Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I had my suspicions it was a heart thing, had a kitten of something similar but I never took it to an autopsy.

It was his daughter's dog, we're trying to figure out how to tell her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Looking for some suggestions with an issue I'm having with 1 our our 2 cats.

We have 2 cats, my cat (Juice) who I've had for ~6 years and it about as low maintenance as cats get and my wife's cat (Phoenix) who she's had for ~4 years and is very skittish but sweet when she gets to know you. The two cats have been living together for 2.5 years now and they aren't friends, but coexist peacefully. Juice wants desperately to be Phoenix's friend but she's having none of it. They can hang around in the same room but she generally avoids him and doesn't trust him. Phoenix uses the guest bedroom as her home base and spends probably 90% of her time in there, she'll hang out by the door and stuff and sometimes comes into the living room or our bedroom to hang out for a bit so it's not like we never see her, she just seems to feel much safer in that room. We have 2 litter boxes in our condo (1 in the laundry room and 1 in the guest bedroom).

The issue at hand is that 2-3 times a week Phoenix will pee on the dining room rug, towards the back of the room. On rare occasion she'll poop there as well. Best we can guess it's an issue with her litter box. When it first started we were scooping litter every other day or so (Juice isn't picky about his box and Phoenix wasn't when she was an only cat, so we didn't have the habit of scooping daily), so we started scooping the box in her room every day, which helped for a time. Then it started up again, so we now scoop her box twice a day. Twice a day stopped things for about a month and now they're starting back up again. We think she doesn't like using the box if Juice has used it, not necessarily if she's used it since it gets cleared 2 times a day (morning and evening) but the rug peeing isn't consistent.

I'm thinking we need to add another litter box, there's no realistic way to keep Juice from using that litter box (as far as I can imagine). I've come up with ideas for the location of the third box and am curious to hear what people think:

1. Right next to the current box in the guest bedroom. This should in theory provide a "clean" box option.
2. In another spot in the guest bedroom. Gives her another box in her "safe space" and keeps it away from the other box if it has been deemed "dirty".
3. In the dining room. I'd like to avoid this for litter scatter reasons but it would give her a non rug option in the area she has adopted as her alternative elimination area).

Also considering a covered box (right now they have high walled but open boxes), but I'm not sure if she'd like the shelter or feel vulnerable since she couldn't see Juice if he was around.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hiiiiii everyone, does anyone want to look at a friend? This is my friend, Timothy Whiskers the Prestidigitabby. I've had a lot of cats but this is def the best one who flings himself out of his litter box every time he uses it just to run a circle around the house. That's high praise. I don't even know if other cats have unlocked that tier of derp yet.
Anyway Tim came to us from a multi-cat household where he used to get abused by a kitten. He started spraying as a defense and picked it up as a habit, he usually sprays once or twice a move out of stress but it's not a regular occurrence. He also once got fleas from one of the apartments we were living in, so now during the coldest parts of winter he'll chew the hair off the base of his tail. We set up several spots around the house deliberately warmer than average, even invested in several new toys he loves, but he still chews his rear end bald and I'm not sure how to stop him. (It's definitely not fleas, we occasionally re-treat and comb through with a brush, finding nothing.)
We started giving him half a can of wet food on suspicion that his skin is dry, as any time he escapes into the basement he rolls around in the dust. It's like Chris Farley in the coke room, he makes the weirdest noises.

My wife and I used to foster kittens for the local shelter but we haven't since bringing Tim into the mix. Now that we're settled and have a houseful of empty rooms, we're considering reaching out to the local shelter about using a spare room as a kitten shanty. Since we have to keep them separated anyway, we figure Tim won't miss one of the spare bedrooms for a few months, and maybe having weird noises and smells creeping out from under a door would provide him enough entertainment to stop biting his butt?

My wife also suggested that a non-cat might be less offensive to Tim, so she's been thinking bunnies lately. A friend of ours has been breeding them accidentally, so she brought over a 5-month old buck to see how Tim reacted. I was surprised at how laid back he was, while his haunches were rankled initially, he calmed down shortly after I gave both of them head-skritches at the same time (which was AWESOME but anyway.) Tim was more worried by the presence of an unexplained carrying crate than he was the weird fuzzy thing that stomped loud. He even felt secure enough to saunter in and out of the room after a short while.
As a normally shy cat, I was really impressed. I didn't expect it to go half so well.

