Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Sagebrush posted:

imo they should just make it illegal to sell food products with certain coloring (neon blue, green and pink would be a good start) and then use those colors deliberately for poisonous liquids.

I think you're underestimating people's thought processes that lead them to try to win darwin awards here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

The Times reviewed government documents dating back two decades and interviewed dozens of government officials, former military officers and arms control advocates to examine the agency. The picture that emerges is an organization hampered by an insular management, a crisis of morale among the rank-and-file and outdated equipment.

Among the findings of the Times investigation:

The agency is 48 agents short of its planned staffing of 370, a result of budget cuts. Weapons and tactics classes were canceled in 2011 and 2012 for lack of money.
More than a third of the workforce has been putting in more than 900 hours a year of overtime, which former couriers and Energy Department officials say has contributed to a breakdown in morale and rapid turnover.
In 2010, an inquiry by the Energy Department’s inspector general inquiry found widespread alcohol problems. It cited 16 alcohol-related incidents over a three-year period, including an agent on a 2007 mission who was arrested for public intoxication and two agents on a 2009 mission who were handcuffed and detained by police after a fight at a bar.
In 2014, the commander of the agency’s operation at the Y12 National Security Complex in Tennessee threatened to kill an employee in an altercation, but no disciplinary action was taken.
The agency’s top executive in 2009 was charged with drunk driving after police found him parked on a sidewalk with an open bottle of beer and a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.15%, nearly twice the legal limit, according to New Mexico court records.
The agency’s truck fleet is antiquated by commercial standards and well past its operational life even under the department’s own guidelines. About half the tractors are more than 15 years old. The high-security trailers used by the agency are even older, designed before the current era of terrorist threats.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-nuclear-couriers-20170310-story.html

That's all DoE stuff. And yes, they are short funded.

The convoy pictured is Air Force, though.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Definitely A for effort there.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

Which means that instead of being short-funded and undermanned, everybody is cheating on their qualification exams. :v:

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Humerus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhs5L09vqek

I feel like they tried to address all the safety stuff but it just seems like such a terrible idea.

Well why even put out the money for what appears to at least be well built when you can build your own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcmeBr2TAus&t=524s

edit: cut to the juicy part.

A large farva fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 11, 2017

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

insta posted:

The mill puts out as much power as it needs to, and is built large because it's cheaper to assemble and inertia is nice for a mill to have. The mill is also potentially expected to put out 7.5hp continuously, and that rating is likely its continuous-duty rating instead of a peak rating.

The Zero SR will do 67hp, but for how long? There's an inherent limiter in the battery pack itself for how long it can put out 67hp. If you had it on some unlimited supply, the motor would likely cook itself before too terribly long.

Also neodymium magnets are pretty baller.

Yea, we had a site with a 200HP AC motor; looking up something similar for a 100HP looks like this: http://www.industrialmotors.com/e32...Xq6EaAiST8P8HAQ

It's a 100 HP constant motor that weighs 1750 pounds.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SharkTattoos posted:

Well why even put out the money for what appears to at least be well built when you can build your own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcmeBr2TAus

haha

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Olothreutes posted:

God'll keep anything bad from happening then.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

At first I thought this pic was like "Don't mess with the babushka mafia". But then I saw the tape measure. WTF?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Measure twice, cut onAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh*thud*

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sorry to ruin it but the picture is rotated.

dude's got some serious fore-arm strength though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift posted:

drat impressive Russian engineering.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

SharkTattoos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcmeBr2TAus

9:26 the first appearance of PPE of any kind whatsoever.

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
I'm currently operating a new machine at work, it's a manual cutter for plastic tubes consisting of a transformer energizing a blade to heat it red hot to cut the tubes. It seems like a potentially dangerous device, though I've managed to remain injury free so far.

I stuck my ruler a across the posts holding the blade in place and it began sparking and spot welding the ruler onto the posts so I assume that's an electrocution hazard as well as a burning one. The transformer powering it says 1KV on there.

No guards or any type of safety device in sight on this thing. I think it's pretty sweet honestly but I can definitely picture someone hurting themselves on it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's gonna be low voltage high current, you can tell by the thickness of the wires going to the heating element.

Are you sure the transformer doesn't say KVA instead of just KV

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
I can't really recall, I'll have to take a look on Monday when I go to use the machine.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
jesus loving christ :stare:

When you say "new" do you mean "the boss built it in his garage" ?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

TTerrible posted:

jesus loving christ :stare:

When you say "new" do you mean "the boss built it in his garage" ?

