Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Ouch. :( that's rough. Super cool of you to help him replace his army though!

So when I went to buy paints, this little guy was calling to me so I adopted him.

I still have to smooth out the greenstuff and add some details and stuff, but I think it came out alright. :shobon:

I love making custom stuff on my spacemans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Aww, little Tau dogside.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey y'all, I have a new painter question for you. I've never worked with masking tape or lines before, but would appreciate some guidance. I've basecoated some UCM Frigates (prime white Krylon, then go over with the AP Crystal Blue rattlecan color primer). Now I've stuck some masking tape on (2mm Tamiya). I've heard my next step is to paint over the masking tape with the basecoat to stop bleeding under the edges (particularly because I'm worried about the tape not being perfectly stuck as I went over some of the corners and edges and valleys on this frigate). Is it better to do that with the rattle spray color, or a brush? I can do either, since I have the crystal blue rattle and I have the crystal blue in a dropper. I could also do a gloss or other coat on top afterwards - is that necessary?

(One day I'll get an airbrush, just not anytime remotely soon.)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Arcturas posted:

Hey y'all, I have a new painter question for you. I've never worked with masking tape or lines before, but would appreciate some guidance. I've basecoated some UCM Frigates (prime white Krylon, then go over with the AP Crystal Blue rattlecan color primer). Now I've stuck some masking tape on (2mm Tamiya). I've heard my next step is to paint over the masking tape with the basecoat to stop bleeding under the edges (particularly because I'm worried about the tape not being perfectly stuck as I went over some of the corners and edges and valleys on this frigate). Is it better to do that with the rattle spray color, or a brush? I can do either, since I have the crystal blue rattle and I have the crystal blue in a dropper. I could also do a gloss or other coat on top afterwards - is that necessary?

(One day I'll get an airbrush, just not anytime remotely soon.)

I'd recommend doing it with a spray if you're able. This gives it a more uniform, smooth coat, and doesn't run the risk of accidentally pulling up the tape like you might do with a brush.

When you pull off the masking tape, there's a chance that some of the paint along the edge will come off. I don't know if gloss would help with that or not, but it might be worth a try. Consider testing it out on something first though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

drat, these are some old rear end paints

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

Those are the same bottles that P3 paint comes in now. It's a shame, I like those pots (even though they're not droppers)

Yet another addition to the long list of poor decisions by GW.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Indeed - I don't recognise those on the far left, but I had brothers-of-friends who had the inks. The middle-right is quite familiar to me, but when I got old enough to have disposable income (as opposed to purely hand-me-downs) they'd changed to those AWFUL screw tops.

EDIT: V nope you're right it was the hex flip-top.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 12, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

drat I'm so hard right now, those are some sexy paints! These and the hex pots that followed them (soft cap, not the bolter shell screw tops) are the best pots GW has ever used, there's a reason other companies still use them. Also the original Shining Gold has pretty much the best coverage out of all the GW golds I've tried (the new Balthazar gold is almost as good).

Pointless fun fact: I found out recently that Titillating Pink is actually fluorescent. This may be part of the reason they stopped producing it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Funnily enough I didn't actually join the dots but I've got a poo poo load of Coat d'Arms paints which was the company that produced them for GW in this era AFAIK - and honestly other than the actual hues they're really bad - a significant step down from Vallejo, P3 and probably on-par with Army Painter.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

HebrewMagic posted:

Might be lost forever though, his army was stolen as soon as he moved out. I'm quietly hoping to get him some of what he lost come his birthday/xmas.
We had a friend who played back in 3rd edition and had an awesome Tyranid army - this was back in the days when they were customizable as poo poo and totally awesome. Anyway, he'd converted all of his stuff to have wings. Not too much of his stuff was painted, but his conversions were totally rad, and he'd done it on just about everything. He was a construction contractor and one day he'd been working on a big house renovation project. They had this old dresser that they were taking to the dump, and had put it in the back of the pick-up truck, but because one of the other guys' truck was in the shop, he needed more seat space - to make room, he stuck his army boxes in the drawers of the junk dresser in the back. You can see where this is going. By the end of the day, they'd completely forgotten that the army was there, and when his partner drove the truck to the dump to get rid of the dresser, he lost his entire, lovingly converted Tyranid army. I think the only thing he didn't lose was like a gargoyle that had been on his painting table.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What is with nerds losing or getting their armies stolen because they store them in vehicles? Jesus every week I hear a story along those lines.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Fyrbrand posted:

What is with nerds losing or getting their armies stolen because they store them in vehicles? Jesus every week I hear a story along those lines.

