Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Struggle / OBSERVING: 09/16/2030, 14:43

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

If killing you means it'll put an end to all of this, then I'll do what I must. Even if it means staining my hands in sin for the first and last time in my life...!
(Khh... Mr. Ukita's resorting to coercive tactics to put the blame on Watase...!)
--Your 'mission' ends here! Die, traitor!
Captain! Look out!

(Mr. Ukita...! If he's calling Watase a traitor, then does that mean Mr. Ukita really was the sleeper agent after all!? But why... I wanted to trust him...!)
Anyway, we need to get out of here as quickly as possible. Now that the old man knows we're here, this place is no longer safe. ...And Teach is in trouble too.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Who the hell did this...!? How'd they even break the door in the first place!?
(--What the hell happened here!? Did somebody take Prof. Tsubakiyama away!?)
I have a bad feeling about this... Let's get out of here! We need to find a safe place!
(Khh... please! Please be safe, Professor!)

As Watase and Kazami ran aimlessly, they reached the connecting passageway to Area 1. And waiting for them there was--

I see... so that really was it all along... Then... I have no choice... I gotta do it or I can't protect anyone... I gotta kill that son of a bitch...
(!? Why-- why's Jun bleeding from the head!? And what's she doing with that engine cutter!?)

--As they ran away from Jun, Kazami muttered in blank amazement.

We're being chased by our squadmate and people we swore to rescue... and we have no place to run...!

Those words gave Natsuhiko some food for thought.

(... That's strange... Mr. Ukita was like that too... but I'd never have expected Jun to act that way no matter how suspicious Watase acted... What's with those two...? It's like they're the same as Watase was back then! What's going on here!? How the hell can we survive in this mess!?)

But then Watase spoke.

...Don't give up. We're still alive... and there's still people we need to save. So fight on until the bitter end... If you wanna give up, you can do that later.

Those words encouraged Natsuhiko's consciousness. Soon enough, they headed to the engine room in search of their last sliver of hope, where they found--

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

(Then does that mean it's not radiation spreading through LABO, but these ''WX particles'' instead?)

--Various doubts welled up within Natsuhiko's consciousness, but Watase was focused on finding something else.

I don't see anything in here about coolant...

So this really is our only way out!

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

''Stop the coolant device, go through the drainage pipe to contact the outside, and lead a rescue team back in.''

That was the plan Watase had thought of to save everyone. He then gathered all the necessary tools and swam in the pipe by himself to seek help. However--

You're back already!?
...I'm sorry...! There was an obstruction in the pipe... I couldn't even make it to Lake Rokumei...!
--!

--His plan resulted in failure.

(Dammit... Just when I finally thought we had a glimmer of hope...!)
...Let's try starting all over from the beginning. We'll think of a way to open the bulkhead by Area 2's emergency staircase...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Astonishment / SHOCK: 09/16/2030, 15:10

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

Release Natsuhiko. Or else I'll choke this woman to death.
(S-Salyu!?)
Stop it, Salyu! We're just trying to save you guys! Why can't you understand that!?

Watase frantically tried to talk some sense into the bloodthirsty Salyu. But she just gave him a pointed glare--

I thought I told you to stop telling such transparent lies. You think you can trick me after you shot Natsuhiko?
Wha... Wait, what did you say...!?
You didn't know, woman?
You're lying... right...'? The Captain would never do anything like that... right...?

Watase gasped at Kazami's words. And at that moment--

The memories of back then flickered inside Watase's head once more.

(Crap! At this rate, Watase might regain his memory--! What do I do!? Go back to my body and try to persuade Salyu!? Wait, but... Would it be safe to suddenly return to my body when it's barely recovered from the brink of death!? If my body's condition suddenly worsens once it gets out of hibernation--!)

As Natsuhiko hesitated, Salyu addressed Kazami.

Take a close look at what's in that man's pocket.

That gun probably belonged to this man to begin with. He used it to shoot Natsuh--

Right when Salyu said that, Kazami violently shook her off.

--I SAID STOP!
!

Salyu's body flew through the air.

(!?)

