Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well Nier has provided empirical evidence it has robot butts and ME:A has yet to come to the party on that front.

Hence the cynicism really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
The worst thing that could happen to ME:A (albeit not Bioware's fault) is being nestled between 2 huge and incredible good games (Zelda and Nier) in a year where every triple A game delivered more than expected up to this point.

I have no doubt it will be a fun game, but maybe people will judge a bit too harshly

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And the Nintendo Switch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also a new Fire Emblem game on the 3DS and some Dark Souls 3 DLC.

I guess the real threat is that all the other modern AAA games look more modern.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 12, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i am going to try this game out in ea access and buy it if i enjoy it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
lol

Nier looks like dogshit

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I worry that ME4 might see harsh competition from [obscure niche asian game]

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Zzulu posted:

lol

Nier looks like dogshit

oh that game that's going to have a higher metacritic score and universal praise?

yeah it's poo poo compared to boy midget and his mashed potato alien sex slave.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

oh that game that's going to have a higher metacritic score and universal praise?

yeah it's poo poo compared to boy midget and his mashed potato alien sex slave.
The original nier also got praise but no one ever loving talks about it because it was forgettable trash also :)

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Much like your posting!!!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
too far :(

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
boy i sure wish i could sit down and really get to know token, ladygarrus, hitler youth, mashed potato, notwrex and game of thrones, really get to know their personalities, and how they think, and m̱̮̳̲ov҉͓e̹̭͎͖̝͙͇

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

boy i sure wish i could sit down and really get to know token, ladygarrus, hitler youth, mashed potato, notwrex and game of thrones, really get to know their personalities, and how they think, and m̱̮̳̲ov҉͓e̹̭͎͖̝͙͇

You don't have to. All you have to do is see their eyes.

Their dead, evil eyes.

They're the undead, Barons, you know what to do.

Edit: vvvv

Andromeda is the anti-life galaxy. All who enter become zombies.

Mass Effect Zombies. We've reached the series apex.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 12, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The eyes are painted on and unanimated because they have no souls.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I can't wait to play this dumpster fire of a game.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
We're about a week from release. By now we've seen the promotional material, the hands-on impressions, the gameplay, the story, the package all laid out. Short of any massive surprises in the next nine days, it's safe to say that no one's opinion of the game will change very much prior to release.

What I'm basically saying is: It is time.

:liara:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Lol what have they done

It looks like they spent a lot of time making character motion and movement more fluid, and then ruined everybody's faces by making them giant babby heads on childlike bodies. They could have made the equivalent of a huge ME3 DLC and I would have preordered in a heartbeat. Instead they gave us Peebee and the insufferable Ryder twins.

Maybe I'll do a renegade playthrough and see how many of my awful squadmates I can get murdered

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Personal_Nirvana posted:

The worst thing that could happen to ME:A (albeit not Bioware's fault) is being nestled between 2 huge and incredible good games (Zelda and Nier) in a year where every triple A game delivered more than expected up to this point.

I have no doubt it will be a fun game, but maybe people will judge a bit too harshly

Also Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Problem with Bioware isn't that they're making bad games, problem is that they're not making as good games as their competition, which is a stark reminder of what they used to be. Their USP of in-depth, compelling, story-driven RPG has been overtaken by more ambitious and effective studios, like CDPR.

Even still, no other game in recent memory has come close to what Bioware is promising with MEA. They've been talking up 'lots of dialogue', 'more lines than previous 2 games put together', 'branching storylines' - all of which have been their strong points in the past. So they made sacrifices when it came to animation - so what? Even CDPR made some sacrifices when making Witcher 3 (there were like, 3 NPC faces total, and Geralt didn't know how to turn corners), but those were quickly brushed aside when compared to the rest of the game.

Is MEA going to be held up as an RPG game changer like Witcher 3 or Deus Ex? Probably not, but I am willing to be pleasantly surprised. Bioware isn't what they used to be, but I don't think they've fallen that far off the mark yet.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 12, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I may joke, but beyond the bugs there is nothing that really bothers me about the game itself so far. Beyond it looking a bit too close in execution to dragon age inquisition. But that may be because I also haven't seen anything that pops out as super interesting either, which was the case with DA. We will see where it ends up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zakmonster posted:

Problem with Bioware isn't that they're making bad games, problem is that they're not making as good games as their competition, which is a stark reminder of what they used to be. Their USP of in-depth, compelling, story-driven RPG has been overtaken by more ambitious and effective studios, like CDPR.

Even still, no other game in recent memory has come close to what Bioware is promising with MEA. They've been talking up 'lots of dialogue', 'more lines than previous 2 games put together', 'branching storylines' - all of which have been their strong points in the past. So they made sacrifices when it came to animation - so what? Even CDPR made some sacrifices when making Witcher 3 (there were like, 3 NPC faces total, and Geralt didn't know how to turn corners), but those were quickly brushed aside when compared to the rest of the game.

