Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sunning posted:

Tanaka is a GM at Gung-Ho, the creators of Puzzle and Dragons, and working on new game that will be revealed this year. He's probably making more money now than he ever did at Square-Enix.

This is commonly called "failing upward."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

The best Final Fantasy game is the one I like.

The worst one is the one you like.

-Every which FF is best\worst discussion ever

But what if someone likes all the FF games?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Then we shun them as God intended

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished the post-patch main questline and boy was that loving stupid.

I'll go ahead and do some ex primals and dungeons before my last day is up, play Nier for a week, then go back to do Heavensward.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you weren't sure before, Nomura just confirmed in the latest Famitsu that the battle system for the 7 remake will be action based.

Stolen from Neogaf:

Man this is disappointing. FFVII's combat isn't exactly great but I prefer turn-based games to action games so I was hoping they'd improve on that instead of revamping the whole thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Give the FF7 Remake to Taro Yoko.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elentor posted:

Man this is disappointing. FFVII's combat isn't exactly great but I prefer turn-based games to action games so I was hoping they'd improve on that instead of revamping the whole thing.

No one going to put insane dollars into a turn based game nowadays

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

It sounded like some SE executives wanted to :shobon:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think that's the problem. Nomura has stated before that he hates turn-based gameplay, and this is pretty much his decision. I'm pretty sure that if Nomura had said "we're going turn-based like hardcore, chess style" they would go with it at this point.

Also even if you were right, for better or for worse "no one in the industry" common sense doesn't always apply to Square-Enix's management.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 11, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Square Enix as a whole catalog already has one huge franchise that is turn-based, turning the other major one the same variant doesn't really work.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
DQ can become the half-baked ARPG :colbert:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Best selling non-F2P games in 2016 with turn-based or ATB style gameplay:

Pokemon Sun and Moon - Sold 14.69 Million Units. Sun+Moon combined sales outsold Call of Duty Infinite Warfare in North America
Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura - 1.4 million. Only out in Japan
Madden NFL 17 - EA forecast 5.5 million. Exceeded expectations
Civilization 6 - Steamspy had it at 1.3 million at end of 2016
XCOM 2 - Steamspy had it at 1 million at end of 2016
Total War: Warhammer - Turn-based strategic layer, real-time battles. Steamspy had it at just under 1 million at end of 2016

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sunning posted:

Pokemon Sun and Moon - Sold 14.69 Million Units. Sun+Moon combined sales outsold Call of Duty Infinite Warfare in North America
Total War: Warhammer - Turn-based strategic layer, real-time battles. Steamspy had it at just under 1 million at end of 2016

can you really count Madden though? the target market for that is a group of people who, like us, are damaged in the head, but for a football game instead of a JRPG.

ironically, I think the gameplay in Madden is way more complicated than any FF game I've ever played

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sunning, that's a bit disingenuous. When people talk about turn-based combat for ff7, they're talking about a specific one that's encounter-based and not on a grid.

And Pokemon is not a big budget title in the slightest compared to even a B-tier final fantasy game.

The question is if a 100+ million dollar ATB battle style production can be profitable in today's era.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sunning posted:

interesting how except for madden all of these are primarily handheld or pc titles

almost like it underlines the point that consoles audiences aren't as into turn-based games

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Should they be spending 100mil on Final Fantasy though? I think that's a valid question to ask. I'm not necessarily saying they should scale it down to Pokémon levels of funding but limiting the funding down to the level where 10million units sold turns a tidy profit and stopping the chase of the graphic dragon in favor of levering middle ware they already have licensing for might be a solid idea.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Final Fantasy is a brand. Whatever success FF15 had trickled down to their other merchandise and side-products, even other non-FF games. Square isn't relying on just one game to be the focal financial point anymore, it's a whole trickling down effect.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Should they be spending 100mil on Final Fantasy though? I think that's a valid question to ask. I'm not necessarily saying they should scale it down to Pokémon levels of funding but limiting the funding down to the level where 10million units sold turns a tidy profit and stopping the chase of the graphic dragon in favor of levering middle ware they already have licensing for might be a solid idea.

it's not a bad idea but well, capitalism

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tae posted:

Sunning, that's a bit disingenuous. When people talk about turn-based combat for ff7, they're talking about a specific one that's encounter-based and not on a grid.

And Pokemon is not a big budget title in the slightest compared to even a B-tier final fantasy game.

It's not disingenuous - these are turn-based games, most of which are slower than an ATB RPG, and they sold well. The fact Pokémon Sun and Moon so much under a much smaller budget only adds to the point. People of all ages still play turn-based games.

Brother Entropy is right in saying that console audiences are much less interested in turn-based games. I don't think that would affect this specific case, though, since -

Tae posted:

The question is if a 100+ million dollar ATB battle style production can be profitable in today's era.

