Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Loveline posted:

Whats a good strategy for destroying AI doomstacks when everyone is running Matter Disintegrators? Even the unbidden were less annoying to fight because these are multiple empires in a coalition who have a mix of shield and armor. I've tried everything but all cruiser/battleship strats and just get wrecked because they have a 50k advantage and my allies gently caress off as soon as things go south.

Exactly a longrange battleship engagement strat would likely work best, because matter disintegrators have somewhat limited range that can't compete with a combo of kinetic batteries + tachyon beams. Always engage at range and outfit all your ships that can carry large or XL weapons with that, with a few small weapons for any corvettes that make it across the gap. A pinch of Point Defense if any use fighters/bombers too, obv.

Either way, whatever you go for try to keep it at long ranges and disengage if you have to repeatedly. Because at close ranges, matter disintegrators are pretty much the bees knees. Also eschew all armor, and just go all out on shields - it's likely not gonna do much against that 50% armor ignore disintegrators have anyway.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wouldn't focused arc emitters be better, given that they ignore shields and armour, and begin doing damage immediately?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
they do damage between 1-221 or somesuch. I've never been comfortable rolling that random a dice myself with the current fleet battle mechanics, but...feel free to try.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You'll roll enough dice during a battle that I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe if you have only a couple battleships in your fleet, but then it shouldn't matter that much what you put on them. However focused arc emitters have less than half the raw dps of tachyon lances, so against low-evasion targets they'd only be better if the enemy ships have almost as much shields as hp... and that's assuming all of your other weapons have 100% shield penetration too. If not, you'll probably chew through those shields anyway, so the arc emitters' shield penetration won't be actually useful. The 100% accuracy and tracking is great against corvettes, of course, but you'd probably be better off just building more destroyers and putting other XL weapons on your battleships. e: Also you risk badly overkilling the corvettes. Maybe an arc emitter/torpedo fleet composition could work if torpedoes/missiles weren't trash.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 12, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Focused arc emitters are really good against fleets of smaller ships, because they have 100% accuracy or some poo poo like that, and a couple ships hitting for 1 is less painful than all of your battleships missing in that situation. Plus, bypassing all shields on hulls that don't have much hit points is very nice too. e;fb

Once enemies start throwing mostly cruisers and battleships at you, they're kinda crap though. Far lower dps than the other XLs.

But yeah, make your own doomstack, fit it exclusively with long range guns, retreat as soon as you start taking too much damage, repeat until enemy doomstacks disappear.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Are there any mods that concentrate sector shipbuilding at the sector capital planet?
It's an absolute faff to go around ordering a dozen worlds to build ships, and it seems like it'd be a sensible streamlining to just have a sector capital have construction speed for a ship class = base speed * (number of starports of high enough level to build that class in the sector). I guess it'd be a little unbalanced as it wouldn't be *quite* the same- a vanilla 10-planet sector building in parallel would produce 10 battleships after 10 months, whilst a concentrated sector would produce 1 per month for 10 months. Still, I think the balance changes would be massively outweighed by the convenience.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Talkie Toaster posted:

Are there any mods that concentrate sector shipbuilding at the sector capital planet?
It's an absolute faff to go around ordering a dozen worlds to build ships, and it seems like it'd be a sensible streamlining to just have a sector capital have construction speed for a ship class = base speed * (number of starports of high enough level to build that class in the sector). I guess it'd be a little unbalanced as it wouldn't be *quite* the same- a vanilla 10-planet sector building in parallel would produce 10 battleships after 10 months, whilst a concentrated sector would produce 1 per month for 10 months. Still, I think the balance changes would be massively outweighed by the convenience.

I'd rather just have a global shipyard menu that auto-assigns construction to the nearest available starport.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Clarste posted:

I'd rather just have a global shipyard menu that auto-assigns construction to the nearest available starport.
I'd like to be able to set each fleet to have a specific ship makeup and have shipyards automagically start building things whenever one is missing things.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Both those things would be pretty rad. It'd also be a good way to introduce an optimal fleet size for admirals or something like that, since those building tools would greatly diminish the micromanagement burden.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
EUIV's army/navy templates would be grand. I think Wiz said something like that would be on the way eventually.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is there any way to get the game to give you a more detailed breakdown about what's going on with energy income? Trying to have a big fleet means while the ships are in orbit I'm at +100 energy per month(?) and when I try to use the ships I'm down to -500. I figure I'll start dedicating more stuff to energy production but now I've done this my energy is suddenly down to -150 per month while in orbit. The only breakdowns I can find are pretty useless and they give no historical data, just a current snapshot which might as well say "poo poo is expensive". I can't tell if my income has gone down or my expenses have gone up or what the change might have been.

