Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Baloogan posted:

lol @ no t understanding how annoying it is that the government can force me to pay for healthcare

It's like you have no agency! Get a private service or we'll fine you anyway (because why wouldn't you get healthcare if you're too poor to afford health care?)

Oh btw even though we fined you it still doesn't count as healthcare so it's just money down the drain either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Baloogan posted:

lol @ no t understanding how annoying it is that the government can force me to pay for healthcare

well, unless you are immortal, someone is going to pay for your healthcare at some point in time. everyone making a contribution to the healthcare system based on their means (i.e. through taxes, or premiums) makes sense.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

lol the us government forces everyone under 65 to pay for old peoples' healthcare while simultaneously trying to destroy the system once we get old enough to use it

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
reproduction was a mistake

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Concerned Citizen posted:

well, unless you are immortal, someone is going to pay for your healthcare at some point in time. everyone making a contribution to the healthcare system based on their means (i.e. through taxes, or premiums) makes sense.
Ultimately if you're a hobo and literally can't afford it, the hospital can write it off
Except when they gotta pay real money for the medication they give you.

Then the hospitals refuse to give the full healthcare needed without proof they have moneyinsurance..
But just sending them on their way still costs a lot due to administration and dug costs, as well as the wages needed to pay back college.

So yes, someone will pay for your healthcare eventually.
gently caress them, right?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The joke is it's us, the people who will be alive in the future when we can't afford our future healthcare and neither can our kids, leaving no one with healthcare.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
lol if you haven't stockpiled tons of bandaids

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

logikv9 posted:

lol if you haven't stockpiled tons of bandaids

lol, just lol, if you haven't been researching the dark arts of necromancy in order to turn yourself into a immortal undead lich that will haunt the earth for all eternity

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ThndrShk2k posted:

Ultimately if you're a hobo and literally can't afford it, the hospital can write it off
Except when they gotta pay real money for the medication they give you.

Then the hospitals refuse to give the full healthcare needed without proof they have moneyinsurance..
But just sending them on their way still costs a lot due to administration and dug costs, as well as the wages needed to pay back college.

So yes, someone will pay for your healthcare eventually.
gently caress them, right?

reminder: cc's main beef with single payer is it'll put the poor insurance company workers out of business

never mind that a medicare for all system will need thousands of employees with experience in processing claims and medical coding and office space. i mean, where the hell would you find those people

or that the government has never made policy or favored industries that put other workers out of business. like we didn't just have an election that in part revolved around the plight of coal workers not being able to find work that was in no way a direct result of government policy

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Muppets On PCP posted:

reminder: cc's main beef with single payer is it'll put the poor insurance company workers out of business

never mind that a medicare for all system will need thousands of employees with experience in processing claims and medical coding and office space

or that the government has never made policy or favored industries that put other workers out of business. like we didn't just have an election that in part revolved around the plight of coal workers not being able to find work that was in no way a direct result of government policy

i mean medicare for all will require vastly fewer employees. that's a selling point - it's far more efficient. that also makes it politically difficult even leaving out the general fear that comes from any changes healthcare system. and promising people there will be future jobs somewhere in america at some point in time does not tend to reduce anxiety. if we can achieve the same result that is, say, 5% less efficient without leaving the current structure, why not do that? that is my main thing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i mean medicare for all will require vastly fewer employees. that's a selling point - it's far more efficient. that also makes it politically difficult even leaving out the general fear that comes from any changes healthcare system. and promising people there will be future jobs somewhere in america at some point in time does not tend to reduce anxiety. if we can achieve the same result that is, say, 5% less efficient without leaving the current structure, why not do that? that is my main thing.

Healthcare should be free.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Healthcare should be free.

i agree. there are ways to achieve that, or at least get very close, without single payer. in fact, singlepayer doesn't even guarantee free healthcare.

the ideal scenario isn't even single payer at all, but actually a totally nationalized healthcare sector.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

that's why we need single payer. obamacare with its mandate makes it obv that it's best for our nation if everyone is insured. problem is, obamacare puts way too much burden on the poor to get that healthcare, and punishes them if they fail. singlepayer is the only moral solution, as we have to force the rich to pay their fair share and relieve the burden of the poor

right now the rich benefit disproportionately from the US medical system. they are not only well taken care of, but they also get the benefit of the health of labor. their factories and jobs sap the livelihoods and health from workers over time, until workers are left unable to work, at which point the rich's solution is "just die". imagine it through the lens of automation. laborers are the machines making wealth and goods for the rich, but instead of repairing their machines when they have issues, they just throw them out and yell at the government to buy them new ones.

Condiv has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Mar 12, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
you'll lose CT but let's be honest this is a good thing

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

you'll lose CT but let's be honest this is a good thing

and iowa but same

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm a single issue voter and my single issue is the destruction of iowa

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

that's why we need single payer. obamacare with its mandate makes it obv that it's best for our nation if everyone is insured. problem is, obamacare puts way too much burden on the poor to get that healthcare, and punishes them if they fail. singlepayer is the only moral solution, as we have to force the rich to pay their fair share and relieve the burden of the poor

i agree with your premise, in general. i'm differentiating between different universal healthcare structures. many systems we typically see as "single payer" are actually multipayer with private insurance companies. the easiest path for us is for the government to offer free or very low cost insurance to all americans that covers most basic procedures and emergencies. people can then purchase subsidized, inexpensive supplemental insurance to make up for any gaps. meanwhile, the government should negotiate on behalf of everyone for the cost of medical procedures, providing bonus payments to doctors working in underserved communities. that combined with spending on R&D targeting the most destructive diseases and making medical school free would dramatically bring down the cost of providing care and make healthcare nearly free for most people. it would lead to some job losses but not the total destruction of a huge job sector, and it's familiar enough that it'll be easier for people to stomach with less anxiety.

