspiracy theorists and laughed away? Gould's book is three decades old and, despite several studies attempting to prove his hypothesis and in fact applying exactly the methods he proposes, no confirmation of multiple intelligences has emerged. General intelligence remains the consensus view. IMO that just blows Gould out of the water. If he were actually right there would be some sort of scientific support for him now, and instead there's diddly-squat.

so...iq test...good?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

That entire fields are led by radical ideologues, and that despite glaring methodological flaws obvious even to laymen no dissenting views are accepted by journals because they fail to conform?
but enough about econ

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

THC posted:

but enough about econ

:iceburn:

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

Thug Lessons posted:

Mismeasure of Man is just as bullshit at the Bell Curve, maybe moreso

Says noted scientist Thug Lessons :allears:

Social psychology has a bit of a reproducibility problem so yes, IQ studies are mostly bullshit.

Big Fat Iguana has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Mar 11, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Big Fat Iguana posted:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah, spoke with a cognitive neuroscientist who said anyone who still using a single unitary concept of intelligence for anything is stuck in the past using outdated and discredited research. The closest you might come to the 'best' measure of cognitive ability is executive function (ability to plan for the future and execute on that plan), but you're not going to derive that from how well you score on word associations. IQ as measured is mostly a crock of poo poo for measuring intelligence, although it does reasonably measure linguistic ability (assuming the test taker is proficient in the language the test is being given in and has been exposed to the words used). Linguistic proficiency *does* impact basically every other domain though - its real hard to learn math if you don't understand the lessons being given - but its heavily language dependent. Even seemingly non-verbal stuff like spatial reasoning still relies heavily on language to teach the basic concepts involved in mentally spinning a cube in space. She didn't speak to the idea of emotional intelligence because that wasn't her focus and couldn't think of any real way to measure it off the top of her head.

So yeah, IQ is a poor concept that mostly reflects exposure to language, cultural proficiency and availability of education, rather than how naturally talented someone is, and trying to sort people based on IQ is a real lovely thing to do that happens anyways because science takes a long time to change (and its a convenient tool for discrimination because, surprise, most people who score well on IQ tests will be white and middle class or better from stable homes).

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:yikes:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

something tells me that a cosplay babe with reactionary politics won't have much trouble maintaining a dedicated following

If she does videos dressed as any Kill la Kill or Love Live I will hunt her as our ancestors hunted beasts.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

THC posted:

but enough about econ

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bud K ninja sword posted:

It says that the entire psychological discipline of intelligence research is pseudo-science.

A good book/paper/etc

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Race Realists posted:

the J0OS are opening up the floodgates so immigrants can come in the country, mate with our women, and create an entire generation of multi-racial people so the populations IQ level can lower, so they can rule them easier

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My wife and I just had the first of many nonwhite babies. Imagine...we can finally be rid of white people and all we have to do is keep loving : )

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
As so it is foretold, all threads on the alt-right eventually become word dumps on esoteric subjects

as so it was in D&D, as so it was in PYF, and so it is in CSPAM

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

My wife and I just had the first of many nonwhite babies. Imagine...we can finally be rid of white people and all we have to do is keep loving : )

you are comitting white genocide

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Darkman Fanpage posted:

you are comitting white genocide

and it's absolutely divine...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Not a Step posted:

Yeah, spoke with a cognitive neuroscientist who said anyone who still using a single unitary concept of intelligence for anything is stuck in the past using outdated and discredited research. The closest you might come to the 'best' measure of cognitive ability is executive function (ability to plan for the future and execute on that plan), but you're not going to derive that from how well you score on word associations. IQ as measured is mostly a crock of poo poo for measuring intelligence, although it does reasonably measure linguistic ability (assuming the test taker is proficient in the language the test is being given in and has been exposed to the words used). Linguistic proficiency *does* impact basically every other domain though - its real hard to learn math if you don't understand the lessons being given - but its heavily language dependent. Even seemingly non-verbal stuff like spatial reasoning still relies heavily on language to teach the basic concepts involved in mentally spinning a cube in space. She didn't speak to the idea of emotional intelligence because that wasn't her focus and couldn't think of any real way to measure it off the top of her head.

So yeah, IQ is a poor concept that mostly reflects exposure to language, cultural proficiency and availability of education, rather than how naturally talented someone is, and trying to sort people based on IQ is a real lovely thing to do that happens anyways because science takes a long time to change (and its a convenient tool for discrimination because, surprise, most people who score well on IQ tests will be white and middle class or better from stable homes).

