Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Finding out that Meaty Martha was literally autistic took a lot of the fun out of it, imo. I just kinda felt bad for him at the end, especially when he was driven off the forum by people making "your mom" jokes that he took really personally, like he didn't get that they were dumb jokes and thought they were actually insulting his mother as a person. RIP, Meaty Martha.

The closest thing we have now is Boourns, who's just tedious.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

what? no meaty martha wasn't a mod, i think lowtax garbage day renamed some guy with a tiny bug username to that

brother jonathan was the mod, and was made a mod due to the quality of his reports. after he was demodded he kept showing up to snark and say "the forums are going to poo poo!! i told you this would happen!!"

MM was briefly made QCS mod, as a joke, but yeah BJ was decent-but-exceedingly-lame train mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The ongoing 'MisterBibs proves himself an idiot' saga is entertaining, but frustrating.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I liked BroJo. I only saw him in the meme thread tho, and thought the forbidden meme gimmick was great.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

I liked BroJo. I only saw him in the meme thread tho, and thought the forbidden meme gimmick was great.

Well you were wrong?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Meaty Martha/No Your Other Left/A Ting Bug was briefly a QCS mod, which some admin admitted was both a joke, and an attempt to solicit a meltdown they could perma him for. They Xylo decided to just ban him every time he made a report instead.

Also he's still around.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well you were wrong?

How many times did you lose the coin flip?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Most won't remember this, but was Brother Jonathan the goon who organized that crazy secret spy scavenger hunt for his son? A bunch of goons got in on it, it was his son getting a letter and going on some secret spy mission to uncover something, and I think he got a puppy at the end of it all.

Great thread.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Most won't remember this, but was Brother Jonathan the goon who organized that crazy secret spy scavenger hunt for his son? A bunch of goons got in on it, it was his son getting a letter and going on some secret spy mission to uncover something, and I think he got a puppy at the end of it all.

Great thread.

I'd be amazed if BroJo reproduced, since it was pretty commonly accepted that this video perfectly described him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

BroJo did throw his toys out the pram when goons were making GBS threads up the memes thread. Ended up creating a list of people not allowed to post in the thread, which of course led to goons deliberately trying to get on the list.

Only ever probation I've had.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ludicro posted:

BroJo did throw his toys out the pram when goons were making GBS threads up the memes thread. Ended up creating a list of people not allowed to post in the thread, which of course led to goons deliberately trying to get on the list.

Only ever probation I've had.

It was hilarious, and that was the heyday of the meme thread imo.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I all I remember of BroJon was that people made fun of him for being a train autist. Which seems kinda lame, both the trans and giving him poo poo about it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My main memory of BroJo is him becoming increasingly unhinged like an Edgar Allen Poe character until he was demodded, because people kept posting "nig nog tryna get a handbeezy" at him in every thread.

s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
could anyone help me out and link me that saga that i see gets posted all the time where a bunch of goons did a bunch of space drugs and live posted their decent in to madness?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

fool_of_sound posted:

Meaty Martha/No Your Other Left/A Ting Bug was briefly a QCS mod, which some admin admitted was both a joke, and an attempt to solicit a meltdown they could perma him for. They Xylo decided to just ban him every time he made a report instead.

Also he's still around.

They're a bad reporter or something now and still occasionally report things to which the usual response was 🙄

Red shirt was one of my favorite behind the scenes meltdowns. Everyone was telling him to dial it back a notch and he was all "it's okay I'll be the Bad Cop I can handle it :downs:". He could neither handle it and it wasn't okay.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the thing i mostly remember about red shirt was being busy for about 3 days and coming back to the mod forum to find out a new mod had been made, gone crazy and then demodded all in that time period

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
god bless franco, he tried his hardest to make the dude calm down

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Absolute power corrupts absolutely

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phlegmish posted:

https://www.clevelandart.org/art/2012.58

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

the thing i mostly remember about red shirt was being busy for about 3 days and coming back to the mod forum to find out a new mod had been made, gone crazy and then demodded all in that time period

The similar story of el spider's short modship was better because he wrote a bunch of Dear Richard letters to Lowtax via probation messages.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Phlegmish posted:

Minor power corrupts even more

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

The similar story of el spider's short modship was better because he wrote a bunch of Dear Richard letters to Lowtax via probation messages.
that was incredible

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

I'm sobbing with laughter send help

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The el spider skirmish is when we lost Dogcrash Truther, too. :smith:

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

What exactly happened to DCT? I remember a byob thread about it

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I'd like to know too, this is a legend I have never heard

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That episode was a thing of terrible beauty. Guy unfamiliar with GBS made a mod of GBS, starts off okay, hits a peak and then plummets to Earth in a fiery explosion which takes out several other mods as collateral damage.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

what? no meaty martha wasn't a mod, i think lowtax garbage day renamed some guy with a tiny bug username to that

brother jonathan was the mod, and was made a mod due to the quality of his reports. after he was demodded he kept showing up to snark and say "the forums are going to poo poo!! i told you this would happen!!"
Tale as old as time...

