Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I did not much like the first Mass Effect game since I went basically pure guns and found it really boring as a result. Since then I basically avoided the main trilogy.

Now, the opportunity to jump into the franchise at basically a new starting point has me intrigued, so I was curious to know how the series' gameplay has improved since the first game and if Andromeda could appeal to somebody who was turned off at an earlier juncture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SgtSteel91 posted:

So take this with a grain of salt if you want but the backwards gun may have been deliberate beacuse of some bizzare ESRB censorship issue. Apparently advertisement videos like the PAX gameplay showcase are not allowed to show a gun being pointed directly at the camera for fear of being threatening in nature of the subject matter towards an audience. So this was a workaround Bioware did specifically for the presentation, attempting to not make it obvious.

It's funny either way. The fact that people are latching on to these and doing their best to create "lol gmae is bad" memes is telling that they're not interested in discussing the game at all.

The only thing I've seen that I don't like is that you can't change companion guns. I guess they're all going like Varric having a weapon that just gets better rather than having to upgrade and give them others.

I guess everyone has their own Jessie now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arglebargle III posted:

Making the "it sold a lot of units therefore it's good" argument before release, a bold strategy!

It doesn't matter if it's good or not, my post is a reply to the general atmosphere of "this game is gonna fail hard heh :shepface:"

Game could be mediocre, yeah, but the odds of it failing financially and critically are slim to none.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wonder if my i5 2500k will hold up for this. I have a 1070 in the machine. But I've seen the CPU be a noticeable bottleneck on some newer titles.

I could play it on the ps4 pro. But I assume it's going to be locked at 30fps. =/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I did not much like the first Mass Effect game since I went basically pure guns and found it really boring as a result. Since then I basically avoided the main trilogy.

Now, the opportunity to jump into the franchise at basically a new starting point has me intrigued, so I was curious to know how the series' gameplay has improved since the first game and if Andromeda could appeal to somebody who was turned off at an earlier juncture?

The gameplay got a whole lot better. And this game won't lock you into just one set of powers since you'll be able to choose any of them that appeal to you. It appears that it's also going to be less "hunker down in cover" and more about moving around the battlefield.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Regardless of what people think about the story, the gameplay has continuously improved since the first game. The different weapons feel quite different from each other now, and the gunplay feels much better. The powers feel less like MMO abilities and more like cool shooter abilities. It's hard to explain without playing it or a video I think but the combat gameplay is now more "shootery" than "RPG-y". I think you should buy the game on release day for Origin, play it for a couple hours, and then either keep it, or return it under the great game guarantee to never be seen again, or return it and wait for a sale if it was ok but not worth 60bux to you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Vanguard Charge Vanguard Charge Vanguard Charge Vanguard Charge Vanguard Charge

loving DO IT

loving VANGUARD CHARGE EVERY DAY EVERY DAY EVERY DAY

gently caress chest high walls you are your own wall by charging and by wall I mean energy rocket but your body is the ammo and your soul the ignition

IGNITE YOUR SOUL VANGUARD CHARGE

Seriously going from ME1 and its various methods of "Just shoot them" to ME2 and being able to Charge enemies was the best ring of endorsement I could have ever gotten from these games.

I think ME1 has the better story of the three, but ME2 is most definitely the best single player game. ME3's multiplayer is just really loving excellent and I'm super proud I was onboard that bullshit train from day one.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Even ME2s soldier build is way more fun than any ME1 class. Combat was pretty much a complete overhaul of everything for ME2. ME2/ME3 combat still holds up as some of the best shooter gameplay to this day IMO. Only thing more fun for me was DOOM.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I did not much like the first Mass Effect game since I went basically pure guns
Found your problem. Shooting in ME1 is the worst in the series, compounded with the lovely inventory management. They got better as time went on though and by ME3 even if you were playing as a soldier all guns all the time you could get combos off your teammates and explode things in very satisfying ways. MEA looks to be more of that, now with added mobility from a jetpack.

