Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Madness at Gardmore Abbey trip report: super fun so far, my players are having a good time and so am I. It's such a different feeling from prepping session to session to have a whole complex megadungeon laid out ready to use with the party being able to go wherever they want. Consequently they made a beeline straight for the area where level 10 enemies dwell and already cleared probably the most lucrative encounters in the module.

They also got into a fight with some gargoyles and left one standing. We quickly determined there was actually no way they could take it down in stone form, so the warlord wrote CAUTION GARGOYLE on it in eternal chalk ("sure, it's a nice flavour item, not sure if you'll ever find a use for it though") and they went their merry way. I thought I might add it to a future encounter but instead I might just keep it as a recurring background feature. Never attacking or acting, just perching in increasingly unlikely places and watching.

Adventure plot spoilers ahead:

- they went through three encounters with the rival party in one session. Which suits me fine, because the fourth is now in a place where anything but the final encounter with them would have been awkward (the watchtower).
- they had not explored the feygrove when they finished Padraig's first quest. They knew the rivals were around and said as much, so I adapted his second quest to "try and see if these others will ally with our cause, we need all the allies we can get. And also map that forest." Then I had the rivals tell them to shove it, but now when they meet Berrian they'll (hopefully) remember Padraig needs allies, and it'll be their own idea to make peace with him.

Clearly it took its new title as the CAUTION GARGOYLE to heart and now perches right before extremely dangerous things. Steep ledges, spike traps, murderous monsters etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so I was building up a new character for a game using the old Offline Character Builder, and after I was finished I remembered I had another character sitting in it, but when I loaded it up it seemed to not have remembered the class info(I had selected one of the Essentials classes), indeed on double checking, it seemed all of the info for supplements after PHB 3, when I clearly remember it having more or less everything through the end of Essentials in the past(through using the CBLoader program), anyone have any idea how to fix this, especially since the CBLoader wiki went dead a long while ago

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

so I was building up a new character for a game using the old Offline Character Builder, and after I was finished I remembered I had another character sitting in it, but when I loaded it up it seemed to not have remembered the class info(I had selected one of the Essentials classes), indeed on double checking, it seemed all of the info for supplements after PHB 3, when I clearly remember it having more or less everything through the end of Essentials in the past(through using the CBLoader program), anyone have any idea how to fix this, especially since the CBLoader wiki went dead a long while ago

never mind, I found out what was wrong, I was using the wrong program

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Clearly it took its new title as the CAUTION GARGOYLE to heart and now perches right before extremely dangerous things. Steep ledges, spike traps, murderous monsters etc.
I suddenly have this notion of adding an encounter to the adventure where the party comes across a row of statues, all with CAUTION GARGOYLE written on them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I found out that my store still has some 4e adventures and general content like that, and I was thinking of picking something up. Does anyone have any info about the following?

-Hammerfast
-Vor Rukoth
-Seekers Of The Ashen Crown
-Thunderspire Labyrinth
-Pyramid Of Shadows
-Demon Queen's Enclave

They might have Dungeon Delve, as per the OP, but I don't remember off the top of my head

I also saw they have Power Cards for the Fighter, both Martial Power and PHB ones (and some more classes). What's the difference between the two card sets?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serperoth posted:

I found out that my store still has some 4e adventures and general content like that, and I was thinking of picking something up. Does anyone have any info about the following?

-Hammerfast
-Vor Rukoth
-Seekers Of The Ashen Crown
-Thunderspire Labyrinth
-Pyramid Of Shadows
-Demon Queen's Enclave

They might have Dungeon Delve, as per the OP, but I don't remember off the top of my head

I also saw they have Power Cards for the Fighter, both Martial Power and PHB ones (and some more classes). What's the difference between the two card sets?
Going in order...

Hammerfast and Vor Rukoth are quite good, particularly the latter. Both have older monster stats, so be advised, but that's okay because they are sandbox locations, not adventures per se.

Thunderspire and Demon Queen's Enclave are both fair-to-middling adventures at best, though they are the two best of the HPE series. You can almost definitely mine them for ideas. And the maps are solid. They - like the entire HPE series - use old monster math and are stuffed with filler fights to churn through the slavishly-adhered-to XP charts. But both have very solid core concepts. Probably not worth full price, though - the inspirational material isn't that plentiful.

PoS is a total PoS. You are buying a map, maybe two; only buy it if it is at a reasonable price for maps. With considerable work you could maybe turn it into a reasonable adventure.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Going in order...

Hammerfast and Vor Rukoth are quite good, particularly the latter. Both have older monster stats, so be advised, but that's okay because they are sandbox locations, not adventures per se.

