Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Skippy McPants posted:

Probably a recut, maybe with the same music.

Also, a good choice as Sera is clearly the superior Ryder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6fHTyVmYp4

Ryder Rydersdottir was always the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ub posted:

So I guess squadmates' armor/outfits are non-customizable and there are no alternatives.

Do you really think they won't sell Alternate Appearance Packs again?

Also re: multiplayer, when someone asks "How could they possibly gently caress it up?" and someone responds with "Inquisition MP", that's not fair for several reasons. Inquisition was an RPG first (no, really) and an action game distantly second, so they couldn't really apply anything about ME3MP to DAIMP. They tried, kinda, to make DAIMP fun by making it random dungeons you go through and loot and solve minor puzzles, but failed hard at that because they didn't put much effort into making that "fun". You were just running from one room to the next room full of enemies, which is just busywork compared to "the enemies will find you" of ME3MP.

Second, DAIMP failed really hard. Embarrassingly hard. ME3MP did well enough to finance five free expansions, all of which added new classes and some of which added tons more. DAIMP got two expansions, only one of which gave new classes, and neither of which did anything to improve the absolutely poo poo gear unlock system which presumed you were gonna have enough fun to play a truly mind-numbing number of rounds. I played the MP a decent bit out of sheer masochism and in all that time I never felt like I unlocked an actual good weapon, except for one Purple Bow - and then that brings up the point that they chose to limit weapons to classes rather than letting any character use any weapon.

Everything we've seen about MEAMP is "we know what people liked about ME3MP and we're just doing that again, only with more options and more stuff". It really would be hard to gently caress that up. Not impossible, but very hard. They know not to do DAIMP again.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

DA:I broke me of that habit, though, because my loving god the endless portals and collectibles that artificially bloated the playtime was absolutely shameless.

This is every open world game nowadays. DA:I wasn't even that bad by the standard, it just had really slow traversal thanks to that awful horse. It gets much worse.

E.g. Assassin's Creed Unity.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Skippy McPants posted:

This is every open world game nowadays. DA:I wasn't even that bad by the standard, it just had really slow traversal thanks to that awful horse. It gets much worse.

that image is bleak as hell. games as work, my god

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Even if the side stuff in ME:A is as grindy as Inquisition (and it really doesn't look like that is the case) it's not going to be as bad because ME combat is actually fun. Inquisition's mmo-lite bs was absolutely miserable to control and play. Tried playing through it with the free trial and got about 20 hours in before giving up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

epenthesis posted:

Given that equalizing coverage isn't a bad thing, what's weird about it? That they didn't create a unique trailer for Sara after doing like a dozen of them?

It's weird in that it sounds like it'll be the exact same trailer with a different main character. I think that qualifies.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Pattonesque posted:

that image is bleak as hell. games as work, my god

Part of the reason why every one is loving the new Zelda is that it completely does away with all of that. If you find something, great! If not the game isn't gonna tell you about it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I never really got in to the Assassin's Creed games, tbf. Does it also have the Bioware thing of 'sidequest being incomplete locks you out of content in future games'?

also it seemed like they were trying to colonize the uncanny valley, looking at Peebee's face. Is she the 'Sera' character in this game? It's the Dreamworks smirk.

also also laziness in design isn't good, especially when it's been 5 years since the last mass effect

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BexGu posted:

Part of the reason why every one is loving the new Zelda is that it completely does away with all of that. If you find something, great! If not the game isn't gonna tell you about it.

Ehhhh, this doesn't really help much in a real sense. You only end up with people referencing maps online rather than in the game. The real solution is to make sure that your side content is actually worth the discovery and not some stupid collectible junk, which I've heard Breath of the Wild also does for the most part so credit to them for that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

I never really got in to the Assassin's Creed games, tbf. Does it also have the Bioware thing of 'sidequest being incomplete locks you out of content in future games'?

Nah, all the AC games are standalone, but they—and Ubisoft in general—have a reputation for being some of the worst offenders when it comes to collectibles as a cheap replacement for content.

As for Peebee, it's too soon to tell. Although she does not appear to be Sera, for what that's worth. From the previews, it looks like her character skews more quirky weirdo and less insufferable git.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Horizon does collectibles very well. You can buy maps for the three main types, and there aren't many of each, and even knowing where they are you still have to put some effort into reaching the place the item is, which usually involves some fun platforming/climbing and exploring.

Then there are an assload of "data" collectibles with backstory, none of which are required for a trophy or reward, none of which ever show up on the map, so if you find one it's great and if you can't find them all your crippling gamer OCD won't kill you for it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

As for Beepee, it's too soon to tell. Although she does not appear to be Sera, for what that's worth. From the previews, it looks like her character skews more quirky weirdo and less insufferable twat.

it's a very, very fine line

it's good to know that robert z'dar's genetic line continues, as his cherubism seems to have passed down to cora

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

CottonWolf posted:

It's weird in that it sounds like it'll be the exact same trailer with a different main character. I think that qualifies.

I don't see how. Easy to make, gives the female and male characters the same prominence, allows players to have the same experience whoever they want to play as. They did some of the same stuff for FemShep last time.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

epenthesis posted:

I don't see how. Easy to make, gives the female and male characters the same prominence, allows players to have the same experience whoever they want to play as. They did some of the same stuff for FemShep last time.

I think they have tweets where they said they were going to give equal coverage of marketing with Scott and Sara, and the last few trailers were staring Scott as the MC

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Skippy McPants posted:

Four different kinds of chest, I love it

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Weren't some of these chests promotional things that you had to use a code for :shepface:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Turbl posted:

This is the One True Tali according to Matt Rhodes the concept artist and it's way better than that poo poo stock photo

Still would

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've been thinking of Dragon Age Inquisition and the MMO collectathon side quests and the most egregious quests I can think of are:

- The Skulls and Shard collection for the Tombs in the Hidden Oasis
- Collect Ram Meat in the Hinterlands
- Find and mark certain Rebel Mage Camps in the Hinterlands
- Collect Bear claws in the Hinterlands
- Save slaves in the Emprise du Lion and Howling Wastes (or whatever the Night Desert Map was called)
- Find Grey Warden stuff for Blackwall's approval
- All of the requisitions stuff

Can anyone else think of other examples of these 'MMO' style side-quests?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You guys are all right, I'm the one defending the indefensible thing.

Oh, I'm not defending it. I too find it ridiculous.

It's just that looking at marketing footage and assuming everything in it will make it into the released product as-is pretty silly. Some things will. Others will be changed/fixed. It's best to not read too much into such stuff.

I personally stopped buying EA games on day 1 (or, worse yet, pre-ordering them) a long time ago, since the company has a terrible track record in that regard. So I have no horse in this race. :)

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Open world games are almost without exception really unfun.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've been thinking of Dragon Age Inquisition and the MMO collectathon side quests and the most egregious quests I can think of are:

These are particularly bad, because they're a missed opportunity to make you care about the world early in the game. If there were actual cut scenes showing the people starving because of the war, or showing how the people were powerless to stop the mages from taking their poo poo, you might actually feel...something. Instead, you get a statically posed NPC and a couple lines of dialogue to send you out to fetch. It's something the Witcher 3 did so well.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

Four different kinds of chest, I love it

One of those required you to be online and had something to do with an app, if I recall correctly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

frajaq posted:

Weren't some of these chests promotional things that you had to use a code for :shepface:

Even better,

Standard Chest (White): Can be opened at any time.
Patriot's Chest (Red): Require lockpicks, an in-game upgrade, to open.
Ancestor Chests (Gold): Become available as you level up.
UPlay Chests (Blue): Required an AC Unity mobile companion app to open. The app required you to solve a series of puzzles that would unlock missions back in the game that you needed to sent you assassin recruits on, like War Table assignments in DA:I these were basically a menu option followed by a long timer. Several months after release, Ubisoft removed the app requirement and just let you open the drat chests.

But wait, there's more!

Not all chests would appear on the map when you climbed a tower to reveal all the points of interest in a new area. Some would only show up if you got close enough, or you could spend "Helix Credits" to unlock time saver packs that would show their location. Helix Credits were, of course, the game's micro transaction currency. You could earn a limited amount through play, but after that it was $$$ or nothing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Big Bidness posted:

These are particularly bad, because they're a missed opportunity to make you care about the world early in the game. If there were actual cut scenes showing the people starving because of the war, or showing how the people were powerless to stop the mages from taking their poo poo, you might actually feel...something. Instead, you get a statically posed NPC and a couple lines of dialogue to send you out to fetch. It's something the Witcher 3 did so well.