Not sure what platform you're on, but you can probably pick up a copy of ME3 for really cheap. Since you didn't play the series ignore the SP and try out the MP - that's gonna give you an idea of how MEA's combat will go (minus jetjumping). There are also some combat/gameplay videos out now you can look at to see if it's something you might like, with the caveat that the devs playing the game are really bad at it :v:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

frajaq posted:

I loving wish someone like Obsidian would make a scifi game but they seem to only do fantasy stuff these days :smith:

Good news is Obsidian's parent company bought out White Wolf and recieved all the assets for Vampire: Bloodlines. If we're lucky, we'll get a sequel by Obsidian to one of the best 2004 western fps/RPGs.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

If anyone is playing ME1 again, no joke, just cheat. Give yourself ridiculous credits, levels, powers, whatever, just go and enjoy the story.

a bit OT: I remember that the gameplay lead of ME2 had a blog or something which she commented a lot about the changes, how they wanted to greatly increase the pace and create a bit of tactics to make it more engaging, and was pretty much one of the main people around that made the massive improvements in 2 and 3. Googling about her, she left Bioware after ME3 in 2011 and was the main welp I had with Andromeda, but thankfully her approach seemed to stay on.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Codependent Poster posted:

It's funny either way. The fact that people are latching on to these and doing their best to create "lol gmae is bad" memes is telling that they're not interested in discussing the game at all.

The only thing I've seen that I don't like is that you can't change companion guns. I guess they're all going like Varric having a weapon that just gets better rather than having to upgrade and give them others.

I guess everyone has their own Jessie now.

To be honest, we don't have much to talk about until we receive release/demo footage that isn't hidden behind press release asskissing. Which is bioware's fault because they made sure to be quiet about it until right before release.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Thor-Stryker posted:

Good news is Obsidian's parent company bought out White Wolf and recieved all the assets for Vampire: Bloodlines. If we're lucky, we'll get a sequel by Obsidian to one of the best 2004 western fps/RPGs.
Not happening in the next 4 years, in all likelihood

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I'm now inspired to blitz through 1, 2, and 3 before release.

Paragon run let's roll.

Good luck getting it done in time. I've been slowly working through a trilogy replay the last month or so. Not sure if I'll finish before I have to leave town on Wednesday.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not happening in the next 4 years, in all likelihood

It'll be kickstarted or crowdfunded sometime around 2018-19 and release around 4 years later.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Thor-Stryker posted:

Obsidian doesn't have a parent company; they're independent. Paradox published Pillars and Tyranny, but that relationship isn't guaranteed to continue, especially as Obsidian is apparently interested in becoming a publisher themselves.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Thor-Stryker posted:

Paradox Interactive doesn't actually own Obsidian.

efb

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I can't see them loving up the multiplayer, but 60 bucks just for multi is harrumphing. I feel like five bucks to play the demo and a mirror's edge game I had no idea existed is a good move

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I look forward to this being my next RPG addiction since beating TW3 last year!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kainser posted:

Paradox Interactive doesn't actually own Obsidian.

efb

Yeah I got confused there for a moment wondering what they were talking about.

Not that I would mind even one bit if that very thing happened.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Norns posted:

Wonder if my i5 2500k will hold up for this. I have a 1070 in the machine. But I've seen the CPU be a noticeable bottleneck on some newer titles.

I could play it on the ps4 pro. But I assume it's going to be locked at 30fps. =/

You'll be fine if the 2500k is overclocked. I have a similar setup, but with a 970 and battlefield 1 runs on high/ultra at 1080 with 50+ fps most of the time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Crabtree posted:

To be honest, we don't have much to talk about until we receive release/demo footage that isn't hidden behind press release asskissing. Which is bioware's fault because they made sure to be quiet about it until right before release.

There were two hour long twitch streams the past couple of days. Plenty to talk about from them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Going pure guns in ME1 is actually good because you can have your squad mates cast Overload and then you shoot everything. Playing ME1 for the combat is like reading Playboy for the ads.

cloganart
Feb 10, 2017

precision posted:

Going pure guns in ME1 is actually good because you can have your squad mates cast Overload and then you shoot everything. Playing ME1 for the combat is like reading Playboy for the ads.

*implying you didn't like those Jockstrap ads!*

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Transmetropolitan posted:

If anyone is playing ME1 again, no joke, just cheat. Give yourself ridiculous credits, levels, powers, whatever, just go and enjoy the story.

I can't enjoy ME1's story anymore once I realized that Sovereign was a loving idiot. The rest of it is fine, but god drat that ruined it for me.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I have very little recollection of ME1 gameplay except Immunity + Marksman dominated everything. I made an Infiltrator but I have no recollection of ever using sniper rifles.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Turbl posted:

CC lookin good

This is what this guy's dad came out as in case anyone was dying to know

He must be so proud.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ME1 is kind of fun if you cheat yourself 10 million credits and buy all the spectre guns.