All Natsuhiko could do was watch the whole thing from beginning to end. Salyu proceeded to tumble down the staircase. She finally stopped at the landing of the stairs at Bi. She wasn't budging an inch.

(--Salyu!)

Her life wasn't in danger, but she appeared to be completely knocked out.

(Dammit! If only I hadn't hesitated to go back to my body!)

As Natsuhiko wallowed in regret for not trying to persuade Salyu sooner-- Kazami descended the steps with unsteady feet.

Captain... is she...?
It's okay, she's just passed out.
I-I see...

Kazami's body shook as she spoke. Something was off about her. Kazami looked at Watase and spoke.

...Captain, may I ask you just one question?
...What is it?
This mystery has been on my mind for along time... Captain, why was it that you went down to the basement at 6:42 AM, shortly after this accident occurred?
That's-- I told you guys, that's because Dojima and Hiyama called for me on their radio...
So what you're saying is that your radio could receive transmissions then, correct? But... but you know... I personally tried to reach you on your radio just a few minutes before that...!

''6:42 AM''-- That was one of the memories Natsuhiko casually bestowed upon Watase when falsifying his memories.

(Has Ms. Tachibana been doubting Watase this entire time...?)

That doubt wasn't unwarranted. The loss and imperfect recovery of memory. Hallucinations. Falsehoods. A pistol. Watase could answer none of these lingering questions of hers-- Watase was extremely suspicious. But for Kazami to have followed him this far was probably a testament to just how much she trusted him.

(But that last thing Salyu said must've been...!)

That last statement must have been enough to shatter Kazami's trust.

I... I tried as hard as I could to trust you. I've trusted you for as long as I can remember. But...
T-Tachibana...?
...I just can't do it, Watase. If what Ms. Sannomiya said was true, then everything fits. When I think of this facility's true nature and the past you... I realize that there's only one answer.
(Wh-what's going on...?)

At that moment, Natsuhiko felt an intense uneasiness. He could understand why Kazami would doubt Watase, but the extent of her doubt was blatantly abnormal.

... If you are a murderer... Then the least I can do is preserve your good name...!

As Kazami kept muttering incomprehensibly, she reached out for a nearby fire extinguisher.

You went down the wrong path, Watase... Now it's time for you to receive your punishment for that choice.

--And a second later...

♪ BGM: Abyss

Kazami swung the fire extinguisher horizontally, but Watase quickly blocked it with his arm.

St-stop! Why are you doing this!?
Watase... I'm so sorry, Watase... This is the only thing... I can do for you now...

At that moment, Watase quickly thrust Kazami away.

Kyah!

She fell on the staircase with the fire extinguisher still in hand. Watase took that opportunity to carry Natsuhiko's body down to the second basement level and rush out of the stairwell.

Thoughts raced through Natsuhiko as Watase shouted that.

(What in the world's going on!? --Why's everyone acting crazy all of a sudden!? Even Ms. Tachibana!?)

Something suspicious was happening. But Natsuhiko didn't know what.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Natsuhiko, you dun goofed. Most of the reasons Kazami's suspecting Watase were Natsuhiko-bestowed.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Eh let's not be too hard on the kid. He spent the last 9 years being lied too by his best friend

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Every time his best friend told him the truth, he started clutching his head and screaming before suddenly forgetting what she just said, so maybe give Mashiro some credit for not going and making less depressing friends.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Mashiro is cool and strong and my friend, don't say mean things about Mashiro

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think as a BC Ghost, N here would be able to feel something else trying to influence people like Watase.

...maybe it's attacking through memories?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Eh let's not be too hard on the kid. He spent the last 9 years being lied too by his best friend

Let's describe it accurately - he spent the last 9 years lying to himself and forgetting any time anyone told him differently.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Despair / DECISION: 09/16/2030, 15:13

...!

Abnormal symptoms including skin discomfort, headache, and convulsing fingertips.

(No, Watase! It's too dangerous here!)

The manual they'd found in the engine room even had this to say: ''8000 mSv-: unconsciousness''. The contamination level in Area N was far beyond that.

