Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

extremebuff posted:

its exciting thinking about how 1. theres going to be even more of this game through dlc
2. there will likely be a sequel in the same style some years in the future that improve upon this game

3. how it could influence gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hope everyone who ever makes an open world game in the future learns from botw, but i can't imagine they will

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i hope everyone who ever makes an open world game in the future learns from botw, but i can't imagine they will

They probably won't because doing this made the game take forever to make and Nintendo are the only ones devoted and crazy enough to do that.

I'm so glad they did though.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i cant believe i bought an amiibo. nintendo you mutherfuckers

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

They probably won't because doing this made the game take forever to make and Nintendo are the only ones devoted and crazy enough to do that.

I'm so glad they did though.

i'm astounded how there are essentially no bugs.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'd be fine if the next Zelda was something radically different like Zelda II was. Let Nintendo run wild in whatever crazy direction they want to go, they've earned it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i'm astounded how there are essentially no bugs.

I did actually run into my first major one today. I climbed to the top of Hyrule castle to see what it looked like and textures and models failed to properly load so I was climbing around on nothing and blurry walls. A reload fixed it fortunately.

Aside from that and the occasional framerate drop it's kinda insane how they made such a huge world and it all works so well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

nintendo is spongebob making the krabby patty with love and carefully tucking the pickles in with cheese, ubisoft is poseidon making GBS threads out burgers that nobody wants

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

youre doing the same thing you do in other popular open world games. climbing towers to reveal the map, gathering materials and hunting, scouting enemy encampments before you sneak in. the key difference is nintendo has filled every inch of the game with charm and TLC and everything feels fun. you want to slaughter that lizalfos camp, you want to break those shiny rocks when you see them, you want to creep around a forest catching bugs because it all feels good every time.

i'd hope this would influence gaming in general but like someone else said ninty is one of the few companies around that can take the time to do something this nuts

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Milkman posted:

what is that a chinese myth dragon

Fuckin snorlax is helping ever body

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fuckin lmao

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I love that video. it's just like a perfect little capsule of all the awesome poo poo that can happen in the game without any real spoilers

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Does this game have potential for gimmick runs? Are there any objectively not good weapons you could force yourself to play through the game with?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The korok leaf maybe? Or would it be possible using only runes?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The cooking system sucks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tumor looking batty posted:

The cooking system sucks

i think the cooking is great i just wish there was a way to do it instantly instead of having to skip the cutscene 20 times when you're prepping for big game

im at the point where my gear and weps cant really get any better and i know im ready for ganon three times over, but im gonna beat every shrine in the game b4 hyrule castle

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Cooking is cool. It's good to have some amount of player disempowerment in big systemic games, ideally making it more like Far Cry 2

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

extremebuff posted:

i think the cooking is great i just wish there was a way to do it instantly instead of having to skip the cutscene 20 times when you're prepping for big game

im at the point where my gear and weps cant really get any better and i know im ready for ganon three times over, but im gonna beat every shrine in the game b4 hyrule castle

i'm taking the same approach for my first playthrough, although i'm not anywhere near ready for gannon

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

edit: spoilers for a rusty weapon easter egg
https://gfycat.com/SplendidMedicalHornbill

HolePisser1982 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 11, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gently caress, i wish i hadn't watched that

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

gently caress, i wish i hadn't watched that

sorry bud, i thought it was cool

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

Wow I just realized that you can throw bombs at those assholes and they'll suck em up. I've been running up to them, putting down a bomb next to their rock, and blowing it up when they pop out for hours :cripes:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Cooking is awesome in concept but I haven't fully figured it out yet. You can cook the exact same thing twice in a row and get two different elixir durations, which seems wrong to me.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cooking is cool until you realize you can cook single durians for full restores :comeback:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It's so incredibly Japanese that by far the best foodstuffs are radishes and mushrooms

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

holy poo poo this game

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just found what Lynel parts are good for and its time to go Lynel hunting

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
So, at the top of Satori Mountain theres a little spring that sometimes glows green and if you go up there the little rupee rabbits are huddled around and there's also a big deer looking thing. Am I supposed to just kill everything and get some money? Can you mount the big thing? The last time it was glowing I didn't know what was up there and I had 0 arrows so I just ran in and scared everyone off. if there's some definitive purpose of this place I'd like to know and not gently caress it up and have to wait for it to activate again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

So, at the top of Satori Mountain theres a little spring that sometimes glows green and if you go up there the little rupee rabbits are huddled around and there's also a big deer looking thing. Am I supposed to just kill everything and get some money? Can you mount the big thing? The last time it was glowing I didn't know what was up there and I had 0 arrows so I just ran in and scared everyone off. if there's some definitive purpose of this place I'd like to know and not gently caress it up and have to wait for it to activate again.

It's an Iwata memorial, be at peace

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Bill Barber posted:

i tried to mount the lord of the mountain but got owned super hard

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

divine beast reward talk the powers are loving dumb and i wish you could switch them off or could avoid casting them. i just wanna spin my claymore around without instakilling everything within a mile of me or hold a shield out normally

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

only real complaint i have about this game is that it feels like the overworld was designed by ninty's SSS tier people and the main story was handled by a B team, thankfully there isnt much of it so it kind of takes a backseat to everything else but man. everything about this game is fantastic but it builds you up for the beasts, and then you get there and its a big empty puzzle with 2 enemies. the whole overworld+shrines feels like dungeon slices lovingly put together but the beasts are kind of a letdown and the powers break everything

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 12, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

extremebuff posted:

divine beast reward talk the powers are loving dumb and i wish you could switch them off or could avoid casting them. i just wanna spin my claymore around without instakilling everything within a mile of me or hold a shield out normally

You can turn them off. They're listed as quest items.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

an actual dog posted:

omg i didnt know. ty

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played this for 8 hours today

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

extremebuff posted:

omg i didnt know. ty

I'm just glad they thought of that lol

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I love this game and have been playing it for, iunno, 120+ hours the last week, I beat it and went on the internet and feel like link stepping out of the resurrection chamber.

With that said here's my GBS-style list of stuff i wish was in the game:

*Can't pet dogs
*Can't throw a tree branch and have the dog pick it up
*Can only stable horses
*[Huge tangent about how the timeline is now bad instead of good and absolutely not a troll by nintendo]

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

extremebuff posted:

the rito one is cool since i got it first!!!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

an actual dog posted:

Divine beast rewards and I'm glad too, cause I hate feeling like I'm wasting the super shield when I just wanna parry a frickin octorock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

the rito one is cool since i got it first!!!

i wont deny that the rito one is extremely convenient for a lot of things lol

• Locked thread