Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

A good poster posted:

Getting back to the Third-Party discussion, how much of Hasbro's customer base do they expect to be comprised of adult collectors? Most videos of 3P toys I've seen have shown them to be extremely complex and time-consuming to transform, and that plus their price means almost no one would buy them for a child. Is that enough for Hasbro to consider them meant for a different market entirely?

So it would seem. A much larger percentage of Hasbro's intended audience is adult collectors now (Titans Return makes that pretty obvious, if it wasn't already stated by them outright), but most collectors buy third party stuff in addition to Hasbro stuff, not instead of it. Certainly having Hexatron and Carnifex isn't going to stop me from buying TR Sixshot and Overlord. And even die hard third party buyers tend to replace third party MPs with Takara ones when the time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahab Itualliar
Feb 16, 2017

Amazing

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Finally found Triggerhappy. And Sixshot! Haven't opened Sixshot yet, but wow, everyone was not kidding about Triggerhappy. Fun transformation.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Holy crap, there's a lot of deluded fans out there telling themselves that they're good to pass on MP Megs at the moment because Hasbro might eventually bring him over cheaper. It's hilarious watching them tie themselves into knots trying to convince themselves it's possible because 'it's for adult collectors, kids shouldn't factor in to it' and other such nonsense. Shiiiiit, Hasbro won't even do Shockwave with his princely purple 'submarine' mode, never mind the big man.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They'll redeco him in dayglo orange and yellow like an air soft gun and remould the barrel to include a giant orange tip with "Not a real gun mr policeman" embossed around the muzzle.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think they said a while ago that you can't even do that now in most markets.

Ahab Itualliar
Feb 16, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

Holy crap, there's a lot of deluded fans out there telling themselves that they're good to pass on MP Megs at the moment because Hasbro might eventually bring him over cheaper. It's hilarious watching them tie themselves into knots trying to convince themselves it's possible because 'it's for adult collectors, kids shouldn't factor in to it' and other such nonsense. Shiiiiit, Hasbro won't even do Shockwave with his princely purple 'submarine' mode, never mind the big man.

"hasbro mp collector" is always a weird one.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Sixshot is not very good. I'm glad I kept the box.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Hasbro is only like 40 releases behind on MP at this point so sure!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

I think I'm going to pass on MP Megs in hope of a shiny version later on, I really don't like the flat grey for an MP, but yeah there's no chance Hasbro will bring him out over here. But were he not a gun I think they would eventually, they're definitely not interesting in bringing over every last carbot but they seem to release all the big characters. It's just years later and for not much cheaper.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Knormal posted:

I think I'm going to pass on MP Megs in hope of a shiny version later on, I really don't like the flat grey for an MP, but yeah there's no chance Hasbro will bring him out over here. But were he not a gun I think they would eventually, they're definitely not interesting in bringing over every last carbot but they seem to release all the big characters. It's just years later and for not much cheaper.

I want to see the Takara alternate deco also, this is never coming to the US lol.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
people are going to prefer the silver deco to the grey one and that makes me sad

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
To be fair, HasTak's silver paint is some sort of magic.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

A good poster posted:

Getting back to the Third-Party discussion, how much of Hasbro's customer base do they expect to be comprised of adult collectors? Most videos of 3P toys I've seen have shown them to be extremely complex and time-consuming to transform, and that plus their price means almost no one would buy them for a child. Is that enough for Hasbro to consider them meant for a different market entirely?

My favourite third party stuff isn't super complex. MMC only really have their Arcee things as fiddly. Some Fansproject stuff can get fiddly, but the Bruticus replacement limbs, headmasters and dinobots are all good as hell. Fanstoys aren't at all, I think the worst one I have is their Galvatron and thats only for tolerances rather than actual complexity. Badcube are all extremely that end though, especially Wardog and Sunsurge and I hate 'em. I would say Fantoys and MMC are generally on the level of MPs since MP10, maybe a little bit more sometimes in terms of complexity. MMC's Inferno transforms 90% the same as MP Inferno, with only the insane magic of the Takara ladder really differing.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm asking for MP-36 Megatron for my birthday. I gotta have the version where he looks busted up like in the cartoon movie!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

DoctorWhat posted:

people are going to prefer the silver deco to the grey one and that makes me sad

I unironically love and prefer the grey one. I didn't think they'd do it either but am so glad they have. It'd be cool if we got a Marvel version too with the black/blue helmet and longer fusion cannon with the grip on it.