My ex took my 3rd edition 40k starter box, with an extra box of assault marines when we broke up. Which was a really dick move considering she didn't even know how to play 40k or paint. I'M STILL BITTER ABOUT IT

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Southern Heel posted:

They're not as bad as the generation that followed.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any recommendations for buying a airbrush online if I live in Canada?

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 12, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fyrbrand posted:

People are stupid and leave them in the open in what looks like cases for carrying guns or other valuable equipment.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Eclipse Phase game travelled from Mars to Venus.

Made up Venus hemispheres.

They're ok, but how would I paint clouds better. I wound up using a fuzzy flat dry brush but it doesn't look quite right.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Ilor posted:

You can see where this is going. By the end of the day, they'd completely forgotten that the army was there, and when his partner drove the truck to the dump to get rid of the dresser, he lost his entire, lovingly converted Tyranid army.

Jesus, my heart goes out to him.

Fyrbrand posted:

Semi related I almost lost my CSM codex in a car accident last year, but my buddy fished it out of the back seats after the fact.

HebrewMagic fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 13, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm struggling to get the skin on this guy looking good - I feel like its lacking texture and its quite flat. I've been looking at the massivevoodoo paintjobs and ignoring that I didn't have quite the same colours as them, I just can't get the same life into it.

I was considering stippling a few different shades of transparent flesh tones to help, or some blue or orange shades in, any advice (other than strip and start again, looking at you xir :argh:)?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Pierzak posted:

As an Infinity player, if I can get the above mirror finish on my Nomads' helmets I'm totally gonna make them all neon and DaftPunky as gently caress.

This is kind of a old post but I was going through the thread looking at miniatures and this is the material you are looking for :

http://www.c1-models.com/c1-metalizer/

There's also some other materials like Alclad, but this is basically turn plastic chrome.

Not sure if other people have posted about this.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

ijyt posted:

I'm struggling to get the skin on this guy looking good - I feel like its lacking texture and its quite flat. I've been looking at the massivevoodoo paintjobs and ignoring that I didn't have quite the same colours as them, I just can't get the same life into it.

I was considering stippling a few different shades of transparent flesh tones to help, or some blue or orange shades in, any advice (other than strip and start again, looking at you xir :argh:)?

Anything we can do to up the contrast. Mix the darkest skin tone you have in there with purple (say, 2 dark skin, 1 purple ratio.) Mix some red or burnt sienna like colors into your mid tones and dilute it. Use it as a controlled wash, especially near that lip scar. Some red and purples getting mixed into the dark skin tone will help the lower lip stand out as well. I think the face is in a VERY good place, personally.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Purples are always good, imo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'll experiment with that, thanks Feeple. Feel like I'll be buying this bust again in a year just to try and paint it better :v:.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally finished the homemade Blood Rage token that I posted about a million years ago! I ended up making a 2-part mold since I added some detail on the back of it.

I was a little worried since my silicone was incredibly viscous, but the details came out fine.
Too bad the bottom of this cast came out hollow. I've changed the mold a bit so it should flow in there more easily.

Thing learned through all this: loving think about the order I do things in. Don't add stuff before detailing, just slap stuff, like the horns, on top of the details. Warm the silicone to room temperature to make it flow better. Keep the cats out of the room when you pour silicone. Your girlfriend WILL notice that small patch of fur you had to trim because it wanted to play with the stick you used to mix the silicone.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Infinity Haqq'Islam Drop Troop:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Bistromatic posted:

I did a colour test for my Dropfleet Shaltari today:

The dots could be cleaner but theres a million of them so i'll have to see how much i can be bothered on the actual ships.

I know this is late to the game here but I am gonna need you to tell me what you did to get that purple. That poo poo is like my painting white whale.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Rogue Trader Inquisitor Lord in Terminator Armor:

Trying my hand at matt varnishing and holy poo poo why didn't I do this sooner!?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

signalnoise posted:

I know this is late to the game here but I am gonna need you to tell me what you did to get that purple. That poo poo is like my painting white whale.

No problem at all, i enjoy the painting thread a lot so i tend to keep an eye on it even if i don't post.

I first did a gradient with Vallejo Model Air Gunmetal, Chainmail and Silver. Then i hit the front with Golden Permanent Violet Dark and finally gave everything a coat of Golden Dioxazine Purple, going lighter on the areas that already had violet on them. At that stage it's pretty glossy so i gave it a coat of satin varnish (an old can of GW Purity Seal in this case). For completeness sake: The dots are Golden Teal, the larger ones have a highlight with Rackham Patina. The gold is Golden Iridescent Gold.

