Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snak posted:

Really? I thought it was hilarious. Not as good as Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, though.

It's so derivative of KKBB and Lethal Weapon as to feel stale, the plot is not just an afterthought, it's an active distraction from the chemistry of the leads, its politics are cynical and half assed, and the characters are stock types with almost no nuance to boot. There are some funny jokes, maybe slightly more than there are duds, and Gosling is a great physical comedian as it turns out. It feels and looks like a feature length pilot for a network dramedy with some titties and fucks thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

How do you mean? Or rather, I get how a Sasquatch movie is different from a Kong/Mighty Joe Young style ape feature and wonder what's up with Kong that it's more of the former.

It's something I'm trying to pin down myself, but I'd say the main difference is that (giant) apes are those that end up mistakenly worshipped as gods, whereas Sasquatch is God. It's not incarnation in a Christian sense, but in much the way Yahweh appears to Moses as a stubborn child in Scott's Exodus.

Skull Island's Kong walks fully upright, which is important. He's never understood as an animal - always as 'a king', or 'an enemy'. There's none of the animal rights stuff familiar from Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes or Peter Jackson's film. The character is thoroughly anthropomorphized, even though (or because) he remains at least somewhat mysterious and inscrutable.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Which is interesting, because then you have the atypical relationship between Kong and Larson, which is presented as optimistic. Kong is basically taking the part of God in the Old Testament Sodom & Gemorrah myth of Genesis, judging whether he should unilaterally kill all potential threats, or make a 'covenant' with a particular tribe.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's something I'm trying to pin down myself, but I'd say the main difference is that (giant) apes are those that end up mistakenly worshipped as gods, whereas Sasquatch is God. It's not incarnation in a Christian sense, but in much the way Yahweh appears to Moses as a stubborn child in Scott's Exodus.

Skull Island's Kong walks fully upright, which is important. He's never understood as an animal - always as 'a king', or 'an enemy'. There's none of the animal rights stuff familiar from Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes or Peter Jackson's film. The character is thoroughly anthropomorphized, even though (or because) he remains at least somewhat mysterious and inscrutable.

I'd say a big difference is the racial aspect, where the Giant Ape is more or less explicitly a Darkest Africa thing, the Sasquatch is rather an idealized image of Native American religion. So Kong takes on a primeval ancestor, Lovecraftian "what if we're ALL niggers" terror, and the logical follow up of realizing that's not only true but irrelevant, that blacks/Kong were never inferior and the white cast/audience was never cosmically important.

The imperial victory over North American indigenes was so total that they've been rendered unthreatening, even admirable, in absence, so their religions are given an (anachronistic) monotheistic sheen, where Sasquatch can be an incarnation of the Great Spirit that serves as a New Agey stand in for Yahweh. Leaving aside that thought in NA before European contact was pre axial, he becomes "just" a hairy angel, and usually isn't antagonistic at all, and if he is it's out of a righteous vengeance.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Barry Lyndon is the prettiest movie I've ever seen

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
To SMG's point about truth versus factuality, I'd like to note that Godzilla '14 is chock full of that poo poo as well. One of the best scenes in that is when a pack of navy functionaries are spouting technical specifications about Gojira for what seems like forever, only for Serizawa to roll into the room and end that discussion with a simple "he is hunting"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Barry Lyndon is the prettiest movie I've ever seen

It's also funny and not boring at all. When I read the contemporary reviews after seeing it I was really perplexed. In the 2010a Kubrick could have made it as a multi season HBO dramedy and it would have been a giant hit.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jenny Angel posted:

To SMG's point about truth versus factuality, I'd like to note that Godzilla '14 is chock full of that poo poo as well. One of the best scenes in that is when a pack of navy functionaries are spouting technical specifications about Gojira for what seems like forever, only for Serizawa to roll into the room and end that discussion with a simple "he is hunting"

Which is cool because he's bullshitting, but not any more than they are. He's just cooler about it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/840111496050823172/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DeimosRising posted:

Which is cool because he's bullshitting, but not any more than they are. He's just cooler about it.

Oh for sure, Brody's toddler is the only one who fully gets to the truth of the matter

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am choosing to see this as a Hannibal follow up.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Barry Lyndon would make a good musical.