Is MEA going to be held up as an RPG game changer like Witcher 3 or Deus Ex? Probably not, but I am willing to be pleasantly surprised. Bioware isn't what they used to be, but I don't think they've fallen that far off the mark yet.

The key point. Everything you said was good but I felt it needed to be bold highlighted.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It looks more like ME1 with the mechanics from ME3, and considering that ME1 is the best game in the series excepting the combat, and ME3 has by far the best combat in the series, I couldn't be more excited.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know we've been ribbing on endlessly about broken limbs, facial animations and backwards guns but we haven't been talking at all about things other modern games have.

Let's start with hair animations (none), fluid simulation (none), destructible or deformable terrain (none), complex real time physics (none), bullet drop off (none) or cutting edge lighting effects (none).

Oh. Ohhhh.

Sorry sometimes I get confused and think it's 2017 instead of 2007.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
literally never heard of nier, so it must be garbage. doubly true because japan.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The only mainstream RPG that has been better than the ME stuff has been Witcher, and only the third installment. What other competition is there

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeza posted:

literally never heard of nier, so it must be garbage. doubly true because japan.

All you need to know is "robot butt" and "japan". I'm sure there are like a million YouTube videos of said robot butt by now so you probably don't need to worry about making a purchase.

Maybe the Bioware team should buy copies to get ideas for the sequel to ME:A. It seems like robot butts are popular looking at the steam preorders.

^ ME:3 wasn't much of an RPG. More of a cover shooter. I guess the competition is therefore Gears of War.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Zakmonster posted:

bioware can talk up 'branching storylines' all they want, but i will forever remember the Rachni Queen

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

bioware can talk up 'branching storylines' all they want, but i will forever remember the Rachni Queen

You know what's funny? Tales from the Borderlands had way more branching story things than Mass Effect and it was from Telltale who are notorious for railroading.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

DancingShade posted:

You know what's funny? Tales from the Borderlands had way more branching story things than Mass Effect and it was from Telltale who are notorious for railroading.

actually i think the 'lol branching storylines' moment that was most memorable to me was the dude who was tortured by Cerberus in ME1 who I talked into getting help instead of shooting himself

then in ME2 he sent me an email saying "So, you work for the people who tortured me. You talked me down for evil reasons, I bet. If I see you, I will kill you."

then he never reappeared

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zakmonster posted:

Even still, no other game in recent memory has come close to what Bioware is promising with MEA. They've been talking up 'lots of dialogue',

So?

Quantity does not mean quality.

quote:

'branching storylines' - all of which have been their strong points in the past.

Bioware is good about making you feel like your choices have meaning and consequences. They are not good at branching storylines, as the Rachni choice makes clear. The one exception to this is Tuchanka, which differs drastically in tone and story depending on who is alive and dead.

What exactly is Bioware promising beyond that? Recent memory? The Witcher 3 won't even be two years old by the time ME:A comes out.

They've become complacent. They're not making bad games, sure - ME:A is going to look nice, have good FX, and probably be fine to play - but they're certainly not advancing, or even seemingly desiring to try and keep up with their competitors. ME1 was a big step forwards. ME2 was one of the best CRPGs released. ME3 improved on the combat further but also demonstrated the importance of making sure your story is well-considered.

ME:A looks boring and generic, and there's absolutely nothing to get excited about beyond it being a Mass Effect game (set in another galaxy, six hundred years removed, missing a ton of stuff from the originals, of course). And what appears to be almost a retread of ME1 at that. It appears to be a game appealing to their own hardcore fans who are already writing fan art and fanfiction and cosplaying these characters, who find injokes and memes to be the height of quality. Like that godawful sibling rivalry video they did.

I just don't see the love in ME:A, but I certainly see the paint-by-numbers approach. Young man/woman must step into the shoes of their hero father to stop the evil The [Title] and liberate the oppressed people.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 12, 2017

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Zzulu posted:

The only mainstream RPG that has been better than the ME stuff has been Witcher, and only the third installment. What other competition is there

Skyrim was better than ME3, behave. Fallout New Vegas too. But yeah broadly speaking there really is gently caress all and it's definitely part of why Bioware has been coasting.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

Skyrim was better than ME3, behave. Fallout New Vegas too. But yeah broadly speaking there really is gently caress all and it's definitely part of why Bioware has been coasting.

it's not really fair to compare anything to fallout: new vegas tho

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

wait wait i take it back the best branching storylines moment was the green asari lady who i spared in ME1 and went to great lengths to not kill a single one of her colonist friends, flirted with in ME2, then sent me an email with war assets in ME3

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

it's not really fair to compare anything to fallout: new vegas tho

Certainly don't compare Fallout 4 to Fallout: New Vegas, it makes the FO4 fans a bit snippy lol

