Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

seriously andromeda is the fourth goddamn mass effect game and the squad is still

male vaguely-swarthy human
female career-minded human
edgy turian
brainy asari
tough krogan

i guess they swapped out the nerdy quarian for jaal, whom we know nothing about whatsoever

it's not only safe, but it's blatantly aping ME1's party.

if i was inclined to dumb conspiracy theories, it almost feels like there are people on the ME:A team who really don't like certain elements of Mass Effect: quarians, geth, hanar, elcor, batarians, etc.

Bioware has made the same companion archetypes since Baldur's Gate 2, I don't know why you find this surprising.

At the same time, after the disaster of ME3's ending, maybe the team was a but gunshy about making "bold" choices like having a vorcha or elcor companion and decided to stick with the familiar in order to play it safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Zakmonster posted:

Witcher 3 caught a lot of people by surprise - everyone knew it was going to be good, but no one realised it was going to be that good. And by the time Witcher 3 came out and became the new standard for RPGs to meet, Bioware was probably too deep into the development of MEA to change certain things, or their internal manpower issues was making certain things impossible.

I don't really buy this narrative. The Witcher games have been on a steady uptick of quality since the first. They listened to feedback, and were refining the medium. IIRC, there were four years between The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3. There were five years between ME3 and ME:A, and CDPR certainly didn't have the resources and funding that a company like EA can provide for an AAA title. ME:A had a team of something like 300. Not trying anything new, and being within arm's reach of the Dragon Age: Origins graphics engine is a testament to lazy video games.

Milky Moor posted:

Mac Walters, of course, is the Creative Director of ME:A and a big fan of TIM and Aria and Cerberus...

hahaha why would this guy be kept on i don't understand

is there a new :smug: :liara: crime boss

e: "Don't gently caress with Aria." lady i have committed genocide at LEAST once shut your goddamn mouth

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 12, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

How long is the early access lasting? Can I start my 10 hours on say Sunday?

Also I'm guessing early access isn't available on ps4?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

I don't really buy this narrative. The Witcher games have been on a steady uptick of quality since the first. They listened to feedback, and were refining the medium. IIRC, there were four years between The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3. There were five years between ME3 and ME:A, and CDPR certainly didn't have the resources and funding that a company like EA can provide for an AAA title. ME:A had a team of something like 300. Not trying anything new, and being within arm's reach of the Dragon Age: Origins graphics engine is a testament to lazy video games.

So has the ME series, though. Gameplay steadily improved and evolved from game to game, and MEA seems to follow that trend, from what we've seen of their gameplay videos. Where they've obviously sucked is the animation quality, and possibly their gathering/crafting mechanics - something even Witcher 3 suffered from (crafting, not animation).

Also, CDPR had an $80million development budget and 240 people on their team. Bioware has more people, but I don't know what their budget is, probably more than 80 mill. To pretend that CDPR is some tiny Eastern European studio is disingenuous.

Clawtopsy posted:

hahaha why would this guy be kept on i don't understand

is there a new :smug: :liara: crime boss

The first video of MEA, with Sara Ryder's hosed up face and the shoddy disarm animation, had a crime boss that might be Aria MK2, although she's human. How big she plays into the main story remains to be seen.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zakmonster posted:

Bioware has made the same companion archetypes since Baldur's Gate 2, I don't know why you find this surprising.

At the same time, after the disaster of ME3's ending, maybe the team was a but gunshy about making "bold" choices like having a vorcha or elcor companion and decided to stick with the familiar in order to play it safe.

No, they haven't. In fact, BG2's cast are some of the more unique ones Bioware havr ever done. Since BG2 have you adventured with anyone like Jaheira, for example? That is to say, a mature, headstrong woman who knows her poo poo and had a life and wants outside the wishes of the protagonist? Nalia? Minsc? Keldorn?

Bioware typically change things up, even if the archetypes remain the same. Grunt is a very different character to Wrex, for example.

It is really bizarre that ME:A's squad tend to exhibit the exact same gender/race combinations as the other ME games (Vetra excluded), and even weirder that they seem to align along the same general personality outlines. Four games in and ME:A has just totally embraced the issue of one note aliens.