How do you like your lattes?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
2016 catch-up status report: Hands of Stone is like some straight up beautiful mixture of Brian de Palma's Scarface and Raging Bull as if interpreted by Peter Greenway. It quietly rules.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
The best part of Get Out is when dude is running from the girlfriend who's shooting at him with a rifle and someone in my theater yelled out "RICKY!!!". Also, the dude next to me who when it started to get intense said to himself "well, technically it's just a movie" and at the girlfriend reveal, "I still would."

Best movie theater experience I've had since The Visit. It reminded me a lot of 70's Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 12, 2017

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Loved the audible "ah poo poo" when the sirens are heard.

Greatttttt movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Death By The Blues posted:

Barry Lyndon would make a good musical.

It would.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Tonight's double feature:

Edge of Seventeen vs. The Last Boyscout

Connection: emotional (im)maturity

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

2016 catch-up status report: Hands of Stone is like some straight up beautiful mixture of Brian de Palma's Scarface and Raging Bull as if interpreted by Peter Greenway. It quietly rules.

As interpreted by Greenaway in what sense?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My bank froze almost all of my funds for no apparent reason, for over a week. I only know this because I just had a very awkward situation involving a restaurant tab. Time to switch banks I guess.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Did you go back to that pub? Was a good pub.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

As interpreted by Greenaway in what sense?

It reminds me visually a lot of Eisenstein in Guanajuato, especially in its use of disorientingly wide-angle photography.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
There is a film festival in Guanajuato I really wanna go to. They screen some of their films in a graveyard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did you go back to that pub? Was a good pub.

Nah, I was going to the movies to see Get Out and get some use out of the movie pass my sister got me for X-mas, so I just ate at the little restaurant next door. Now the fajitas taste like public embarrassment.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
:(

Sorry to hear that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

It reminds me visually a lot of Eisenstein in Guanajuato, especially in its use of disorientingly wide-angle photography.

Ah, that's too bad, I was hoping you meant it was a Jacobean revenge drama.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

The best part of Get Out is when dude is running from the girlfriend who's shooting at him with a rifle and someone in my theater yelled out "RICKY!!!".

Hahahaha that's amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The theater was empty and quiet for my showing because everyone in the universe was piling into the IMAX screening of Kong instead. I haven't seen lines like that since the opening of Attack of the Clones (I was going to see an unrelated film).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

Which is interesting, because then you have the atypical relationship between Kong and Larson, which is presented as optimistic. Kong is basically taking the part of God in the Old Testament Sodom & Gemorrah myth of Genesis, judging whether he should unilaterally kill all potential threats, or make a 'covenant' with a particular tribe.

What interests me is that Kong, in this latest film, has absolutely no contact no communication - with the islanders. (I honestly get the impression that Kong is not mute at all - that he, like them, chooses to remain silent.) The fact that there are no sacrifices is absolutely crucial here. Kong just arbitrarily stopped killing people, and ceased interaction altogether. No-one is sure why, and no-one cares to know. You could say the islanders worship the absence of God.

You even get this scene of anti-sacrifice where Larson runs through the fence and into the field, to free the trapped cow - a mix of the T-Rex and Triceratops reveals in Jurassic Park. The giant water buffalo is therefore, aptly, a mix of (sacrificial) goat and "veggiesaurus".

DeimosRising posted:

I normally hate shared universe stuff (and Kong's post-credit thing is it's only dud), but the film absolutely works absolutely perfectly as an origin story for Serizawa's crew of well-meaning doofuses in Godzilla '14.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 12, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lurdiak posted:

I haven't seen lines like that since the opening of Attack of the Clones (I was going to see an unrelated film).

"Officer, I swear, I was just seeing 'Panic Room'!"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I saw Get Out with a packed house that was loving every second of it. Near the end, when it's revealed it's Rodney, not the cops, the whole theater burst into applause.

Also, Egbert's Saturday movie pig-out has been The Man from Laramie, All That Heaven Allows, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? since I'm trying to clear out my DVR with movies from last March.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

I saw Get Out with a packed house that was loving every second of it. Near the end, when it's revealed it's Rodney, not the cops, the whole theater burst into applause.

Also, Egbert's Saturday movie pig-out has been The Man from Laramie, All That Heaven Allows, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? since I'm trying to clear out my DVR with movies from last March.