(Khh-- If the contamination levels that high, then the device inside here really must be that WX particle amplifier! Is this device the reason the facility's ''mSv'' values have been increasing!?)

Once Natsuhiko was convinced of that connection, a sudden realization hit him.

(!!!)

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

''AD'', ''Procyon'', ''contaminated zone'', ''WX particle amplifier'', ''WX particle'', ''BC's third ability''. The scattered puzzle pieces inside of Natsuhiko rapidly connected into one.

(Ah, ah, aahh...! I... I got it! I've solved one of the mysteries!)

The answer he finally found was the true nature of the facility.

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

(... I've been connected to Watase for six hours using ''BC's third ability''. But whenever he administered ''AD'', the connection would halt, and when he entered a ''contaminated zone'', it would resume. So in other words, the ''AD'' that LABO made is a drug that inhibits my BC abilities-- The ''WX particles'' spreading around LABO have the opposite effect as AD: they augment my BC abilities!)

And in the dead center of the high-security LABO was a ''WX particle amplifier''. And the ''Procyon'', the device that measured the WX particles, was built by LABO as well. The Procyon, the AD, the WX particles... everything relates to BC--!

(Which means... which means LABO!!)

(--So LABO really isn't a nuclear power research lab at all! It's a facility for researching ''WX particles'' and ''BC abilities''!!)

Natsuhiko finally arrived at that truth-- and at that very same moment--

!!

Watase panicked and operated the terminal. The gate quickly began to close. But before it could finish, Kazami slipped through--

--and swung the fire extinguisher down right onto Watase's head. Sparks filled his vision and his body shook left and right. But Watase mustered the last of his strength--

AAAAAAAAAH!

And pushed Kazami right out of Area N.

OPEN THE GATE, WATASE!

Kazami's voice drowned out behind the gate.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Why was there no fire and no nuclear reactor in Area N, but rather Natsuhiko on the brink of death instead? Why did Yuuri's body disappear?--

The amnesia and the contradictory memories were caused by Natsuhiko's abilities.

The reason ''Yuuri'' ran away was probably the same.

But even Natsuhiko had six lingering questions of his own that he could not solve.

But what he understood the least was--

It felt like a voice rising up from Natsuhiko's heart of hearts.

(That's right... Try to remember! The answer has to be in something I've seen so far.)

With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko recalled Rokumei City's Seven Wonders.

Natsuhiko couldn't understand why he was suddenly reminded of these wonders. However--

(If all of those are true, then...!)

--It was too out there to call it a theory. It was nothing more than a simple guess. But Natsuhiko thought:

(I don't know who's at fault here...)

--He knew that he couldn't let it end like this.

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

(Then I'll investigate! I'll find out exactly what's going on here! I can't leave everything to Watase anymore. I can't remain a mere spectator-- --I'm throwing down the gauntlet! If the two of us work together, we can do this--!!)

The moment he made his brave decision-- Natsuhiko's consciousness returned to his body.

His sight, his hearing, his touch, his smell, his taste, and his pain all awoke inside his body.

!!

And immediately afterwards, he felt a burning pain singe through his bullet wounds. It was genuine pain that he had to grit his teeth to bear.

--...gh!!

But Natsuhiko bore the pain nonetheless. He focused all the strength he could muster into his heavy limbs-- --and slowly but surely, he stood up. The blood transfusion needle fell out, but he paid no heed to that... and stepped up to Watase.

When he heard Natsuhiko's footsteps, Watase peeled his heavy eyes open.

--Get up. None of this is over yet...!

Six towering devices stood in the vast Area N. As they made their mechanical whirring sounds-- An intense, resolute voice shook the cool air.

You and I will save everyone from this nightmare...!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 28, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When they reveal the "Monster" to be Nagisa I'm going to be SO loving smug about it, none of you have any idea. The procyon will register lethal levels of smug particles coming from me and I'll get thrown into the smug reactor.

If it's somehow not Nagisa I'll really noticably not say anything about it

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

When they reveal the "Monster" to be Nagisa I'm going to be SO loving smug about it, none of you have any idea. The procyon will register lethal levels of smug particles coming from me and I'll get thrown into the smug reactor.