And I kind of liked the hacking minigame on the PC version

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Turbl posted:

This is what this guy's dad came out as in case anyone was dying to know

He must be so proud.

Dad is still a handsome gently caress... drat.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

And I kind of liked the hacking minigame on the PC version

Yeah it was pretty inoffensive. Not like ME2 where the insta-solve mod is a must-have imo

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Deakul posted:

It was the mother's poor genetics.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Deakul posted:

character creator looking extremely powerful there huh

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Milky Moor posted:

seriously andromeda is the fourth goddamn mass effect game and the squad is still

male vaguely-swarthy human
female career-minded human
edgy turian
brainy asari
tough krogan

i guess they swapped out the nerdy quarian for jaal, whom we know nothing about whatsoever

it's not only safe, but it's blatantly aping ME1's party.

if i was inclined to dumb conspiracy theories, it almost feels like there are people on the ME:A team who really don't like certain elements of Mass Effect: quarians, geth, hanar, elcor, batarians, etc.

kaidan was a very-sweaty human

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For real, is that a real thing you can make in the Character Creator

Because if so I might not have to wear a helmet

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CottonWolf posted:

It was the mother's poor genetics.

Drell human miscegenation

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

RentACop posted:

I can't see them loving up the multiplayer, but 60 bucks just for multi is harrumphing. I feel like five bucks to play the demo and a mirror's edge game I had no idea existed is a good move

I never played the first one.. I suppose this would probably be as good an opportunity as any

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

Just out of curiosity, how many of you playing early with EA access haven't already pre-ordered, and are waiting on the demo to form your opinions of the game?

I'm paying for EA Access because I'm not sure my PC can run Andromeda and want to test it out before I buy the game. And if it does work, at least I can play 10 hours of the game. I'm not pre-ordering the game in any case.

I'm one of the people who don't care about Witcher 3. I played Witcher 2, and didn't like the combat, the setting, and especially Geralt. I don't doubt that TW3 is a great RPG, but the combat is apparently still not the game's greatest strength, and since it still features Geralt I simply have no interest in playing it. But I'm not bothered by comparisons to Andromeda. It's cited as an inspiration by the Bioware people, so it's a fair comparison.

I'm only puzzled that nobody mentions Obsidian's Tyranny as one of the games with the very best branching storylines. You can play through it in about 20 hours, but it's absolutely worth it to play through it four times, because there are 4 radically diverging story paths after the first act.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Paradox Interactive bought White Wolf. Paradox don't own Obsidian and their only involvement has been as the publisher for PoE.

So far the new White Wolf is humping the corpse of the original and showing why having an edgelord who thinks he's Swedish Dracula as the face of your company is a bad idea. They are fixated on Bloodlines though, so that might happen if they sell the license to the right company.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I'm only puzzled that nobody mentions Obsidian's Tyranny as one of the games with the very best branching storylines. You can play through it in about 20 hours, but it's absolutely worth it to play through it four times, because there are 4 radically diverging story paths after the first act.

Eh, I played Tyranny and I am thinking that Obsidian is relying a bit too much on their reputation as "great storytellers" and getting a tad comfortable with their thing because I felt the endings were very weak in execution in comparison to the set-up to them (and the great reactivity of the story overall). In hindsight, the gameplay was pretty much just serviceable and I really hope they don't get stuck to that mindset and try to do more than just "we really like D&D".

Thinking about it, Obsidian had a lot of passes based on their past glories, but it seems they have finally found their stride with Pillars of Eternity being a well built game without a lot of the problems that plagued them in the past, so good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Transmetropolitan posted:

Eh, I played Tyranny and I am thinking that Obsidian is relying a bit too much on their reputation as "great storytellers" and getting a tad comfortable with their thing because I felt the endings were very weak in execution in comparison to the set-up to them (and the great reactivity of the story overall). In hindsight, the gameplay was pretty much just serviceable and I really hope they don't get stuck to that mindset and try to do more than just "we really like D&D".

Thinking about it, Obsidian had a lot of passes based on their past glories, but it seems they have finally found their stride with Pillars of Eternity being a well built game without a lot of the problems that plagued them in the past, so good for them.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say Obsidian gets any passes for anything, let alone a lot of passes. Their games are scrutinized more critically by gamers than almost anyones :v: