Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

"Mordhau" is also the proper German name for the execution the Warden performs where they grip the longsword by the blade and then chop it down into the enemy like an axe, using the weight of the hilt to provide extra force.

It means "death strike".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

This looks like it could be a fun little game but it also looks like something out of 2008 and the combat looked kind of trashy

If it turns out like Chivalry, it'll basically be almost a different genre than For Honor. If you put FH down as, say, the ArmA of swordswingy games, then Chivalry (and from the looks of it Mordhau as well) would the Unreal Tournament.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 11, 2017

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
You would blunt your sword up trying to murder the other dude in plate armour so you'd use the hilt of your sword to destroy your opponents brain

cams
Mar 28, 2003

last night i hit prestige 3 with my kensei, so i popped open my packs and spent some steel to get some gear. after getting the stats i wanted and upgrading stuff, i ended up around gear score 88

i immediately proceeded to go on like a 10+ game win streak in dominion where i scored like 600+ points a round. multiple times i fought off four people cause i am just getting revenge mode so often. barely anyone playing dominion actually knows how to fight, so if you have gear and skill you will just tear through teams like a wet paper bag.

gear and revenge mode are both dumb as poo poo and should be removed, but now that i have an advantage it is hilarious and i will play the 8 player modes more.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Chivalry was loving awesome but ruined by an exploitable combat system. There was a surprising amount of depth in it due to your characters model being bound to your mouselook. You could do stuff like look up to tilt your head and upper body backwards, dodging an attack that would otherwise have killed you.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
This is an interesting video about some stuff that I didn't know was in the game. The beginning is a tad bit rambly but there are timestamps in the description to get to the meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUJhcQMhZ_M

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
So am I right in thinking that the only thing Raider has going for him is his zone attack? Everything else just gets blocked. Maybe throwing people off of cliffs I guess.

Trying Nobushi out, very fun but I am very bad. Just gotta practice that hidden stance.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

zeldadude posted:

Trying Nobushi out, very fun but I am very bad. Just gotta practice that hidden stance.

The serpent strike or whatever it is catches people off guard fairly often, too. It's the dodge left or right + heavy.

Plus it looks fully sick :c00l:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

The serpent strike or whatever it is catches people off guard fairly often, too. It's the dodge left or right + heavy.

Plus it looks fully sick :c00l:

It's a really good way to get a finishing blow, too. If the enemy is bleeding it does a whole lot of damage for its speed, and as a heavy attack it also gets you an execution.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Perestroika posted:

It's a really good way to get a finishing blow, too. If the enemy is bleeding it does a whole lot of damage for its speed, and as a heavy attack it also gets you an execution.

Another interesting thing about it is unlike most dodge strikes you can trigger it immediately during any part of the movement, which might not seem like a big deal at first but actually makes it quite flexible.

Edit: Also don't forget to tap dodge just after a block or deflect to do an adorable little hustle backwards to get some breathing room when necessary.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 11, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Went to take my orochi out for a spin, maybe get him to rep 1. Got a match with me and 3 other greys against 2 108's (one rep 16) and 2 purples.

*pulls toy string*

THE MATCHMAKING SAYS: "gently caress you, suck my cock"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zaphod42 posted:

Why not have a mode where its "knights v vikings" and you have to play as a character on your faction's team????

The same reason it'd be super bad to limit the characters to sides in general, knights would largely steamroll because they have the best vanguard, best assassin and second best heavy.

zeldadude posted:

So am I right in thinking that the only thing Raider has going for him is his zone attack? Everything else just gets blocked. Maybe throwing people off of cliffs I guess.

You gotta get GBs and then introduce people to your knee or to the cliffside.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 11, 2017

cams
Mar 28, 2003

kensei is the best :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I think you mean raider, I'm fuckin legendary after all :smuggo:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i played so much kensei, then i found out he gets a free guard break off parries, and guard break throw into wall into unblockable overhead is guaranteed

now i just turtle up, parry 3 times, win. kensei is real fun

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

zeldadude posted:

Cancelling heavy attacks with the light attack stun is pretty reliable until you start playing against good people. But yeah, other than that so are you fairly limited outside of guard breaks. Your zone attack is easy to parry as well.

e; you are stupidly strong in 4v4 though, enjoy your dominance.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 11, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

zeldadude posted:

Raider is all about keeping the exact right distance. His reach is pretty drat long and that AOE catches people in group situations and hits all of them really loving hard IF it is in mid-combo. It's pretty easily countered though. He is a mindgames character in a huge way because nothing you do is really guaranteed.

Protip though, "wild swinging", the R2, R2, R2 attack requires you to use side attacks. It's pretty loving fast and isn't stopped by being blocked. But if you start it with an overhead you're just going to stand there.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TwingeCrag posted:

This is an interesting video about some stuff that I didn't know was in the game. The beginning is a tad bit rambly but there are timestamps in the description to get to the meat.

Yo folks watch this because the guardbreak counter alone is insane

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

THE MATCHMAKING SAYS: "gently caress you, suck my cock"

Thread title.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

TwingeCrag posted:

The Iron Rose posted:

Yo folks watch this because the guardbreak counter alone is insane

Wow!
Wow!
Wow!