What if it's Nagisa but voiced by Cam Clarke?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Danaru posted:

Have we developed smug AD yet, or do I need to ban you from the thread if that happens lest I catch the smug virus?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Epilogue / PROLOGUE: 09/16/2030, 15:16

----
--
--Right then... In LABO's basement floors--

A man spat out repeated words of resentment.

A woman wandered around in search of another man.

A young rescue worker hardened her heart with a murderous intent.

A girl who had fainted got up with vacant eyes.

And a girl called out a boy's name. --But not a single one of the nine noticed...

...inside a cage constructed beneath their feet--

And, as if time were repeating itself--

...Ugh... Where am I...? ...!

She soon remembered. What had happened to her and why she had been asleep there.

...Hikorin.

Her voice trembled in the darkness.

Hikorin, save me...!

There were three more hours until the lockdown was lifted. Her wish would soon pass through the darkness--

Well, I didn't expect it to go through so quickly, but here we are, at the end of Route Current. It really was just a short transistory route to bring us up to speed with what Natsuhiko experienced while in Watase's head and fill in some of the blanks of what happened in Route After. Of course, there are still plenty of mysteries to be solved...

...and we will find our answers in the final route of this game. Route Double has opened up for us, and after a short trip back to see the other outcomes of that one branch, we'll be diving right into things. We still have plenty to see.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 28, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well, it's time for...

Psychology Time with Junpei!

Today, we'll go for a triple with all of Nat's friends!

The Individualist, Helper and Peacemaker

Louise
Type 4 in brief: Fours are self-aware, sensitive, and reserved. They are emotionally honest, creative, and personal, but can also be moody and self-conscious. Withholding themselves from others due to feeling vulnerable and defective, they can also feel disdainful and exempt from ordinary ways of living. They typically have problems with melancholy, self-indulgence, and self-pity.
At their Best: Inspired and highly creative, they are able to renew themselves and transform their experiences.
Basic Fear: That they have no identity or personal significance
Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an identity)

Mashiro
Type 2 in brief: Twos are empathetic, sincere, and warm-hearted. They are friendly, generous, and self-sacrificing, but can also be sentimental, flattering, and people-pleasing. They are well-meaning and driven to be close to others, but can slip into doing things for others in order to be needed. They typically have problems with possessiveness and with acknowledging their own needs.
At their Best: Unselfish and altruistic, they have unconditional love for others.
Basic Fear: Of being unwanted, unworthy of being loved
Basic Desire: To feel loved

Yuuri
Type 9 in brief: Nines are accepting, trusting, and stable. They are usually creative, optimistic, and supportive, but can also be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace. They want everything to go smoothly and be without conflict, but they can also tend to be complacent, simplifying problems and minimizing anything upsetting. They typically have problems with inertia and stubbornness.
At their Best: Indomitable and all-embracing, they are able to bring people together and heal conflicts.
Basic Fear: Of loss and separation
Basic Desire: To have inner stability or "peace of mind"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think it might be the game's overall atmosphere but this picture is making me laugh. Just the sweet innocent girly room juxtaposed with ONLY THE HARDESTCORE OF RESTRAINTS IRON MAIDEN OR BUST!!11!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oh boy oh boy, look at all the potential bad ends we can get. :D

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Logicblade posted:

Oh boy oh boy, look at all the potential bad ends we can get. :D

I wonder who will act the dumbest and cause the most deaths: Watase or Natsuhiko?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder who will act the dumbest and cause the most deaths: Watase or Natsuhiko?

Yes.

Also, it's time for Root Double to begin.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mraagvpeine posted:

The next question after this is 'How many of Watase's deaths are going to involve his patented 'whoops your head a splode' wrestling moves?'

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheMcD posted:

Have we developed smug AD yet, or do I need to ban you from the thread if that happens lest I catch the smug virus?

DBC isn't so bad, instead of going crazy like NBC, you just turn into a dumb theory poster :v:

Also :mad:

That is SO Nagisa projecting into Kazami's mind like Yuuri did to Natsuhiko. :argh:

Now uh, I don't know why she wants to kill Watase specifically, or why she had Yuuri tied up and dumped into the baby basement. Or... how, considering she died. The AD disappearance would make sense since Kazami would be especially susceptible to Nagisa's suggestions, and Nagisa would absolutely want AD out of the picture so she can turn everyone bananas.

