Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Heads up: I'm trying something with the formatting. I can't help wisecracking but I want to make it as easily legible as possible, so I'm going to footnote out any jokes in the actual orders. Hopefully this sets a new standard for legibility and results in my formation not getting utterly shredded.

6th Brigade
"Sanguine with the Sanguinary"

Fluff:
All right lads. I'm very proud of you showing the 7th what for getting there, and now's your time to really shine. We're going to show the Hun what proper soldiers can do and by the time the 7th gets here they'll be begging us for a spot on the front so they don't have to carry all their ammunition around. Right then, time for the plans.

Crunch:

pre:
Phase 1
Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Turn and move directly towards enemy
When attacking the enemy: Launch a Bayonet Charge / Cavalry Charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

If I see the enemy when I am in marching formation and I am not currently under orders taking me away from them, I will immediately enter battle formation.
We will advance following the orange arrow on the following map:

Conditional: If at any time on the approach to Stethescope we see three enemy brigades enter Stethescope and/or Chemin road where they'd be in position to shoot us on the approach or we see the armoured cars falling back and more companies than are in this brigade enter Stethescope and the Chemin road, we will instead make all possible speed to the fallback.

At the horizontal mark even with the west edge of Taillis Douche, we will deploy into battle order(1) on attack stance.

Battle order will be as follows.

Stethescope approach deployment on the left. The brigade set up on the right is used later.

From there, everyone but the artillery will charge into Stethescope. The artillery will unlimber and fire in support before moving up and entering Phase 2 if the charge is successful(2) or joining in the movement to fallback if it is unsuccessful.

pre:
Phase 2
If the cavalry attack is successful (by that I mean removes all the Germans from the town), the brigade will take up the positions on the right side of the picture above in defensive stance.

The following standing order change will occur after the charge if it is successful.
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Halt and switch to Defend orders.
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire

The cav units that look like they're in the outskirts are in the outskirts, the chit between the BC and the outskirts guys is the MG (sorry about the label being unclear). The Horse Artillery may be delayed, I know that. If losses are suffered in the line cav, the first chits to be removed will be the ones in the north road, then the one in the town, then start peeling off the outskirts, keeping the billy bonus as long as possible (the BC chit is only to be used for the billy bonus in extremis).

Note of intent: The idea here is that this is to be a defense as long as it isn't just sitting there getting drilled by artillery for minimal gain while overwhelming force gathers (a) and I won't try and stick it out against overwhelming numbers to the point that I can't get out cleanly (b).

Conditional a: If the combined forces of the armored cars and cavalry are outnumbered by more than 3:1 in terms of companies within 18" they will fire for one more round and make all possible speed to the fallback. Notify the armored cars.

Conditional b: If the combined forces of the armored cars and cavalry are outnumbered by more than 2:1 in terms of companies one turn outside charging range or closer, they will fire for one round and then make all possible speed to the fallback unless there is no enemy cavalry left and enemy infantry in charging range does not outnumber them at the end of that round. Notify the armored cars.

pre:
Phase 3: The Fallback
Standing orders:
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire

We will most likely be in or on the road to Stethescope, so we will follow this arrow. If we are somehow not, we will attempt to get to the end of the arrow with all possible haste.

We will take up these positions in defensive stance. If those positions don't get the artillery clear shots on the road ford, they are authorized to do whatever they need to to get a clear shot other than leaving the forest, although I would prefer if they weren't the closest thing to the enemy. The MG is to try and get the billy bonus on the ford in the road and the ford north of that if at all possible.

Conditional: If more non-suppressed enemy companies are on the west side of the fords than are in the 6th, we are to fall back west into the forest until we break spotting and set up an ambush. Once we fire from ambush, we will fall back and attempt to do it again. If we run out of forest to fall back through, we will fall back to Saucisson Vallee. If there are any earthworks present to use we will use them, otherwise we will set up in the NE edge of the Bois de Coq. At that point we will defend until we realize that we have gotten orders that rendered this set of conditionals obsolete ten turns ago. :v:

Fluff:
Right then. You've showed the rest of the BEF you're the finest cavalry in Flanders, now it's time to show the Hun.

Fluffnotes:
1. We'll be deploying into order for the Germans to review, I don't want any of you letting the rest down. No, Leftenant, not the King, but look as sharp as if it was.
2. Artillery, now's your chance to show the Naval boys what for and that they're right to not let us compete for the Brickwood Trophy.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

From there, everyone but the artillery will charge into Stethescope (not sure if they can charge without enemies in sight? :siren:Hopefully this is legal). The artillery will unlimber and fire in support before moving up if the charge is successful(2) or joining in the movement to fallback if it is unsuccessful.

You have to have spotted someone in order to charge them (during the day). If your movement makes you run into someone the turn you spot them, you stop 1" short and charge them the next turn.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

(bulldog icon courtesy of freepik.com)

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

sullat posted:

You have to have spotted someone in order to charge them (during the day). If your movement makes you run into someone the turn you spot them, you stop 1" short and charge them the next turn.

Trin mentioned that it is possible to initiate close combat against unspotted troops in towns back in Roll20, so it's worth getting confirmation. It looks ok though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

sullat posted:

Eurgh. I don't know if I have a real way to get around it though, so alea iacta est.

vvvv: Good. That makes things a bit easier.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 11, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Istvun posted:

Trin mentioned that it is possible to initiate close combat against unspotted troops in towns back in Roll20, so it's worth getting confirmation. It looks ok though.

quote:

In a town, all firing ranges are restricted to 4", and a unit may enter Close Combat without first Spotting its enemy.

Sure enough, never mind.

xthetenth posted:

Eurgh. I don't know if I have a real way to get around it though, so alea iacta est.

Not sure it matters, though. If you they are on the outskirts of town they will probably be shooting you from ambush so you wouldn't get to return fire anyway. Apparently towns are special and you can ride in and saber anyone stuck in town. And if they are on the other side of town, well, you are planning to shoot them from town anyway.

sullat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 11, 2017

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

The Squadron will deploy in E1, and split into two groups: Red squad with 8 armored cars; Blue Gold squad with 2 armored cars.

Red squad will commence the raid by crossing through M7, and engage the enemies coming to Stethoscope. They are to defend the 6 o’clock road until reinforcements arrive. {Conditional: if 2+ German brigades enter Stethoscope before the squad, they are to retreat back to the M7 ford and defend it; if the 6th cavalry takes Stethoscope but retreats, the squad will retreat back to the M7 ford and defend it; if the Germans deal enough damage to the Red squad, ˝ of them are dead, they are to retreat back through the M7 ford and defend it. A runner will be sent to headquarters telling them of the situation, in all scenarios}.

Attack position:

Defensive position (see conditionals):

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
1/2 casualties are taken

Blue Gold squad will serve its purpose by going through the M1 ford, driving all the way to Chemins, and watch for enemies coming through the 12 o’clock road. While doing this, they are to also cut any wires they encounter. {Conditional: if the Germans are advancing towards Blue Gold squad, they are to retreat back to the Foret de Effyaders; if the 6th cav retreat from Stethoscope, the squad will drive back towards the Foret de Effyaders; if all goes well and the 6th cav takes Stethoscope, the squad will advance up to the 12 O'clock road and support the 6th. A runner will be sent to headquarters telling them of the situation, in all scenarios}.

Watch positions:

Or (conditional):

Defensive position:

Retreat.
Retreat.
Do not pursue.
Any.

Normal route :

Sixkiller fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 13, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

We missed a great opportunity with the AC squadron names.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

xthetenth posted:

The Royal Naval Air Service Armoured Car Section -- "neither fish nor fowl."

Proud members of the Navy's air forces' army.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

yessssss

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

The Royal Naval Air Service Armoured Car Section -- "neither fish nor fowl."

Proud members of the Navy's air forces' army.

Sections Platypus and Echidna would be pretty amusing.

edit: went back to my orders and cleared up which stances I want to be in.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 11, 2017

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

xthetenth posted:

Only now do I realize how bland 'Red' and 'Blue' sound.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Sixkiller posted:

Only now do I realize how bland 'Red' and 'Blue' sound.

To be fair Red Squadron *is* doing a trench run that could make or break the resistance...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Luke Sixkiller, you are our only hope

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

To be fair Red Squadron *is* doing a trench run that could make or break the resistance...

A Gold squadron hastily renamed from Blue squadron only makes the joke work better.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

xthetenth posted:

A Gold squadron hastily renamed from Blue squadron only makes the joke work better.

Ask and you shall receive.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Magnificent.

