Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Should healers cross class Fracture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fracture should be everyone's right, and they should get it just like everyone gets sprint.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Frankly it shatters my verisimilitude that not everyone can Fracture. Surely the Warrior of Light is capable of breaking some bones with a cane or hardcover book just as they can with a sword or axe.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Let me tell you guys a fun story.

So with my static we cleared A12S right before the new year. After that we kept clearing it every week and my weapon never dropped. Valentine's felll on what would have been our 8th week so some people were out traveling, being with their lovey doveys, etc. so we waited until monday next week so we could be all together. During that weekend the fanfest happens, a new anima quest is announced. We get our 8th clear and page, still no weapon but everybody in my static insists that I should wait until next week and the new anima step and that it would be stupid for me to buy the weapon for my main job now, and to save it for another job. But the main thing I play in the game is WAR and I don't play any other job nearly as seriously. I was already mad before that right when I'm able to get my raid weapon an anima step that makes it better gets slapped in my face invalidating all the work I put into raiding. While I'm making my mind about getting it for DRG or BRD I do other stuff in the meantime and BOOM, 9 days later YET ANOTHER weapon gets slapped in my face that renders the raid weapons even more obsolete and now I'm like "why should I even bother with buying one anymore?"

And to add more insult to injury there's the method of acquisition. It doesn't have anything to do with skill or time invested. It's ABSOLUTE LUCK. It's winning the lottery. HOW DOES SUCH A METHOD MAKE SENSE? And the only "effort" it takes is how long are you willing to afk inside the diadem. I'm gonna quote Xeno on this (watch at the timestamp) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127571027?t=39m34s

And when I look back and see other bad decisions by the dev team like completely removing chat from a pvp mode that requires team coordination then I can see how things are going downhill, dumbing everything down and adding painful grinds / many layers of RNG to make it justifiable.

Sorry, but that's not the game I want to play anymore.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I love that slap in the face is basically a meme they don't know they're using at this point.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

quote:

Yoshida also addressed the idea of adding emotes such as allowing characters to smoke or drink. He personally wants to add these things (it is important to note that Yoshida, at the time of our interview, had a pack of cigarettes on him), but it may cause certain issues with the ESRB rating if players can voluntarily take part.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
On the other end of the spectrum - does the "cutscenes during the main story quest" go away in HW?

Just ran the final mission in the base ARR scenario (7th Umbral quests), and only fought half the bosses because the second tank decided cutscenes are awful and so are every skippable trash mob. By the time I watched the cutscene, even with skipping through text as fast as possible, the boss room would be locked out so I'd watch from the sidelines. Sure, I can re-run it now and skip all the cutscenes, but it seems like awful dungeon design to let people start bosses without half the team, or to put in minutes long cutscenes mid-battle.

Or is the answer going to be - skip every cutscene and watch the videos on youtube afterward?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
After ARR they wised up and the vast, vast majority of cutscenes are now triggered when you accept/complete a quest, or when you exit from a dungeon by clicking the portal thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Surely they can just say players are drinking seawater, it worked for DBZ. And for smoking it can be some fake narcotic, much like how Fallout renamed morphine to med-x :v:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Leal posted:

Surely they can just say players are drinking seawater, it worked for DBZ. And for smoking it can be some fake narcotic, much like how Fallout renamed morphine to med-x :v:

Already in the game, re: delivering bug weed to chocobo hunters.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Cleric stance is an annoyance at best, and it's probably the main reason you see honest healers as a thing in FFXIV. They probably got punished super hard by losing a tank because they misused cleric stance, so they took it off their bars or set it aside so they'd have to click it specifically and only do that when they're soloing.

No, I'm pretty sure that most honest healers never even tried stance dancing.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, whenever I do play PvP on my BLM and its Ice time, I actually just start throwing out sleeps as fast as I can instead of damaging the ice. Sure 1 BLM can do a lot of damage, but I can do more "damage" by putting a player to sleep for 6-8 second every 2 seconds. (nevermind throwing out the AoE sleep on a bunched up group)

Or at least it feels that way, maybe I'm wrong!

Unless they changed it, this is exactly what casters should be doing because they do less damage to ice than physical DPS, like 50% less. So definitely cc enemies and snipe kills instead.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Obligatum VII posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that most honest healers never even tried stance dancing.

My opinion is better than your opinion. Neener Neener.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

bleuraindrops posted:

Unless they changed it, this is exactly what casters should be doing because they do less damage to ice than physical DPS, like 50% less. So definitely cc enemies and snipe kills instead.

Yeah I never bother attacking the ice, I always go around looking for people to annoy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

bleuraindrops posted:

Good to know! Though I guess that also means I should concentrate on sleeping physical DPS. Normally I just sleep the casters cause they stand at a distance and are easier to target individually. :v:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

bleuraindrops posted:

I think I remember it being 10% less, but the point still stands. No idea why they felt is was needed.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Primetime posted:

On the other end of the spectrum - does the "cutscenes during the main story quest" go away in HW?