I'll be doing a detailed step by step again when i paint the fleet. Though it'll be a lot less steps than the UCM.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Southern Heel posted:

Trying my hand at matt varnishing and holy poo poo why didn't I do this sooner!?

This guy's loving dope.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

Looking good! Please tell me you play Howling Griffons and he's an ally ;)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Crosspostin' from the 30k Thread.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Finished my test model for my Emperor's Children Scheme. I did the bolter black as a nod to the 40k colors, but I was considering doing it gold or maybe white. Not 100% sure. Definately going to do some pink armor on my inevitable 30 Combi-Plasma Vets.

One thing I am super impressed with is my new Foldio 2. Cartoonishly simple to use once I wanted a short YouTube video of a guy setting it up. The picture quality is out of this world for the effort put in, so if you are a person who has ever wanted to take pictures of your models I would definitely pick one up. Now to get good at painting so I have something to take pictures of!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

Looking good! Please tell me you play Howling Griffons and he's an ally ;)

Someone said that on the Oldhammer FB group too, ha! No, it was a custom chapter called Antiquator of Xerxes with a bunch of RT sculpts mixed in.

I thought about doing a Lamenter detachment back when I got into the hobby again a few years ago but it never really materialised other than this test mini:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm looking for advice or suggestions on this one. I'm trying to figure out how to paint the wings on these models

I'm trying to keep the blue/gold contrast as the focal point, but the wings are huge and grey. Any advice as to how to paint these in a way that's cool but keeps them low profile?

Here's the main scheme for reference:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Bistromatic posted:

I'll be doing a detailed step by step again when i paint the fleet. Though it'll be a lot less steps than the UCM.

Could you give me the exact model name or whatever of the Golden poo poo you use? Like, what line it is? Or could you link me to that line on dickblick.com?

Alternatively: https://www.amazon.com/Golden-0000954-0-Acrylic-10-Color-Transparent/dp/B00K5F6PVI Is that what you have? Looks like it would be a very cool replacement for my Ghost Tint paints. Are they airbrushable?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Booyah- posted:

I'm looking for advice or suggestions on this one. I'm trying to figure out how to paint the wings on these models

I'm trying to keep the blue/gold contrast as the focal point, but the wings are huge and grey. Any advice as to how to paint these in a way that's cool but keeps them low profile?

Here's the main scheme for reference:

Edge highlight with a brighter metal, wash with nuln oil, re-highlight to clean up. Then a further brighter highlight on the bits that would reciever the most light.

Or go true metallic metal and get hardcore

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I started blocking in colors and lines. I'm kinda liking the white pants instead of assless chaps going on, but that was more because black and white are easier to see.I really don't want to paint the First Order insignia on the folds of a jacket so if there's any suggestions on what else I can add to identify FN-2187 as such I'd like to do that instead. Also, I went with some mix of dark brown to offset the white, might be mixing a bit of purple to the skin later. But, I'm a bit concerned about how to make the head outline stand out from the background. Would there be an appropriate outline I can trace around the whole figure just like the white on the dark Kylo Ren figure?

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 28, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Rolled up sleeves, black arms, and boyega's hair might be enough. You could also be cheeky and paint the insignia on one of his cheeks, since that area of the ship is pretty smooth :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Neurolimal posted:

Rolled up sleeves, black arms, and boyega's hair might be enough. You could also be cheeky and paint the insignia on one of his cheeks, since that area of the ship is pretty smooth :v:

:eyepop:

e: Now I kinda just want to make it a tramp stamp in reverse colors.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Finally finished my bouncer from a few pages back. I'm not sold on the armor. I was rocking 2bb'ing with the skin and gems, but the second I started on the metallics I got really lazy.
Going to go back to experimenting with NMM on the next armored dude.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Southern Heel posted:

Someone said that on the Oldhammer FB group too, ha! No, it was a custom chapter called Antiquator of Xerxes with a bunch of RT sculpts mixed in.

This is some good poo poo right here, sup fellow Oldham :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

signalnoise posted:

Could you give me the exact model name or whatever of the Golden poo poo you use? Like, what line it is? Or could you link me to that line on dickblick.com?

Alternatively: https://www.amazon.com/Golden-0000954-0-Acrylic-10-Color-Transparent/dp/B00K5F6PVI Is that what you have? Looks like it would be a very cool replacement for my Ghost Tint paints. Are they airbrushable?

Here's them on dickblick:
http://www.dickblick.com/items/01650-6921/
http://www.dickblick.com/items/01650-6091/

And here on the Golden website directly:
https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/colors/high-flow/permanent-violet-dark
https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/colors/high-flow/transparent-dioxazine-purple

And yeah, that amazon link looks good too.