Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

with a Doomtree av you might live here, so: it's along 46th street in Minneapolis, east of the Blue Line station. I have actually never heard of this so it must be either (a) new, or (b) really early in the planning process. it would be a cool place to run a streetcar though imo

50th would be better because you wouldn't have as many lakes in the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i want trolley-bus systems to come back. they suck just as bad as buses but at least they're non-polluting and quiet.

if you're going to spend tax dollars on poo poo only poor people will use, and then only grudgingly, it might as well not make my neighborhood a worse place to live in

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Munkeymon posted:

50th would be better because you wouldn't have as many lakes in the way

"east of the blue line station on 46th" means there are zero lakes in the way, just the river. and that street is where the ford pkwy bridge over the river is

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i want trolley-bus systems to come back. they suck just as bad as buses but at least they're non-polluting and quiet.

if you're going to spend tax dollars on poo poo only poor people will use, and then only grudgingly, it might as well not make my neighborhood a worse place to live in

trolley-buses own

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"east of the blue line station on 46th" means there are zero lakes in the way, just the river. and that street is where the ford pkwy bridge over the river is

oh derp I misread as 'east into the blue line'

still thinking long-term you'd want to extend it west eventually but yeah ford would be a good street to run a train down

adding a train crossing to where 46th intersects Hiawatha would make that intersection even more of a clusterfuck :unsmigghh:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
What if you made a bus line, except make it for longer distances and carry more people

You could give it its own space to run, so it doesn't have to travel with other traffic, and it can be more efficient.

Since you know the path it will take, you only have to make one narrow path for this long-range bus

Since it's only going to travel along that path, you could make the road surface more suitable for the type of wheel that is used. You could use metal, since it's stronger than concrete, and then you could also reduce tire wear on this metal road by using metal wheels.

The path is fully set, so you don't need a steering wheel or anything, you could just automate that part (or have one person press buton)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

with a Doomtree av you might live here, so: it's along 46th street in Minneapolis, east of the Blue Line station. I have actually never heard of this so it must be either (a) new, or (b) really early in the planning process. it would be a cool place to run a streetcar though imo

its this

they also wan to extend the green line to Eden prairie

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

What if you made a bus line, except make it for longer distances and carry more people

You could give it its own space to run, so it doesn't have to travel with other traffic, and it can be more efficient.

Since you know the path it will take, you only have to make one narrow path for this long-range bus

Since it's only going to travel along that path, you could make the road surface more suitable for the type of wheel that is used. You could use metal, since it's stronger than concrete, and then you could also reduce tire wear on this metal road by using metal wheels.

The path is fully set, so you don't need a steering wheel or anything, you could just automate that part (or have one person press buton)

but i need to be picked up no more than 100 feet from my front door because i am fat and hate walking

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

aside from the risk of being robbed and/or murdered at night

Trip report: Rode the red line both nights while shitfaced, didn't get mugged or murdered. Gave a homeless guy the loving dollar coin a Metra machine spat out at me. A+ would ride again.

Addendum: B.L.U.E.S is incredible, but what remains of my hearing hasn't really come back yet.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

that is on the complete opposite side of downtown from the place I'm talking about. im on my phone but it looks like a streetcar along 46th/Ford is an option for this project: http://riverviewcorridor.com/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

aside from the risk of being robbed and/or murdered at night

I have taken the bus home at like 2 am so many times and never been concerned about this

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

I have taken the bus home at like 2 am so many times and never been concerned about this

same. some hobo tried to sell me socks once on the #49, and a fight broke out post-pride on the Pink Line while very, very packed, and that's pretty much the end of the drama I've experienced on the CTA after living here for like 8 years

e: I also forgot the homeless guy on a subway platform who asked for money for Pepsi and then propositioned me for sex. that was just weird.

