Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

MA-Horus posted:

Ughhhh are you going to Wainwright?

If I had gone there by choice it might have been pretty. gently caress Wainwright, biggest loving waste of time and money of my entire illustrious career.

Ten years now almost, no Wainwright. Military career a success thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
gently caress Wainwright.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
At least it's not cold lake!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I take it none of you have been to Shilo. I'll take either base any day

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

On the other hand, tent city in Meaford is the best. Suck it up, troops.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

gently caress Meaford.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gagetown during black fly season is a pretty strong contender.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

MA-Horus posted:

Ughhhh are you going to Wainwright?

If I had gone there by choice it might have been pretty. gently caress Wainwright, biggest loving waste of time and money of my entire illustrious career.

Sure am!

Flight out got delayed a day so there's one tiny bonus.

Second time going so I know what I'm in for - I've tried to warn the uninitiated but they don't quite grasp what a dumpster of time and effort this is.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

Gagetown during black fly season is a pretty strong contender.

Gagetown can't be in the running. It's pretty close to a decent city.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
I had my "holy poo poo I should of joined the airforce" moment in the Trenton mess. They had to-go cups and lids for the coffee. Army messes can go gently caress themselves for being so stingy with taking coffee out of the mess.

Enjoy Wx DarkDobe!

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I had my holy poo poo I should have joined the Navy when I stayed at the shacks in Halifax. Single rooms, my own fridge and cable TV 5 minutes from downtown.

But then I'd have to go on boats and gently caress boats.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lassitude posted:

On the other hand, tent city in Meaford is the best. Suck it up, troops.

Shacks in Meaford are actually pretty decent. Better than CFSAL's in Borden at least.

Tent city can suck a whoooooole lotta dick though.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This morning we find a good 40 of the tents we've been putting up torn to pieces and scattered around like candy wrappers.
EGS techs aren't doing their jobs properly so we get to supplement the work they should be doing for accommodations.
Drunken retards already got us confined to base, with curfew and dry.
No reservists to help set up tent city like any other year.
I.. i could go on but then it sounds like I'm surprised by this at all?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It could be worse, it could be January.

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

DarkDobe posted:

This morning we find a good 40 of the tents we've been putting up torn to pieces and scattered around like candy wrappers.
EGS techs aren't doing their jobs properly so we get to supplement the work they should be doing for accommodations.
Drunken retards already got us confined to base, with curfew and dry.
No reservists to help set up tent city like any other year.
I.. i could go on but then it sounds like I'm surprised by this at all?

Ah good. Nice to know I'm flying into the same stupidity as every other time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

It could be worse, it could be January.

January, August, it's still loving lovely in Wainwright.

Waking up with snow on my Bivy bag in late august was quite the eye-opener for me. I felt bad for the dude who took his boots off and left them next to his bag and found them with a nice layer of snow inside.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Christ, every once in a while I think "hmm, maybe I should join, do something good for my country". I poke around at forces.ca, look at some jobs, then come here, read this thread, and nope out.

I guess I'll come back when Trump sticks his dick in the middle east and tells Trudeau to join him or he'll never see Ivanka again.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just have realistic expectations. If you want to learn how to be an electrician, welder or cook it's a good go. A lot of us are combat arms, we have a lot to bitch about.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Bitching about things is how we pass the time in the combat arms, or in any arms of the military.

If you want to join the Reserves then go ahead, it is great money to supplement your income or to work while going to University. Or if you were thinking of the RegForce then maybe try to go for jobs that are in the air force, that would avoid most of the places we've mentioned (except Cold Lake).

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
lovely experiences build character. I've got a great job civvy-side that I landed with zero post-secondary that I can attribute to my military career.

Despite the tough years in the infantry I don't regret a thing and would do it all again if I was 18 still. I'm probably in the minority though.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Was infantry, can confirm the most memorable times I appreciate most were the shittiest. I loving loved my time in and am a better dude for it, albeit still a terrible poster.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Same but artillery. I mean, field ex's in -40 weather can suck dick forever, but even the lovely times were fun when hangin' with the boyz.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Agreed. There are days where I miss bombing through Pet in an Iltis or turning my gun tractor into a doofwagon

It's the military, you have to take it seriously. But never TOO seriously. That's when you can't even find fun in the stupid poo poo.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Artillery involves long periods of standing in the snow and rain but it also involves sending 155s downrange. Once I got a stealth suit and good gloves I had way more good times than bad.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
The military is a big corporation. Like all of them, people will be bitching about their job in it and about the admin structure.

It is, however, very unique (in my view, better) in terms of what you can get out of it if you choose to.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I loved the army but it grinds you down after a while, especially when there's no mission. If you're young and want to do a contract go for it. I now get paid a pretty decent amount of money to run equipment I trained on when I was in. All in all I'd give it an 8/10, and I'm way less of a dope smoking piece of poo poo than when I was 18.

Samu fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 22, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

At least in the army you guys see yourselves as warfighters and "get" combined arms employment.

Re: pay raises - I had another credible independent RUMINT source say that the coinmasters have determined the "what" (1.25% a year going back to 2013) and are determining the "how" before it gets openly voiced. What could it mean? :iiam:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 16, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish I had learned more skills. I used to give Cooks and Linesmen a hard time but unless you stay in for 10 or 25 you have to live on civie street some time.

I sometimes wonder if I would have enjoyed my early twenties more or less if I hadn't always been smoking, dipping, and drinking alternatively Timmies and at the Warehouse. There's really nothing like it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"Career-long medical, dental and drug coverage and retirement in your mid-50s a bilingual spec 1 corporal with an indexed pension" sounded like a pretty good worst-case scenario to me. Federal public service is better still, but it was hardly a life of suffering I was in for.

Honestly it's a reasonable career option a lot of people overlook because they don't want to spend their lives shoveling poo poo and sleeping in tents while a bald bigot yells at them, when really for most people it's a mostly-ordinary job that has you doing cool stuff sometimes.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Budgets getting cut and operations tempo increasing? Another good year for the thread title.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-budget-military-2017-1.4035424

Laughing if you're still in.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've been extended so Hail Satan.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

flakeloaf posted:

"Career-long medical, dental and drug coverage and retirement in your mid-50s a bilingual spec 1 corporal with an indexed pension" sounded like a pretty good worst-case scenario to me. Federal public service is better still, but it was hardly a life of suffering I was in for.

Honestly it's a reasonable career option a lot of people overlook because they don't want to spend their lives shoveling poo poo and sleeping in tents while a bald bigot yells at them, when really for most people it's a mostly-ordinary job that has you doing cool stuff sometimes.

I'm loving hating myself for (re)joining in my 30's and missing out on maximizing my pension. I would happily buy-back the years between when I quit in my 20's to now if I could.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Dollars to Timbits your pension gets clawbacked anyway.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just fake stomach ailments until you can start your own religion like L. Ron Hubbard.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm attending the Vimy ceremonies in Ottawa today and tomorrow and meeting with the Veterans Affairs Critic before Question Period on Thursday. The meeting is about education and the CAF, so Helmets to Hardhats, ILPs, that sort of thing. I was wondering if there are any concerns I could bring up on your behalf?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I want free university

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Can it be transferred to dependents a la GI bill?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'll bring those points up. I met the Deputy VAC minister today and she also expressed an interest in these issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
More like remind the deputy VAC minister of one of Trudeau's many broken campaign trail promises.

http://globalnews.ca/video/2181739/justin-trudeau-promises-free-post-secondary-education-to-all-veterans

(I voted for him to ensure no more Harper and think he's doing an ok job but Jesus, he hasn't done 1/16th of the poo poo he promised)