(For those who don't have the context, ANH was supposed to have Blue and Red squadrons, but Blue squadron and blue screens don't work well together. It became Gold squadron. The novelization was finished earlier and it's still Blue in that.)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As long as that roguish my dad comes in at the last minute and saves the day

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

sullat posted:

As long as that roguish my dad comes in at the last minute and saves the day

Does that make xthetenth an irritable, incomprehensible wookie scotsman?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Does that make xthetenth an irritable, incomprehensible wookie scotsman?

I had far too much fun with the jokes I already wrote and I can't reliably write that accent so no, but my troopers might be.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
We've turned WW1 into a Star Wars parody -- and it totally fits.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

All Trin would have to do to thoroughly scare me is say the Germans are having more fun with their orders.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So, I think everyone has posted orders except engineers?

Staff, please check the current orders for feasibility. Engineers, please post your orders.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I still need to fix mine. I'll get around to it sooner or later.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Sixkiller posted:

The Squadron will deploy in E1, and split into two groups: Red squad with 8 armored cars; Blue Gold squad with 2 armored cars.

Red squad will commence the raid by crossing through M7, and engage the enemies coming to Stethoscope. They are to defend the 6 o’clock road until reinforcements arrive. {Conditional: if the Germans deal enough damage to the Red squad, ˝ of them are dead, they are to retreat back through the M7 ford and defend it – a runner will be sent to headquarters telling them of the situation}.

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
1/2 casualties are taken

Blue Gold squad will serve its purpose by going through the M1 ford, and watching for enemies coming through the 12 o’clock road. While doing this, they are to also cut any wires they encounter. {Conditional: if the Germans are advancing towards Blue Gold squad, they are to retreat back to the Foret de Effyaders and send a runner to headquarters.}.

Retreat.
Retreat.
Do not pursue.
1/4 casualties are taken.

A suggestion - move the Gold Squadron armored cars into the Chemins so they can cut German telephone wires there and covere the northern edge of town. They can retreat if menaced by German forces.

Once Stethoscope is secured -- consider moving them on the southern edge of the 12 o'clock to support the defense. Obviously, have themk fall back to Effyaders to help my dad's brigade when the 6th and the Armoured Cars retreat.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Now that orders are mostly done, I think its a good time for the Official Historian's survey.

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

Pretty well. I think we spent maybe a bit too much time on unfocused staff work but I've had too little energy for getting my orders drafted earlier and they look nice.

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

I'm decently confident that my plans will let my brigade fight effectively no matter the enemy deployment unless they get a lot of guys into Stethescope that I can't see.

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

I'm moderately confident about extracting a nasty price for Stethescope. I think it's likely I'll extract more losses than I take, but I don't know if I'm going to get enough to offset my bet that the enemy gets reinforced before we do.

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

It looks like we're liable to slam the mobile components of the enemy, and I think that if they can't move quickly and keep continual pressure on us, they'll bleed unsustainable amount of men, but we need to hurt them early and often.

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

We blunt their fast movers with heavy MG fire and leave them with ungainly firepower heavy units they have a hard time pressing the attack with, buying our infantry time to get here.

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

We get shredded in the opening engagements with the ACs getting beat up, my cav arriving late and trading evenly or worse and my dad isn't enough to stem the tide. Slim Jim gets to say he told us so.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

1st Mounted Engineer is tasked with moving to set up barbed wire across every road intersection and to be placed as noted on the map.

2nd Mounted Engineer is tasked with moving to set up barbed wire near the two fords that are between the middle and bottom road as noted on the map.

Conditional Orders
If enemy are seen and you have one turn left to finish current erection: Finish the erection and then retreat north entering Foret de Effyaders and set up wire on the northern road and the area closest to M3 while remaining in the wood.
If enemy are seen and it will take longer then one turn to finish work: Exact same response as the previous order.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This map details how long it will take to create most of the erections requested of me so far. Of point the rest of the trench in Foret de Effyaders I am assuming that My Dad's men will help me with. As it comes clearer just how the battlefield will change in regards to men getting back across the middle river combined with our own reinforcements this current predictions will change as well.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Hunt11 -- would you be able to skip one of the center-road trenches to build a trench parallel to the southern road for the armored cars to use?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Assuming that barbed wire is still the priority I can get that up that trench by turn 41.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

Assuming that barbed wire is still the priority I can get that up that trench by turn 41.

