Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

Where is this protest happening
Turkey, probably İznik.

quote:

what do the signs say
They're calling (incredibly famous dutch PM) Rutte / the Netherlands in general fascist (the word faşist should be a hint), and "fucke to oranges" in the last picture.

quote:

and what's the thing with the oranges ?
Orange is the Dutch Colour hence why carrots are largely orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

asaf posted:

Pictures from a protest of the Netherlands today by the AKP's Kocaeli* Youth Branch

:geert:

*Nicaea

Ah the juice party shalom!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Namarrgon posted:

).
Third; Royal family is from the House of Orange and orange (the colour) is the national colour of the Netherlands. I doubt there is deeper symbolism than that.
FYI the old principality of Orange was technically the land around the (now) french town of Orange (it's in the south) and near the city of Avignon(then papal territory). Beyond the color association, the name was originally unrelated to that of the orange fruit, but was later conflated with it for some obscure reason i can't remember, linked to protestantism i think. Citrus crushing is nice, but it's overall pretty random and petty and pretty turkish. Like totally not Holland main export.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 12, 2017

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
When poo poo was going bad with Israel and turkey, some conservative folk protested Israel by buying Coca-Cola and pouring it of the streets, because Coca-Cola is a trick by the Jews obviously. Yes, it's a pretty typical form of protest in Turkey.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

the name was originally unrelated to that of the orange fruit, but was later conflated with it for some obscure reason
because the spanish call it a naranja and the dutch presumably call it een oranje or some other dutch word which makes more northern euro sense and then sorta glued the two concepts together?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Toplowtech posted:

FYI the old principality of Orange was technically the land around the (now) french town of Orange (it's in the south) and near the city of Avignon(then papal territory). Beyond the color association, the name was originally unrelated to that of the orange fruit, but was later conflated with it for some obscure reason i can't remember, linked to protestantism i think. Citrus crushing is nice, but it's overall pretty random and petty and pretty turkish.

Wait are you seriously saying that random orange crushing is a general sign of protest (in Turkey)? Because that would be hilariously funny.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Namarrgon posted:

Wait are you seriously saying that random orange crushing is a general sign of protest (in Turkey)? Because that would be hilariously funny.
No i am saying random protest against the wrong target is pretty much the most turkish thing ever

see

asaf posted:

When poo poo was going bad with Israel and turkey, some conservative folk protested Israel by buying Coca-Cola and pouring it of the streets, because Coca-Cola is a trick by the Jews obviously. Yes, it's a pretty typical form of protest in Turkey.
as an example.
Like those fucker would fry potatoes in the street to protest France because it's not like they buy wine anyway and yet France do not really give that much of a poo poo about potatoes export.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don't think the protestors think oranges are a major Dutch export.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The Dutch may be laughing now, but let's see their faces when the lucrative market of AKP supporters boycotts Heineken!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AceOfFlames posted:

BTW, FWIW that study is from 2015.

Does anyone have a link to the complete race statistics page?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't think the protestors think oranges are a major Dutch export.
No but beyond the color association, the fruit is barely related to the country anyway. Burning the holland national football jerseys would a far more efficient way to protest. But hey, Turkey :tif:

asaf posted:

The Dutch may be laughing now, but let's see their faces when the lucrative market of AKP supporters boycotts Heineken!

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

If you search for "2015 euro barometer discrimination" you'll get to the full report, but I recall being unable to find countrywise racial breakdowns. The data is linked openly (need to register to download) and the methodology seemed reasonably thorough to me, for the sort of study it is and the limitations presented by cultural and legal issues (but the report doesn't mention these nearly enough tbh)

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Quote is not edit.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

The Dutch word for the fruit is "sinaasappel", which originates from "Chinese apple".

People who play EU4 now also where the name of the achievement comes from.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
huh presumably the same as the East Germans calling them Apfelsine.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BabyFur Denny posted:

The concept of cultures is inherently oppressive and needs to die.

The only good culture is bacteria.