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 9, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hey if anybody wants to pretend they're driving a Japanese maglev train, there's a mini Japan expo at grand central rn

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

hey if anybody wants to pretend they're driving a Japanese maglev train, there's a mini Japan expo at grand central rn

the train museum in tokyo is cool as gently caress and has a real outdoor mini-train for kids complete with switches and signaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nMFCBjzdrM

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
toronto renamed their subway lines to numbers for whatever loving reason:
yonge university: line 1
bloor danforth: line 2
scarby rt: line 3
sheppard: line 4

after council poo poo the bed when ford was mayor, they agreed to replace the rt with an extension of the bloor line, rather than replace it wholesale with a new lrt line which would make far more sense

so now it's gonna be lines 1, 2, 4, and I guess 5 when the eglinton lrt is done

good jerb folks! 💯

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

that is on the complete opposite side of downtown from the place I'm talking about. im on my phone but it looks like a streetcar along 46th/Ford is an option for this project: http://riverviewcorridor.com/

i drive that way most weekday mornings. i know the a-line goes that way too but i'd def. like a streetcar there. and also running down snelling.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Chris Knight posted:

toronto renamed their subway lines to numbers for whatever loving reason:
yonge university: line 1
bloor danforth: line 2
scarby rt: line 3
sheppard: line 4

after council poo poo the bed when ford was mayor, they agreed to replace the rt with an extension of the bloor line, rather than replace it wholesale with a new lrt line which would make far more sense

so now it's gonna be lines 1, 2, 4, and I guess 5 when the eglinton lrt is done

good jerb folks! 💯

why didn't they rename it the blood line

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I was late to work because a bus broke down and caused a big traffic jam. Fortunately I had AC, and coffee in my car and wasn't stuck on the side of the road waiting for another bus.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

blugu64 posted:

I was late to work because a bus broke down and caused a big traffic jam. Fortunately I had AC, and coffee in my car and wasn't stuck on the side of the road waiting for another bus.

up against the wall

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

blugu64 posted:

buses are a blight

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

having to use AC in march while commuting alone, its like those two things are related

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
global warming is ftw

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

buses are a blight

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=much+like+your+posting

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

global warming is ftw

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=much+unlike+your+posting

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

having to use AC in march while commuting alone, its like those two things are related

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
my car is electric and is wind powered, unlike that broken bus which runs (ran heh) off of natural gas produced by fracking.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
our buses here run off of cornohol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I need cornohol for my bushole

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Chris Knight posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chris Knight posted:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Wild EEPROM posted:

okay but if it isn't free to build and also ride then i will just buy a car because a hot babe will hug and kiss me if i have a car but will laugh at me if i ride a big bus that i have to pay for but don't even own

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

pm me

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

oh cool im gonna try that out

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chris Knight posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
they should make coal fired buses

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

they should make coal fired buses

they did. wood fired, too

popular in pre-war uk and japan and other places with high industrial development but little oil

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm just thinking about steam locomotives and how they required human people to shovel coal into the boiler. like, otherwise the engine stops. p. weird compared to today's technology

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm just thinking about steam locomotives and how they required human people to shovel coal into the boiler. like, otherwise the engine stops. p. weird compared to today's technology

really makes u think...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

only not

i have literally never seen a steam locomotive without a mechanical stoker, because they stopped making them before my grandfather was born.

literally all 20th century steam locomotives had'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
looking for the word "mechanical stoker" led me to wikipedia and the article is cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_stoker

quote:

The confined working conditions of a locomotive footplate meant that the earliest development of the stoker took place in this application. Designers sought to maximise power output in the locomotive by feeding coal at a rate faster than a man could shovel.

In locomotives the stoker was usually powered by a small steam engine located in the tender which drew its steam from the main boiler.

In early designs the coal would still be shovelled by the fireman into a hopper which would feed into a crusher and then a screw or bucket elevator would lift the pulverised coal to a position where it could be mechanically scattered across the burning coals of the furnace by a spreader. The spreader could be jets of steam, mechanical arms, or a fast rotating plate.

Later designs also mechanised the retrieval of the coal from the tender using steam ram powered pushers and/or a helical screw.

it is pretty badass to think about secondary, smaller steam engines distributed around the locomotive to do work unrelated to the main propulsive task

just a central "bus" of steam driving various engines, with the stoker and spreader given priority

• Locked thread