Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If they had just kept the pricing at roughly the same level as the Nexus phones instead of giving it "premium flagship" pricing they would have blown every other Android phone out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Collateral Damage posted:

If they had just kept the pricing at roughly the same level as the Nexus phones instead of giving it "premium flagship" pricing they would have blown every other Android phone out of the water.

It still does.

The pricing is justified given the level of hardware/software refinement in it.

I've owned nearly every Nexus, the Pixel is on a whole different level.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

It's a premium flagship device though?

I understand the argument that Google should have stayed in the upper-middle market like the Nexus stuff was, but the Pixel isn't that and expecting it to priced as such is dumb.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aaargh shithouse firewalls that randomly break OSPF and need rebooting to fix, gently caress you gently caress you I want to launch you into a compactor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So I work in a office straight out of the 70's

Ancient IBM line printer, hole in the wall from where the exhaust fan used to be (from back in the good old days when you could smoke in your office), 1970's Sears AC unit in the wall, mis-matched desks, chair from elementary school, green carpet that matches the wallpaper...

They've been on a remodeling kick. So they come in and paint the walls and drop ceiling some light gray color, put in new carpet, and get the cheapest desks they can find from Herman Miller or Steelcase, whoever gives them a better deal that month. As a bonus they are going to insulate that wall on the left and get us a new combination heat/cooling unit because it's either 30 degrees or 90 degrees in here.

I met with the furniture guy, and this was the layout I wanted, along with what we currently have.

Green - workbench for setting up PC's or whatever
Red - desks
Blue - meeting table of sorts, or a place for contractors to sit while they are here

The goals were: intern/helpdesk guy can sit by each other since they work with each other and do similar things, and they need the work bench for setting up PC's and stuff like that. Manager/system analyst can sit by each other. Everyone is facing the door (on the right in the picture, can't see it) so you can greet people that come in, instead of having our backs to the door.

It was approved, we were waiting to get everything installed. Then the owner's wife came in with carpet samples.

;-* did you see your layout?

:v: yea, I talked to the furniture guy and that's what we came up with

;-* oh well I just changed it all today

So this is what we're getting.

Bah. No work desk, intern desk (on the right edge) and 1 other desk are the only ones that face the door. Bah.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your office is a loving dump

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

A phone with "premium flagship" stats but budget price would indeed be awesome...but that kind of hardware is expensive. My last 2 smartphones were Nexuses, and their performance, and battery life, was pathetic compared to the Pixel.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Not saying they should sell the Pixel at Nexus 5 prices, but it's almost twice the cost of the Nexus 6P and that's pretty stiff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not saying they should sell the Pixel at Nexus 5 prices, but it's almost twice the cost of the Nexus 6P and that's pretty stiff.

Except that's not true.

32gb Nexus 6p launched at $499
32gb Pixel launched at $649 XL $769

So, the pixel is a 23% premium and the XL is a 50% premium over the 6p.

Nether of those are anywhere near double the cost.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

skooma512 posted:

poo poo like this is why went to the iPhone. At least Apple doesn't let Verizon mess with it like they do with Androids. Seemed like the only people who got mess with Android's rom was Verizon.

I'm locked into Verizon due to a family plan.

I got a company provided iphone and my galaxy 6 has been sitting in a drawer since I started using it. Oh well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Except that's not true.

32gb Nexus 6p launched at $499
32gb Pixel launched at $649 XL $769

So, the pixel is a 23% premium and the XL is a 50% premium over the 6p.

Nether of those are anywhere near double the cost.

The insane battery life alone is worth that 23%. I had every Nexus, and the batteries on them were all hot garbage. The pixel I don't even plug in some nights, and it's fine. I just connect it when I get in the shower and by the time I'm out it's 100% and off I go.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The insane battery life alone is worth that 23%. I had every Nexus, and the batteries on them were all hot garbage. The pixel I don't even plug in some nights, and it's fine. I just connect it when I get in the shower and by the time I'm out it's 100% and off I go.

You just twigged my interest.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

tactlessbastard posted:

You just twigged my interest.

Get this, I have a 1.5 hour train to and from the city that is all phone screen on, and it's still not an issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In case anyone is wondering what the difference is between what Google is doing with the Pixel as opposed to Nexus:

Nexus was a hardware target for AOSP. AOSP, by its nature, had broad hardware compatibility. This means that while AOSP was built to run on Nexus devices, the Nexus images were not very device optimized. They used the same public interfaces to the hardware that anyone could build against.

Android for the Pixel used the same way the OEM like Samsung uses it. ASOP is used as a base, but the image is very device specific and optimized. Instead of using a public API to access hardware, they might interface at the driver level (for example.)

One example of this would be encryption. On a Nexus device, encryption is accelerated using ARM's Neon extensions as that's something that would be in every ARM chipset that met a minimum spec. It's a software solution (even though it is accelerated.) With the Pixel, there is no restriction with putting a hardware specific optimization in place. So, the SD821's hardware accelerated encryption was used and we finally have an Android device that has minimal performance penalty for encryption.

So, a Pixel is much much closer to an iPhone in execution than anything that has come before it in the Android space.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
poo poo that's pissing me off: my S7A updated to 7.0 and now the portrait to landscape screen transition is completely hosed up with a lot of lag and misrendered screens and the Samsung keyboard has completely forgotten all my custom words.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tactlessbastard posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off: my S7A updated to 7.0 and now the portrait to landscape screen transition is completely hosed up with a lot of lag and misrendered screens and the Samsung keyboard has completely forgotten all my custom words.

Factory reset usually helps.

Please do the needful and revert

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
TIL if a message is over a certain size barracuda will let it through regardless of how many links to Chinese diet pills it contains. :bang:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

TIL if a message is over a certain size barracuda will let it through regardless of how many links to Chinese diet pills it contains. :bang:

Barracuda Help Text posted:

Messages bigger than the size specified here will not undergo body scans. Spammers are less likely to send very large messages. The default value is 256000 bytes (250kB).

Haha, all they need to do is include a lovely jpeg signature and it automatically gets through the spam filter. Great!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Yes, and the best part is that it's a feature.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Get this, I have a 1.5 hour train to and from the city that is all phone screen on, and it's still not an issue.

Where in the world did you move to? I thought you were coming from Union?

Also chiming in with love for the Pixel. The difference between it and the 6 is night and day. The rapid charging capability is EXTREMELY useful.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tigren posted:

Haha, all they need to do is include a lovely jpeg signature and it automatically gets through the spam filter. Great!

That is loving absurd. What is the max size you can set for that?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure it counts images and attachments differently, and that they're just talking about the body of the message. The reason it has a size limit is that it can run out of memory/processing power and it'll just let things through in order to not crash the service or hold up mail delivery for everything else. Failing open on spam is a pretty good idea comparatively.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

Where in the world did you move to? I thought you were coming from Union?

Also chiming in with love for the Pixel. The difference between it and the 6 is night and day. The rapid charging capability is EXTREMELY useful.

Nope. Bergen county. Njt all the way.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I bet they thought the guy that came up with that idea in 1998 was a genius.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sickening posted:

Is this a phone worth having? What is SA's hot take on it.

I've got the PixelXL and I absolutely love it. Everything about it is smooth. I don't miss any of the bells and whistles.

I will be pissed af if they get rid of the headphone jack in the Pixel 2

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
You guys have convinced me to get a Pixel XL. I still have a Note 3, and its getting rather slow and crashy. Im also looking at Google's mobile phone service. I'd be paying about what I am now with AT&T for both the Pixel and the Google phone/data service combined. Anything I should know before making the switch? Being able to travel outside the US without horrendously overpriced fees is very alluring as well.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
If you're looking to save some money the oneplus 3 has Android 7, is really nice, and is a bit cheaper than the pixel.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If the Huawei Mate 9 Pro is available in the US now, it is probably the best android phone for the price.

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_9_pro-8396.php

And for people worried about battery life, it has a 4000mAh battery.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MANime in the sheets posted:

You guys have convinced me to get a Pixel XL. I still have a Note 3, and its getting rather slow and crashy. Im also looking at Google's mobile phone service. I'd be paying about what I am now with AT&T for both the Pixel and the Google phone/data service combined. Anything I should know before making the switch? Being able to travel outside the US without horrendously overpriced fees is very alluring as well.

I'm using it (although work is paying all the bills). A friend of mine has a saying, "two turkeys don't make an eagle", which is somewhat true. It's been generally very good, but there are certain places where both T-mobile and Sprint get bogged down during rush hour, and your data will be less than excellent.

That said, it's only a few places, and that's more an artifact of their carriers than of Fi itself.

I still have an iPhone with T-mobile, but that's for other reasons (free femtocell for my apartment with poor reception among others)

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 11, 2017

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Part 3 is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WueXBCE8vo

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I was half expecting him to nail into a power or plumbing line.

Edit: of loving course he rices out the rack at the end of it, there is no facepalm big enough for this.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 12, 2017

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
10 seconds in and he's wearing socks with sandals how does this man manage to be terrible at everything.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not going to check, but his videos are all monetized, right?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

anthonypants posted:

I'm not going to check, but his videos are all monetized, right?

Of course, and on top of the usual Youtube stuff there's also always a 30 second bit promoting something at the start or end of every video.

I half think he does dumb poo poo deliberately (like pull everything out of the rack to clean it and not install this dusty dirty insulation at that time, but rather after everything is re-installed and being used) to make more "interesting" content.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It was fun watching his minor transformation from Chipper Tech Bro to Unimpressed Blue Collar Misanthrope through continually loving up and hurting himself

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
The noise isolation seems pretty poo poo too, not just with the dust. I wonder if a proper solution would've really been much more expensive.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rudager posted:

Of course, and on top of the usual Youtube stuff there's also always a 30 second bit promoting something at the start or end of every video.

I half think he does dumb poo poo deliberately (like pull everything out of the rack to clean it and not install this dusty dirty insulation at that time, but rather after everything is re-installed and being used) to make more "interesting" content.
Gosh, I wonder how he has money to do all this dumb poo poo. Oh well, better keep watching and sharing his videos.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm glad part three is out, I've been following along at work to clean up our racks and so it's been a rough week waiting. Gonna be sick when we get those RGBs though

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

anthonypants posted:

Gosh, I wonder how he has money to do all this dumb poo poo. Oh well, better keep watching and sharing his videos.

Why should I care if he get's paid, it's hilarious to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's pretty much how 95% of channels on YouTube stay afloat. Do something embarrassingly stupid, get people to share the videos going "look at this moron", collect ad money.