i didn't invent that model, of course. it's the one used by france, japan, etc. it's not that medicare for all is a bad idea - it's not. but if we can get basically the same thing easier, why not do that? why be married to one particular model?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i agree with your premise, in general. i'm differentiating between different universal healthcare structures. many systems we typically see as "single payer" are actually multipayer with private insurance companies. the easiest path for us is for the government to offer free or very low cost insurance to all americans that covers most basic procedures and emergencies. people can then purchase subsidized, inexpensive supplemental insurance to make up for any gaps. meanwhile, the government should negotiate on behalf of everyone for the cost of medical procedures, providing bonus payments to doctors working in underserved communities. that combined with spending on R&D targeting the most destructive diseases and making medical school free would dramatically bring down the cost of providing care and make healthcare nearly free for most people. it would lead to some job losses but not the total destruction of a huge job sector, and it's familiar enough that it'll be easier for people to stomach with less anxiety.

i didn't invent that model, of course. it's the one used by france, japan, etc.

the private insurance aspect of france's model was bolted on as far as i can see. according to my coworkers, the governmental part of the system, securite sociale, used to cover 100% of costs for most things. then under the global neoliberal tide, they reduced the amount paid out to 70% with private insurance having to be purchased to cover the remaining 30% of medical costs.

if we could even transition to the mixed public/private system of current day france tho we'd be much better off. my private insurance premiums are a grand total of $200 a year, and the poor are capable of receiving a 100% costs paid version of securite sociale.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Here's a question: How do you sell medicare for all when that would make millions of health jobs redundant, when you're already losing elections because of a few hundred thousand miners/manufacturers

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baloogan posted:

it loving terrifies me that your part of the democratic machine cc

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ThndrShk2k posted:

The joke is it's us, the people who will be alive in the future when we can't afford our future healthcare and neither can our kids, leaving no one with healthcare.

excuse me i know of a few people who will have the greatest healthcare science and money can provide them

the're the captains of industry, the centi-millionaires and billionaires :grin:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

zegermans posted:

Here's a question: How do you sell medicare for all when that would make millions of health jobs redundant, when you're already losing elections because of a few hundred thousand miners/manufacturers

Well politicians are supposed to study what's best for the greater good and choose a course of action even if it's unpopular. That's literally their job.

Also if the cost and time savings were enough we could give everyone a mincome even if they don't work :shrug:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

zegermans posted:

worst case dems lose which they would anyway

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

zegermans posted:

The vast majority of healthcare positions are versatile enough to flex towards a different, short-staffed field.

It would be real nice if healthcare lawyers could contribute to the pool of public attorneys

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol, just lol, if you haven't been researching the dark arts of necromancy in order to turn yourself into a immortal undead lich that will haunt the earth for all eternity

cybermancy is imminent

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Neurolimal posted:

The vast majority of healthcare positions are versatile enough to flex towards a different, short-staffed field.
There's tons of highly understaffed locations in need of people who know healthcare stuff.

They're called hospitals.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

logikv9 posted:

reproduction was a mistake

yeah imo gently caress the self-replicating RNAs that started it all

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Baloogan posted:

I'm actually one of these people. Have to pay $700 because I do not have health insurance.

zegermans posted:

Medicare is the most popular program in America. People want healthcare. Put two and two together.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
social services were a mistake because it lets people live longer instead of going straight into the welcoming arms of death

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

logikv9 posted:

social services were a mistake because it lets people live longer instead of going straight into the welcoming arms of death

Boomers instead of people but yeah

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

it's understandable that americans are loving retarded, yes

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

next thing you know the government will be forcing you to insure your car as well. absolute madness

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

under paul ryan's plan, americans will have the option to wait until they get sick to buy health insurance. as a moron, i can't see any problem with that proposal

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I can fully understand why someone would be mad that the government is going to make them buy the lovely private health insurance that was offered on the exchanges or forfeit 2% of their income.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Frankly I'm most shocked that Ryan's plan doens't voucherize medicare. He was planting the seeds for it right after the election, intending to frame it as "we have to do this because the ACA cuts to medicare advantage of critically destabilized it!"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zegermans posted:

Frankly I'm most shocked that Ryan's plan doens't voucherize medicare. He was planting the seeds for it right after the election, intending to frame it as "we have to do this because the ACA cuts to medicare advantage of critically destabilized it!"

the joke is that the ahca repeals a 0.9% tax on people making over $200k a year that has extended the life of the medicare trust fund, creating a self-fulfilling crisis that will demand voucherization.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

I can fully understand why someone would be mad that the government is going to make them buy the lovely private health insurance that was offered on the exchanges or forfeit 2% of their income.

There obviously should have been a public option. But in the absence of that, it makes sense that everyone should be paying in to whatever dumb system we have. Otherwise it all crumbles due to adverse selection, which is what we're about to witness under the new plan that throws out the oh-so-annoying individual mandate.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I vote for whoever gives me more zeros on my pay check!!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

punk rebel ecks posted:

Medicare is the most popular program in America. People want healthcare. Put two and two together.

"medicare for all" is a brand name - the sanders plan doesn't have much in common with actual medicare, which has both premiums (on part b), deductibles, and typically needs supplementary insurance to make healthcare for serious illness actually affordable. the sanders plan is a far more extensive system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

zegermans posted:

How would it make millions of health jobs redundant?

• Locked thread