Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is good to play on the Vita if I don't like anime?

If you don't care for JRPGs there honestly isn't much there.

Soul Sacrifice was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I already spent 100 hours watching a playthrough of Persona 4, so I think I'm good, just going to wait until 5 comes out.

Maybe I should just sell my Vita and put that towards a Wii U

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got it because I thought remote play would work better than it did and 90% of my time with it was playing Spelunky

It's got an excellent selection of indies. Killzone is good and the multi is amazingly still populated and pretty fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would have taken less time just to play it....

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It would have taken less time just to play it....

The Giant Bomb endurance run of P4 is great.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even a cheapo PSTV was an eh purchase since both Tokyo Xanadu and Ys 8 have improved PS4 versions coming. P4G, Celceta, Atelier, and PSP games are nice but yeah.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got it because I thought remote play would work better than it did and 90% of my time with it was playing Spelunky

The Vita games I enjoyed were Rayman, Uncharted, Killzone: Mercenary (the only good one), AC Liberation, and TellTale games. Sold it when western developers abandoned it.

Switch is really impressive as portable hardware IMO, I'm happy with it. Just wish I had more circumstances where playing it on the go was an option, because at home I'll choose PS4 first almost all the time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Vita's interface is aggressively bad in many ways. And once Resistance, Uncharted, Killzone (which is actually the only good Killzone game), and Soul Sacrifice (which is really cool if you want a dark God Eater kind of game) didn't set the world on fire they dropped it and to got horrible 1st party support ever since. Most of its best games are available on a different system. Most of its library is old visual novels that were already on the PS3/PC/whatever years ago or they come out almost simultaneously on Vita and PS4. If you're not into visual novels it's not a system worth having.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh the other game I played a lot of was Pix the Cat... but the Vita had weird frame hitching and it had PS4 cross-purchase. I bought Tearaway but now that I have it on PS4 that's one less thing for the Vita.

gently caress, I think I'm going to sell it this week

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Vita not having proper L2/R2 buttons is a war crime

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Being able to play Spyro, Crash, and old Final Fantasy games on the go is enough for me to keep mine, but it's true that the only exclusive the Vita has that's any kind of memorable is Persona 4 Golden.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Vita was so good hardware wise you guys!

*looks at rear touchpad, thinks of the possible applications, wistfully shakes head and rolls out of thread*

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

When I think of exclusives it's definitely upgraded PS2 ports.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Healbot posted:

*looks at rear touchpad, thinks of the possible applications, wistfully shakes head and rolls out of thread*

Tearaway made good use of it :shobon:

Healbot posted:

When I think of exclusives it's definitely upgraded PS2 ports.

I mean yeah you can quibble about whether it counts as an "exclusive" but it's more or less objectively the definitive version of an extremely popular game and it's only available on the Vita so :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Memories of Celceta is worth owning a Vita for alone

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh the other game I played a lot of was Pix the Cat... but the Vita had weird frame hitching and it had PS4 cross-purchase. I bought Tearaway but now that I have it on PS4 that's one less thing for the Vita.

gently caress, I think I'm going to sell it this week

I was really excited to play Pix The Cat on the Vita but the frame problems make it pretty unplayable compared to PS4 . You can't even afford to blink in that game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Healbot posted:

The rear touchpad and 3G were hilarious garbage but they weren't considered "essential" like the loving joycons

God drat it nintendo why does everything have to have a lovely gimmick

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

The rear touchpad and 3G were hilarious garbage but they weren't considered "essential" like the loving joycons

God drat it nintendo why does everything have to have a lovely gimmick

The joycons work fine?

(Aside from the dumb left joycon connection issues)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

The joycons work fine?

(Aside from the dumb left joycon connection issues)

The rear touch pad "worked fine" but it was still annoying and pointless. Same deal. Should've just had regular, non-wireless controls on the drat thing.

gently caress that rear touch pad. Replacing it with rear L2/R2 bumpers or something would have been great and costed less.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

The rear touch pad "worked fine" but it was still annoying and pointless.

What's your I ssue with the joycons? Like the HD rumble thing is probably useless but otherwise they do their job.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

What's your I ssue with the joycons? Like the HD rumble thing is probably useless but otherwise they do their job.

I'd edited my post while you were mid-reply. In any case, I find the concept of detached side controllers to be pointless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What brave developer will finally get rid of the D-pad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I'd edited my post while you were mid-reply. In any case, I find the concept of detached side controllers to be pointless.

How are you supposed to play on the TV then? Make everyone buy the pro controller?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

How are you supposed to play on the TV then? Make everyone buy the pro controller?

Make it come with the pro controller.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish the Switch were a handheld primarily. Slap an HDMI out on it if you have to but forget the stupid detachable joycon poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

What brave developer will finally get rid of the D-pad

Hopefully none because it's still super useful for inventory and the best way to play most 2D games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

I wish the Switch were a handheld primarily. Slap an HDMI out on it if you have to but forget the stupid detachable joycon poo poo

There is nothing stopping you from using it as just a handheld

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

The crappy battery life. Even so, when I eventually get one since it will probably be the only way to play Pikmin 4 and obviously new Mario, this is exactly what I'll do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

I know that, but it wasn't designed as a handheld and it shows (battery life for example)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The switch should be a handheld with an optional chromecast-type streaming device for TV. This solves like every problem with it, and they already proved they have the tech to stream without lag with the Wii U.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

The crappy battery life. Even so, when I eventually get one since it will probably be the only way to play Pikmin 4 and obviously new Mario, this is exactly what I'll do.

The 3DS has crappy battery life too.

The battery life is also a lot better when you aren't playing something as demanding as BOTW. I'm pretty sure you can get like 7-8 hours out of it when you are playing shovel knight. That doesn't really help when BOTW is like only game on it so far though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Three 3DS battery life is fine if you turn the brightness down and the 3D off

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

Three 3DS battery life is fine if you turn the brightness down and the 3D off

I might as well not bother then

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Andrast posted:

Like the HD rumble thing is probably useless but otherwise they do their job.

HD rumble is good in Fast RMX but probably the worst rumble I've ever felt in any game for Zelda.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People said the same thing about the PSP-1000, the battery life is fine as long as you're only watching UMD movies in one hour spurts.

Balancing battery life - power has always been a challenge with handhelds though. There area few original GB games like Dragon Slayer I, where even if you know what you're doing it's almost physically impossible to beat if you don't have it plugged into a wall because it's so long and tedious.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I wonder how much more expensive the Switch had to become to enable Count Balls to exist

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

HD rumble is good in Fast RMX but probably the worst rumble I've ever felt in any game for Zelda.

Zelda has a lot of things that make it very clear that is was originally supposed to be a Wii U game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The number of games that use rumble in a good way is a very low number

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny to me when people complain about battery life on handhelds because they all last like 4 hours. Maybe the system is doing you a favor by dying if 4 hours is not enough time to sit in the corner and be a giant dweeb catching pokemons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

The number of games that use rumble in a good way is a very low number

Which is why I never got the outrage when Sony didn't have rumble in the sixaxis. It al out never brings anything to the table.