Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I get that; in fiction if you're trying to do a sort of deal with the devil you're probably going to lose everything and gain nothing. But in a game that kind of blatant dishonesty is not really healthy. And it was very obviously a trap scenario even from day one, where pretty much right away they knew they were going to get hosed on the deal, but there was no way that undeserved bad poo poo wasn't happening to the players -- and as someone that has played D&D on both sides of the table, I found it frustrating to listen to.

I mean I think it's just a personal problem for me.

eta: I think the other thing that bothered me is Griffin hamstringing the character abilities apropos of nothing, i.e. dampening Merle's spells with no real context for it. If you're worried that your campaign isn't hard enough for a 12th level party, you totally do not make it harder by stripping powers away from them.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

eta: I think the other thing that bothered me is Griffin hamstringing the character abilities apropos of nothing, i.e. dampening Merle's spells with no real context for it. If you're worried that your campaign isn't hard enough for a 12th level party, you totally do not make it harder by stripping powers away from them.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure the reason for that involves The Hunger. It was more of a side effect of the main story than anything else.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bramblepelt is another good introduction for a newbie. Or some of the early Money Zone jingles like Griffin's Space Jam are absolute gold.

[edit]I forgot they've been releasing MBMBaM samplers for years. Start people off with those.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 12, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I've listened to it like 12 times this week so I have to also toss Dr. Strings into the starter bucket

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This is my go-to McElroy gateway drug. It's nice and short, and the animation is more engaging than a regular podcast clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR0Ubck0IRA

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

RyokoTK posted:

eta: I think the other thing that bothered me is Griffin hamstringing the character abilities apropos of nothing, i.e. dampening Merle's spells with no real context for it.

I think the last episode proved that it wasn't Griffin dicking Merle over but rather foreshadowing that The Hunger is somehow blocking communication between planes. Kravitz tried to reach out to the Raven Queen and got zero response, and was also unable to open a rift

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I hope when Travis DMs he's a huge stickler for spell rules as payback for being the most forced to follow the rules. If the casters had to pay attention to cast times and actually buy spell components instead of just suddenly having a 1000 gp sapphire I think they'd all be as frustrated as Clint which would be fun

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I hope when Travis DMs he's a huge stickler for spell rules as payback for being the most forced to follow the rules. If the casters had to pay attention to cast times and actually buy spell components instead of just suddenly having a 1000 gp sapphire I think they'd all be as frustrated as Clint which would be fun

Poor Merle, always poo poo on for not casting spells but never allowed to cast spells.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I thought you didn't need components so long as you had a focus, though, which they both have. Taako has the Umbra Staff, and Merle has the Extreme Teen Bible. Note that I have not played much D&D, but that was my understanding of 5e rules.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SpacePig posted:

I thought you didn't need components so long as you had a focus, though, which they both have. Taako has the Umbra Staff, and Merle has the Extreme Teen Bible. Note that I have not played much D&D, but that was my understanding of 5e rules.

You can't use a focus in lieu of components with a gold cost.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Travis is so limited in TAZ that he doesn't even get to do half the things a fighter of his level should be able to pull off. It's probably just because I'm playing a Fighter currently, but it drives me crazy how Magnus by Griffin constantly shutting him down while letting the casters do whatever the gently caress they want, combined with Travis being relatively new to the game and not really understanding his options.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
All I can say is thank goodness that Magnus isn't a champion, because Travis would be bored out of his skull.

Come to think of it, has Taako ever even used his transmutation specialty? It ties into his backstory but I'm struggling to remember any points where he actually uses his ability to turn stuff into other stuff.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It did make a small appearance recently. Nothing major, but he did turn himself into a goddamn Tyrannosaurus Rex.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Deport The Irish posted:

Travis is so limited in TAZ that he doesn't even get to do half the things a fighter of his level should be able to pull off. It's probably just because I'm playing a Fighter currently, but it drives me crazy how Magnus by Griffin constantly shutting him down while letting the casters do whatever the gently caress they want, combined with Travis being relatively new to the game and not really understanding his options.

Travis isn't super aware of his class talents though, which is kind of a problem if you're a Fighter since you have so few to play with that you need to really push them to their limits.

My favorite is when he uses Action Surge because he and Griffin are both under the assumption he can only get one additional attack out of it :ughh: And also never using Indomitable I think?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
He's also used his thief skills maybe once

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ariong posted:

It did make a small appearance recently. Nothing major, but he did turn himself into a goddamn Tyrannosaurus Rex.

That's a regular wizard spell that any wizard can cast (though it fits in nicely with Taako's character). As a transmuter, Taako has the ability to turn wood, stone, or metal into one another for an hour or so. I'm trying to think if it's ever come up since it's one of the weaker wizard specialization abilities but shines when you have a DM that's permissive with creative solutions (which Griffin is).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I haven't listened to much but I stumbled upon Wizard Swears yesterday and nearly died laughing,

e: also this dad name thing is good

basically anything where one or all of them just lose it completely

e: oh my god cake boss

e: oh poo poo theres multiple bits about cake boss

McDragon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 12, 2017

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

inthesto posted:

That's a regular wizard spell that any wizard can cast (though it fits in nicely with Taako's character). As a transmuter, Taako has the ability to turn wood, stone, or metal into one another for an hour or so. I'm trying to think if it's ever come up since it's one of the weaker wizard specialization abilities but shines when you have a DM that's permissive with creative solutions (which Griffin is).

I believe Taako uses that during the 11th Hour to reinforce a fence?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

should've turned mani-magus into metal

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

RyokoTK posted:

Travis isn't super aware of his class talents though, which is kind of a problem if you're a Fighter since you have so few to play with that you need to really push them to their limits.