Thunderspire and Demon Queen's Enclave are both fair-to-middling adventures at best, though they are the two best of the HPE series. You can almost definitely mine them for ideas. And the maps are solid. They - like the entire HPE series - use old monster math and are stuffed with filler fights to churn through the slavishly-adhered-to XP charts. But both have very solid core concepts. Probably not worth full price, though - the inspirational material isn't that plentiful.

PoS is a total PoS. You are buying a map, maybe two; only buy it if it is at a reasonable price for maps. With considerable work you could maybe turn it into a reasonable adventure.

I think prices should be slashed across the board (for example the PHB2 was 35 euro, compared to 5e stuff which is at 45-50), so I'll definitely do a price check on the locations, and probably Thunderspire and DQE at least, thank you very much for the info :)

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a lot of fun hacking Hammerfast into my old 13th Age campaign.

I used it as a hub for an adventurer's guild and pulled a lot of quests from Dungeon and Tales of the 13th Age to expand the overall dragon resurrection story for Hammerfast.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've agreed to do something that's possibly very stupid.

I'm DMing a 4e game for a bunch of good friends. However, there's been a lot of interest in the game and we now have nine (!!!) players. I'm not too worried about this generally as we're happy to play without everyone present and sessions where all nine can make it are going to be few and far between.

However I'm not too sure how to handle the first session. The plot has already been laid out so I'm happy to throw them directly into the action, and I'm tempted to run a single huge combat that will take up the whole session and give everyone and opportunity to get back into the swing of things (they've all played before but it's been a couple of years for most of us).

Any thoughts on how I should put something like this together? I've run 8 player sessions in the past so I'm comfortable with keeping the pace up and have a realistic view of what we can actually get done, it's mostly about producing something that will be an effective refresher for them all.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Split the party. Run both combats at once.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Get one of them to DM for four, DM the others. Do not run more than six PCs or it takes too long for a round to cycle. The sooner you get the other DM prepping the better, so figure out who that is. Good luck.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

slydingdoor posted:

Get one of them to DM for four, DM the others.

Yeah, ten people total is perfect for two games of four players each. Co-ordinate the two games, mix and match the characters between teams. Make sure there's always two tasks that need completed per adventure so it makes sense. Maybe have a big fight with all eight characters once in a while.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gort posted:

Yeah, ten people total is perfect for two games of four players each. Co-ordinate the two games, mix and match the characters between teams. Make sure there's always two tasks that need completed per adventure so it makes sense. Maybe have a big fight with all eight characters once in a while.

Partner with the other DM and have your groups be rival adventurers in the same world.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordiceius posted:

Partner with the other DM and have your groups be rival adventurers in the same world.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
A better gimmick: run both games using the same adventure or whatever and have them both be from an alternate timeline. Get them to buy in so they don't immediately diverge so much that the two DMs would need to do double the prep anyway.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The boss is a creature that exists across timelines, split in two aspects that each do evil in one game and serve as the end boss. And then, if you're up for it, you combine the timelines and both parties must work together to defeat the reunited boss in a climactic battle in intertemporal space.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best and most important part of any 2-parties-1-world (or split timelines or w/e) is crossover games or missions. If you go that route don't think you need to save that for the big finale, after every adventure let players ask "would X character make sense in Y party for this next adventure? would that be fun?" and swap people around. Obviously if the two parties absolutely loathe one another that's different, but even rivals have to play nice sometimes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Have them competing for the favor of a King or a god or something. Give them a reason to be rivals. If they're both out to earn a god's favor, they'd have reason to not group up, but there could still be reasons why they might team up against a bigger bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If anyone's interested in playing a horror-themed 4e game on Roll20, I'm recruiting for one now and have been having a little trouble scaring up the numbers. A couple of slots left anyway.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I want to get into playing D&D, likely online via Roll20 or something because I don't know enough people IRL who would play and I feel like online makes the scheduling somewhat easier. The problem is I'm totally new to D&D. I've played Through the Breach (like 2 sessions) and listen to podcasts where people play D&D, that's basically the extent of it. I understand the basics but don't know any terminology or anything. I've downloaded the "Player Basic Rules" from Wizards' site but are there any easy resources for a guy like me to check out without having to buy a bunch of books I may never use if I can't find a group?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If you're talking about 4e specifically then the quick start rules and Keep on the Shadowfell are available for free online http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/110212

Also thanks all for the big table suggestions. I'm running a really simple skill challenge / boss fight session tomorrow to get everyone back into D&D and if the sessions stay over subscribed I'll look into the split / competing parties ideas

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 12, 2017

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thanks, I downloaded that and read through it (well, not the campaign it comes with, but the other stuff). Any simple guides or rules to follow when it comes to character creation?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

The Berzerker posted:

Thanks, I downloaded that and read through it (well, not the campaign it comes with, but the other stuff). Any simple guides or rules to follow when it comes to character creation?
It's tough to completely screw up character creation in 4e. The main thing is to make sure you come out of character creation with at least an 18 in whatever stat you use to hit things.