People will buy the FF7R regardless, just like Starcraft 2 was the fastest selling RTS of all time and I don't know a single human being who actually craves for hyper fast competitive RTS gaming, and yet all of my friends bought it. It's not like Final Fantasy is a traditional ARPG series either.

As for whether they should be spending all that money, not really. Specially Square-Enix, who isn't famous for their money management skills.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

Well budget is one thing, and SE has a terrible habit of letting all of their projects grow way over budget, or squander budgets in bad ways (see the number of pixels one can find in a single potted plant in the 1.0 version of FFXIV)

But budget doesn't affect the number of units sold, which is what he was quoting. That shows that people, consumers, will purchase turn-based games in high numbers.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
On Pc and handheld you mean.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
SE still produces a good number of turn-based games, they're just all side series and other experimental games.

Besides, I'm more concerned that we've only seen footage from the first fifteen minute of the original so far after, what, close to two years since the announcement? Sure, they likely have more stuff than they've shown, but this is SE after all.

I'll be surprised if Chapter One comes out before 2019.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

SE still produces a good number of turn-based games, they're just all side series and other experimental games.

Besides, I'm more concerned that we've only seen footage from the first fifteen minute of the original so far after, what, close to two years since the announcement? Sure, they likely have more stuff than they've shown, but this is SE after all.

I doubt they have much more than what they're showing. I don't think this is the same development hell as FFXV was but I wouldn't be surprised if the first chapter was a very, very rushed Mako Reactor 1 and 2 because they blew all this time and money on it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I'm a little less worried because more games in general have been doing the trend of only showing the first fraction of the game (Horizon, Resident Evil 7, FF15 comes to mind).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm a little less worried because more games in general have been doing the trend of only showing the first fraction of the game (Horizon, Resident Evil 7, FF15 comes to mind).

it kinda makes sense to not spoil too much of those but FF7R marketing should just own the fact it's 20 years old and show mako reactor blowing up or Cloud in a hot-tub with a bunch of men

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm assuming Aeris will die in Part 2, meaning that can be the opening moment of the trailer for whenever that's ready to go

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm assuming Aeris will die in Part 2, meaning that can be the opening moment of the trailer for whenever that's ready to go

Pretty sure part 1 is pretty much just Midgar

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Part 1 being Midgar is around what I'd expect, because Midgar is a gargantuan job compared to the rest of the game. It's also one that does a lot to set the scene and tone for the whole game, as well as one that doesn't have a lot of combat but does have a lot of special scenes, mechanics and animations, so it's... honestly a really bad place to start a game's development. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of why it's taking so long, you have to get fairly far in designing the rest of the game and getting the engine down-pat before you can feasibly do Midgar well.

I'd love to keep going back to the call that they should be remaking Chrono Trigger in this format instead, but that's honestly just as difficult and has a much less obvious break point for part 1. I'd say the conservative end point for part 1 there would be the prison break and gate to 2300AD, but even that has a lot of conceptual, mechanical and visual ground to cover.

It's almost like trying to break down a classic AAA RPG into manageable chunks actually doesn't make the workload easier at all!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
They should just make FF7:GTA Midgar

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Pretty sure part 1 is pretty much just Midgar

i assume so too, but i don't think they've officially said

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If anything the rumblings are pointing toward part 1 not even being all of Midgar because they want to substantially flesh it out further.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I'm thinking it's about 2019 when FF7R will be done being dumped unceremoniously into Tabata's lap and released in 2021. It will be about Cloud and Tifa traveling around the world by car, train, and airship staying with friends to see where they should settle down after Tifa becomes pregnant. The combat will be described as "Dark Souls-ian" just in time for FromSoft to go back on their "no more Souls games" promise and come out a week before Dark Souls 4 before and then completely forgotten.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sunning posted:

Madden has ATB or turn-based gameplay? :psyduck:

well, i mean, there is that quote about ff1...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Madden basically has an entire American football management sim inside it nowadays which is, yes, turn based during the planning sections, though obviously you play the matches same as always.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The White Dragon posted:

Game design is a flat circle

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

Madden basically has an entire American football management sim inside it nowadays which is, yes, turn based during the planning sections, though obviously you play the matches same as always.

Oh, huh, I had no idea. Keep in mind the last time I played a Madden game, it was on the Sega, and they still had the Oilers :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sports games are rpgs nowadays. You level up and everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ever since action games decided you should have to unlock new moves with stuff you get from killing enemies (DMC is the earliest I can think of?) pretty much every game has RPG elements.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm just saying it's more so an RPG because you're actually role-playing with custom heights and everything and there's :siren: branching paths :siren:

They even added party members in this year's NBA game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

what quote