Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
All you fresh intellij users: double-tap shift, then start typing to search for symbols (ButtFactoryImpl), actions (new scratch file) , settings (show whitespace)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

i want the drat autocomplete popup window to STOP STEALING FOCUS GOD DAMNIT

when i hit arrow keys its because i want to move the cursor around, not scroll through every loving function name and variable name that just happens to match whatever text i just typed

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

IntelliJ is fine

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ator posted:

i want the drat autocomplete popup window to STOP STEALING FOCUS GOD DAMNIT

when i hit arrow keys its because i want to move the cursor around, not scroll through every loving function name and variable name that just happens to match whatever text i just typed

yeah this basically. it'd be better to have complete current intellisense action/move up/down commands instead of just screw up your arrow keys. gently caress, or even use scroll lock for this

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i used visual studio for 2 years before learning about ctrl+, and honestly that kinda pisses me off considering how insanely much better it is than searching for files in the solution explorer.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Wheany posted:

All you fresh intellij users: double-tap shift, then start typing to search for symbols (ButtFactoryImpl), actions (new scratch file) , settings (show whitespace)

there's also a productivity guide in the "Help" menu. it'll tell you if you've never used a feature, how often you use a feature, and so on.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

codebase is ~10^7 loc and idk how you would navigate it without mashing F12 in visual studio

easy dude just run ctags and then say meta+v meta+tilde comma+j in emacs to show a list of file locations that refer to a symbol with the same name :ironicat:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

crazysim posted:

there's also a productivity guide in the "Help" menu. it'll tell you if you've never used a feature, how often you use a feature, and so on.

:yum:

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

crazysim posted:

woah

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I want to find the EclipseLink developer who decided that an ORM should maintain an in-process cache of every entity BY DEFAULT and have about three different ways to override this loving braindead idiotic default, none of which actually work, and shoot them out of a cannon into the loving sun

"hurr more than one process might want to talk to a database ever? that's unpossible! :downsbravo:"

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

fleshweasel posted:

i used visual studio for 2 years before learning about ctrl+, and honestly that kinda pisses me off considering how insanely much better it is than searching for files in the solution explorer.

Holy poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

I want to find the EclipseLink developer who decided that an ORM should maintain an in-process cache of every entity BY DEFAULT and have about three different ways to override this loving braindead idiotic default, none of which actually work, and shoot them out of a cannon into the loving sun

"hurr more than one process might want to talk to a database ever? that's unpossible! :downsbravo:"

orms are bad

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this was a valid complaint ten years ago. every modern ide has a way to search for available actions.

that isn't the problem. if you want to know how to do X thing in an IDE but can't find it in the UI, you can just google it and trivially find out. the hard part is knowing that X is even a thing that IDEs do, because there's generally absolutely nothing that indicates that the thing you just spent 30 seconds doing could have been done in .1 seconds by hitting a hotkey (intellij tries and i appreciate that, but it isn't very good at it)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I want to point an object at another object in 3D space. what's it called when you have two vectors (object A's forward vector and object B's position) and you want to find the rotation for aligning one vector to point at the other vector?

simble
May 11, 2004

quaternions describe rotation but good luck. I just push buttons until it works.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I want to point an object at another object in 3D space. what's it called when you have two vectors (object A's forward vector and object B's position) and you want to find the rotation for aligning one vector to point at the other vector?

you want to rotate one vector into another. see also look at.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Luigi Thirty posted:

i think you can just subtract them right?

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm bad at math, don't you need to know object A's position too? (so you have the vector that points from A to B)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Smoke_Max posted:

I'm bad at math, don't you need to know object A's position too? (so you have the vector that points from A to B)

we know the position and rotation of objects A and B, we want object A to face object B

Corla Plankun posted:

i think you can just subtract them right?

well I'm looking at Descent's ai_turn_towards_vec(vector goal, object *obj) function and the answer is something like that

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

we know the position and rotation of objects A and B, we want object A to face object B

If you just need to snap A's forward vector just set it to A.forward = Normalize(B.pos - A.pos).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i'm winner :toot:

code:
void DumbShip::obj_think() {
    /* Face the targeted SceneObject. */
    Vector3f target_position = target->transformation.translation;

float x_distance = target_position.x - this->transformation.translation.x;
    float y_distance = target_position.y - this->transformation.translation.y;
    float z_distance = target_position.z - this->transformation.translation.z;
    float xz_distance= std::sqrt(x_distance * x_distance + z_distance * z_distance);

this->transformation.rotation.x = R2D(std::atan2(y_distance, xz_distance)); //around Y
    this->transformation.rotation.y = R2D(std::atan2(x_distance, z_distance));  //around X
    this->transformation.rotation.z = 0;

/* Move toward the object. */
    if(distance_to_target() > 1.0f){
        this->movement.forward_speed = 0.01;      
    } else {
        this->movement.forward_speed = 0;
    }

this->movement.velocity = forward_vector() * movement.forward_speed;
}
if you don't remember to zero out the forward speed, uh, the ship fucks the cube it goes "oh gosh I need to recalculate my orientation" once the distance is greater than 1 unit, snapping to the opposite rotation

the model is also backwards but that's a separate problem

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

nice low-res penis m8

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

i spent way too long doing this (i don't know windows API but hey if I can make Amiga applications...)