Prioritize the wire. Dig the trench around that time.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Sixkiller posted:

Red squad will commence the raid by crossing through M7, and engage the enemies coming to Stethoscope. They are to defend the 6 o’clock road until reinforcements arrive. {Conditional: if the Germans deal enough damage to the Red squad, ˝ of them are dead, they are to retreat back through the M7 ford and defend it – a runner will be sent to headquarters telling them of the situation}.

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
1/2 casualties are taken

Sixkiller -- you need to revise a few things.

Under your standing orders, Red Squadron will drive into the gap If the 6th Cavalry arrive, they willl then drive off and leave the cav in a lurch. Or, 6th cavalry decides to retreat (this will be triggered if they see 2+ brigades while approaching Steth or are attacked by 3+ brigades will inside the town) -- then your Armoured Cars will sit their diddling away until they are overrun and take 50% losses. Only then will they drive off...

Make a conditional to retreat over the M7 ford if 2+ enemy brigades enter Stethoscope before you can get to the 6 o'clock road. And set another retreat trigger to fall back if the 6th Cav take Steth, but then retreat (which they will do if they are attacked by 3+ brigades)

You need to state exactly where your men will sit once they defend the M7 ford. I recommend a spot 10=12" away from the wire that Hunt 11 will put in front of the ford.

Sixkiller posted:

Blue Gold squad will serve its purpose by going through the M1 ford, and watching for enemies coming through the 12 o’clock road. While doing this, they are to also cut any wires they encounter. {Conditional: if the Germans are advancing towards Blue Gold squad, they are to retreat back to the Foret de Effyaders and send a runner to headquarters.}.

Retreat.
Retreat.
Do not pursue.
1/4 casualties are taken.

If there are only 2 cars in this formation -- how can they take 1/4 casualties?

I also strongly encourage you to send these guys into the Chemins to that they can take advantage of the cover. You can set a conditional to retreat if they spot superior enemy forces.

If 6th Cav take the town, have them move into position on the 12'clcok part of the Chemin so that they can support 6th cav. I recommend you retreat back to Effyaders forest if the 6th cav fall back.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 12, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Placing the chits where you want them to end up after each movement is helpful for Trin as well, especially if he just decides to stick them wherever regardless of LoS or range or cover.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Roll20 update:

quote:

my dad (GM): ...
I have a crazy idea
If the enemy shows that they've comitted there forces
to somewhere that isn't Foret de Effyaders
my dad (GM): You know how Slim wants to blow up a bridge?
Why not go on a nighttime cavalry field trip
And destroy F1
ewie (GM): that would be pretty funny, I'll admit
Hunt11 (RHA Engineers) (GM): It would make everyone happy
Us for messing with the Germans
Slim gets to see a bridge blow up
Trin and the observers will have something to focus on
Of course the Germans would be pissed and the engineer would be dead
my dad (GM): lol
ewie (GM): you in theory would have enough time to hide him in tallis nord
Hunt11 (RHA Engineers) (GM): I have a feeling that they would devote some resources into hunting him down
my dad (GM): or Ferme Chatte :v
Of course
Since nighttime turns are long
and hard to change orders in
He could just be sent to F2 :v
Hunt11 (RHA Engineers) (GM): Having a rouge engineer blow up every bridge they have would be kind of funny if incredibly unlikely
ewie (GM): well, it's 6 hours per bridge
and night is 12 hours
Hunt11 (RHA Engineers) (GM): So enough time to blow up one and get started on another?
ewie (GM): yeah, assuming he doesn't get shot at daybreak
Hunt11 (RHA Engineers) (GM): He could always cross the bridge and get started
A one chit stand in La Dand
my dad (GM): lol
All things considered, it's not a risk I'm willing to take
but t would be amazing if it somehow actually worked
Hunt11 (RHA Engineers) (GM): If I had one more mounted engineer I would be all for it
my dad (GM): but we're short on them as is, yeah

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
I'm sorry but I don't have the time to devote to this that I thought I did.

therefore I shall now
resign my commission and go
forthwith, best of luck

This leaves a slot open for infantry brigade commander.

Good luck chaps, I shall make a cup of tea in your memory.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Well, who doesnt have a brigade and wants one?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've read the wind in the willows, that ought to give me the necessary expertise.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Istvun posted:

I've read the wind in the willows, that ought to give me the necessary expertise.

Excellent! Are you Mole, Rat, Toad, or Badger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

Excellent! Are you Mole, Rat, Toad, or Badger?

I'm going to spend most of my time crouching in holes, so I think Toad is the most appropriate.

• Locked thread