Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Woden posted:

Miller was bad and I'm glad he's dead.

Ban this sick filth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The scene still started with Miller saying "Being able to breath is nice isn't it?" then took the dude's air away, the same thing he forced others to go through. The only other line he had was "Clean the drat filters." I think the guy was just babbling and saying whatever to stay alive, and Miller never acknowledge his offers. If all Miller wanted was an increased bribe, than the entire previous scene was pointless.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Even if he wasn't just holding out for a bigger bribe, he was still accepting them in the first place before everything broke. Since he's not a child or an Earther, he knows exactly how hosed up and serious accepting a bribe like that is. He did it anyway. He caused those children to suffer. It was really lovely. A low point for a character who had a great arc.

The larger point is still valid, people don't get as up in arms about flawed characters who are men. Any individual case is a matter of preference. In aggregate it's something of a trend.

In bizarre frothing vehemence, that one guy making GBS threads up this thread stands out as having seriously messed up issues with women.

I mean, I don't like generic marines. I don't agree or sympathize with Bobbie's worldview. At times I was wishing Bobbie scenes would end sooner. I still respect that she's a pretty fair representation of a traumatized person.

I hope that folks in this topic understand that that one guy has issues and we don't need to mimic his intensity as we disagree about this kind of stuff.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

WTF are you talking about with Miller? He went home and looked around at the various belter kids around him, felt guilty about the air filters, went and found the guy and drug him into an airlock to asphyxiate him for a few seconds, and told him to clean the drat filters from now on. There was no mention of tripling a bribe. Why would he say "Breathing air is nice huh?" and then suck out all the dudes air and wait for several seconds if his plan was to just space him?

Do you think Bobbies little chant about how she wants to physically destroy the earth was just made up in response to recent events, or was it more of a common thing for martian marines to say? Most of the Bobbie hate came from before Ganymede, but I think the worst thing she's done so far is, when she clearly can't remember what happened, she immediately defaults to 'earthers musta done it, WAR TIEM'.

Since smugass book readers can't shut the gently caress up, it's obvious by now that Bobbie will have some kind of redemption arc and become a better character, and that's great to look forward to I guess. For now however, she's an angry warmongering jerk. Not literally hitler, but she doesn't come close to the charisma or likability Miller had.

Yeah, comparing Bobbie to Miller is absolutely idiotic.

Miller definitely had issues. Asphyxiating that one guy in the airlock to teach him a lesson, executing the lead proto molecule scientist by shooting him in the head even though he was unarmed, had surrendered and was willing to fully cooperate, obsessively hunting down a girl he had never met long after he was taken off the mission (and then fired)... all of these behaviors painted a character with deep flaws.

But he was driven by a strong sense of morality and always tried to do the right thing, even when it put him at odds with people on his team. His character arc was very remarkable in the sense that, over the course of a season and a half, he went from being a totally selfish and cynical dick to making the ultimate sacrifice and saving literally billions of lives. He went from being an anti-hero to a hero.

Bobbie however doesn't have nearly the well-roundedness or character depth that Miller had around this time in Season 1. She is a stereotypical testosterone-driven soldier who gets into heated arguments with her superiors over not being allowed to retaliate against the UN, even though she knows (or must know, if she isn't totally hare-brained) that an all-out war would result in billions of people on both sides dying. I get that she's supposed to be one of the good guys, but at this point she's much closer to a one-dimensional, warmongering villain. We'll see where her arc goes from here and I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. So far though it's difficult to not sympathize with those who dislike her.

Eiba posted:

I mean, I don't like generic marines. I don't agree or sympathize with Bobbie's worldview. At times I was wishing Bobbie scenes would end sooner. I still respect that she's a pretty fair representation of a traumatized person.

Uh, she became traumatized literally in this most recent episode. We had six episodes before that, in which she was quite mentally healthy. So let's not try to argue that her hosed up attitudes and worldviews are a result of trauma. If anything, it will probably be this very trauma that knocks some sense into her, since she realized that the UN soldiers were in fact not charging them, and there was something hosed up going on.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 12, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Guys, it's deeply problematic that an enlisted marine gunnery sergeant talks big talk about wanting to fight the enemy she has trained to fight and who has ambushed her world's ships and moons. Furthermore, I am appalled that this enlisted marine's belligerent talk fails to fully capture the strategic and moral calculus of interplanetary war.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man a whole lot of you clearly don't know anyone in the military.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A whole lot seem to be loving oblivious, given all the jingoistic poo poo that goes on in the US (most of you are from there).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I hope she hits that Zen, "I am all out of shits to give, just plumb the gently caress out," headspace.

rear end in a top hat monsters crawling out of asteroids. rear end in a top hat bureaucrats doing their politicking. All her friends are dead and she's having nightmares.