Just ran the final mission in the base ARR scenario (7th Umbral quests), and only fought half the bosses because the second tank decided cutscenes are awful and so are every skippable trash mob. By the time I watched the cutscene, even with skipping through text as fast as possible, the boss room would be locked out so I'd watch from the sidelines. Sure, I can re-run it now and skip all the cutscenes, but it seems like awful dungeon design to let people start bosses without half the team, or to put in minutes long cutscenes mid-battle.

Or is the answer going to be - skip every cutscene and watch the videos on youtube afterward?

They realized the mistake after 2.0. Now all of the cutscenes happen either before the dungeon starts or after it ends so that people who don't wish to participate can just exit the duty. FFXIV has its flaws, but the developers do listen and learn and try.

I feel like "Please do Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium with your friends" should be in the OP.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 11, 2017

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

no you're too late

:negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, the boss fight at the end of the Heavensward MSQ oooowns.

Primetime posted:

I hated this so much but HW is much better about it and it isn't a problem there.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's so much better if you manage to convince goons to do it min ilvl with you.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

It's so much better if you manage to convince goons to do it min ilvl with you.

I agree, but this is one instance where completely no-selling the fight works thematically too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ImpAtom posted:

I hated this so much but HW is much better about it and it isn't a problem there.

You need to do the Bard version, its even better.

Either way, its amazing they managed to take a famous summon animation sequence and create a fairly accurate boss battle out of it (right down to the screen/glass shatter). :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Either way, its amazing they managed to take a famous summon animation sequence and create a fairly accurate boss battle out of it (right down to the screen/glass shatter). :v:

This should be the SMN LB3 in SB. The animation lock on Teraflare isn't nearly bad enough to be a true summon!

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And then they did it again and made a creative in-engine adaptation of all the original attacks in sequence for Hildibrand.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I figured it's been awhile, and the new patch has some material, so...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leofish posted:

:vince:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Skaw posted:

And then they did it again and made a creative in-engine adaptation of all the original attacks in sequence for Hildibrand.

Bonus points for calling out their attack in Hildebrand too.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Leofish posted:

Yes. Good

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
did anything worthwhile get asked at the q/a or did reddit hijack it with bullshit about customer service and glamour?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

did anything worthwhile get asked at the q/a or did reddit hijack it with bullshit about customer service and glamour?

Q: What’s the status on the male bunny outfit?

A: I do remember this! We talked about this here at PAX East last year. Our process for the Hyur and Roegadyn is done. The other races, we were working on it, but now we’re focused on developing Stormblood so it’s on hold at the moment. I’m sure the person in charge of that may be watching and had a realization like “… oh!” I did get to review the one for the Hyur and it was pretty nice, it was pretty sexy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Glamour is serious business. :colbert:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Leofish posted:

Nice.

Related question: does Diadem armor go up to i280 too, or is it just weapons?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Glamour is serious business. :colbert:
drat straight.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Q: What’s the status on the male bunny outfit?

A: I do remember this! We talked about this here at PAX East last year. Our process for the Hyur and Roegadyn is done. The other races, we were working on it, but now we’re focused on developing Stormblood so it’s on hold at the moment. I’m sure the person in charge of that may be watching and had a realization like “… oh!” I did get to review the one for the Hyur and it was pretty nice, it was pretty sexy.

In short, yes it was hijacked.

Do another press conference in Korea where they don't ask incessant questions about loving marriage, housing, and costumes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The bunny suit question is important, though.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

homeless snail posted:

The bunny suit question is important, though.

And Yoship thinks the Hyur one is sexy, tlwhisnis very important.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Emalde posted:

In short, yes it was hijacked.

Do another press conference in Korea where they don't ask incessant questions about loving marriage, housing, and costumes.

Those are all valid questions about the game, unlike "help I can't download good" or "I can't remember my account name".

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Maybe a Q&A is not the best place to do it but I would say trying to make people over there aware that they have really bad customer service is probably a good thing, and maybe a little more important than whatever other lovely questions people were gonna ask

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Red Red Blue posted:

Maybe a Q&A is not the best place to do it but I would say trying to make people over there aware that they have really bad customer service is probably a good thing, and maybe a little more important than whatever other lovely questions people were gonna ask

maybe don't forget your account name

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the customer service is really loving awful, but there's approximately a 0% chance that yoship has any real sway over that, especially westerner's customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Any real questions about meaty expansion content would be answered with vague deflections. Yoshi only chooses questions that he's okayed to answer in terms of development and marketing. We'll get demos and patch notes when they are officially released.

• Locked thread