Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shageletic posted:

If you aren't going to get this muscle like this I"d love to.

edit; Yeah, lame costume. It's a Singer production alright.

Yeah, go ahead. I'm probably going to wait and see if there's anything good in American Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I saw a promo about Coleen Wing in Iron Fist and wished she was the main character instead (and no boring-rear end) Danny, why can't we have nice things

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Did they strip most of the supernatural stuff out of Iron Fist? I can see them having a struggle figuring out his origin when 3/4 of the Defenders get their powers from science experiments gone wrong, While Danny gets his from punching a dragon in the heart.

I get that they'd want to try and make him fit better in the mini-universe they created, but that stuff is the thing that makes him a bit less of a third rate Batman/Arrow/etc.

Also disappointed that the failure of this likely means no live action Fat Cobra

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They apparently don't actually get to his origin in the 6 episodes shown to critics.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Did they strip most of the supernatural stuff out of Iron Fist? I can see them having a struggle figuring out his origin when 3/4 of the Defenders get their powers from science experiments gone wrong, While Danny gets his from punching a dragon in the heart.
From what I read, we see his hand glow a bit sometimes aaaaaaaaand that's about it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Ah yes, let's play coy with the most interesting thing about a c-lister! We'll rake in the cash on brand recognition and casting alone!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
To be fair this seems to be close to the Netflix Marvel way, ie not putting the character into costume until the final episode.
It seems like the formula is to be a 10 episode origin story.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say that if you go back and look at the pre-release reviews for Bojack Horseman, they are all negative because the series really didn't come into it's own until the second half. Critics only got the first six so maybe it'll be better in the end :kiddo: Also I feel like the glowing (and deserved) reviews for Luke Cage's pre-release might have been worse if they saw all 12 eps.

So maybe it'll turn out to have a great back half! Now to take a sip of water as I look at showrunner Scott Buck's filmography....

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

There's been no Marvel Netflix show yet where the back half was better than the first half.

All of them should've been cut to 8 Eps (which Defenders thankfully is)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I haven't even got to DD S2 or Luke Cage yet. The Netflix ones really are a slog to get though, as much as I want to love them

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Retro Futurist posted:

I haven't even got to DD S2 or Luke Cage yet. The Netflix ones really are a slog to get though, as much as I want to love them

Watch the first eight episodes of Luke Cage and then stop. If you do that it's loving awesome. Then go on youtube and watch the Method Man cameo and the Shades interrogation scene so that you don't miss those parts.

The first four episodes of DD S2 are some of the best stuff ever filmed by Marvel so don't sleep on that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

DDS2 was, imo, the probably the best paced series so far, with DDs1 behind it. JJ and Luke Cage definitely had some pace problems.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For me DD season 2 fell apart completely in the second half of it's season and never knew quite well what it wanted to do with Elektra. JJ was probably the most consistent from beginning to end, DD season 1 at least seemed to know what it was trying to do.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still think it's got a solid chance to be a reverse Luke Cage and be good in the back half.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm just really upset that apparently the show about the kung fu guy has no good kung fu fights.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just really upset that apparently the show about the kung fu guy has no good kung fu fights.

Well none of the episodes screened to critics. Maybe second half is a 6 hour fight like the fight in Daredevil episode one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Medullah posted:

Well none of the episodes screened to critics. Maybe second half is a 6 hour fight like the fight in Daredevil episode one.

That's still not enough kung fu fights.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If there's not one killer fight scene in the second episode I'll be very confused.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are there no hallways left in NYC?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Are there no hallways left in NYC?

In JJ it was a bar and in Luke Cage he destroyed an entire apartment complex, I actually don't remember what it was in DD season 2, but I do remember it existing.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They should've gotten an actual kung fu guy instead of the fop from Game of Thrones.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

In JJ it was a bar and in Luke Cage he destroyed an entire apartment complex, I actually don't remember what it was in DD season 2, but I do remember it existing.

Was it the scene with the gun taped to his hand? That was a long fight. Also the prison fight I guess?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

There was a stairway fight, it was very good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Was it the scene with the gun taped to his hand? That was a long fight. Also the prison fight I guess?

Lurdiak posted:

There was a stairway fight, it was very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CvkiPS5Ks
Now I remember, it is pretty awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Here's the other poo poo I was talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T96vjUlr06Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2tGCYZWG8
Though according to the internet the Luke Cage one happens in episode 3, so I'm gonna give Iron Fist 3 episodes before I get dissapointed in the lack of violence.

and here's the original hallway fight that started the trend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B66feInucFY

fun fact, they do camera tricks that if you're the kinda fucker (like me) look like they're trying to make multiple takes look like one take, but it's actually just to hide switching between Charlie Cox and his stunt double.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was really hoping for Iron Fist to basically be Daredevil minus the grim.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

The first four episodes of DD S2 are some of the best stuff ever filmed by Marvel so don't sleep on that.

I cried like a baby during Punisher's speech at the end of episode 4 and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Lurdiak posted:

I was really hoping for Iron Fist to basically be Daredevil minus the grim.

:same:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That chuckle he gives right after he pulls the trigger is amazing. I'm really sad they won't take at least him to the big screen. The guy does a great job as Daredevil and I really want him to hang out with Spider-Man

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "other" X-Men TV series has been given a title, Gifted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EW says it's just a working title for now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well even so, that's not a bad name for it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Amazon fixed The Tick's costume for the full show, looks a lot better than the weirdly overdetailed one from the pilot.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dacap posted:

Amazon fixed The Tick's costume for the full show, looks a lot better than the weirdly overdetailed one from the pilot.

Oh good, I wasn't sure if it had made it out of Amazon pilot season or not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dacap posted:

I just don't know why anyone cares about this show. There's no way it can touch the cartoon. The other live-action show sure didn't.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't know why anyone cares about this show. There's no way it can touch the cartoon. The other live-action show sure didn't.

I still enjoyed the live-action show as it's own thing. Patrick warburton was such ideal casting that it worked.

I already have Venture Bros as the spiritual sequel to the cartoon

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Every iteration of the Tick has been great in it's own way and different enough while maintaining the spirit of the Tick. It kinda reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide in that way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

The pilot was fantastic.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Every iteration of the Tick has been great in it's own way and different enough while maintaining the spirit of the Tick. It kinda reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide in that way.

That's intentional. Also Edlund is the showrunner on this so I'll trust the creator's vision.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
It definitely has a darker tone like the original comics run, which is still potentially my favorite Tick.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm guessing you didn't see the pilot? It's not touching the cartoon. It's doing it's own thing.

Arthur spends the whole episode wondering if the guy in the blue suit is even real because he is suffering PTSD from having seen his world's most famous heroes killed by being blinded by weaponized syphilis then shot in their faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Nipponophile posted:

I'm guessing you didn't see the pilot? It's not touching the cartoon. It's doing it's own thing.

Arthur spends the whole episode wondering if the guy in the blue suit is even real because he is suffering PTSD from having seen his world's most famous heroes killed by being blinded by weaponized syphilis then shot in their faces.

There's a sentence I didn't expect to read today.