Someone pointed out that the Krogan Engineer from multiplayer sounded like a far more interesting character concept than anyone else in the actual squad, and they were right. A female Krogan who enjoys physics because it allows her to blow things up, or whatever, is far more interesting than Drack, who appears to be just a tough old Krogan like Wrex. Why is the Asari, again, an archaeologist? Why not have the Krogan be your archaeologist, the Asari be your tough-as-nails melee fighter... Switch things up!

ME:A was an opportunity to embrace a pretty crazy cast of characters, the kind of people who'd volunteer to go on a 600-year journey. I feel safe in saying that anyone in this thread could outline six characters with gender, race and 2-3 sentences and come up with more immediately interesting concepts than the ones we're seeing in ME:A.

For example, I wouldn't say a quarian marine who desired to give up the fight against the Geth and see what another galaxy had to offer is a particularly bold choice, but it's new, different and a character we hadn't had as a party member. What about a batarian, a species that had basically been relegated to comedy murderbait?

edit: I hate crafting but in W3 it actually worked because of how the game set up Geralt as a poor dude who needed to handle stuff with his own resources, and how Witchers had heaps of alchemy knowledge. It works much less well in Bioware games where your character essentially has an establishment behind them.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Zakmonster posted:

Also, CDPR had an $80million development budget and 240 people on their team. Bioware has more people, but I don't know what their budget is, probably more than 80 mill. To pretend that CDPR is some tiny Eastern European studio is disingenuous.

certainly, but compared to EA everyone is a gnat, apart from actiblizz

Zakmonster posted:

So has the ME series, though. Gameplay steadily improved and evolved from game to game, and MEA seems to follow that trend from what we've seen of their gameplay videos. Where they've obviously sucked is the animation quality, and possibly their gathering/crafting mechanics - something even Witcher 3 suffered from (crafting, not animation).

I would argue that the evolution of Mass Effect hasn't really progressed past ME2, apart from some minor graphical upgrades. The best thing about ME3 was the multiplayer, and that had little to no impact on the Space RPG Stuff.

okay i gotta ask is it a 'cryo freeze' situation for everyone, or has peepee been watching 600 years worth of ryders and going 'hmmmmmmm, not yET'

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 12, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

No, they haven't. In fact, BG2's cast are some of the more unique ones Bioware havr ever done. Since BG2 have you adventured with anyone like Jaheira, for example? That is to say, a mature, headstrong woman who knows her poo poo and had a life and wants outside the wishes of the protagonist? Nalia? Minsc? Keldorn?

Bioware typically change things up, even if the archetypes remain the same. Grunt is a very different character to Wrex, for example.

Fair points. Didn't think about it this way. The companions are disappointing in that they're rehashes of previous companions, but that might not mean they aren't enjoyable in their own right. Disappointing that they're not trying to change things up, sure, but at the same time, they are still combating the stigma of the ME3 ending. Playing it 'safe' (read: boring) probably seemed like the better option.

Clawtopsy posted:

I would argue that the evolution of Mass Effect hasn't really progressed past ME2, apart from some minor graphical upgrades. The best thing about ME3 was the multiplayer, and that had little to no impact on the Space RPG Stuff.

ME3 had better power interactions, more weapons, larger variety of enemies. Elements they had in ME2 yes, but really expanded and improved upon. Gameplay got faster as well.

And in MEA, they've moved from a basic cover shooter to incorporate vertical, faster movement, they've opened up the tech/biotic combo system, they've changed the class system and they've even changed the weapons system and apparently added a bunch of weapons with unique firing profiles. What else are you looking for, from a gameplay perspective?

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 12, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

seriously andromeda is the fourth goddamn mass effect game and the squad is still

male vaguely-swarthy human
female career-minded human
edgy turian
brainy asari
tough krogan

i guess they swapped out the nerdy quarian for jaal, whom we know nothing about whatsoever

it's not only safe, but it's blatantly aping ME1's party.

if i was inclined to dumb conspiracy theories, it almost feels like there are people on the ME:A team who really don't like certain elements of Mass Effect: quarians, geth, hanar, elcor, batarians, etc.
It's so weird that three games in a row featuring the same characters featured . . . the same characters. And in the fourth goddamn game, aliens continue to follow their archetype.

