Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really liked the repeated use of "We're done with you" as a gag this season, they do it in almost every episode, forcing an interaction with an innocent bystander and then abandoning them halfway through the scene because anyone outside of the 5 of them is irrelevant to anything they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao mac wants to bang the waiter

Bust Rodd posted:

I really liked the repeated use of "We're done with you" as a gag this season, they do it in almost every episode, forcing an interaction with an innocent bystander and then abandoning them halfway through the scene because anyone outside of the 5 of them is irrelevant to anything they are doing.
my favourite was waving off the pool lady "I'm done with you...keep up."

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao mac wants to bang the waiter

my favourite was waving off the pool lady "I'm done with you...keep up."

That and using the force to make the fat lady lay back down.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm going to have to find a new regular show if that happens. Any ideas?

Archer starts up again on April 5th :dance:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Archer starts up again on April 5th :dance:

Oh sweet, I lost track of that. I still need to see the last season, too...

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The entire exchange between Frank with his Decent Proposal and Mac excitedly asking if the offer is on the table for everyone and finally Dennis trying to keep the plan together through it all was loving great. Might be my favorite moment in the series now.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Great ep but uhh... poo poo

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Maybe the waitress will be on the show full time. Or maybe this is all his equivalent of faking his own death for the gang and he'll come back later in the season as the secret manipulator behind.... something.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the finale made me sad. i rarely if ever re-watch episodes of any show, but i went and found episode one of season ten, the wade boggs flight. it's still good.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Maybe the waitress will be on the show full time.

That's what I was thinking. The gang seems to work really well with 5 members

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I can't believe that Charlie finally hooked up with the Waitress! I can believe him instantly get sick of her though. I wonder where Dennis is gonna go next season. Is he gonna pretend to be normal to raise his kis for as long as he can?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Charlie was also instantly sick of her in Flowers for Charlie.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Charlie was also instantly sick of her in Flowers for Charlie.

That scene where he just goes off in the restaurant is the best part of that whole episode

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FINGER FANTASY

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh sweet, I lost track of that. I still need to see the last season, too...

(Archer)
May I suggest you wait so you can transition seamlessly from season 7 to the new one in April?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Nevvy Z posted:

Maybe the waitress will be on the show full time. Or maybe this is all his equivalent of faking his own death for the gang and he'll come back later in the season as the secret manipulator behind.... something.

I'm sure it's because Charlie and Kaitlin both told him that trying to do other creative projects while also working on Sunny loving sucks from a workload perspective. Letting him know that he can spread his wings and fly but is also welcome back at any time is heartwarming and what I would hope the Sunny folk would be like IRL. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C2PF-QiMtM

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
What if dennis reforms then comes back in like a season to see the gang and they all scam him and ruin his life.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
oh gently caress, they're on season 12?? I guess i'll wait half a year when season 11 and 12 show up on the netflickes

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

oh gently caress, they're on season 12?? I guess i'll wait half a year when season 11 and 12 show up on the netflickes

11 is already there

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just finished watching Westworld. I didn't even know Liam was in it until he showed up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When was the last time Artemis was on the show? It's been a while.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

RBA Starblade posted:

When was the last time Artemis was on the show? It's been a while.

Being Frank, at the shiva Frank crashes.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

I've always hoped the show finale would be a story where all the people the gang has screwed over or calls an enemy band together to enact a scheme to trap the gang in the bunker beneath Paddy's, while Cricket, Frank's brother, the two main McPoyle brothers and their sister assume the gang's identities and take over the bar. This way they can do a reunion episode/movie in 10 years where they finally escape, but then decide they can't live on the outside and lock themselves back up to shout at each other for the rest of their lives.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
If Glenn leaves, this show is done. He's the nucleus.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I didn't really take his statements like that. I figure the show is getting a bit tiring (but still fun) and they maybe wanna do a bit more of a wait between seasons. Sucks but as long as we get more i'm ok with it. Give him a chance to do some other poo poo for a bit and come up with more brilliant sunny stuff. FX(X) would be dumb not to do what they do with Louie, in giving them free range to take their time between seasons.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
While Charlie Day was always the clear breakout star, who would have called Mac being the one left behind?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shbobdb posted:

While Charlie Day was always the clear breakout star, who would have called Mac being the one left behind?

well he's just cultivating fame.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
While Mac's character is funny, Rob is the only one of the group who's acting comes off as forced to me, so it doesn't surprise me.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I need context to see if that's him or the character.