Yeah, quest writing in Witcher 3 was superb. Every quest either taught you more about the world, or had some sort of twist or surprise ending, or both.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

SgtSteel91 posted:

- Collect Bear claws in the Hinterlands
- Save slaves in the Emprise du Lion and Howling Wastes (or whatever the Night Desert Map was called)
- Find Grey Warden stuff for Blackwall's approval
- All of the requisitions stuff

dragon age inquisition was amazing, this game is ripping it off and has a jet pack so it will be, at minimum, real good.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

oh god i had forgotten about this part i had hoped to never remember it fuuuuuuuuuuck

there's probably more, but I seem to remember a bunch of fetchquests? I don't know, it's was just a big, generic blur

cams posted:

dragon age inquisition was amazing, this game is ripping it off and has a jet pack so it will be, at minimum, real good.

is this sarcasm i honestly cant tell anymore

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Skippy McPants posted:

Even better,

Standard Chest (White): Can be opened at any time.
Patriot's Chest (Red): Require lockpicks, an in-game upgrade, to open.
Ancestor Chests (Gold): Become available as you level up.
UPlay Chests (Blue): Required an AC Unity mobile companion app to open. The app required you to solve a series of puzzles that would unlock missions back in the game that you needed to sent you assassin recruits on, like War Table assignments in DA:I these were basically a menu option followed by a long timer. Several months after release, Ubisoft removed the app requirement and just let you open the drat chests.

But wait, there's more!

Not all chests would appear on the map when you climbed a tower to reveal all the points of interest in a new area. Some would only show up if you got close enough, or you could spend "Helix Credits" to unlock time saver packs that would show their location. Helix Credits were, of course, the game's micro transaction currency. You could earn a limited amount through play, but after that it was $$$ or nothing.

this is, uh, violence

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, quest writing in Witcher 3 was superb. Every quest either taught you more about the world, or had some sort of twist or surprise ending, or both.

I kinda liked what I saw of Liam's quest in the PAX stream so hopefully all that stuff they said of looking to Witcher 3 for inspiration wasn't just talk

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Big Bidness posted:

Yeah, I totally agree with you about that. The Hinterlands and really the first act of DA: I was all about trying to tie a bow on the Mage/Templar War and given that DA2, and by extent DAO, was building up to that war, it should have been its own game.

Hopefully with the 'Habitability Rating' or whatever it's called, and being able to build up outposts and hopefully eventually make each of the Golden Worlds habitable again, we'll see our actions be reflected in the world.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

this is, uh, violence

I kinda liked what I saw of Liam's quest in the PAX stream so hopefully all that stuff they said of looking to Witcher 3 for inspiration wasn't just talk

Liam's quest is like a big setpiece quest though. Witcher 3 was remarkable because even the notice board quests and little pissant "a peasant has an exclamation mark over his head" quests tended to be lovingly-written and interesting, too. I'm hoping that the smaller open world sidequests in this will be good too but, well, we'll see

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't understand what the big deal about collectibles is. Yeah that ac unity map looks a mess, but I've completed every single ac game (except black flag) but I've never gone so far as try to collect everything. You don't have to do any of the collectible poo poo to finish the game so what's the problem? You can even toggle the map.to only display what you want.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You've never finished the only good AC game? That's loving shameful and it had the only good collection 'quest' in the history of collection 'quests'.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The more I hear about Witcher 3 the less I want to play it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

oh god i had forgotten about this part i had hoped to never remember it fuuuuuuuuuuck

there's probably more, but I seem to remember a bunch of fetchquests? I don't know, it's was just a big, generic blur

I remember 6 in the Hinterlands:

- Lord Woolsey
- Deliver a dead Templar's love letter or something to his Rebel Mage lover
- Deliver flowers to a grave for a widow in Redcliff
- Find a Noble's dead wife and tell him about her
- Take back the ring of a Widow's recently killed husband by Templars
- Get medicine from a guy on one end of the Map to the Crossroads where his parents are sick

Man, they front-load you with the collectathon and fetch quests in the beginning

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 11, 2017

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Skippy McPants posted:

As for Peebee, it's too soon to tell. Although she does not appear to be Sera, for what that's worth. From the previews, it looks like her character skews more quirky weirdo and less insufferable git.

You shut your dirty drat whore mouth.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I always thought that they should have used a picture of Tali's voice actress for the frame photo as a joke. They could have air brushed in some wires and tech but leave her recognizable.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Clawtopsy posted:

is this sarcasm i honestly cant tell anymore
no dragon age was real fun i would imagine this will be real fun

people who spend large amounts of time complaining about video games on the internet are awful

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

One thing that Witcher 3 did well in regard to it's side quests was figuring out how to break the monotonous nature of some of the atypical MMO like quest by using them as red herrings.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

cams posted:

dragon age inquisition was amazing

What in tarnation

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Deakul posted:

Bioshit is at it again.

I'm not sure Bioware should get poo poo on for using screenshots from their own cutscenes that someone also uploaded to DeviantArt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb5JPYol3F0

IGN, the site that has posted all those heavily sponsored [FIRST] videos, says "game is extremely buggy, hard to play because of them"