Libluini posted:

We're basically an entire nation of Bostonians.

8.5/10 username/post combo.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

That cheese won't make itself

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

Indeed, so you too have heard of our Lord And Savior Yersinia pestis?

The true bringer of progress, humility and power to the populace.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The EU should simply cancel the tariffs union with Turkey and let their economy collapse. Combine that with a robust solution to the threat of more illegal immigration and very soon Turkey will see who is boss. We should not support Erdogan in transforming that country into a Caliphate!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

GaussianCopula posted:

The EU should simply cancel the tariffs union with Turkey and let their economy collapse. Combine that with a robust solution to the threat of more illegal immigration and very soon Turkey will see who is boss. We should not support Erdogan in transforming that country into a Caliphate!

Ah yes. Further impoverishing ordinary Turks is sure to lessen Erdogan's grip on power. Economic isolation sure brought down the regimes in Cuba and North Korea after all.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Honj Steak posted:

That's a dilemma of multiculturalism we should be aware of. Sometimes lifting people out of their misery and raising their living standards can lead to the destruction of their culture. If you help Roma and Sinti acquire integration and stability that almost necessarily means banning their arranged marriages which will lead to an end of Gypsie culture in the mid- to long-term.

Multiculturalism is about allowing individual freedom on cultural traits, and it's opposed to cultural traits that demand conformity. Cultures are inherently in constant flux, and the destruction of the Roma culture by people abandoning it is no great loss. Some traits of it will survive - the ones people choose to keep.

It's no more a dilemma than the tolerant left not tolerating hate crime.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Ah yes. Further impoverishing ordinary Turks is sure to lessen Erdogan's grip on power. Economic isolation sure brought down the regimes in Cuba and North Korea after all.

He built a large chunk of his/AKPs popularity on reforms that gave significant improvements in standard of living for large segments of the population. These reforms in turn relied on good economic conditions and booms/bubbles that are seemingly in a downward spiral atm. It would probably equal a great big cut in the votershare in a normal healthy democracy. However, with Turkey it will probably end up like Russia where state control will mostly be able to direct that anger and frustration to outside targets, hopefully long enough for the economy to recover or for a new worse normal to settle in the minds of the populace.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So after this Wilders is deffo gonna win right

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

orange sky posted:

So after this Wilders is deffo gonna win right

Well he'll win in the sense of having enough votes to be even more obnoxious, but do you think he's going to win in terms of actually getting over 50% of seats?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Oh my loving God

https://twitter.com/OnlineMagazin/status/840932247859531776

Well, I didn't know this, but it seems to be like 2 years old.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

blowfish posted:

Well he'll win in the sense of having enough votes to be even more obnoxious, but do you think he's going to win in terms of actually getting over 50% of seats?

That's never happened for any party, so I doubt it will happen now.

Also, the fact that the current government responded in this way might convince people that voting PVV is not necessary if the VVD is also willing to do this, so it's not a given that he'll go up in the polls now! That's probably the reason why the government responded so strongly in the first place.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Watch Erdogan start a loving war.

Alright, I don't really expect that to actually happen, but I am certainly not going to file it under 'totally impossible and unthinkable' anymore.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sinteres posted:

That plus look at the way the AKP has been campaigning in Europe.

https://twitter.com/WashingtonPoint/status/840515924218265600/photo/1

I don't speak Turkish, a translation?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Office Pig posted:

Alright, I don't really expect that to actually happen, but I am certainly not going to file it under 'totally impossible and unthinkable' anymore.

Erdogan wont do anything except petty poo poo and huffing and puffing for domestic brownie points. This conflict is inflated by Turkey and partially the Netherlands for domestic purposes, with the explicit understanding that it really won't affect either of the countries economically or militarily. It will have the same non effect as Swedens vocal stance against the Israeli government.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

I don't speak Turkish, a translation?

