Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czDdLm60bTA

i would like vampire: the masquerade bloodlines a hell of a lot more if the second half of it wasn't the worst loving poo poo

like jesus, there's so much cool stuff in that first half but the fact that it all totally goes to crap once you hit the sewers is probably gonna keep me from ever replaying it

You should play bloodlust shadowhunter haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's less that it needs to be directly grounded in scientific findings, and more that it needs to be plausible. Lightsabers just don't make any goddamned sense, let alone the force, and it really works more as a fantasy story told with starships instead of boats.

...So, soft sci-fi.

Soft sci-fi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

Everybody should watch Party Down in general but especially the Steve Guttenberg's Birthday episode, everything about that episode is golden but the subplot about Roman going over his sci-fi script and having to explain to him how to make it into an actual story is something I think of a lot whenever I see sci-fi.

“Are science fiction and heart mutually exclusive? One word: Cocoon.”

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I don't know why we treat sci-fi and fantasy as genres when it's so much more useful to think of them as settings instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Genre confusion is a problem that only people on the internet can have, meanwhile any 12-year old who has read a book can implicitly grasp what is sci-fi and what is fantasy, as well as realize that hot dogs aren't sandwiches and cereal isn't soup, because they're not dumb retards.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
A hot dog is kind of a sandwich.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Sushi is a kind of sandwich if you think about it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't know why we treat sci-fi and fantasy as genres when it's so much more useful to think of them as settings instead.

If they didn't all use the exact same rigamarole of made-up races of creatures you'd have a point, I think

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Dr Cheeto posted:

Sushi is a kind of sandwich if you think about it

A sandwich is kind of a sushi when you think a bit longer about it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

Genre confusion is a problem that only people on the internet can have, meanwhile any 12-year old who has read a book can implicitly grasp what is sci-fi and what is fantasy, as well as realize that hot dogs aren't sandwiches and cereal isn't soup, because they're not dumb retards.

The milk that's leftover after you're done with the cereal is kind of like a soup

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

A hot dog is meat surrounded on three sides by bread. If a Vito from Jimmy John's is a sandwich so is a hot dog.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Note that you eat soup, you don't drink it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The internet is such a stupid annoying place

edit: A stupid annoying place that I wouldn't trade for anything, of course, but jesus christ

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What a strange non sequitur!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

What a strange non sequitur!

Your Honor, I rest my case.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

Bullshit, that's what makes soup so worthless as a meal in the first place. It's just a flavored warm drink!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the internet is a soup sandwich

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Soup is just watery sushi if you think about it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The last Bioware game I played was ME1, so I'm not very invested in the fiction, but I thought the whole point of the Andromeda mission was to be a last ditch effort for survival in case the Reapers won. But it's not? It's just some unrelated pet-project? Huh?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Dr Cheeto posted:

they're just marketing labels op

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mordja posted:

The last Bioware game I played was ME1, so I'm not very invested in the fiction, but I thought the whole point of the Andromeda mission was to be a last ditch effort for survival in case the Reapers won. But it's not? It's just some unrelated pet-project? Huh?

It's their way of just starting the whole thing over. Since JJTrek came out nobody wants to just do a handwave and say "reboot!" Everyone instead has to come up with some dumbass in-lore excuse for why all of the old baggage got thrown out because nerds are giant babies who can't​ just loving accept that there's a new guy playing Sulu.

So it's a whole new Mass Effect. Far away and centuries into the future, so none of the old poo poo matters anymore. Because just resetting the universe isn't an option when your audience are continuity-obsessed babies.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wait, why exactly is it bad that they're setting the game in a different galaxy? Why would a complete reboot be preferable?

Gaiden games aren't new.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's just a video game, none of this matters. Bioware doesn't care about the lore they create in so much as they want it to appeal to the most people so it makes them as much money as possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Wait, why exactly is it bad that they're setting the game in a different galaxy? Why would a complete reboot be preferable?

Gaiden games aren't new.

Have you ever seen a soft reboot of a video game universe that didn't expend that good will by endlessly pandering to fans of the original thing? Neither have I

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Shepard in the new one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Have you ever seen a soft reboot of a video game universe that didn't expend that good will by endlessly pandering to fans of the original thing? Neither have I

I guess theres a fine line between "homage" and "pandering". Like, from what I've seen, people didn't seem to like the onion knight in Dark Souls 3, but were okay with Patches showing up again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Shepard in the new one

Only if it's her ghost

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

It's just a video game, none of this matters. Bioware doesn't care about the lore they create in so much as they want it to appeal to the most people so it makes them as much money as possible.

Some of the people making Bioware games are actually lore-obsessed nerds. It turns out that people who choose to work on the side of the software industry where pay is worse and hours are ridiculous are in some ways the biggest loving nerds ever.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/lrgmnn/status/813635533658144768

I'm Todd Bonzalez

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey what's up guys Bobson Dugnutt here and welcome back to let's play Bloodborne

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I'm gonna need to get a recording of Mike, Tom Servo, and Crow going through this list.

"MIKE TRUK!"

"BOBSON DUGNUTT!"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rey McsRiff in the new PaRappa game, confirmed

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Willie Dustice later had a successful career as an attorney in the Wright Anything Agency

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

I drink tomato soup and you can't stop me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I drink soup all the time. I also eat it.

Soup extends Food implements Drinkable

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

You see if you'd played ME3 you'd find out they already did that :v:

So obviously the next game can't just do that again. ME3 ended the whole plot arc with the reapers, there's nothing else to do. The only way forward is to just move the story somewhere else entirely.

Its not a retcon or a reboot. Its just more mass effect somewhere else because Mass Effect as it was was always plotted to be 3 games. Trying to tack on a 4th on the same narrative wouldn't work.

Basically this is all just "I didn't play ME2 or ME3 so I have no idea what is going on" which... yeaaaah. Duh?

(Also go play ME2 because its good)

Snak posted:

I drink soup all the time. I also eat it.

Soup extends Food implements Drinkable

I think Food would also be an interface :cheeky:

Soup is within the set of Food which overlaps the set of Drinkables, which it is also in. Set theory is the answer here boys.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/840575742119444480

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

What up, Mr. Sernandez speaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

... Mortal Kombat 9?"

Like even if you, personally, don't like it it pretty much revived the franchise.

• Locked thread