My dad had stories about a colleague who had a real bad time in Vietnam. The guy eventually hit a breaking point where he decided that if he got out of it alive, he wasn't gonna give a poo poo about anything for the rest of his life. And for the rest of his life, he never did.

Kind of like if The Dude was a bit of an rear end in a top hat. On TV, it'd be hilarious.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So that dude became Amos then?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Uh, she became traumatized literally in this most recent episode. We had six episodes before that, in which she was quite mentally healthy. So let's not try to argue that her hosed up attitudes and worldviews are a result of trauma. If anything, it will probably be this very trauma that knocks some sense into her, since she realized that the UN soldiers were in fact not charging them, and there was something hosed up going on.
I wasn't implying her worldview was the result of trauma. I was saying her worldview was, and is, something I'm not on board with, but I can still see what's going on with her this episode. My goal was to contrast with that guy who thought (quite insanely) that she was being waifu bait or something.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Accretionist posted:

I hope she hits that Zen, "I am all out of shits to give, just plumb the gently caress out," headspace.

Bobby is going to Earth to give BS testimony at a peace conference. I wonder who we know on Earth who might attend a peace conference, is totally zen, and famously falls for transparent BS.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Xerxes17 posted:

So that dude became Amos then?

Not that bad. Amos seems like a case of depersonalization.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

Most of the hate I see isn't even gender related. It's either she's too much of a war hawk (oh no! a character who isn't rationally correct about everything!)

Or that while completely traumatised and probably eating through a tube she blamed Earth marines for the death of her squad and couldn't recall what had actually happened (totally irrational! if I was her i would just have publicised the truth then united the belt then assassinated Mao and invented FTL travel)

Oh and replicators. We're going to need those for our post scarcity economy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Miller also had that amazing haircut and a space fedora

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The only way show Bobbie gets redeemed is if she indeed becomes the next Julie Mao protomolecule mesiah

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 12, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The only way show Bobbie gets redeemed is if she indeed becomes the next Julie Mao protomolecule mesiah

*Crashes Asteroid into New Zealand killing millions of hobbits*

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, comparing Bobbie to Miller is absolutely idiotic.

Miller definitely had issues. Asphyxiating that one guy in the airlock to teach him a lesson, executing the lead proto molecule scientist by shooting him in the head even though he was unarmed, had surrendered and was willing to fully cooperate, obsessively hunting down a girl he had never met long after he was taken off the mission (and then fired)... all of these behaviors painted a character with deep flaws.

But he was driven by a strong sense of morality and always tried to do the right thing, even when it put him at odds with people on his team.

"Miller..." croaked Julie, "... you... you're a True Detective..."

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Bobbie has some nice tits, hoping she puts them to work in the next few episodes since she won't need to be in a vacuum suit.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Woden posted:

lol at your reaction to the upcoming plot lines then!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Snowman Crossing posted:

Bobbie has some nice tits, hoping she puts them to work in the next few episodes since she won't need to be in a vacuum suit.

In the books the UN Secretary General motorboats them.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Oh wow 100 new posts! I bet there's lots of good speculation by other non-book rea-...

Oh. It's just goons melting down over how much they hate soldiers.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Oh, on an unrelated note, thanks to whoever it was that mentioned Blindsight. I'm about 1/3 of the way in and the book is p rad.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Woden posted:

In the books Holden and Miller switched places on Eros when they got irradiated, "Holden" tears off his rubber mask on Ganymede to reveal he was Miller all along. Naomi realizes why her attraction suddenly blossomed after years around that doofus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the books, Miller was really a cat.

He put all his points in disguise and was able to successfully pass as a human for years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

In the books, Miller was really a cat.

He put all his points in disguise and was able to successfully pass as a human for years.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Number Ten Cocks posted:

In the books the UN Secretary General motorboats them.

I've come to find, Miss Draper, that rank has its privileges. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
When Holden and Naomi are in the airlock in episode 1 he makes small talk and asks if she likes those "Space Gladiator movies."

:shepspends:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In the book Eros was actually a snowglobe and Miller was an autistic cat watching it the whole time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just caught up, did anyone else who watched it on Syfy have a weird audio sync issue for the last 5 minutes or so?