If you want to go deeper, there are a bunch of class guides out on EnWorld that were salvaged from the WotC forums before they went down (here's the Fighter's handbook for instance). They're most useful when you have access to everything, but they can still give you some basic tips on what to look for even if you're limited to certain books.

e: Also, avoid hybrids at all costs unless you know exactly what you're doing. 90% of the combinations are a trap, and will come out significantly worse than one class alone. Multiclass feats are fine though, but much more limited in scope.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hell the game's math is built around the assumption that you have a 16 in your prime stat. 18 is better but RAW the game is built on the assumption that you hit an enemy of your level on a roll of 10 or better, or 55% of the time. The enemy hits around 50%, and this is before the effects from specific powers, marks, etc. come into play and that all tips the balance in the PCs' favor.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Party Boat posted:

If you're talking about 4e specifically then the quick start rules and Keep on the Shadowfell are available for free online http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/110212

Also thanks all for the big table suggestions. I'm running a really simple skill challenge / boss fight session tomorrow to get everyone back into D&D and if the sessions stay over subscribed I'll look into the split / competing parties ideas

Isn't Keep on the Shadowfell widely regarded as not very good or am I thinking of a different module? One of the big problems 4E had is that it was hobbled by the initial module that provided an absolutely horrid first impression.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Obligatum VII posted:

Isn't Keep on the Shadowfell widely regarded as not very good or am I thinking of a different module? One of the big problems 4E had is that it was hobbled by the initial module that provided an absolutely horrid first impression.

Yes, insofar as KOTS uses MM1-era monster math that makes monsters too hard to hit, and have too much HP, while also making them hit for too little damage.

I did run this last year though and released the updated statblocks to modernize the monsters.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Obligatum VII posted:

Keep on the Shadowfell is not very good and in fact 4E has effectively no good modules on anything other than a relative to scale to each other. There's also supposed to be an early KotS fight well known for TPK-level difficulty, IIRC.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No mention of The Slaying Stone? :shrug:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

Character creation is pretty hard to gently caress up in 4e, and you can pretty much just post a character concept here and somebody can probably help you turn it into a viable character. "I want to be a gladiator with a spear and shield", etc.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

dont even fink about it posted:

in fact 4E has effectively no good modules on anything other than a relative to scale to each other.

Reavers of Harkenwold says you're wrong

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PMush Perfect posted:

No mention of The Slaying Stone? :shrug:

Slaying Stone is quite good imo

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Khizan posted:

Character creation is pretty hard to gently caress up in 4e, and you can pretty much just post a character concept here and somebody can probably help you turn it into a viable character. "I want to be a gladiator with a spear and shield", etc.

I didn't have much in mind besides wanting to roll up a bow and arrow guy (I guess that's a rogue?). I'm reading some D&D instructions for players that explain how to come up with a character (choose a race, then class, etc.) but I don't know if the rules I'm reading are applicable across all editions of D&D.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Berzerker posted:

I didn't have much in mind besides wanting to roll up a bow and arrow guy (I guess that's a rogue?). I'm reading some D&D instructions for players that explain how to come up with a character (choose a race, then class, etc.) but I don't know if the rules I'm reading are applicable across all editions of D&D.

You probably want Ranger for a straight-up bow and arrow man. Rogues can operate from range but I believe they prefer crossbows. Or daggers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, you can do a range rogue, but it's kinda niche. Ranger is your best all-around "Shoot the holy gently caress out of things with a bow" character, especially if you're newer.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah the player's rules I downloaded from Wizards' site only had Cleric, Figher, Wizard, and Rogue so IDK I thought that was closest.

Ranger sounds right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah the player's rules I downloaded from Wizards' site only had Cleric, Figher, Wizard, and Rogue so IDK I thought that was closest.

Ranger sounds right.

The Basic Rules available for free from WOTC's site is for 5th Edition.

This: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/110212/H1-Keep-on-the-Shadowfell--QuickStart-Rules-4e is the 4th Edition Quick-start rules + the Keep on the Shadowfell starter adventure, although the Ranger (or a ranged Rogue) isn't one of the pregens.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
What's the benchmark for combat encounters per day/Extended Rest in 4e?

I used to know, but apparently I've gone senile.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

P.d0t posted:

What's the benchmark for combat encounters per day/Extended Rest in 4e?

I used to know, but apparently I've gone senile.
Every two encounters, unless I'm terribly mistaken.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Every two encounters, unless I'm terribly mistaken.

Isn't it Two Encounters > Short Rest > Two Encounters > Milestone > Two Encounters > Long Rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
I always thought it was supposed to be four/day, thought I've always had the problem that I cram in so much extra story stuff to do that it's night time after two fights and I have to let them long rest.