Are you familiar at all with the genre called "space opera"? It sounds as though you are not.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It's bad on purpose!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
At this point combat is the only thing that will get me to buy MEA. Curious to see what people think of the early access MP.

Also been loving around in ME2 recently, and despite the facial animations being not good, they don't stand out nearly as much as ME:A. It's all I can see in every video.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
We could have a dumb asari, a bland turian and a weak krogan on the squad, I guess, but I don't see that making the internet any happier.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

epenthesis posted:

We could have a dumb asari, a bland turian and a weak krogan on the squad, I guess, but I don't see that making the internet any happier.

What if we are already getting all those things.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

MadBimber posted:

you and that ironic fetish guy, jesus holy poo poo goddamn what the hell piss butt

What the gently caress is "ironic"?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hedrigall posted:

What the gently caress is "ironic"?

Not knowing what ironic is is p. ironic my dude.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Don't fight goons we can enjoy the good game of multiplayer. :)

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Who the gently caress puts a turret that close to a closed door? Just put it in the room and don't block a perfectly good doorway.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Clawtopsy posted:

There were five years between ME3 and ME:A, and CDPR certainly didn't have the resources and funding that a company like EA can provide for an AAA title. ME:A had a team of something like 300.

How many people do you think worked on the Witcher 3?

W3 was an AAA title with an AAA budget and AAA dev team, in terms of both size and quality.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, the quality of W3 can't be impugned, but it isn't some Indy darling. It had just as much money and as many man hours poured into it as any other AAA title.

Edit: It did, however, put the lie to the notion that scope and scale must always come at the expense of stability or depth.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 12, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Imagine Bioware trying to write their version of hearts of stone lol

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

It's kind of incredible because if ME3 had an ending that made the fans satisfied then this thread wouldn't be the dumpster fire it is

Kinda wild how little goodwill the franchise has because of that

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Understandable though. They've hit 1 for 3 over their last 3 games, and some people wouldn't even grant Inquisition as a positive. I liked DA2, but I'll admit it was a bad game. If people were blindly positive it would be unreasonable.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If i play as Shorty Ryder cosplaying as Shepard the sister disappears from the game? Or there will be a stupid family plot?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

If i play as Shorty Ryder cosplaying as Shepard the sister disappears from the game? Or there will be a stupid family plot?

The Ryder sibling will still appear in the game. All we know is that their cryo pod gets damaged in the opening scene and that they won't be an active party member.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skippy McPants posted:

The Ryder sibling will still appear in the game. All we know is that their cryo pod gets damaged in the opening scene and that they won't be an active party member.

The other Ryder will be the bad guy-gal, right?

Also should a buy a ps4 for this game?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

The other Ryder will be the bad guy-gal, right?

Also should a buy a ps4 for this game?

I doubt it. My guess is that they'll end up either partially of completely disabled and will act mostly as a moral support/foil between missions.

If you PC can handle it, I'd go that route. That way you can cheat your way around any stupid crafting requirements.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skippy McPants posted:

If you PC can handle it, I'd go that route. That way you can cheat your way around any stupid crafting requirements.

I dont think my old R7260X is up to the task and i will be relocating soon so my pc stays at home :(

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

I doubt it. My guess is that they'll end up either partially of completely disabled and will act mostly as a moral support/foil between missions.

There's probably gonna be some sort of crafting exploit like in DAI is what I'm hoping

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
You know, I'm kinda getting DmC vibes from this now. It feels like they're trying to take it in to some sort of curve your enthusiasm episode. *Opens door and is face to face with a turret* "Whoopsidoodles!" "Bazinga" To be continued meme from jojos.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

this thread does a great job of getting me hyped

i love the excited conversations everyone has about the game and you can really feel the love for the series !

thank you for reading and god bless

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Skippy McPants posted:

I think equally likely is that they'll spend the first half of the game recovering, then get sent off on their own mission and join you as a temporary party member right at the end for the endgame, while bringing some sort of vital bit of technology.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Man alive I've never read much stuff from Mass Effect fandom on the net but the amount of handwringing about silly sci-fi shooter adventure it's pretty loving entertaining.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Bioware is a gift to be treasured