:toot:

I don't know how similar this is to Win32 if there's any Windows experts here

NICE!!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm winner :toot:

code:
void DumbShip::obj_think() {
    /* Face the targeted SceneObject. */
    Vector3f target_position = target->transformation.translation;

float x_distance = target_position.x - this->transformation.translation.x;
    float y_distance = target_position.y - this->transformation.translation.y;
    float z_distance = target_position.z - this->transformation.translation.z;
    float xz_distance= std::sqrt(x_distance * x_distance + z_distance * z_distance);

this->transformation.rotation.x = R2D(std::atan2(y_distance, xz_distance)); //around Y
    this->transformation.rotation.y = R2D(std::atan2(x_distance, z_distance));  //around X
    this->transformation.rotation.z = 0;

/* Move toward the object. */
    if(distance_to_target() > 1.0f){
        this->movement.forward_speed = 0.01;      
    } else {
        this->movement.forward_speed = 0;
    }

this->movement.velocity = forward_vector() * movement.forward_speed;
}

if you don't remember to zero out the forward speed, uh, the ship fucks the cube it goes "oh gosh I need to recalculate my orientation" once the distance is greater than 1 unit, snapping to the opposite rotation

the model is also backwards but that's a separate problem

drat

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

and now waypoints can have other waypoints as their target, basically turning them into a linked list of entities that the DumbShip class automatically follows to the end (changing their target to the target's target until they run out of waypoints)

dang, it's almost like i've got game-like behavior here

i also adapted a fixed-point class i found on github so this thing might eventually work on 386s if I rip out all the floating-point math

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

get the math coprocessor for it

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

and now waypoints can have other waypoints as their target, basically turning them into a linked list of entities that the DumbShip class automatically follows to the end (changing their target to the target's target until they run out of waypoints)

dang, it's almost like i've got game-like behavior here

i also adapted a fixed-point class i found on github so this thing might eventually work on 386s if I rip out all the floating-point math

Are you porting Fred2 to the Amiga?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rectus posted:

the Amiga has a 68882 FPU
I ordered one for its 286 board but this game is 32-bit so it will never work on it
the 386 laptop I got for yosmas doesn't have one

VikingofRock posted:

I'm making a dos space shooter

so far I have 3D objects that fly between waypoints

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Rectus posted:

probably not worth it. floating point was still poo poo slow with a 387. it was slightly slower with a 486DX, and didn't get fast until the pentium

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i tried to start a react project and vs has some weird error but i also noticed it didn't check out a file from github (???) and then i tried vs code and 1) the insider build flat out didn't want to use git at all and then the regular build was trying to execute stuff in powershell and didn't escape spaces so it just threw an error so i think im gonna give up

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Just use the create react app or whatever its called outside of an ide

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Really the real answer is don't touch Javascript but if you must,

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i wanted to use a boilerplate thing because im a Retard about javascript and the default vs one was just a hello world thing

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Found it

https://github.com/facebookincubator/create-react-app

The nice thing about this is it gives you several plugins that attempt to make js less terrible, like es6. Sometimes I forget I'm doing js at work until some dumb quirk comes up or I look at the file ending

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

thanks ill look at it.

i figured it out, i had to check it out with git instead of open a git url in vs. i dunno what the gently caress it was doing, it was missing files and didn't set a remote url

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

another cool tip: if you add a "start cmd.exe" target then you get the entire node spaghetti path in the new command window. the vs task runner explorer doesn't do input

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Sometimes I forget I'm doing js at work until some dumb quirk comes up or I look at the file ending

the mightiest compliment

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I ordered one for its 286 board but this game is 32-bit so it will never work on it
the 386 laptop I got for yosmas doesn't have one

the NEC ProSpeed/386 should have a socket for an FPU, so if you can ever figure out how to open it (I couldn't) not only could you replace the CMOS battery, you could also install a 16 MHz 80387 to match its 16 MHz 80386

or maybe the expansion unit has the socket for the FPU, when will that be arriving?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

the NEC ProSpeed/386 should have a socket for an FPU, so if you can ever figure out how to open it (I couldn't) not only could you replace the CMOS battery, you could also install a 16 MHz 80387 to match its 16 MHz 80386

or maybe the expansion unit has the socket for the FPU, when will that be arriving?

Tuesday by End Of Day

I think the expansion unit has SIMM slots and an extra hard drive bay to go with the ISA slot sidecar thing

what did you try? I can't find any way to do anything with it other than the screws on the I/O backplate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

VikingofRock posted:

i just saw your haskell search algorithms library

• Locked thread