My favorite is when he uses Action Surge because he and Griffin are both under the assumption he can only get one additional attack out of it :ughh: And also never using Indomitable I think?

Sounds like the problem then is less Griffin is stricter with Travis and more that Travis just hasn't spent any time actually reading about what his character can do gameplay wise. Which is something none of them have done much of, but it seems with Travis being frustrated with limitations, he'd take some time for it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh yeah, for sure, the players are responsible for exercising the limits of their classes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

inthesto posted:

Seriously? Frickin wizards man. Well, I definitely remember him transforming into a hawk or an eagle or something during the first episode of The Suffering Game, and him saying that he could do that whenever he wanted because he is a transmutation guy. :10bux: says he'll never use it again.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ariong posted:

Seriously? Frickin wizards man. Well, I definitely remember him transforming into a hawk or an eagle or something during the first episode of The Suffering Game, and him saying that he could do that whenever he wanted because he is a transmutation guy. :10bux: says he'll never use it again.

Being able to polymorph into a weenie creature for free is indeed an ability Taako gets as a transmutation wizard at level 10. The material change was from level 2.

(The best level 2 wizard ability comes from divination, where you get to store d20 rolls and switch them out twice a day, whenever you want)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wizards can freely shape change at 10, but only into weak creatures. Him using polymorph to change into a t-rex was the actual polymorph spell.

The only cheaty thing involved there is that none of them monitor concentration spells, among which is polymorph; and that means in part that if you get hit at all while the spell is live, you make a con save or lose the spell.

Polymorph is definitely a top choice for mid-level wizards though, that was smart play.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh! I've got it! The Red Robes created the Grand Relics so they could fight the Hunger! That's why, deep within the dark plane, something smiled. Because another one of the few things that could stand against it is about to be destroyed.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I really want Lucretia to be Lup in a new body that doesn't remember BBJ.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It fucks me up that Griffin is saying "Loop" when he says that name when he very probably means Lupé.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's LUP, as that's what the umbrella spelled out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ariong posted:

Oh! I've got it! The Red Robes created the Grand Relics so they could fight the Hunger! That's why, deep within the dark plane, something smiled. Because another one of the few things that could stand against it is about to be destroyed.

Didn't the cup say they used to all be one thing?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was secretly hoping for a final battle against an unhinged Davenport in which he uses every relic against them one by one in a multi-phase boss battle, but that's not looking so likely after the most recent turn events (though I suppose it could still happen...)

Or, better, yet, THB gets to use the seven relics during a final fight...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

timp posted:

I was secretly hoping for a final battle against an unhinged Davenport in which he uses every relic against them one by one in a multi-phase boss battle, but that's not looking so likely after the most recent turn events (though I suppose it could still happen...)

Or, better, yet, THB gets to use the seven relics during a final fight...

I was kind of expecting that they weren't destroying the relics at all, but instead just hiding them away for personal use.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

I was kind of expecting that they weren't destroying the relics at all, but instead just hiding them away for personal use.

Exactly; my wishful-thinking scenario above hinges on that. Either way I still feel pretty confident in saying that has to be the case. Griffin always describes the relic "destroying" process as: 1. Put relic in a ball, 2. Light comes out of the ball, then 3. The artifact is gone. That sounds purposely ambiguous to me, like answering the question "Will we see Barry Bluejeans again?" with "Barry Bluejeans is dead" rather than "We won't be seeing Barry Bluejeans again". I've also noticed that he always makes sure to confirm that yes, they DO want to hand the relic over, almost as if at some point when that comes back to bite them in the rear end he can say "I gave you a choice! :v:"

Also how loving cool would it be to see them all used together? Or to give them to one of The Boys so they can let their imagination run wild with them?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

Griffin always describes the relic "destroying" process as: 1. Put relic in a ball, 2. Light comes out of the ball, then 3. The artifact is gone.

There's also a portion of it where Davenport's alone with the relic while transporting it. I think that's where people have been speculating a swap for a lookalike takes place. I think that's what Taako asked to see that Davenport wouldn't let him.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

PostNouveau posted:

There's also a portion of it where Davenport's alone with the relic while transporting it. I think that's where people have been speculating a swap for a lookalike takes place. I think that's what Taako asked to see that Davenport wouldn't let him.

Probably not anything interesting enough to spend a 4th level spell slot on Arcane Eye.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PostNouveau posted:

Is there anything in the documentaries Now You See Me which would be a direct inspiration for this kind of thing because that would really be a great topper.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It would be an inverse Now You See Me where instead of the relics being destroyed by Actual Wizard Magic it was slight of hand all along

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Working out whether the Bureau of Balance is destroying or concealing the artefacts is not a difficult question to answer, given the resources the players have available. Locate Object was cast by Merle all the way back in the Rockport Limited arc, and seems tailor made for the situation. But there are countless other alternatives, including the Drawmij's Instant Summons spell that Taaco cast this episode to scam Garfield. So the reason they haven't done these things is either because they don't care, or because they trust Griffin to take it somewhere cool and don't want to ruin it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Undead Hippo posted:

Working out whether the Bureau of Balance is destroying or concealing the artefacts is not a difficult question to answer, given the resources the players have available. Locate Object was cast by Merle all the way back in the Rockport Limited arc, and seems tailor made for the situation. But there are countless other alternatives, including the Drawmij's Instant Summons spell that Taaco cast this episode to scam Garfield. So the reason they haven't done these things is either because they don't care, or because they trust Griffin to take it somewhere cool and don't want to ruin it.

Or they haven't thought of doing those things with the relics :v:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It would be an inverse Now You See Me where instead of the relics being destroyed by Actual Wizard Magic it was slight of hand all along

Oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Today's tales from the clown box is great if only to see Griffin try to climb a short wall