I think my oldest is The Baby, from October

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I rewatched Heavy Traffic yesterday, and that's a hell of a weird movie. It's fractured and cheap and incredibly problematic in the fields of race, sex, trans issues, etc., but it manages to make a cartoon as 70's-New-York-gritty as Taxi Driver.

I watched The Invisible Man today. It loving rules, Claude Rains gives a hell of a performance even though a lot of his screentime is just his voice. Really cool effects, too.

Girlfriend and I have tickets to see Get Out in less than an hour. I'm super stoked.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

What interests me is that Kong, in this latest film, has absolutely no contact no communication - with the islanders. (I honestly get the impression that Kong is not mute at all - that he, like them, chooses to remain silent.) The fact that there are no sacrifices is absolutely crucial here. Kong just arbitrarily stopped killing people, and ceased interaction altogether. No-one is sure why, and no-one cares to know. You could say the islanders worship the absence of God.

You even get this scene of anti-sacrifice where Larson runs through the fence and into the field, to free the trapped cow - a mix of the T-Rex and Triceratops reveals in Jurassic Park. The giant water buffalo is therefore, aptly, a mix of (sacrificial) goat and "veggiesaurus".

Kind of like a "better than"/"actually good" version of The Interview/Sausage Party.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DeimosRising posted:

It's so derivative of KKBB and Lethal Weapon as to feel stale, the plot is not just an afterthought, it's an active distraction from the chemistry of the leads, its politics are cynical and half assed, and the characters are stock types with almost no nuance to boot. There are some funny jokes, maybe slightly more than there are duds, and Gosling is a great physical comedian as it turns out. It feels and looks like a feature length pilot for a network dramedy with some titties and fucks thrown in.
The end of the second act felt really mean-spirited, and how the perpetrator of that act tied to an entirely different plot point late in the film was just baffling to me. Also, I didn't like how a flash of something in the opening was going to tie in with the big twist in the film, maybe I like that sort of thing in movies I can't remember right now, but I didn't like it here. I think I'm just allergic to Syd Field plot machinations at this point.

Still, if Gosling was going to be nominated for Best Actor, it should've been for this film rather than the other one.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

The best part of Get Out is when dude is running from the girlfriend who's shooting at him with a rifle and someone in my theater yelled out "RICKY!!!". Also, the dude next to me who when it started to get intense said to himself "well, technically it's just a movie" and at the girlfriend reveal, "I still would."

Both of those are so good.

How do you like your lattes?

When my high school summer job was right next to a coffee place we all knew each other + got like 20% discounts since we were part of the same shopping complex, so I basically got to try everything that they had. The half London fog/half white chocolate latte was my absolute favorite. I haven't had one since then since I'd feel like an rear end in a top hat ordering that under pretty much any other circumstances and it'd be a total pain in the rear end to make at home.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was gonna see Kong with my girlfriend today, but noooo, we had to go to the book fair. Guess I'll be seeing it on Monday.

Also, please let history repeat itself and give us Shin Kong.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coaaab posted:

The end of the second act felt really mean-spirited, and how the perpetrator of that act tied to an entirely different plot point late in the film was just baffling to me. Also, I didn't like how a flash of something in the opening was going to tie in with the big twist in the film, maybe I like that sort of thing in movies I can't remember right now, but I didn't like it here. I think I'm just allergic to Syd Field plot machinations at this point.

Still, if Gosling was going to be nominated for Best Actor, it should've been for this film rather than the other one.

Pretty much all Shane Black movies are incredibly mean-spirited, for what it's worth.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

Kind of like a "better than"/"actually good" version of The Interview/Sausage Party.

More like a less good version of Long Day's Journey Into Night, tbh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

(I honestly get the impression that Kong is not mute at all - that he, like them, chooses to remain silent.)

Er... do you mean "mute" as in "makes no vocalizations at all" or "mute" as in "doesn't speak human languages?"

If you mean the latter, I'm genuinely curious what thought process led you to the assumption that a giant gorilla can speak human languages instead of gorilla ones and is simply choosing not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Edge of Seventeen was good. Like a less cutesy Juno where nobody gets pregnant and Woody Harrelson is just kinda hanging out on set while they shoot it

Edit: it sits comfortably between Juno and It Follows, if that makes sense

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 12, 2017

• Locked thread