The GB interrupt into attack is a powerful tool to learn (GB then change attack direction and attack).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I only just found out that left stick randomly picks a character, which rules in 1v1 or 2v2. Unfortunately my game keeps crashing so I'm not getting to play that much.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Yeah, I'm 1 for 10 today actually completing games without crashing. (PC) I'm pretty tolerant with buggy games, but this is getting pretty ridiculous.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Chivalry was loving awesome but ruined by an exploitable combat system.

That's actually specifically one of the things the Mordhau devs are looking to avoid.

It's going to have dedicated servers, too.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Most modes are completely fine for me on PC, except for AI elimination. That mode keeps crashing all the time or I end up joining it right as the game ends :psyduck:

I just play it for orders but man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kainser posted:

Most modes are completely fine for me on PC, except for AI elimination. That mode keeps crashing all the time or I end up joining it right as the game ends :psyduck:

I just play it for orders but man.

Same except for PvP skirmish. Everything else is solid as a rock 24/7 if I wanna play those, but boy does PvP skirmish just drop a load in it's pants constantly. Just let me finish this brain tumor inducing hybrid order ubisoft.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 12, 2017

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ps4 has similar issues whenever there are a ton of players on screen

after hitting prestige 3 and getting gear, i am on a HUGE loving dominion win streak

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just had a prestige 7 warden tell me that he was tired of fighting the most overpowered class in the game (shugoki, who I was playing as).

...this was after I had fought 4 vortex/zone spamming wardens in 1v1 in a row...

The warden telling me this spent most of the 3 matches trying and failing to vortex me because of armor.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Red Mundus posted:

Just had a prestige 7 warden tell me that he was tired of fighting the most overpowered class in the game (shugoki, who I was playing as).

...this was after I had fought 4 vortex/zone spamming wardens in 1v1 in a row...

The warden telling me this spent most of the 3 matches trying and failing to vortex me because of armor.

Keep fighting the good fight. Vortexing wardens are my bane as LB unless I get a ~SICKNASTY~ light parry-> guaranteed overhead unblockable.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Christ I don't play for two days and my ability to play goes completely down the drain. Just filling out some old vs AI elimination orders and I'm loving up counter guardbreaks for the first time since the Open Beta.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Red Mundus posted:

I'm sure you know this but really it bears repeating - prestige rank does not relate directly to skill. I mean if anything they could have played a majority of their time in dominion where lazy vortexing will kill 90% of people. This is really a game where unless someone whoops your butt you will never learn to get better. If you play warden and you can just lazy 50/50 vortex your way to most victories, and if you do it every time and win you will feel like you are king poo poo. Depending on how long you got away with poo poo stacking vortex you may or may not decide you need to actually adapt your play if you lose (vs claiming the other class is bullshit).

By prestiege 7 I image he had a lot of time to poo poo stack his vortex pretty high and was unable to accept in his idiot mind that he might need to mix it up. In warden's case mixing it up actually means still using vortex but instead vary your charge up time, cancel shoulder bash into neutral (instead of into GB), and start doing dashes into shouldbash with cancels or sometimes with attacks.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 12, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Fact: Domination, Elimination, and Skirmish are the most terrible game modes in For Honor. Both in terms of connectivity issues and actual gameplay.

Cut them out and just have Duel and Brawl.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
4v4's are the only modes I play

honorabu duelu is boring

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Christ I don't play for two days and my ability to play goes completely down the drain. Just filling out some old vs AI elimination orders and I'm loving up counter guardbreaks for the first time since the Open Beta.

I can't counter gb unless i'm ready for it, my thumb literally wil not move fast enough from the stick to the button

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I've been trying to keep my fingers off the thumbstick and use it like a button when I need to. Hard to do because every other game trains you to keep your thumb on it but i don't think it is super necessary in this game

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Also wtf is up with when i counter gb successfully but still get launched backwards off a cliff? how is that fair

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Dumb opinion time: I feel like warlord and conq need to be disabled from the game until rebalanced. They are absolutely demolishing both low level and high level play and each day it gets worse and worse.

I'd include warden but so far most people have no idea how to properly open up into a vortex so so far so good.

Dumber opinion time: make shugoki the only character.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man you kidding? I love fighting conquerers - I haven't lost to one in ages.

As for the cgb thing I got better after a few matches, but yeesh. It's much easier on PC than controller though I imagine.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Conqs that just spam bash, sure I love them too but a little skill and they are almost completely untouchable.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=FNLhUL9ItM0
This video highlights a lot of issues with conq. drat near nothing of his can be punished. Tru's really good with a pk and can barely keep up.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

Conqs that just spam bash, sure I love them too but a little skill and they are almost completely untouchable.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=FNLhUL9ItM0
This video highlights a lot of issues with conq. drat near nothing of his can be punished. Tru's really good with a pk and can barely keep up.

Im about 10 minutes in and both Tru and that conq are utter garbage. Tru also just keeps spouting uninformed opinions and other garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Anything particular stick out?