Malign, over 15 years ago, posted:

Richard,
It seems I have underestimated your ability to fail. For that, I apologize. Not to you, but to the people who would enjoyed seeing me tearing your little world apart just that much more. It's a shame, really, that you ignored all of my warnings. Perhaps, if you had just a few brain cells left that weren't circling the bowl, you would have realized how pointless and counterproductive this whole thing was and quit a long time ago. This little venture of yours has failed on every level. On a personal level, for example, have you noticed that the very people you profess to hate have infested your site? They are utterly devoid of reason, their minds deluded with lies and ignorance. Their perceptions are hard-coded in a language they will never understand. Yet, these empty shells have flocked here, and what's even more amusing about it is, they emulate you. They've taken the worst things about you, namely your personality and humor, and twisted it into something far more repugnant than even you are capable of being. One bad joke becomes one thousand hideous hybrids, and it spreads like a virus. This is your audience, Richard, and they love you. That isn't very important, though. I am sure you don't care, as long as they're lined up at the trough. What is important, however, is this.

I would guess that you take as much enjoyment as anyone might at seeing these ridiculous business models fail like the insane fantasies they were. The pseudo reality of Internet commerce has finally been perceived for what it is, and the only people left are those who were lucky, smart or both. Now, being exposed to so much talk of this, for what, like over a loving year now, have you ever stopped to consider how you ever came to the conclusion that a parasite like yourself could possibly hope to survive in this environment? The corporate tit is gone, and you are completely incapable of surviving on your own. You think these failed companies had stupid business models? How about yours? I knew the advertising market was going to collapse years ago, because it's based on the assumption that banners are effective. Think about it.. You are entirely dependant on advertising.. yet, the people you try to attract are people who aren't going to click on, let alone buy whatever stupid crap that is being advertised. I am sure most of the clicks you have gotten have been sympathy clicks. Did you actually think that it was going to last forever? Everybody knows it doesn't loving work, and most sites have to beg their readers to click, just to pay the server bill. Did you think corporations weren't going to notice that no one was buying their products? You're an idiot, Richard, and I sincerely mean that. The contemptuously stupid decisions you made regarding the various networks you joined don't matter at all because the entire idea was flawed from the start. Enjoy your last moments as a free man. You'll soon be shovelling poo poo for the rest of your life at some nameless corporation, a vacant look forever etched upon your face.

Years from now, when you're no better off than when you started, when it finally hits you that it's all been nothing but a wasted lie, think of me. Think of me, Richard, and when you do, realize that I was the only beacon of logic and truth in this sad menagerie. You seem predestined for failure, however, so I doubt there is anything one can do for you. Just remember, when the joy is gone, when you're clawing at the boundaries of your little world, you always had a choice.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

Tale as old as time...

This reads like if Elliot Rodger was somehow even more of a virgin.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"You are entirely dependent on advertising" he screams at the owner of the most well-known paid membership site on the Internet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

"You are entirely dependent on advertising" he screams at the owner of the most well-known paid membership site on the Internet.

Bodybuilder.net?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

As deranged as whatever that was, was, lowtax has said that the vast majority of the site's income comes from ads on the front page.

Not sure if that's still true though v0v

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Bodybuilder.net?

I appreciate their 8 days a week pricing model

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

exploded mummy posted:

I appreciate their 8 days a week pricing model

Hahaha, gently caress, that thread is the only reason I even know that site exists.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hahaha, gently caress, that thread is the only reason I even know that site exists.
Yeah it put them on the map in my book.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah it put them on the map in my book.

That thread is the only time I've actually read bodybuilders.net, but haven't they been cited several times as "breaking" various stories?

Thread, for posterity, because it's been a few pages and it's really funny: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107926751

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the incident where someone posted a thread in FYAD exclaiming that there were no permabans on the front page of the leper's colony. There was one shortly after that :laugh:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

That was posted before the paywall went up. It might have been around the time of the eFront fiasco.

Which is a bit of a saga where SA and Penny Arcade were robbed by Sam Jain, but they were just his first hit. He later went on to steal around 160 million with ransomware.
http://www.cnbc.com/2013/10/16/gone-in-the-gulf-the-anti-social-network.html

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So there's​ a SA-mart thread where some guy was trying to sell his 2000 regdate account and someone he scammed out of $85 in 2007 showed up and posted his name and hometown.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So there's​ a SA-mart thread where some guy was trying to sell his 2000 regdate account and someone he scammed out of $85 in 2007 showed up and posted his name and hometown.

Why the gently caress would anyone buy a 2000 regdate? Or any regdate (except maybe one of those ones floating around that has Dec. 31, 1969)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Heath posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone buy a 2000 regdate? Or any regdate (except maybe one of those ones floating around that has Dec. 31, 1969)

The best part is that he holds up his zero probations/bans as a good thing (particularly since I think account transferring is against the rules itself).