Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I bought the Sunex 15 piece sets from amazon for ~$40 each when I ordered the impact, if you'd rather not have HF (not that they're bad!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Please please please please stop using chrome sockets on an impact.
Me: "I don't need impact rated sockets for this 18v cordless impact driver. It can't have that much that much torque. I can just use my chrome ones"

Time passes and I successfully use them for a while.

My 12mm chrome socket while using my impact driver on a stubborn brake mount: "BANG"

Me: OWWWW!

Ordered an impact set.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone got a recommendation for a corded hedge trimmer?

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a corded hedge trimmer?

Honestly I've never had a problem with the black and decker one for light duty stuff around the house. If you're looking for something more heavy duty makita makes a good one.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Honestly I've never had a problem with the black and decker one for light duty stuff around the house. If you're looking for something more heavy duty makita makes a good one.

Seconding getting a cordless one, I bought the Makita 18v unit last year and I've never had to swap it the 3 amp hour batteries while using it. It's a thousand times more hassle free than running cords or getting a two stroke for my dinky yard.

Also, re impact sockets, craftsman has a fairly complete set that's pretty cheap as well that I picked up last year and like a lot, though the hf sockets honestly are pretty good too. Those are what I had been using for years now without any issues, other than the lack of a carrying case.

Then again, one of those companies won't be around in nine months time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've got HF impacts as well. I have the Chromoly (vs. Chrome Vanadium, they sell both) ones and would recommend.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

Seconding getting a cordless one, I bought the Makita 18v unit last year and I've never had to swap it the 3 amp hour batteries while using it. It's a thousand times more hassle free than running cords or getting a two stroke for my dinky yard.

Makita makes corded ones also if he's dead sent on a corded.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm not, I'm just tired of batteries wearing out, not to mention the additional weight they entail. And this is something that'd be getting used just once in a while, like one or two days out of a year, a situation in which corded tends to shine.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

I'm not, I'm just tired of batteries wearing out, not to mention the additional weight they entail. And this is something that'd be getting used just once in a while, like one or two days out of a year, a situation in which corded tends to shine.

Yeah just go pick up a black and Decker for 40 bucks and be done with it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Corded is always better, you get more power! :black101: That is unless your getting some of those sexy (and expensive :() DeWalt FlexVolts

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

The 5" Knipex pliers wrench is the KC Tool of the day for $34.50 (25% off normal), a heck of a deal for a pocketable adjustable wrench that opens up to 7/8".

https://www.kctoolco.com/knipex-86-03-125-5-pliers-wrench-plastic-grip/

Coupon code: TOOLGUYD4LIFE - 10% off

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 28, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pivotal Lever posted:

The 5" Knipex pliers wrench is the KC Tool of the day for $34.50 (25% off normal), a heck of a deal for a pocketable adjustable wrench that opens up to 7/8".

Thanks for the heads up--I've been wanting one of these things for years now!

That's about the first time I've even seen those things go on sale. I also added a Wiha screwdriver magnetizer for a few bucks. Shipping isn't bad either, around five bucks, and that was mostly covered by 10% off with the Thanks2GJ garage journal coupon code.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Does anyone have a recommendation for a set of needle nose pliers? I was doing some electrical work the other day and the ones I have now are pretty crappy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a set of needle nose pliers? I was doing some electrical work the other day and the ones I have now are pretty crappy.

Who makes the ones you have now and whey do you find them crappy?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I got these Wiha pliers "free" and I like them a lot https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26190-Phillips-Screwdriver-Professional/dp/B00018AO0W

Also tweezer nose pliers are cool too and you should get some: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IBOP6Q

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I've got these channellock snipe nose pliers, and they are absolutely fantastic:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KY41RS0?psc=1

If you're doing lighter duty work like with small electronics and need something more nimble but stronger than tweezers, try a pair of curved hemostats:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00062N42S/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This is amazing. This is a "workbench" in Manhattan.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

:eyepop:
No fire hazard there!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

kid sinister posted:

Only costs him $200/month for the storage space!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pivotal Lever posted:

Thanks.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I bought one too - they had me at "Replaces a full set of inch and metric open end wrenches".

coathat
May 21, 2007

kid sinister posted:

That's a closet.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Pivotal Lever posted:

Thanks, it's out of stock but I ordered one anyway. Been looking to get a couple of these in different sizes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Looks like every Chinatown hardware store I've ever been to.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Over a decade ago I bought a cheap b&q powerplus circular saw. I've used it without sympathy or mercy until last year when I dropped it and bent the baseplate fifteen ways. I replaced it with a scheppach track saw which is quieter and awesome but yesterday I stripped down the old one to see what state it's in inside. Apart from needing new grease 5 years ago it's in brilliant shape inside so like a dumb hoarder I'm going to keep the motor and gearbox. If I hadn't dropped it I'd probably have got another ten years out of it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My little 7" diameter circular saw isn't doing the job when it comes to cutting 4x4s, anyone got any suggestions for something a little bigger (circular saw or otherwise) I could pick up to handle the job? Cheaper is better