Anyway, I've never cohabitated cats and rabbits before, or even cats and cats. We'd obviously work things out with our shelter before reaching out to foster again, but I really want kittens. I'd also love a tiny bunny pal to help clean up my garden, but I think the responsible thing is to let my 12+ year old fat balding weirdo live out the rest of his days in languid indulgence. Tell me otherwise? Tell me a bunny friend might be the best thing for him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Re: Ouhei

I'd definitely add another box in the guest bedroom. If that doesn't work there are lots of other options to try.

We finally had success with our cat's peeing on the dog bed and couch by getting her on some pain meds (Gabapentin for her arthritis) and putting an open litter box in the bathroom. That made box number 6 for our family of 4 cats... and because of Buffy's arthritis is isn't a traditional litter box, it is the bottom from a cat carrier so it's easy for her to walk into. Unfortunately that leads to everycat using it and kicking litter all over the place. But at least the dog bed and couch are pee free. I also scoop the new box about 4 times per day to make sure she's using it all the time.

Our vet also had is try puppy pads in case it was a flat/soft surface preference but for Buffy it wasn't.

Good luck with your naughty cat!

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Joburg posted:

Re: Ouhei

I'd definitely add another box in the guest bedroom. If that doesn't work there are lots of other options to try.

We finally had success with our cat's peeing on the dog bed and couch by getting her on some pain meds (Gabapentin for her arthritis) and putting an open litter box in the bathroom. That made box number 6 for our family of 4 cats... and because of Buffy's arthritis is isn't a traditional litter box, it is the bottom from a cat carrier so it's easy for her to walk into. Unfortunately that leads to everycat using it and kicking litter all over the place. But at least the dog bed and couch are pee free. I also scoop the new box about 4 times per day to make sure she's using it all the time.

Our vet also had is try puppy pads in case it was a flat/soft surface preference but for Buffy it wasn't.

Good luck with your naughty cat!

Yeah, I mean I'm ultimately willing to put the box wherever works so I stop having to scrub the dining rug several times a week, but I think trying the guest bedroom makes the most sense as a starting point.

We currently have one of these in there: https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Open-Li...ords=litter+box

I was looking at something like this though: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N1NAPY/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER which I obviously can't just place next to the existing box.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Apparently Motor pulled out his own catheter last night which I can't imagine was a good time but he seems to be peeing on his own and the vet expects him to be able to go home tomorrow. No signs of urine leaking into his abdomen and he seems to be back to his normal rear end in a top hat self to the poor people working at the vet. I think we dodged a major bullet...

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Motor!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I learned how to administer subq fluids today and came home with a big bag of ringers and a bottle of antibiotics. Boop is gonna be so full of fluids she's not gonna know what hit her. Actually, the fluids have made a noticeable difference in her behavior both times so far and in pretty short order, so I'm feels ng pretty positive about the next couple weeks of cat time.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Hi! I have a cat named Saskia who has been with us for close to two years now since we got her from a local shelter. They said she was about two years old when we got her, but she was probably no more than 1 1/2. Also she had kittens there.

This is her on her favorite lumpy bag (she loves lumpy bags for some reason!).

We've had her using a large, open-top litter box and it's been working fine. Recently, we wanted to try out litter liners to see if that could help with how gross the box gets. The first ones I got were too small. The box said 17"x30" which was more than I thought I needed, but apparently much less. I don't understand what measurements they used, and they didn't explain on the box. :shrug: Naturally, she had issues using the box with the small liner and did her thing in the litter as well as around the linter (the sides would fall in, and she would claw at them like litter). I promptly got bigger liners that actually fit, and put one in. Now Saskia has a hard time using the box without pulling at the liner and ripping holes in it. She often pulls in whole corners or sides into the box to cover things up.

I'm wondering if this issue is a problem with liners in general or if it's directly related to having the too-small liner at first. Or maybe there's something else going on.

**Some basic info:

-3+ yo
-Female
-have had her since June 2015
-spayed
-food is CORE indoor formula
-last vet visit was several months ago
-totally indoor cat
-only pet
-just the one litter box (our apartment is 1 bed, 1 bath size)

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 7, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That's my experience with liners as well. They also taught my cats that plastic was for peeing on. You can try filling with more litter and maybe that will help, but chances are that's just how your cute cat rolls when digging.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Liners were created by people who've never owned cats.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Synthbuttrange posted:

Liners were created by people who've never owned cats.

I think that my family has had seven cats total and they've all been fine with liners. We just use regular old trash bags and litter boxes with detachable rims to keep them in place.

It probably just comes down to individual cats and whether or not they use their claws.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Yea I had my suspicions it was a heart thing, had a kitten of something similar but I never took it to an autopsy.

It was his daughter's dog, we're trying to figure out how to tell her.