Anyway, not a fan of Bobbie having to recover her memories, it feels like they're making the plot more complicated than it needs to be [also recovered memories aren't really an actual thing].

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

qirex posted:

I just caught up, did anyone else who watched it on Syfy have a weird audio sync issue for the last 5 minutes or so?

Anyway, not a fan of Bobbie having to recover her memories, it feels like they're making the plot more complicated than it needs to be [also recovered memories aren't really an actual thing].

Yeah, memories are highly fallible at the best of times.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah, memories are highly fallible at the best of times.

It's also just such a lazy TV cliche. Plus I wanted to see [idk if this counts as a spoiler but I don't want to get in trouble] the protomolecule creature sprout a third arm and explode but maybe the drone footage will show it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just want to weigh in on Bobbie chat because it's so interesting and everyone needs to be heard of this important issue.

She isn't a bad character because her in-universe morality is lovely or dumb or hitler. Dawes is horrible and I hate him, but he's a well acted and written character who is interesting and enjoyable. Draper has been kinda bad not due to any of the character's moral failings, but because so far she's been pretty one dimensional and had way too many episodes of her doing absolutely nothing related to the plot other than establishing that she's an extremely well known military grunt trope we've seen a million times and a single 5 min introductory scene would have communicated easily.

You know who else isn't that interesting at times? Holden. He always does the right thing, he's such a perfect neutral good main player character but can be really wooden and boring at times. But at least Holden has a bunch of interesting, flawed, conflicted, damaged characters to play off and force him into difficult choices. Bobbie has been on her own surrounded by annoying one dimensional military types. She's finally becoming a bit more interesting but it's been a long and boring time coming.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm ok with Holden the character, but that actor is easily the weakest link in the chain when it comes to talent. It would be a bigger issue if the rest of the cast wasn't picking up more than their fair share of the slack.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Just want to weigh in on Bobbie chat because it's so interesting and everyone needs to be heard of this important issue.

She isn't a bad character because her in-universe morality is lovely or dumb or hitler. Dawes is horrible and I hate him, but he's a well acted and written character who is interesting and enjoyable. Draper has been kinda bad not due to any of the character's moral failings, but because so far she's been pretty one dimensional and had way too many episodes of her doing absolutely nothing related to the plot other than establishing that she's an extremely well known military grunt trope we've seen a million times and a single 5 min introductory scene would have communicated easily.

You know who else isn't that interesting at times? Holden. He always does the right thing, he's such a perfect neutral good main player character but can be really wooden and boring at times. But at least Holden has a bunch of interesting, flawed, conflicted, damaged characters to play off and force him into difficult choices. Bobbie has been on her own surrounded by annoying one dimensional military types. She's finally becoming a bit more interesting but it's been a long and boring time coming.

:agreed: about Bobbie.

Not sure I agree about Holden. You say he always does the right thing, but he was about to execute the remaining proto scientist just like Miller executed the lead scientist. And he gave Miller a really hard time about doing that, so he knows it's a lovely thing to do. But he was going to do it anyway, and would have if Dawes had not gotten to the guy first.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Executing Dresden was the right thing to do.

I don’t know what Holden’s motives were for executing Cortazar, but “prevent him from finding more Protomolecule®” is a plenty good reason.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
you're actually all wrong about bobbie because she's a Broke Brain Valkyrie Hitler, sorry

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Executing Dresden was the right thing to do.

I don’t know what Holden’s motives were for executing Cortazar, but “prevent him from finding more Protomolecule®” is a plenty good reason.

The claim was that Holden always does the right thing. This implies that he should also be quite OK with other people who do the right thing. If executing Dresden was the right thing, why did Holden give Miller so much crap about it, kick him off the ship and excommunicate him?

My point about Cortazar is that wanting to execute him was very uncharacteristic of Holden. He is the guy who is all about peace and friendship. He has gone on several tirades so far about how everyone should be on the same side. But he apparently has no issues unilaterally executing a dude... but wait, he does, because he didn't like it when Miller did it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

you're actually all wrong about bobbie because she's a Broke Brain Valkyrie Hitler, sorry

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Expanse, Season 2: Broke Brain Valkyrie Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

enraged_camel posted:

The claim was that Holden always does the right thing. This implies that he should also be quite OK with other people who do the right thing. If executing Dresden was the right thing, why did Holden give Miller so much crap about it, kick him off the ship and excommunicate him?

I’m on team “Holden is a dangerous naïf”.

Naomi should’ve gunned for Cortazar to cover her treachery.

• Locked thread