I also have one more prediction, one I'm even more confident in than the whole Nagisa and Q thing: I predict this will be 90% of Root Double

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Jesus Christ :golfclap:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Danaru posted:

Now uh, I don't know why she wants to kill Watase specifically, or why she had Yuuri tied up and dumped into the baby basement. Or... how, considering she died.

Just gonna correct you here and say that that can't be Nagisa (which we've concluded to be Elevator Girl) because the shadow's hairstyle (short cut) does not match Nagisa's, but does match Restrained Girl. Still not confirmed what's going on with Elevator Girl, probably is dead (which would make me sad actually).

Now, onto video analysis (also, who's narrating this video?):
Okay, so we still have that odd "Awaken" voice, maybe that's Elevator Girl? or Mashiro?
Natsuhiko and Watase, standing as back to back as VN images allow. Awesome.
Watase gets his memories back, with an image of someone who looks like him (albeit with his face in shadow) in full Rescue gear peering into some rubble.
All of the below is accompanied by the phrase "the nine trapped souls unknown pasts"
The words "Senses Sympathy", Nat's mum looks pissed at either the clipboard or the one who handed it to her, Brown Hair Girl closeup?
Ukita confirmed collaborator. We knew that, but can't get more confirmed than an image of Ukita having a smile on his face as Dojima and Hiyama carry away scientists on their shoulders.
More images, first some short haired crying girl (I want to say Jun?), someone with long hair and a butterfly hairband addressing two Suited Men, and a repeat of "Senses Sympathy".
"And the Unveiled face of their true enemy"
Rewrite Addition Memory. Whatever could this mean? /s
Kazami at Nagisa's funeral, Salyu at piano, Kid! Nat at hospital, Mashiro getting blood transfusion.
Also, if the final words in that video are to be believed, even if Watase is less of an rear end than before he lost his memory, he will butt heads with Natsuhiko and the ending may depend on who we believe to be right at the end.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

Just gonna correct you here and say that that can't be Nagisa (which we've concluded to be Elevator Girl) because the shadow's hairstyle (short cut) does not match Nagisa's, but does match Restrained Girl. Still not confirmed what's going on with Elevator Girl, probably is dead (which would make me sad actually).

Now, onto video analysis (also, who's narrating this video?):
Okay, so we still have that odd "Awaken" voice, maybe that's Elevator Girl? or Mashiro?

In this particular case, that's referring to Natsuhiko at the end of Current - calling to Watase to "Awake".

The video narrator, to my memory, matches no voice in Root Double.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Cyouni posted:

The video narrator, to my memory, matches no voice in Root Double.

It's Kazami narrating. (At least, I'm fairly certain.)

ArashiKurobara fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 11, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

ArashiKurobara posted:

It's Kazami narrating. (At least, I'm fairly certain.)

I checked again, and though it's been a while, I do believe you're right. If it's anyone, it's Kazami.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It is Kazami. It was Watase in the Route After preview, Yuuri in the Route Before preview, Natsuhiko in the Route Current preview, and now Kazami in the Route Double preview.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Explosive / EXPLOSION

Now, let's go back and get all the missing pieces of Route Current. And by ''all the pieces'', I mean two scenes. This time around, we're going to be favoring Kazami when it comes to who Watase should team up with.

And then, as if that thought had a considerable effect on Watase--

Watase made that proposition-- --which was quickly accepted.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Is it just me, or is something burning?
You're right... Where in the world is it coming from...?

Was the fire not fully put out and it just relit?
It appears that the sprinklers weren't able to put it out entirely because it was in the shadow of the staircase.

Kazami went to take out a fire hose.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

(Wh-what's this!?)

Kazami soon started to come back with the fire hose.

Tachibana, stay back! Retreat!
Huh!?
(???)

In that moment, countless warning sirens blared away inside Watase's head--

Look out!

...M-my leg...