Just get a new dog.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Just get a new dog.

Then act like it's the same dog and tell her she's crazy if she disagrees.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

I have no advice, but your cat's nose is a heart and I love her

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Our cats only have trouble with liners if we are lazy about scooping or changing. Then again my fiancee and I don't use liners with Scout and she's fine with that too!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TheMaestroso posted:

Recently, we wanted to try out litter liners to see if that could help with how gross the box gets.

Liners suck, scoop daily

Alternatively, try making a fiber pellet box

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

id like to try those wood pellets but its hard to get the stuff here. Id have to order it in which is ridiculous

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Liners work for some cats, I housesat a cat once who was great with them and it was indeed super convenient to change his litter. My two idiots shred them within a few hours though so I gave up using them in my own house pretty quickly.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I got a small sample of liners once and really liked them when Daisy was close to the end and her poo poo and piss both turned what should have been clumping litter into a goopy, muddy mess.

Now that we have a Litter Genie, I really only want one for the bottom of the box, I'm not worried about sifting liners since it's not as much of a pain to scoop anymore.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Thanks for the replies! We do scoop daily (always have), but our cat sometimes pees against the side of the box. By the box "getting gross" I meant that when changing litter I have to scrub it to get all the stuff stuck to the sides, which is hard to do in our cramped space. Considering your guys' thoughts, we'll just be switching back to no liners. She's ripping it up even with fresh litter, so it seems like it's just not for her. Thanks again!

Sassafrass says thanks as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So this saga continues... Motor was supposed to come home yesterday but they did an X Ray and saw some fluid in his abdomen so it looks like the rupture in his bladder is still there and he'll need the surgery to sow it up today.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
(Accidentally posted this as a new thread instead of a reply. My apologies.)

I've had my three cats for about 7 months now, and they're about 10 months old. They've always been good with using the litter box (though we had some accidents where I think one would torment another one "mid-business," leading them to run out of the box and finish pooping on the floor). But sometimes I come home to poopy spots on the floor where one has obviously rubbed his or her butt along the carpet. I've bought some of the enzymatic carpet spray that's supposed to help with urine and feces odor, and it seems to do the trick. Once Henry had poop all down his back legs and up his tail, so I'm assuming something didn't agree with him that night and he had a bit of diarrhea. I cleaned him up and cleaned up after him with no problem.

However, I have noticed all of them on occasion will fail to clean their butts properly. Like I did with Henry, I usually solve that with a warm, damp washcloth and/or a baby wipe (though maybe I shouldn't use those?). And since they're all eager to show off their butts at me during the day I can usually glance to see how they're doing back there.

But George is difficult. He's bigger than the others, though I think this was due to his overeating of the dry food I left out when they were younger. He's dropped a bit of weight since I changed to just feeding them wet food three times a day. I noticed some poop on the carpet today when I came home, and inspected each of them. George seemed to be the culprit, so I got a washcloth and hoisted him up on the counter to clean his butt. And his little butthole closes up so I can't clean it.

It always seems more closed than the others' are (I can't believe I'm describing cat butts in such detail right now). I don't know if that's due to his weight or just his natural body shape. I think he was always like this, even when he was a kitten.

Anyway, when I stop cleaning him and he relaxes, I can see (and smell) that he's still poopy back there. But I can't clean it without him closing up shop again. He doesn't claw me or even really fight me, except for scrambling to try to get away.

I'd like to find a way to just encourage them all to clean their butts better, or figure out how to clean up after them better. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

We've had a cat for about 4 months now, and about a month ago she started urinating outside of the tray. On advice we cleaned it, and eventually moved the tray to where she was doing it, which curbed it until recently. My girlfriend had an idea, swapping her litter tray and food bowls, the thinking being that she won't want to wee near where she eats. This would be ideal as the tray is currently behind a chair and it's a bit weird to have company over and the cat walks past them to piss and poo poo. Can this actually work or will it just annoy her/cause her to wee in her bowls etc?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
My normally calm and sweet cat got a little freaked out while I was clipping his claws, and when he jerked his foot away, I somehow managed to slice his toe pad open. It's kinda bad, like the pad part can be peeled back and you can see bloody stuff underneath. It didn't really bleed, though. I put some antibiotic ointment on it and now have his foot in a little sock that I secured around his leg with a tight hair-tie. I don't want him walking around in the litterbox with an open wound on his foot. Is it worth going to the vet tomorrow, or will they just tell me to basically keep doing what I'm doing?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I would take him to the vet. Also, make sure you aren't cutting off circulation with that hair tie or his foot will die and fall off.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

We've had a cat for about 4 months now, and about a month ago she started urinating outside of the tray. On advice we cleaned it, and eventually moved the tray to where she was doing it, which curbed it until recently. My girlfriend had an idea, swapping her litter tray and food bowls, the thinking being that she won't want to wee near where she eats. This would be ideal as the tray is currently behind a chair and it's a bit weird to have company over and the cat walks past them to piss and poo poo. Can this actually work or will it just annoy her/cause her to wee in her bowls etc?