I'm pretty much funding my wars by throwing minerals at traders every 6 months to max out my energy reserves but it's such a mess.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I tend to go pretty exclusively energy production on my core planets after I've got a buncha poo poo in sectors. That seems to do the trick for me. The stuff in your sectors will provide all the minerals you need.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Happiness is often the factor underlying seemingly random changes to production, especially in sectors. Might be worth checking if one of your governors has popped their clogs, or if you've had some ethics divergence issues. Hopefully this will be more transparent in 1.5.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Aethernet posted:

Happiness is often the factor underlying seemingly random changes to production, especially in sectors. Might be worth checking if one of your governors has popped their clogs, or if you've had some ethics divergence issues. Hopefully this will be more transparent in 1.5.

Also factions going on strike in a sector, and sometimes just migration to a newly colonized planet.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful

ulmont posted:

Also factions going on strike in a sector, and sometimes just migration to a newly colonized planet.

This is probably one of the big causes, i always expect a bit of an energy deficit when i start a round of colonisation but it always seems to throw things off balance for way longer than I expect.

Really looking forward to what changes them to be making in the expansion.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

ulmont posted:

I have to say the one thing I really want changed is the ridiculousness of a newly colonized planet being the target of migrating pops from say, eight or so planets, and driving it into a starvation spiral before you can physically build the farms you need to stop it. 100% habitability or not, there needs to be some kind of common-sense trigger here that prevents migration to new planets for a few months or a year after colonization; or maybe some kind of limit on how many pops can migrate at once?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Global food might fix that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Global food might fix that.

The other problem would be unemployment, but I'm not sure if pops will actually leave a job on one planet to be unemployed on another one? It would seem pretty silly and I've never noticed it, but it's a bit hard to tell given that unimproved tiles with a resource count as employment, so newly colonised worlds have lots of potential locations for pops to migrate to.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Chalks posted:

The other problem would be unemployment, but I'm not sure if pops will actually leave a job on one planet to be unemployed on another one?

I am pretty sure that they totally will. One good non-Alphamod mod from the guy who made Alphamod is "Shantytown," it causes unemployed pops to build lovely buildings on whatever building-less tile they're on if you do nothing. So eventually unemployed pops sort themselves out, but you kinda don't want the lovely buildings around because they lower planetary happiness slightly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

I am pretty sure that they totally will. One good non-Alphamod mod from the guy who made Alphamod is "Shantytown," it causes unemployed pops to build lovely buildings on whatever building-less tile they're on if you do nothing. So eventually unemployed pops sort themselves out, but you kinda don't want the lovely buildings around because they lower planetary happiness slightly.

When I was reading that I thought you were going to say they build the shanty town tile blockers if you ignore them which would be actually kinda cool from a thematic perspective (although annoying as gently caress)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The slum tile blocker is conceptually pretty annoying and dumb to me.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Replace it with a building that suppresses all resource gains on the tile.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

The slum tile blocker is conceptually pretty annoying and dumb to me.

I kinda like it - it's a bit ham fisted but I think the idea of spending resources to regenerate areas into something more productive could have a place in the game. The rest of the game rather leans towards the idea that all space used by civilization is productive and it'd be interesting if economic mismanagement could cause tile blockers to appear.

Interesting, but probably not a very fun mechanic in practice.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Chalks posted:

I kinda like it - it's a bit ham fisted but I think the idea of spending resources to regenerate areas into something more productive could have a place in the game.

That's what all of the tile blockers are. The thing about the slums one is that a slum is basically a place where a lot of poor people live. I'm not even making a political point here: if all those people are living there, why are they not a pop? What does destroying all their hovels do to make the tile productive when you still need to move a pop there to get any benefit? It's not really a big deal it just annoys me.

The Shantytown mod makes a lot more sense as a way of representing slums. w/e not even a big deal compared to what modifiers to ship costs do to colony ships (modding this game hurts sometimes).

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

As playing The Culture it is a bit weird that there are slums and shanty towns...

I suppose I'm playing very early days Culture.

I made The Idiran Empire also - fanatic militaristic expansive spiritualists. Maybe i'll run into them.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

That's what all of the tile blockers are. The thing about the slums one is that a slum is basically a place where a lot of poor people live. I'm not even making a political point here: if all those people are living there, why are they not a pop? What does destroying all their hovels do to make the tile productive when you still need to move a pop there to get any benefit? It's not really a big deal it just annoys me.

The Shantytown mod makes a lot more sense as a way of representing slums. w/e not even a big deal compared to what modifiers to ship costs do to colony ships (modding this game hurts sometimes).

I agree with this. Having slums as something you have to clear in order to make the tile productive means that at the start of every game we're all the equivalent of developers forcing out inconvenient poor people. I'd rather it was 'Abandoned city' or something.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I imagine we just bulldoze all the poor people into the ocean or a big hole or something and pretend they don't exist anymore.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What if doing it gave you a free pop? I mean, you'd have to balance the resource costs somewhat but what if you were actively improving your populations' lives instead of mulching them up and building mines where they lived?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Muffinlord posted:

What if doing it gave you a free pop? I mean, you'd have to balance the resource costs somewhat but what if you were actively improving your populations' lives instead of mulching them up and building mines where they lived?
That's not a bad idea tbh. I've said it before, but I'd love if tileblockers did more in general. Plant tile blockers giving society research adjacency, clearing them out giving a one-time boost. Stuff like that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Crazycryodude posted:

I imagine we just bulldoze all the poor people into the ocean or a big hole or something and pretend they don't exist anymore.

Well like it costs like 35 minerals and energy to clear the shanty town which is like half the cost in minerals of a corvette, which let us remind ourselves is a faster than light capable space ship that fires nuclear missiles or its equivalent.

So I dunno, for that amount of resources you probably build them all houses and give them courses in becoming IT help desk workers or something.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The Muffinlord posted:

It's just a tile blocker. It can be flavored as whatever, I'd just prefer that the flavor make some degree of sense for what clearing a tile blocker does. A "Polluted wastelands" blocker or something for example wouldn't prompt this question. You can't use that tile because it's an area full of toxic waste that needs to be cleaned up! The other home planet blocker is like "Industrial ruins" or something and is a similar deal. It's abandoned buildings and facilities you presumably clear away or refurbish. You don't have any reason to care once your home planet has all its blockers cleared, though, it just irks me. (eta: the degree of uncertainty about what these things are called that I display here is indicative of what a minor deal this all is.)

On the other hand, certain kinds of blockers giving a special bonus after clearing them is a cool idea.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think we've discussed this before though that the fact they are tile blockers which are just totally removed sort of makes every planet feel like a flat boring planet.

Like how do you even remove a volcano? Why don't you just develop cool lava resistant colonies that utilise the geothermal power?

How to you remove these massive glaciers? Why don't you just develop cool ice cavern habitats where everyone lives in an ice cave colony?

I suspect it's in the to do list.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A bunch of mods actually do a some interesting things with blockers. Like the one that gave me Spider Hell World also can give you a planet with crashed giant precursor spacecraft that are ridiculously expensive to clear but have an adjacency bonus to engineering research.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GunnerJ posted:

A bunch of mods actually do a some interesting things with blockers. Like the one that gave me Spider Hell World also can give you a planet with crashed giant precursor spacecraft that are ridiculously expensive to clear but have an adjacency bonus to engineering research.

Fundamentally though if you remove the tile blockers you're back to your flat featureless world though

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Fundamentally though if you remove the tile blockers you're back to your flat featureless world though

This is true, but the best tile blockers are the ones that provide adjacency bonuses since then it's an actual decision between the tile and the blocker, and making it flat and featureless is more of a decision than an inevitability. Ones that give a bonus for clearing, yeah that's boring since it's just rewarding me for what I'd be doing anyway.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I NEED MORE SPACE FOR MY CITIES!

*bulldozes the Alps*

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

GunnerJ posted:

Consider what they're paired with; the 'Industrial Wasteland' tile blocker. Which is old, crumbling 'old' industry. Something's happened at the start of the game, and all the population that can is now operating the new stuff. Maybe it's the clean power capable of fuelling all our other efforts. Maybe it's the new mining that is twice as effective than anything that's been done before(Mining Network 1 is 2 minerals. 'Primitive Factory' AKA our level of tech generates 1 mineral. So does the 'basic mine' on a new colony.) Maybe it's the new super-foods(Tailored vegetable matter, the game calls it-so, soya)

Somehow even our urban centre(Planetary Capital) is producing vast amounts of food and industry(4 Food, 4 minerals) on it's own. Apparently everyone's moved into the new super-city.

Sometimes it doesn't matter that people are living somewhere; the housing block has to come down and the people moved elsewhere. I should know; it's something that happened to my own family/myself, with little explanation as to why. Yeoman Court was nice enough while it lasted. There's lots of smaller properties where it used to be now.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
now that I think about it, it's kind of weird that when you advance from pre-ftl to ftl civilisation you replace all of your heavy industry with mines

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The game should have modeled industry and had "minerals" being things factories consume to make "production" or "industry units", which is what you'd spend to build things. Maybe have a few raw resources. Clipper factories etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Baronjutter posted:

The game should have modeled industry and had "minerals" being things factories consume to make "production" or "industry units", which is what you'd spend to build things. Maybe have a few raw resources. Clipper factories etc.

just make victoria III but in space imo

• Locked thread