Kazami injured her leg! Watase parted with Ukita and brought Kazami to the surveillance room. --And after he treated Kazami, Watase chased after Ukita and resumed searching LABO.

And then we're on into Doubt / IRRITATION. So really, nothing new here. The other chapter's a bit interesting, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Message / PRIVATE MESSAGE

So this time around, we're teaming Watase up with Ena.

And then, as if that thought had a considerable effect on Watase--

Teach, you good with teaming up with me?

Watase made that proposition-- --which was quickly accepted. Ukita ended up joining Watase's group-- And after the three of them made another sweep of Area 5, they headed to the factory.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Oh... what's this?

Ena was pointing to a white board with the following message written on it:

...The hell's this?
Mmm... it looks like a message from one person to another...

The two of them tilted their heads in confusion, but Natsuhiko alone understood the meaning of that message.

(''From the tear rain to Altair and the bridge of bird wings''-- That's a message from Salyu to me and Mashiro, isn't it!?)

She wrote it in a cryptic way, perhaps as a way to prevent the terrorists from intercepting the message-- Most likely, ''tear rain'' meant ''Sairuiu''-- Salyu. ''Altair'' meant ''Hikoboshi''-- Natsuhiko. The bridge of ''bird wings'' meant ''Toba''-- Mashiro.

''Did you guys manage to escape? Or are you still here? ...I'd like to reunite with you as soon as possible if you are indeed still here.''

Natsuhiko thought he felt his chest tighten as he read the message.

(I'm sorry, Salyu... Mashiro escaped to the surface, but me? I'm already...)

''Was Sirius able to escape from his cage on that night of the full moon?''

The answer to that was obviously ''yes''. That night, Natsuhiko and Mashiro did indeed successfully set Sirius free from the city.

(But this time...)

Natsuhiko was already dead. And now Salyu was trapped inside the same cage. Natsuhiko wanted to set Salyu free from this hell, no matter what the cost. Before his spirit faded away...

(... Salyu, please be safe.)

--But shortly later, trouble occurred. While Watase was climbing the elevator shaft, one of the ladder's stairs broke off.

(U-uwaahh!)

Immediately afterwards, an intense shock ran from Watase's back to the crown of his head, instantly robbing him of his consciousness--

Watase and Ena resumed the search, chasing after Ukita who had gone ahead. But Ukita was already nowhere to be found.

And that ends that chapter, leading to Doubt / IRRITATION once again. Much like in Route After, it's slightly different from having Ena around, but nothing all that interesting, especially in the abridged version of Route Current. That brings us to the end of Route Current!

We found the one ending of Route Current - not that it was a major achievement.

The scene title list has no missing scenes between Prologue / EPILOGUE and Epilogue / PROLOGUE, so we have all the scenes.

And in the end, we didn't really move the needle in getting away from being about halfway through. So, next time, we'll be getting into Route Double.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, I was wondering: Is there a theme to the chapter names?

After: Basic descriptions of items or events in that chapter
Before: Description of place, or quotes from literature
Current: Word/SYNONYM OR ANTONYM OF PREVIOUS WORD IN ALL CAPS

Is this about right?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

So, I was wondering: Is there a theme to the chapter names?

After: Basic descriptions of items or events in that chapter
Before: Description of place, or quotes from literature
Current: Word/SYNONYM OR ANTONYM OF PREVIOUS WORD IN ALL CAPS

Is this about right?

Kind of - the names in Current are a descriptions of what happens in the chapter from the two different viewpoints. So in Support / SUSPICIONS, Watase supports Ena when the others distrust her, but Natsuhiko has suspicions. In Terror / ERASURE, Watase is scared shitless of Yuuri, and Natsuhiko erases his memory. There's also some minor themes, for instance during Chapter 6 of Route Before, where every title is "*PERSON*'S *THING*".