Someone translated it as 'this fight is a fight between the crescent and the cross.' It's an appeal to European Turks to support Erdogan in the referendum, suggesting that opposition to his victory is rooted in a conspiracy by the West.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Sinteres posted:

Someone translated it as 'this fight is a fight between the crescent and the cross.' It's an appeal to European Turks to support Erdogan in the referendum, suggesting that opposition to his victory is rooted in a conspiracy by the West.

I was gonna say that you don't need a translation to know that it's just some bullshit that distracts from the real issue of this jackass just wanting more power for himself. But with that translation, that pretty much seals it.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Office Pig posted:

He's a turk. Shouting and threatening to call the cops is a valid sales strategy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MeLKoR posted:

http://www.equineteurope.org/IMG/pdf/ebs_437_en.pdf

Spoiler alert: CZ (Czechia) is generally the most intolerant (racist, sexist, etc.) country; SE (Sweden) is generally the most tolerant; SI and SK (Slovenia and Slovakia) are where they like whitey the least.

orange sky posted:

Oh my loving God

https://twitter.com/OnlineMagazin/status/840932247859531776

Well, I didn't know this, but it seems to be like 2 years old.

So that's where Draco Malfoy went off to after they've finished making these Harry Potter movies...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Spoiler alert: CZ (Czechia) is generally the most intolerant (racist, sexist, etc.) country; SE (Sweden) is generally the most tolerant; SI and SK (Slovenia and Slovakia) are where they like whitey the least.

Did they actually go through with this?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They call it "Czech Republic" in the document if that's what you're wondering about -- which, after all, is from 2015, while the country changed its official short name in 2016. "Czechia" is shorter to type, though.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

Seriously this. Here's a list of things that the media in Turkey don't attribute to a conspiracy.

quote:

When I started living here I learn the word "jew" real fast because I noticed that half of the newspapers in any given stand would have it on the headline, so I looked it up. Half of the media spend a good share of their time schreeching about different anti-Turkey conspiracies, mostly Jewish and European. And my neighborhood some months back woke up covered in stickers ranting about the zionist conspiracy.

And that's without getting on the things the TV said after the attempted coup. You know the letters stamped in green in the middle of dollar bills? One newscast showed some dollars that had been confiscated on a raid with the letter "F" and they just went out and said it meant Fetullah (for Gülen) and that it was proof the US was financing the coup. And the government denied it at first, but I hardly need to tell anybody in this thread (or the mideast thread, don't try to hide it, you read it too) how Erdogan has escalated his words.

All of that to say that, as stupid as Spanish (and I assume other countries') coverage of Turkey is (my mom thinks I live in a warzone) it really doesn't convey how crazy and conspiracy the media establishment is.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

watch GC slowly morph from a soulless run-of-the-mill objectivist to a full blown 19th century monarchist :munch:

gott, kaiser, vaterland

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Multiculturalism is about allowing individual freedom on cultural traits, and it's opposed to cultural traits that demand conformity. Cultures are inherently in constant flux, and the destruction of the Roma culture by people abandoning it is no great loss. Some traits of it will survive - the ones people choose to keep.

It's no more a dilemma than the tolerant left not tolerating hate crime.

Gypsy culture is specifically adapted to resist assimilation into majority populations so don't expect them to abandon it willingly. So long as assholes exist who think they can solve these problems by driving their society to extinction the social and economic issues of the Roma will never be solved.

People like unpacked robinhood are why gypsy educational attainment are so low. Ask them to choose between their culture and family or money and they'll pick the culture every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Squalid posted:

Gypsy culture is specifically adapted to resist assimilation into majority populations so don't expect them to abandon it willingly. So long as assholes exist who think they can solve these problems by driving their society to extinction the social and economic issues of the Roma will never be solved.

People like unpacked robinhood are why gypsy educational attainment are so low. Ask them to choose between their culture and family or money and they'll pick the culture every time.

A lot of their ability to resist assimilation relies on their ability to maintain isolation and control the available information in order to keep their youth from straying from the lifestyle.

This is the one social problem where an app to fix it is actually plausible.