Like, I've been rewatching a lot of old '90s Outer Limits episodes and when the pull in a goodish actor the whole scene stops. Like, loving Casey from Dawson's Creek was in an episode and he wasn't a great actor then (and he's still middling) but holy poo poo he clowned everyone else in the episode in a weird way.

I need to see how Mac being authentically inauthentic plays out in other situations. Does it record scratch?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
While this isn't Mac/Rob's fault per se', I've never really been able to divorce the actors from their roles, and as a result, every time Mac makes fun of Dee my hackles go up just a teensy bit. I mean, i'll laugh, because some of those deliveries are great, but in the way back of mind mind I'm always like "uh, so your job is you call your wife an ugly bitch all day, huh?" (I also can't ever really forget about the whole "original Dee" poo poo, which makes it Hollywood levels of weird and sad), but like i said, it's never stopped me from genuinely loving the show and its characters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just been rewatching Fargo season 1 and I still can't believe that's Glenn Howerton playing the dopey Personal Trainer/Would-be blackmailer.

His exit from the show is still pretty horrifying

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

bring back old gbs posted:

well he's just cultivating fame.

He needs to stop cultivating, and start harvesting!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

While Mac's character is funny, Rob is the only one of the group who's acting comes off as forced to me, so it doesn't surprise me.

I remember seeing in an interview where Kaitlin says he thinks of himself more of a writer than an actor, for whatever that's worth.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been watching this show since season 2 in the summer of '06 when I was 20 and stupid and I had no idea about the whole "original Dee" thing. Whoof.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've been watching this show since season 2 in the summer of '06 when I was 20 and stupid and I had no idea about the whole "original Dee" thing. Whoof.

Holy poo poo. Same here. Godamn.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shbobdb posted:

Rob is going to direct the upcoming Minecraft movie.

That could actually be pretty huge for him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Holy poo poo. Same here. Godamn.

I think I've read this before, and while it seems like a real lovely thing to do to someone, its a blog post written by the original Dee without any input from the other cast members or even a third-party editor, which makes me hesitant to make judgements based on that alone. A relationship turning bad can go a lot of ways, and there are plenty of pilots that have actors replaced before they start production -- it's very possible that she became difficult to work with, or that the network execs or focus groups didn't like her and wanted a different actress in the role. I've also read an article that said Sweet Dee was largely the result of Kaitlin Olson -- she was apparently a straight man sort of side character early on, and Olson was the one who insisted Dee had to be just as awful as the rest of the gang -- so there was definitely a change in the show as a result of the recast.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Phenotype posted:

I think I've read this before, and while it seems like a real lovely thing to do to someone, its a blog post written by the original Dee without any input from the other cast members or even a third-party editor, which makes me hesitant to make judgements based on that alone. A relationship turning bad can go a lot of ways, and there are plenty of pilots that have actors replaced before they start production -- it's very possible that she became difficult to work with, or that the network execs or focus groups didn't like her and wanted a different actress in the role. I've also read an article that said Sweet Dee was largely the result of Kaitlin Olson -- she was apparently a straight man sort of side character early on, and Olson was the one who insisted Dee had to be just as awful as the rest of the gang -- so there was definitely a change in the show as a result of the recast.

Kaitlin says in just about any other interview that when she got the scripts for the first season she was totally underwhelmed given that in her audition she read Dennis' bit from "Charlie Has Cancer" and expected that she'd get those sort of roles but the actual scripts were basically written without Dee in mind so she got bit parts where Dee was played basically as the sort of straight man, Kaitlin described her season 1 role as being the "Gee guys I don't think that's such a good idea" role.

So, yeah, whatever, perhaps Rob was a bit of a douche to the first actress but there's no doubt that the viewers and show benefited greatly from Kaitlin's casting.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, I agree. It's a lovely thing to have to be the person kicked out of what becomes a massive hit, but if the character was going to be "Sweet" Dee where she's a level-headed nice person, the show might not have really taken off to begin with. She would have been an annoying wet blanket for the show. What even makes it funnier is that the guys often treat Dee like she's acting like this (because of their misogyny) even though she's just as bad as the rest of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Rob McElhenney did a pretty good interview on the Marc Maron podcast, and he talked about how he's always felt like his acting was secondary to his love for producing and directing and all that.

He also acknowledged his status as the least-pedigreed actor on the show. The discussion went from there to subjects like the Minecraft movie he's producing/directing.

The whole podcast is a good listen, even if you don't like Maron, which I'd imagine is common.