I think he works in his neighbors shed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Red hot blade vs OSHA experiment.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
We had a much smaller one of those at a job to cut nylon webbing without it fraying. Only downside of it was the fumes it put out which where vented but out into a space with a roof over it. The fumes if you where doing a big run weren't terrific tbh. We had other nylon we cut with a hand held cutter and those fumes where fully poo poo even with a filtered mask on. It was a good company to work for in terms of what they where trying to produce though which was mainly backpacks and other bags for the emergency services in Australia. Nothing like being asked to design a bag that had to fit a certain amount of kit into it but also had to fit into a defined space inside the aircraft.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Sagebrush posted:

imo they should just make it illegal to sell food products with certain coloring (neon blue, green and pink would be a good start) and then use those colors deliberately for poisonous liquids.

You want to ban limes. And celery.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

he'll get my beetroots when he pulls them from my stained, dead hands

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:lol: what is this joker even measuring? "hmm, this one-meter section of board is one meter. yes"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sagebrush posted:

You want to ban snowcones, freeze pops, and summer time :argh:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

:lol: what is this joker even measuring? "hmm, this one-meter section of board is one meter. yes"

Forearm strength?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keiya posted:

You want to ban limes. And celery.

I don't know what limes and celery you're buying but mine are definitely not this color

blugu64 posted:

You want to ban snowcones, freeze pops, and summer time :argh:

No reason you can't make snowcones or freeze pops with slightly more natural colors. Just leave the insane day-glo neons for toxic chemicals. The only natural things I can think of that are those colors are some birds and sea creatures.

Also I would definitely ban freeze pops for another reason entirely

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Disclaimer: this guy probably died, but that's a good thing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powershift posted:

Dude musta been trying to kill himself because otherwise :psypop:

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Powershift posted:

Why are there giant open holes in the street in China

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jesus Christ posted:

As the China thread often says: no why

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I see Google still needs to fine-tune their driverless scooters.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Powershift posted:

ok im a retard idiot, can you explain to me how that photo is rotated because if this is supposed to be how its supposed to look it doesnt makes ense to me? why are the bells now upsidedown. please help a brain damaged person understand this osha

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

spankmeister posted:

That's gonna be low voltage high current, you can tell by the thickness of the wires going to the heating element.

Are you sure the transformer doesn't say KVA instead of just KV

Yeah I can pretty much assure you it's 1KVA and not 1KVac. It looks like the transformer primary are the small leads on the right side, secondary are the larger leads on the left. Insulation is pretty gonzo on the secondary if I am looking at this right it almost looks like the high (medium) voltage Raychem heat shrink tubing for covering splices.

If someone just threw that together you may want to at the very least put a fuse on the primary side of the transformer if it's powered single phase line-neutral. (Fuse the hot wire, fuse both if its 240V Edison or 208V or some other line-to-line supply.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 12, 2017

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ramadu posted:

ok im a retard idiot, can you explain to me how that photo is rotated because if this is supposed to be how its supposed to look it doesnt makes ense to me? why are the bells now upsidedown. please help a brain damaged person understand this osha

it's an injoke :ssh:

btw. I recognize that bell tower, it's Kizhi, an UNESCO world heritage site built purely out of wood, including wooden nails

it's a miracle that it hasn't burned down in 300 years, including WW2 when it was at the frontline

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nenonen posted:

btw. I recognize that bell tower, it's Kizhi, an UNESCO world heritage site built purely out of wood, including wooden nails

it's a miracle that it hasn't burned down in 300 years, including WW2 when it was at the frontline

I hope they retrofitted some kind of fire protection system in there like sprinklers or something. If that's even possible.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's not heated, only used in summer, so pipes would freeze and break during winter, not to mention that the church is on a desolate island so there's no infrastructure to provide pressurized water for sprinklers, anyway the only likely causes of fire would be candles, incense and lightning, and as it is well known, God protects his own :angel:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Nenonen posted:

I went there like 10 years ago when they were restoring parts of it. Most of the outer walls had rot due to the siding they put in decades ago. One of the churches was full of girders and poo poo they used to raise it a logs height at a time.

Getting there was fun in a boat like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jesus Christ posted:

Where else would you put the holes?