Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When it comes to giant monster movies SMG and I are almost in full agreement. Kong is just real drat incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Since it came up on this page, Crimson Tide is also a good Cold War movie. Great cast: Denzel Washington, Gene Hackman, James Gandolfini, Viggo Mortensen, just as some of the bigger names.

Yeah, despite coming out in ... 1996?, it's pure Cold War terror.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Man from Laramie is dope.

Also, TCM is having a "March Malice" week from the 20th to the 25th, focusing on killers, murderers, psychos, and villains.
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-03-20

This has to be the greatest stretch of movies they've ever played.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Man from Laramie is dope.

Also, TCM is having a "March Malice" week from the 20th to the 25th, focusing on killers, murderers, psychos, and villains.
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2017-03-20

This has to be the greatest stretch of movies they've ever played.

Psycho, Peeping Tom and Night of the Hunter is a hell of a triple bill.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Don't forget tonight is Trashin'/Hard Ticket to Hawaii - 's gonna be tight.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Psycho, Peeping Tom and Night of the Hunter is a hell of a triple bill.

They're showing a double-feature of Eraserhead and It's Alive next month.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

therattle posted:

Cold War films:
The Hunt For Red October
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Manchurian Candidate
Dr Strangelove

Forgive repeats, I'm exhausted and brain tired.

Oh man, Tinker Tailor is insanely good. Its visual storytelling is so effective, which means that it doesn't have to shove a bunch of lovely exposition in there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The longer, more exposition-heavy miniseries is also extremely good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

K. Waste posted:

Don't forget tonight is Trashin'/Hard Ticket to Hawaii - 's gonna be tight.

The cable guide is convinced they're not showing Thrashin' tonight so I can't DVR it, which blows

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I haven't seen that yet. But yeah, exposition doesn't automatically equal worse quality, but I do appreciate when a really good movie has very little of it and is completely comprehensible and better than it would've been with more plot chat. See also Mad Max: Fury Road

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
its fuckin lit fam, it's totes sick, alec guinness is my spy bae, it's hella dope

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Oh man, Tinker Tailor is insanely good. Its visual storytelling is so effective, which means that it doesn't have to shove a bunch of lovely exposition in there.

Yeah, it's fantastic. I've got the TV series on DVD which I picked up cheaply at a charity shop but haven't watched yet.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
My experience with the movie was that, by the end of it, I was utterly baffled by the plot machinations but the actual emotional experience, particularly during the montage at the end, was so powerful that I didn't even care.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The cable guide is convinced they're not showing Thrashin' tonight so I can't DVR it, which blows

That does suck.

Also, classic silent short of the day is Griffith's "psychological tragedy," from 1912, The Female of the Species: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgs7iV9Mmyo

(P.S.) I watched this with "Static" by Godspeed You! Black Emperor as score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qonPOiwk_hc

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

The more I think about it the more I dig it. My favorite part was the motif of Marlow, Kong, and Goodman all receiving cuts on their palms.

I like pretty much every shot; Kong is the Most Cinematic Movie 2017. Like, I'm cheering a rack focus. That's the kind of movie it is.

The overt parallels with Temple Of Doom establish it as a movie-movie, which segues into an actually-good version of Jurassic Park III (moreso than Jurassic World). It's a great film because it's played 100% straight, but with everything intensified. There's nothing sarcastic or ''meta' as in those films (e.g. Temple Of Doom's 'anything goes', JPIII's sequel-status inferiority complex). It's Prometheus-funny. The action surpasses Fury Road.

It also brings me back to my point that JPIII should have been a found-footage movie, but does almost-nothing with the amateur-videographer plot point. In Kong, documentation is everything. There are shades of the original Mothra's exploration of truth versus mere factuality in journalism.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My experience with the movie was that, by the end of it, I was utterly baffled by the plot machinations but the actual emotional experience, particularly during the montage at the end, was so powerful that I didn't even care.

I had read the book beforehand so it was a little more straightforward for me, but I could still see how the plot elements would fit together without that crutch. The emotional weight is definitely impactful, though, yeah

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

married but discreet posted:

Blackhawk Down is also a one of the best pro-war movies around.
I think I've mentioned it before, but as a liberal sissy boy who thinks our military should be scaled back by about 1000%, Blackhawk Down makes me wanna join the rangers.

Like, if you're already inclined towards rah-rah military jubilations, that movie must be straight up heroin.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Speaking of the Cold War, what are some good movies set around it? Possession, The Lives of Others, Fail Safe (fictionalized but still)...

I just realized this post makes it sound like Possession is based on real events, and I just want to clarify: that is intentional and true

Day of the Dead :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the cold war, just last night I watched the episode of Golden Girls where Rose writes a letter to Gorbachev.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Snak posted:

Speaking of the cold war, just last night I watched the episode of Golden Girls where Rose writes a letter to Gorbachev.

It's pretty great, I like the ambassador from Russia who immediately defects. There's another episode later on where they have a cousin over who's visiting from a recently-freed Eastern European country who becomes obsessed with Slurpees. You can really see how much people absolutely loathed communism.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of the Cold War, what are some good movies set around it? Possession, The Lives of Others, Fail Safe (fictionalized but still)...

I just realized this post makes it sound like Possession is based on real events, and I just want to clarify: that is intentional and true

Good Bye Lenin!, a comedy set just after the Cold War. An old lady and pro-communist wakes up from a coma shortly after the fall of the USSR. Her grown up son has to keep her from finding out or else the shock might kill her.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm only thirty-minutes into King Kong Escapes and I've already bought that and the King Kong vs. Godzilla blu-ray. I'm on a big monkey movie bender.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

Good Bye Lenin!, a comedy set just after the Cold War. An old lady and pro-communist wakes up from a coma shortly after the fall of the USSR. Her grown up son has to keep her from finding out or else the shock might kill her.

Oh yeah! That's a good one. Terrific film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
All of this Cold War film talk reminded me we're getting a new Armando Iannucci movie called The Death of Stalin this year, I believe.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Detective No. 27 posted:

there's also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ7MfFB14xo

which is a weird comedy about a town that claims to have started the revolution before bucharest

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

I'm only thirty-minutes into King Kong Escapes and I've already bought that and the King Kong vs. Godzilla blu-ray. I'm on a big monkey movie bender.

I think there's an important distinction to make: Skull Island is a Sasquatch movie, moreso than a (giant) ape movie.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love Good Bye Lenin! It was one of the first movies I was able to watch and understand in German without subtitles, which may be part of why I tend to use some Berliner German sometimes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Top Secret is another good Cold War movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Top Secret is great.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think there's an important distinction to make: Skull Island is a Sasquatch movie, moreso than a (giant) ape movie.

I'd say the Kong of Skull Island is an interstitial figure, kind of like The Mighty Peking Man.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Grendels Dad posted:

No one has mentioned Hitchcock's various Cold War thrillers, not even North by Northwest, which is the less somber obverse of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in that both skewer skullduggery and "intelligence" work as the bullshit daydreams of manchildren made real by an insane political order. Torn Curtain, by contrast, is pretty lame.

Others from during the war that don't come up as often are The Bedford Incident (afaik the first "accidental nuclear war" drama) Seven Days in May, a sort of reverse Manchurian Candidate, and Les Espions, by the dude who did Les Diaboliques and Wages of Fear, Henri Clouzot. Oh, and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Red Dawn, for a double feature on how the Cold War warped people's brains.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just noticed that in trailers for Netflix original movies the "only in" (as in "only in cinemas") at the end changes to "only on [Netflix]".

http://i.imgur.com/sw0ttmU.mp4

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

How do you mean? Or rather, I get how a Sasquatch movie is different from a Kong/Mighty Joe Young style ape feature and wonder what's up with Kong that it's more of the former.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Even the worst King Kong movie (Lives) is worth watching because a giant ape wrecking poo poo is inherently great.

Escapes is fun. Apparently it's technically the feature film version of a 60s Kong cartoon from Rankin Bass.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Overheard guest opinion on noted fake-looking movie The Shack: "It's the best movie I've seen in 35 years. It's pg-13, no swearing, no bad words. It is so good. I'm not gonna give it away, but it's about the transition from here to [points at the ceiling] there."

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Is it a spooky creepy shack??

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
seattle people: david lynch fest coming soon

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I did not enjoy The Nice Guys very much

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Really? I thought it was hilarious. Not as good as Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Definitely on the better side of the Shane Black spectrum, the peak being The Long Kiss Goodnight and the nadir being The Last Boyscout (which I still love tbh)

• Locked thread