A "theme" of sorts is also that the chapters from Natsuhiko's viewpoint are in all caps - you can notice that in Route Before, since when we go to Mashiro's point of view, the titles go to regular case.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheMcD posted:

Kind of - the names in Current are a descriptions of what happens in the chapter from the two different viewpoints. So in Support / SUSPICIONS, Watase supports Ena when the others distrust her, but Natsuhiko has suspicions. In Terror / ERASURE, Watase is scared shitless of Yuuri, and Natsuhiko erases his memory. There's also some minor themes, for instance during Chapter 6 of Route Before, where every title is "*PERSON*'S *THING*".

A "theme" of sorts is also that the chapters from Natsuhiko's viewpoint are in all caps - you can notice that in Route Before, since when we go to Mashiro's point of view, the titles go to regular case.

I see.

Mashiro's perspective chapters seem weird: Magnetic Rose is a film, Sonata in B Flat is a piece of music, but When Cidada Season Is Over and Odyssey In The Sky With Denpa have me stumped.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 11, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

14 endings, huh? :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems like there's just so much murder coming.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

I see.

Mashiro's perspective chapters seem weird: Magnetic Rose is a film, Sonata in B Flat is a piece of music, but When Cidada Season Is Over and Odyssey In The Sky With Denpa have me stumped.

Odyssey in the Sky with Denpa is probably a play on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, with the term "Denpa" being a fairly accurate descriptor for Natsuhiko's state of mind.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

Well, so it's been about two weeks. I really didn't expect Route Current to be that short. But now we're ready to head into the grand finale - or the second half of the game, depending on how you want to look at it - with Route Double.

...you know, thinking about it, I've been completely missing the whole root/route thing. I mean, I notice it, but it never really clicks with me because of my General American pronunciation, which pronounces ''route'' the same as the word ''rout'', and not the same as the word ''root''. The developers of the game went with the Queen's English instead. I guess it wouldn't work as well with General American unless you start working large-scale battles into the story. Anyway, back to our regular programming.

Once again, we start out with a bible quote.

--It all happened inside this facility--

*sob*... *sob*...

Don't cry, Yuuri! I'll do something!

--Nine years ago, the young boy desperately tried to save the girl--

--and then the time came for the boy to part with the girl's phantom.

He then truly connected with the childhood friend who had supported him--

--and staked his life in an effort to save her.

Ga... agh...!

He mustered the last of his strength to defeat a man full of malice...

For a while, time stopped for them.

--But after 4896 seconds had passed-- Time began to move once more.

...Captain, please hang in there! Captain!
Get up, Captain! C'mon!

What... am I...?

--The man woke up, burdened with the duty of ''rescue squad captain''--

I-isn't it obvious...? It's because... I'm... a rescue squad... captain.

--and he fought with his life on the line to fulfill that duty.

--But regardless of his hard fight, several lives were still lost--

And even the comrades whom he had to save--

--bore their fangs at him.

I thought I told you to stop telling such transparent lies. You think you can trick me after you shot Natsuhiko?
--!?
You're lying... right...? The Captain would never do anything like that... right...?

Even the woman whom he trusted the most began to doubt him. Even though he had thought they'd made a genuine connection.

...Now it's time for you to receive your punishment for that choice.

From two different viewpoints, the boy and the man observed this story, these events, and the world, carving them all into their memories. And at the end of their arduous journey-- --these two spirits and bodies confronted one another in the same place.

None of this is over yet...!

Or perhaps he was the voice who called out. Deep within the whitewashed tomb, their times overlapped-- And once again began to move.

-

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TheMcD posted:

Once again, we start out with a bible quote.

Well, no, not really. It's possible that the writers think it's a real bible quote, though? That has somehow become a common misconception.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

NRVNQSR posted:

Well, no, not really. It's possible that the writers think it's a real bible quote, though? That has somehow become a common misconception.

Huh. That's strange.

...hold the gently caress up, I just noticed. Ezekiel 25:17? Oh, now I get it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, wow!

Are the other three not bible quotes, then?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

Oh, wow!

Are the other three not bible quotes, then?

No, the other three are all accurate quotes. It's just this one.

EDIT: It is incredibly appropriate for the "memories are ambiguous" game to have a false bible quote that a lot of people think is a real bible quote.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

No wonder so much of this game makes no sense, it's actually a Tarantino film! The briefcase is full of AD!

• Locked thread