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

wait wait waIT branching storylines i made anderson the council guy in ME1 then he quit at some point so udina could be that guy in Me3 again

DancingShade posted:

Certainly don't compare Fallout 4 to Fallout: New Vegas, it makes the FO4 fans a bit snippy lol

FO4 is a bad Fallout game. It's easily the best Borderlands game, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon: Zero Dawn ended up being a super awesome game with a really involving story that coincidentally was written by the dude who led New Vegas, so if you're into sci-fi and exploration you should def. play it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

seriously andromeda is the fourth goddamn mass effect game and the squad is still

male vaguely-swarthy human
female career-minded human
edgy turian
brainy asari
tough krogan

i guess they swapped out the nerdy quarian for jaal, whom we know nothing about whatsoever

it's not only safe, but it's blatantly aping ME1's party.

if i was inclined to dumb conspiracy theories, it almost feels like there are people on the ME:A team who really don't like certain elements of Mass Effect: quarians, geth, hanar, elcor, batarians, etc.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Which is funny, because the Geth and the Quarians are arguably one of the most important, albeit hamfisted, elements of Mass Effect. Certainly more interesting than anything that wasn't the Genophage.

Absolutely more interesting than any of the human factions, Cerberus, Asari society...

i remember quarian admirals being Admiral Not Hitler, Admiral Hitler, Admiral Gee Whizz I Could Go Either Way

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 12, 2017

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Milky Moor posted:

there's absolutely nothing to get excited about beyond it being a Mass Effect game

I don't think that's true. With all these franchises the goal for execs is obviously that people buy the game based on brand recognition, appreciation for the setting and now for Bioware importing your old saves from previous titles, but for me personally Bioware have kind of mucked that up.

After the last two games "Dragon Age" now puts me off. I don't give a poo poo about Thedas and it's lore anymore, the character writing style isn't for me and the series has lacklustre gameplay at best. If the trailers for the next game were for a new fantasy world instead of Dragon Age in Thedas I'd be more interested in the title.

"Mass Effect" I'm ambivalent about after ME3. The name isn't a draw but it isn't off-putting like Dragon Age is. If this was just "Andromeda" my hype levels would be unchanged. Although admittedly the talk of DA:I in space makes it sound a bit poo poo.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

So?

Quantity does not mean quality.

Sorry, I didn't manage to get my point across well. What I'm trying to say is that most of the things that Bioware has been hyping up involves things they've traditionally been strong at, namely dialogue and writing. They haven't made hyperbolic statements like they did with DA2. Whether it turns out to be good remains to be seen, but I certainly did enjoy the writing and delivery in Liam's loyalty mission. Assuming they maintain that standard, I will be satisfied.

Milky Moor posted:

Bioware is good about making you feel like your choices have meaning and consequences. They are not good at branching storylines, as the Rachni choice makes clear. The one exception to this is Tuchanka, which differs drastically in tone and story depending on who is alive and dead.

What exactly is Bioware promising beyond that? Recent memory? The Witcher 3 won't even be two years old by the time ME:A comes out.

They've become complacent. They're not making bad games, sure - ME:A is going to look nice, have good FX, and probably be fine to play - but they're certainly not advancing, or even seemingly desiring to try and keep up with their competitors. ME1 was a big step forwards. ME2 was one of the best CRPGs released. ME3 improved on the combat further but also demonstrated the importance of making sure your story is well-considered.

ME:A looks boring and generic, and there's absolutely nothing to get excited about beyond it being a Mass Effect game (set in another galaxy, six hundred years removed, missing a ton of stuff from the originals, of course). And what appears to be almost a retread of ME1 at that. It appears to be a game appealing to their own hardcore fans who are already writing fan art and fanfiction and cosplaying these characters, who find injokes and memes to be the height of quality. Like that godawful sibling rivalry video they did.

I just don't see the love in ME:A, but I certainly see the paint-by-numbers approach. Young man/woman must step into the shoes of their hero father to stop the evil The [Title] and liberate the oppressed people.

Witcher 3 caught a lot of people by surprise - everyone knew it was going to be good, but no one realised it was going to be that good. And by the time Witcher 3 came out and became the new standard for RPGs to meet, Bioware was probably too deep into the development of MEA to change certain things, or their internal manpower issues was making certain things impossible.

So yeah, if MEA turns out to be a dud, they have no one to blame but themselves, for not trying to push boundaries and become better. And you might find the heroic journey story to be boring, but I, and plenty of other people, enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

Which is funny, because the Geth and the Quarians are arguably one of the most important, albeit hamfisted, elements of Mass Effect. Certainly more interesting than anything that wasn't the Genophage.

Absolutely more interesting than any of the human factions, Cerberus, Asari society...

Mac Walters, of course, is the Creative Director of ME:A and a big fan of TIM and Aria and Cerberus...