[x]

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Why yes I approve anything that makes PEEBEE off herself

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zakmonster posted:

Even still, no other game in recent memory has come close to what Bioware is promising with MEA. They've been talking up 'lots of dialogue', 'more lines than previous 2 games put together', 'branching storylines' - all of which have been their strong points in the past. So they made sacrifices when it came to animation - so what? Even CDPR made some sacrifices when making Witcher 3 (there were like, 3 NPC faces total, and Geralt didn't know how to turn corners), but those were quickly brushed aside when compared to the rest of the game.

Is MEA going to be held up as an RPG game changer like Witcher 3 or Deus Ex? Probably not, but I am willing to be pleasantly surprised. Bioware isn't what they used to be, but I don't think they've fallen that far off the mark yet.

When Mas Effect came out, there was really nothing else out that duplicated the experience as far as choice-based narrative games go. I know some nerd is about to type "Alpha Protocol" but like 5 people played that game, so for all intents and purposes, Mass Effect is mostly what people knew. Bioware was attempting something enormously ambitious in trying to carry over player choice and consequence across an entire sweeping trilogy, which didn't always end up working out, but I respected the effort. But in the years following ME3, we've seen both more intimate narrative games that better present the illusion of choice and consequence (TWD, Life is Strange, Until Dawn) as well as AAA blockbusters that match the scope and scale of Mass Effect's story (TW3, Horizon, Uncharted, GTAV). So what space does Andromeda occupy? I guess some of us were kind of hoping that it would attempt something new, but lately Bioware has felt like a very reactive publisher instead of a groundbreaking one. When Inquisition came out the talking heads all said "we're just like Skyrim!" now that it's 2017 the Andromeda people are saying "we're just like TW3! You like that game, right?" It just seems like there's no ambition behind this project. Sure it's in a new galaxy, but contrived to be as indistinguishable from the Milky Way as possible, with the same old regular stock aliens as before. I like ambition in games, even when that ambition fails, but I'm just not feeling it here.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

When Mas Effect came out, there was really nothing else out that duplicated the experience as far as choice-based narrative games go. I know some nerd is about to type "Alpha Protocol" but like 5 people played that game, so for all intents and purposes, Mass Effect is mostly what people knew. Bioware was attempting something enormously ambitious in trying to carry over player choice and consequence across an entire sweeping trilogy, which didn't always end up working out, but I respected the effort. But in the years following ME3, we've seen both more intimate narrative games that better present the illusion of choice and consequence (TWD, Life is Strange, Until Dawn) as well as AAA blockbusters that match the scope and scale of Mass Effect's story (TW3, Horizon, Uncharted, GTAV). So what space does Andromeda occupy? I guess some of us were kind of hoping that it would attempt something new, but lately Bioware has felt like a very reactive publisher instead of a groundbreaking one. When Inquisition came out the talking heads all said "we're just like Skyrim!" now that it's 2017 the Andromeda people are saying "we're just like TW3! You like that game, right?" It just seems like there's no ambition behind this project. Sure it's in a new galaxy, but contrived to be as indistinguishable from the Milky Way as possible, with the same old regular stock aliens as before. I like ambition in games, even when that ambition fails, but I'm just not feeling it here.

Quick name a space opera RPG to play that's not a ME game

That's the space it occupies. What am I gonna play? SWTOR?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BrianWilly posted:

Bioware is a gift to be treasured

[x]

Uncanny attention to detail

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Ambition?

drat. I just thought it was some good old pulp space opera with the same face rigs and animations from 2007.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Waffles Inc. posted:

Quick name a space opera RPG to play that's not a ME game

That's the space it occupies. What am I gonna play? SWTOR?

You could simply not play it, at all.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You could simply not play it, at all.

Or rather I could play it since I like space opera, video games and all he previous entries in the series?

My whole point is that asking "what space does it occupy" is absurd on its face because the series is the only one of its kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nerds really have no impulse control at all do they? Just wait a week after it's been out, read what people say about it and if they don't say it's a buggy mess then buy it. If not, wait a month for it to be patched and then buy it.