Theoretically I think it could work but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone ever trying it, so I say go for it so we can all see what happens.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Chances are she'll pee around where the box was, into her bowls, or in a new fun spot. Has the car been seen by a vet since the inappropriate peeing started?

My own pissbaby was soothed by moving her box to a more convenient spot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I had a very tired cranky cat come home yesterday. He's on antibiotics and prescription food that he can't seem to figure out how to eat with the cone on but I'm very glad he's back. He's been pretty much sleeping on my lap all day. He had a super rough week and he's a little dirty from not being able to clean himself well and not being allowed to have a bath for a week but he's peeing and eating ok which is all I can ask for at this point.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

mcmagic posted:

I had a very tired cranky cat come home yesterday. He's on antibiotics and prescription food that he can't seem to figure out how to eat with the cone on but I'm very glad he's back. He's been pretty much sleeping on my lap all day. He had a super rough week and he's a little dirty from not being able to clean himself well and not being allowed to have a bath for a week but he's peeing and eating ok which is all I can ask for at this point.

Poor Motor. Glad he's on the mend!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

mcmagic posted:

Aw glad your buddy is finally home. I'm still dealing with a post-surgery cone cat myself. He'll figure out eating with the cone eventually. Antibiotics can also make them feel sick, I was spoon feeding my cat wet food when he was on his. He would also only eat freshly opened cans, so if he's refusing food that you opened earlier I recommend trying that. I picked up some cat wipes from the store to help my cat out with cleaning in addition to brushing him down everyday. He normally hates the wipes but he seems to actually really appreciate it, especially on his face. (obviously don't touch the surgical site)

Also FWIW, if you ever need to give him anymore meds that can be put into prescription wet food, purina proplan's unrinary canned food is super wet and goopy with chunks, it's perfect for hiding medication.

I hope he'll be back to his normal self soon and has a smooth recovery.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So has anyone who's had to administer IV fluids to their cat at home found that their cat begs for IV time and is super cooperative? :confused: There aren't any good drugs, it's ringers with potassium.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I had to give Sam fluids (just saline to make sure he was hydrated) after his first bout with crystals, he didn't like setting up but he was very calm throughout and very lovey-dovey for pets afterwards. Also he wobbled like a fuzzy football because his shoulders were all poofed out. It was probably more upsetting for me having to poke him than him to get poked.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

mistaya posted:

I had to give Sam fluids (just saline to make sure he was hydrated) after his first bout with crystals, he didn't like setting up but he was very calm throughout and very lovey-dovey for pets afterwards. Also he wobbled like a fuzzy football because his shoulders were all poofed out. It was probably more upsetting for me having to poke him than him to get poked.

She definitely becomes an even bigger cuddlemonster than usual right after... Cats!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So has anyone who's had to administer IV fluids to their cat at home found that their cat begs for IV time and is super cooperative? :confused: There aren't any good drugs, it's ringers with potassium.

I would presume that the cat associates being IV-rehydrated with feeling good, because, y'know, getting rehydrated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hello, I previously made a thread about a friend's cat injuring himself severely and closed it once the cat was diagnosed and on the mend, I just want to let anyone who read said thread know the cat is doing fine now.

Hooray for full recoveries!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Happy to report my boy Tiberius is doing better from his mouth thing as well.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Real glad to hear some kitties recovering from injuries and sicknesses. :)

Does anyone know good ways to help an old cat who is starting to go senile? There's no big issue and he's on meds to help slow the progression of it, and he's fine 99% of the time, but sometimes at night Sugi will wander around shouting in what seems to be confusion. He shuts up after a minute or if someone goes and picks him up, and like I say it's not a big deal, but making things easier for him would be nice.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Answer him. How's his vision? I have a less old cat who does this, and only going to him really shuts him up, but talking to him seems to help a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

As far as we know, his vision is fine. We usually do answer and or go pick him up if he persists, it's just when he's doing it at 3am and wakes everyone up (He's half meezie so he's super loud when he wants to be). Still, maybe a nightlight, help him orient himself if his vision is indeed starting to go...