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought a "generic" skilsaw from a pawn shop for $20 a few years ago. It's a namebrand Skil, just not special.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Magres posted:

My little 7" diameter circular saw isn't doing the job when it comes to cutting 4x4s, anyone got any suggestions for something a little bigger (circular saw or otherwise) I could pick up to handle the job? Cheaper is better

If you don't need it to be super portable, you might want to invest in a miter saw. A 10" miter will easily slice through 4x4s at 90 degrees, and give you a more accurate cut than a circular saw. Being able to do accurate angle cuts is very useful for other carpentry as well.

Amazon has a well-liked 10" Hitachi for $109.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

B-Nasty posted:

If you don't need it to be super portable, you might want to invest in a miter saw. A 10" miter will easily slice through 4x4s at 90 degrees, and give you a more accurate cut than a circular saw. Being able to do accurate angle cuts is very useful for other carpentry as well.

Ooooh perfect, I've really been wanting a miter saw. Portability is only a concern for one place, but I can throw it in my car, drive to the site, and set it up.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

If I want a drill press, am I better buying a new one or finding one on Craigslist? I feel like the Craigslist finds have a better chance of being well-built and high-quality, but I don't know enough about drill presses to know what I'm looking at.

I don't have any specific requirements, which I know isn't helpful.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Not really a lot to go wrong on a drill press... Make sure the quill isn't loose/wobbly. Run it and make sure it doesn't wobble or run the drill bit off centre.

Check the belt for fraying or cracking... Or loose parts in general. The pulleys should be tight, etc

Not sure there's much else to it

I was annoyed by my bench top one's inability to lower the table very far. Think about possible uses and how long the drill bits can be and how big and thick the pieces of wood you plan to work on might be.

Also you want it to be able to go slow if you plan to drill metal I guess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

B-Nasty posted:

I thought those were like $40 depending on accessories?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't think horror freight has a miter saw for 40 bucks

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't think horror freight has a miter saw for 40 bucks

:thejoke:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61DTXCww8BL._SX425_.jpg

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Jesus Christ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Miter saws are for pussies.

Just freehand a circular saw.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Platystemon posted:

Just freehand a circular saw jigsaw karate chop.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Platystemon posted:

Just freehand a circular saw.
No way can I spin the blade fast enough, man.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well the main point of that comment was the “for pussies” pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harbor Freight Class action lawsuit, come get your free money goons:

https://slickdeals.net/f/9874912-harbor-freight-class-action-settlement-get-cash-back-or-gift-cards-for-purchases-made-from-4-8-11-12-15-16?src=pdw posted:

Harbor Freight just settled a class action suit due to falsely advertising the "regular price" of items, and therefore falsely claiming the amount that you save when an item is "on sale". Full details of the case and settlement, as well as instructions on submitting a claim, can be found here: http://www.nationalsalepricesettlement.com.

The options to claim damages are as follows:

OPTION A. Customers who have itemized Harbor Freight receipts reflecting one or more purchases between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 with a "you saved" amount reflected on their receipts can submit copies of those receipts and elect to receive either 20% in cash, or 30% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total "you saved" amount listed on their receipts, excluding any amounts reflecting free items or items that were later returned.
EXAMPLE: If you have receipts showing total "savings" on multiple items totaling $480, you have the option of getting 20% cash back ($96) or 30% ($144) on a Harbor Freight gift card.

OPTION B. Customers who have credit or debit card statements reflecting one or more purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 can submit copies of those statements and elect to receive either 10% in cash, or 12% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total Harbor Freight purchases on their credit or debit card statement(s), excluding any amounts reflecting items that were later returned.
EXAMPLE: If you have credit card statements showing $2,400 in purchases at Harbor Freight, you have the option of getting 10% ($240) cash back or 12% ($288) on a Harbor Fright gift card.

OPTION C. All other customers who made purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 may submit one declaration, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that they purchased an item from Harbor Freight (other than a free or later-returned item) that was advertised with a higher reference price (e.g., "reg. $XXX," "only $XXX," or "comp. at $XXX") adjacent to a lower current offering price, and that they do not have itemized Harbor Freight receipts or credit or debit card statements of their Harbor Freight purchases. Customers submitting this declaration will receive one $10 Harbor Freight gift card.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9874912-ha...2-15-16?src=pdw

http://www.nationalsalepricesettlement.com/