Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nier Automata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Somebody tell me what to play that's on Steam. I'm away from home atm and all I have is a laptop with no mouse so I'm looking for something that I can easily play with just keyboard and trackpad. Should probably also be a couple of years old at least otherwise it probably won't run. I'm thinking some sort of sim or not real time strategy game since they're not reaction based whatsoever but I don't have a lot of experience with those genres. I usually play RPGs but without a controller it feels all wrong to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but MK9 also pandered to fans of the series really hardcore so I think that's an example that just goes to his point.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How about the new Tomb Raiders?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mortal Kombat is almost a fanservice franchise by definition, except sometimes they also succeed at making a pretty good fighting game, too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Somebody tell me what to play that's on Steam. I'm away from home atm and all I have is a laptop with no mouse so I'm looking for something that I can easily play with just keyboard and trackpad. Should probably also be a couple of years old at least otherwise it probably won't run. I'm thinking some sort of sim or not real time strategy game since they're not reaction based whatsoever but I don't have a lot of experience with those genres. I usually play RPGs but without a controller it feels all wrong to me

Long Live the Queen

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

Mortal Kombat is almost a fanservice franchise by definition, except sometimes they also succeed at making a pretty good fighting game, too.

Yeah, it's not like expectations on the MK lore was real high. It's been campy and a silly since day 1. MK9 and (to a slightly lesser extent) MKX are fun and it was neat that they just remixed all the lore into this silly thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Andrast posted:

How about the new Tomb Raiders?

It's good. It's loving buggy as all hell for some reason, but it's still really good

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Treasure trove of good usernames

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm one game away from 75% on steamcompletionist. i'd like the milestone game to be stardew valley but it's not gonna be unless i add other games and beat them in the meantime because I'm only in the fall of year 1 and taking breaks between seasons

I mean I assume years 2 and 3 will go a lot faster than year 1 but I still am pacing myself

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Treasure trove of good usernames

I'm using Karl Dandleton for something, i just don't know what yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The new Tomb Raiders are great examples of how to reboot something. Rise Of wasn't quite as good as it should have been though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tomb Raider tells the story of a posh archaeology grad who becomes an unstoppable killing machine once she picks up a compound bow for the first time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Scott's a dourque

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm one game away from 75% on steamcompletionist. i'd like the milestone game to be stardew valley but it's not gonna be unless i add other games and beat them in the meantime because I'm only in the fall of year 1 and taking breaks between seasons

I mean I assume years 2 and 3 will go a lot faster than year 1 but I still am pacing myself

The game "ends" on spring 1 year 3, just a heads-up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

Yeah but MK9 also pandered to fans of the series really hardcore so I think that's an example that just goes to his point.

Is making a good game and bringing back the things people liked about the series before it went off the rails pandering now?

This loving Mario game is pandering to me so blatantly, having koopas and goombas and fun platforming. SMH.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Is making a good game and bringing back the things people liked about the series before it went off the rails pandering now?

Yes. Pandering can be fine, like most things it's not a negative by default.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Tomb Raider tells the story of a posh archaeology grad who becomes an unstoppable killing machine once she picks up a compound bow for the first time.

Probably the most realistic depiction of graduate study in video games, tbh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

The game "ends" on spring 1 year 3, just a heads-up
oh ok. you say "ends" meaning that it continues on after the 'ending'? I'm not sure if the game theoretically goes on forever or if there's an actual definite stopping point. i figure after grandpa rates the farm i would be 'done'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

This loving Mario game is pandering to me so blatantly, having koopas and goombas and fun platforming. SMH.

Can you really not tell the difference between MK and SMB in re their approach to fans of the series

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Can you really not tell the difference between MK and SMB in re their approach to fans of the series

I genuinely don't understand the difference between New Super Mario Bros and MK9, no.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oh ok. you say "ends" meaning that it continues on after the 'ending'? I'm not sure if the game theoretically goes on forever or if there's an actual definite stopping point. i figure after grandpa rates the farm i would be 'done'

Yeah grandpa shows up on spring 1 year 3, but the game carries on past that, just with no new content. Even the TV shows start running reruns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I genuinely don't understand the difference between New Super Mario Bros and MK9, no.

MK9 and MKX have assloads of Easter Eggs and references that only fans would get. They're good games that take the best of the series and present it in a better way, but they also contain a lot of pandering. It's not an either or thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

one has a lot of BWAHs in it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Babe With A Hat?

Bouncy Wooly Avian Honky?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They're Bahs, tyvm. Bwahs are what Hank Hill says.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I think Food would also be an interface :cheeky:

Soup is within the set of Food which overlaps the set of Drinkables, which it is also in. Set theory is the answer here boys.

My thinking was that Food implements Eatable. Soup is a subset of food. All food is eatable, some foods are drinkable. Beverage would be another class, which would implement drinkable, because all beverages are drinkable.

Some things, like antifreeze, would implement drinkable, but are not beverages.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bahs Without Any Halting

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Paperhouse posted:

There's a puzzle game called Full Bore that you probably already own because it's been in budles before, once I was on a week-long trip and it gave me hours of laptop gaming fun. it's basically an open world puzzle platformer with no jump button and is instead built around digging and pushing crates and climbing all on a tile-based system so it plays great with just the keyboard. It's a good head-scratcher at parts but its still designed to be pretty forgiving with a rewind system that lets you undo mistakes on the fly. Also it has the usual charming minimalist pixie indie story quirk where of course being a mining company run by talking boars is just a cutesy for veneer for all the weird stuff going on as you dig deeper so it keeps the environments changing and gives you some cool ruins to explore as you keep digging.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Full Bore is really really good

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Lurdiak posted:

See also: Star Fox Zero getting tons of undeserved flak for "it's just Star Fox 64 again" when "just Star Fox 64 again" is what fans were asking for in the first place

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

See also: Star Fox Zero getting tons of undeserved flak for "it's just Star Fox 64 again" when "just Star Fox 64 again" is what fans were asking for in the first place

I''ll take 10 more 64 remakes before another Assault.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The terrible control scheme didn't help

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The control scheme was fine, assuming you have two working eyes and hands anyway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

star fox zero was not as good as star fox 64 but few games are

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hello Rare and Hat in Time devs, please remove Jontron's voice from Yooka-Laylee and Hat in Time thank you

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841051513212547072

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Guy Mann posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.
amazing

Macaluso posted:

Hello Rare and Hat in Time devs, please remove Jontron's voice from Yooka-Laylee and Hat in Time thank you
anyone with enough money can say the things they want and do the things they want; if jontron was as unwealthy as you or me, his voice would be just as removed as you'd like him to be. the problem doesn't lie with the fact that people are given loudspeakers, but with the one that loudspeakers can be purchased

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm not sure that youtube celebrities are untouchable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/_watsu/status/840267175193661440

• Locked thread