That said, I don't hold out a lot of hope for a repaint simply because I was absolutely certain we would have gotten a toy accurate Shockwave by now and yet still not a sausage...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

They did Delta Magnus, they'll do the repaints in time. Their schedule is completely loaded of late.

Line must be selling really well.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Other than Dinosaurer have they announced anything new on their TR equivalent line? I think Astrotrain was the last.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

They did Delta Magnus, they'll do the repaints in time. Their schedule is completely loaded of late.

Line must be selling really well.

Third party market showed that people are ready and willing to make large robot purchases many times a year, so Takara has stepped up to trying to have one MP release per month now, including retools. I have no doubt a silver Megatron is in the cards for later in the year.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's kinda weird that 3P has clearly benefited HasTak's bottom line, but here we are.

Blackheart posted:

Other than Dinosaurer have they announced anything new on their TR equivalent line? I think Astrotrain was the last.
No and it's making me rage out of control like some twelve year old. In private. Legends are only slightly cheaper here anyway, might as well get the bonus head from TT. Except if they decide to stop selling them.

They're so far behind on the line it is bizarre.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Holy poo poo, Triggerhappy was totally worth the $30 (Fake Canadian Syrup-Bux) I shelled out for him. Kinda just want to spend the next hour whooshing him around my apartment making pew-pew noises.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I love that his facesculpt is so good that even though he has a faceplate you can tell he's giggling like an idiot behind it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So of course I buy wave 3 online and Target has all four of them.

OF COURSE.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Well, at least you have them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
HTS says I ordered, was shipped, and received 10 roadbusters last year and so my orders on HTS won't go through until I put the payment through for said roadbusters. Except HTS contacted me to say they were not in stock, and we were still charged, though paypal blocked the payment.

To sum it up: something's fucky

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've had them since December. This is the weirdest distro.

Also tfwiki reports Slugslinger is wave six. So I guess wave 5 might technically have one new mold yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

HTS says I ordered, was shipped, and received 10 roadbusters last year and so my orders on HTS won't go through until I put the payment through for said roadbusters. Except HTS contacted me to say they were not in stock, and we were still charged, though paypal blocked the payment.

To sum it up: something's fucky

Something is indeed fucky. This is like my 20th order from HST so I'm not too worried. That was until you jinxed me.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Spiderdrake posted:

Also tfwiki reports Slugslinger is wave six. So I guess wave 5 might technically have one new mold yet.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kids Choice Awards TF5 trailer. This looks... interesting? Also, seems to fit with absolutely nothing of what we've seen before. Is the Earth post-apocalyptic now?

Also, tiny dinobots :3:

Also, treating Grimlock like a doggo :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl3vMlDkE-U

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

So what's wave five then? Topspin, Misfire...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So what's wave five then? Topspin, Misfire...

Twintwist, Misfire, and Windblade according to TFWiki.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm still hoping they get Snapdragon and Apeface as voyagers for the final waves. They can even pull off their remolding magic to get them from the same base design.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rumors said they were, but rumors also said Chromdome is a stunticon remold and hurr durr etc.

That would be really nice though. I hope FansProject plans on bringing back the Fx line in 2018, their Snappy and Apeface looked fantastic.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
It would be cool to have a Snapdragon if only cuz I picked his old toy up last year so it'd be fun t have a new version too haha. This is also why I was looking for an Apeface at TFCon but kind of was too cheap for it. It'd be nice to give him a real body to go with his Titan Master though.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Good Listener posted:

It would be cool to have a Snapdragon if only cuz I picked his old toy up last year so it'd be fun t have a new version too haha. This is also why I was looking for an Apeface at TFCon but kind of was too cheap for it. It'd be nice to give him a real body to go with his Titan Master though.

Apeface was the last G1 Headmaster I got specifically because I wasn't willing to pay the inflated prices for what is really a pretty terrible figure even by G1 standards. Made the right call putting Snapdragon on the Christmas list as a kid.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
poo poo I waited too long and now Hasbro is out of stock of Triggerhappy on their website.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
In like 4 days all the Legends at my closest Wal Mart were gone. There was one Bumblebee left today and mostly because he fell behind the box of those blind buy big head TF toys nobody wants. I looked at Bee and bought him because looked way cooler than I thought he was. In spite of having more G1 Bumblebees than I need or really want. Something about him just made me happy.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

He's so friendly-looking, who wouldn't feel happy?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Keldroc posted:

He's so friendly-looking, who wouldn't feel happy?

he looks like he's crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Good Listener posted:

He's been using Astrotrain's body for a while now, partly because I'm not a big fan of the quality on Dark Moon