I can tell you that even the most up-to-date models of intelligence still use g. They also subdivide intelligence into broad categories like processing speed and visual acuity, and further into specific tasks, but all operate under a g framework which is determinate of all lower-stratum abilities. Your cognitive neuroscientist friend is mistaken, or otherwise operating on models from cognitive neuroscience (which I don't think is rigorous enough to say anything of value about the function of intelligence at this point) rather than those from psychology. The relationship between IQ and g is controversial even within the field of intelligence research, but the heart of the criticism you're offering here is wrong. Some of the most g-loaded tests, such as Raven's Progressive Matrices, don't measure or depend on linguistic ability at all. They're actually presented without instruction, completely eliminating the language component. These tests can accurately measure intelligence in people with autism who lack or have highly diminished linguistic ability, to the point that their scores equal those of non-autistic people whereas they appear highly deficient when subjected to a more linguistics-oriented test like the Stanford-Binet. So no, IQ tests and other intelligence tests do no only measure linguistic ability, nor does linguistic ability act as the primary predictor of intelligence.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

this is what happened to milo:

without a doubt :nyd:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

The :airquote: Rebel :airquote: doesn't pay its contributors.

Montasque posted:

Also there's a rumour that she's joining Milo's new "NotBreitbart" news.

THC posted:

Montasque posted:

THC posted:

Montasque posted:

MwaHahahahahaha

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

THC posted:

Ah. The Huffington Post business model

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grondoth posted:

As so it is foretold, all threads on the alt-right eventually become word dumps on esoteric subjects

as so it was in D&D, as so it was in PYF, and so it is in CSPAM

They get super mad if you demystify their special words by comparing them to high school equivalents. There's a lot of syncretic dorks out there who think we should follow a caste model and constantly throw around words like Kshatriya, Brahmin, or Shudra when talking about Westerners.

If you say Kshatriya=Jock, Brahmin=Nerd, or Shudra=burger flippers they get insanely mad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thanks to baloogan i learned that "prolix" is a word that means "wall of text"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

get that OUT of my face posted:

thanks to baloogan i learned that "prolix" is a word that means "wall of text"

I learned that from reading Catch-22 in high school

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They get super mad if you demystify their special words by comparing them to high school equivalents. There's a lot of syncretic dorks out there who think we should follow a caste model and constantly throw around words like Kshatriya, Brahmin, or Shudra when talking about Westerners.

If you say Kshatriya=Jock, Brahmin=Nerd, or Shudra=burger flippers they get insanely mad.

I think you mean Kshatriya=warrior, Brahmin=cleric, or Shudra=foot massage person can we bring back dalit for baloogan and then we have a full adventuring party

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I learned that from reading Catch-22 in high school
i gotta read that book again

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Big Fat Iguana posted:

Social psychology has a bit of a reproducibility problem so yes, IQ studies are mostly bullshit.

Doesn't your IQ literally go up if you become richer?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i gotta read that book again

it holds up perfectly

Thug Lessons posted:

prolix prose

also yeah, I don't understand how people can't intuit that there's vastly different kinds of intelligence. I nailed the reading comprehension and writing section of the SAT, but near-flunked the math section. I had a friend who was a genius electrical engineer, but had the social intelligence of a toddler. if you lump all that into a single "g value" then he and I have equal intelligence because I can't do basic calculus and he can't handle his poo poo at a music festival

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Thug Lessons posted:

It says that the entire psychological discipline of intelligence research is pseudo-science...

Hmmm

Nature posted:

An ambitious effort to replicate 100 research findings in psychology ended last week — and the data look worrying. Results posted online on 24 April, which have not yet been peer-reviewed, suggest that key findings from only 39 of the published studies could be reproduced.

quote:

I just want to ask people: does this conform with your conception of how science operates? That entire fields are led by radical ideologues, and that despite glaring methodological flaws obvious even to laymen no dissenting views are accepted by journals because they fail to conform?

In the social sciences this doesn't sound implausible at all. Remember this paper?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Montasque posted:

Also there's a rumour that she's joining Milo's new "NotBreitbart" news. My guess is Gavin also leaves Rebel sooner rather than later, possibly to link up with Milo as well.

Eagerly awaiting the This Aint Breitbart: A XXX Parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Throwdini posted:

If somebody could make an IQ test where African-Americans scored as high as Whites, the "IQ doesn't exist" crowd wouldn't be around.

people know i was shitposting when i made that previous post right? :v: