Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Walked posted:

Death's Shadow takes down another Open.

Deck's good af

The fact that it and burn - my two decks - are the only ones with more than one copy in the T8 makes me embarrassingly happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't really want to play the concern troll game, so you might as well lay out your argument why you think this Standard is good and/or why cards shouldn't be banned. The games aren't fun. Every deck that's good plays cards that you just lose to if you answer them even a turn or so late. The die roll means way too much. The key cards that win matches are 2 mana. There's only three decks with a realistic chance of doing basically anything.

There were lots and lots of decks that at least made it into Top 8s during the "mono black domination." People keep pointing to that standard as an "unhealthy" environment because they have faulty memories of both what the format looked like and how the games played out. That format was fun.

I'm not trolling (though if you did the stupid post a comment from Reddit to me, good show...) I don't think standard is good right now but I don't think it will be fixed with more bans. Standard is better now than it was prior to the emrakul/copter ban, it is still in a poor spot but really I don't see what will get it out of the spot it is in outside of cards rotating out. It says something that their internal future standard testing team missed so many interactions. I feel like if cat goes, then we are in for 6 weeks of mardu, if cat and something from mardu goes, then 6 weeks of GB (though Mardu already survived one ban so...).

Ultimately I guess I just don't feel like a bans will fix the problem, it feels more like a design problem. Much like your 2 mana comment it feels like a missed land drop at any point during the first few turns is immediate lights out. poo poo for many decks having a land come into play tapped can be lights out. We have a lot of strong permanents. We are lacking the strong answers or maybe it is a lack of hate cards.

RTR/THS block standard was highly enjoyable, I mentioned it more as mono b was a highly hated deck and people griped about it all the time calling for bans. Just like THS/KTK sure playing against rhino was bad but there were plenty of interesting decks happening then and there was a lot of diversity in the top 8/16's

Out of curiosity, what is the makeup of your local standard events? Mine is 50% GB, 25% Saffron Olive Decks, and about 25% other non-tier 1 decks. Last 2 weeks I've played against GB 6 out of 8 matches

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

if you're good at remembering stock decklists, you can occasionally cut people off of a color with ghost quarter it's p. cool

InterrupterJones posted:

The fact that it and burn - my two decks - are the only ones with more than one copy in the T8 makes me embarrassingly happy.

Burn took down my local tcgplayer states as well. I think people just stopped respecting it and now nobody has enough hate for it. That's why I lost to it in the top 8, anyways.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

little munchkin posted:

Burn took down my local tcgplayer states as well. I think people just stopped respecting it and now nobody has enough hate for it. That's why I lost to it in the top 8, anyways.

It also has a decent matchup against Shadow (most popular deck right now?) if the Burn player knows what they're doing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

People respect burn? :downsrim:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's stopping another deck from rising up to the top of the bell curve and just dominating again?

Whatever that deck is, it won't threaten an auto-win in a format without efficient answers.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

I like how his plan against the big mana decks was basically Ghost Quarter them out of the game.

little munchkin posted:

Burn is turning into the new affinity that if people aren't ready you're going to get a lot of free wins.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

i dont know why you quoted me when it seems you agree with what i said?

unrelated to mtg but a thing i've always found cool is how people default to thinking "someone quoted me" = "they wanna fight!", and then you just get someone enthusiastically agreeing with you and it short-circuits your brain. i do it, too, it's just funny.

edit: and speaking of cost-reduction mechanics, i actually loving love Improvise. it plays so well in limited with how they supported it with cheap artifacts that give just-little enough value on their own that they really need to combine with Improvise to be playable. you occasionally get big blowout turns with it, especially something like curving that 3UR guy that spits out 2 thopters into a 2nd improvise spell with the thopters in the same turn, but on the whole it just feels so nicely balanced.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 13, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I looked at this list and laughed the only card I need is azusa and its like 23 bucks. I am not buying a loving azusa though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So I think Guardian and Gideon are gone tomorrow.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Cat is gone, Gideon is not. They won't kill off their Superfriends.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

So I think Guardian and Gideon are gone tomorrow.

:pray:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GoutPatrol posted:

The Cat is gone, Gideon is not. They won't kill off their Superfriends.

If they ban the Cat and not Gideon (Which should've been rotating soon anyway) it will completely warp the format where it will be even worse than it is now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

If they ban the Cat and not Gideon (Which should've been rotating soon anyway) it will completely warp the format where it will be even worse than it is now.

Ban cat, marval, and gideon.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Burn is turning into the new affinity that if people aren't ready you're going to get a lot of free wins.

At least artifact hate works against a ton of decks. It feels real bad devoting three sideboard slots to Dragon's Claws that only come in for 1 matchup.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Ban cat, marval, and gideon.

Agree. Marvel needs to go too. That might take more time though.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
My vote is for banning Walking Ballista from draft and sealed, thanks in advance wizords

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

My vote is for banning Walking Ballista from draft and sealed, thanks in advance wizords

Walking balista is incredibly fun to play in modern.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

little munchkin posted:

At least artifact hate works against a ton of decks. It feels real bad devoting three sideboard slots to Dragon's Claws that only come in for 1 matchup.

One of the matches this weekend on coverage a guy had 3 (maybe 4) dragons claw in his side board - that gentleman did NOT want to lose to burn this weekend.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I had a Walking Ballista in my Aether Revolt sealed league deck. I can confirm that it is total bullshit in a format where people have very few answers.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 13, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dehtraen posted:

One of the matches this weekend on coverage a guy had 3 (maybe 4) dragons claw in his side board - that gentleman did NOT want to lose to burn this weekend.

Dragons Claw is horrible SB tech vs Burn.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I like the point that Saffron raised on twitter that surprise bannings end up being more disruptive and expensive to players than the shorter rotations they just undid. (Which would have also "solved" the Gideon "issue")

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I like the point that Saffron raised on twitter that surprise bannings end up being more disruptive and expensive to players than the shorter rotations they just undid.

That certainly might be true and I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that.

Lets just hope that all the R&D folks who thought bad removal and sideboard cards were a good idea finally got the loving hint.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Is there a goon XMage server or a big public one that goons play on? I just installed it.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

I don't necessarily disagree but I'm not sure what else someone playing a colorless deck would have it in there for?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dehtraen posted:

I don't necessarily disagree but I'm not sure what else someone playing a colorless deck would have it in there for?

I didn't see the deck. Just commenting in general. In fairness, a completely colorless deck will usually have miserable SB options.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
#MakeMidrangeGreatAgain

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Someone's never cast blood moon + dragon's claw aka the hard lock

Dehtraen posted:

In eldrazi tron it seems a lot worse than Basilisk Collar, so I don't really get that decision. maybe just a budget thing (but in that case Sun Droplet would still have been better)

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

I didn't see the deck. Just commenting in general. In fairness, a completely colorless deck will usually have miserable SB options.

Gotcha. What'd you end up playing against at GPNJ, what were the wins / losses to, and would you make any changes to the sideboard to shore up matchups?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

smokyprogg posted:

As a programmer, How????

I want a mtgo code leak so so badly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dehtraen posted:

Gotcha. What'd you end up playing against at GPNJ, what were the wins / losses to, and would you make any changes to the sideboard to shore up matchups?

My losses were to Mardu, GW Tokens, GB, Temur Marvel and some horrible BR Atrifacts deck with Metallic Mimic and a bunch of constructs. I didn't really draw well either day and I think I won 2 dice rolls the whole 15 rounds. My SB was very good. I was 3-1 vs Mardu and 2-0 vs 4 Color Cat which was a very easy matchup. My tournament would've been better if I had played that deck more than twice. I had swapped some of the counters in the board for Shocks and a Collective Defiance and they were both quite good other than vs Marvel where I boarded in 3 counters and didn't see one but other than that I would keep the SB as is. You really can't SB all that much. It might be fine to cut the Gryff and Wrath's package but that is very strong vs Giedon decks so I wouldn't. If Cat eats a ban though, this deck becomes a lot worse since the Shaeeli decks are your best matchups.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What was the reason they gave for going back to two-year rotations? For every reason they gave for wanting to try 18-month rotations (mainly more frequent meta turnover and decreased Standard staple costs), it seems like the opposite is happening in this current Standard (a few highly dominant decks and relatively high buy-in cost). Admittedly I only know about Standard based on the posts here, maybe I'm interpreting them wrong.

little munchkin posted:

Someone's never cast blood moon + dragon's claw aka the hard lock

This but Blood Moon + Sanctimony.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

What was the reason they gave for going back to two-year rotations? For every reason they gave for wanting to try 18-month rotations (mainly more frequent meta turnover and decreased Standard staple costs), it seems like the opposite is happening in this current Standard (a few highly dominant decks and relatively high buy-in cost). Admittedly I only know about Standard based on the posts here, maybe I'm interpreting them wrong.

As far as I can tell, their reasoning was pretty much "well we tried this for 2 weeks and 0 rotations and now we're going to change it back."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

This but Blood Moon + Sanctimony.

Sanctimony is a funny card. I had to buy them because I love the color hosers.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

C-Euro posted:

What was the reason they gave for going back to two-year rotations?

18 month rotation was a "barrier to new or casual players" - also supposedly a lot of negative feedback about rotation. Actually the whole article is pretty funny about it especially considering the opinions most people have about standard currently http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/revisiting-standard-rotation-2016-10-19

mcmagic posted:

. I had swapped some of the counters in the board for Shocks and a Collective Defiance and they were both quite good other than vs Marvel where I boarded in 3 counters and didn't see one but other than that I would keep the SB as is. You really can't SB all that much. It might be fine to cut the Gryff and Wrath's package but that is very strong vs Giedon decks so I wouldn't.

Cool - thanks for sharing. Interesting choice regarding the collective defiance - I'll have to try that, I'm already running the shocks.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 13, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

C-Euro posted:

The official word is that faster rotations mean decks become obsolete more often so it's harder to keep up. Of course, then they institute extra bans which has the exact same effect.

Standard attendance cratered with BFZ block, which is also when faster rotation was introduced. Reading between the lines, it's pretty clear that wizards has chosen to believe that the new rotation system is the reason Standard has been hemorrhaging players, because how could BFZ (The Best Selling Set Of All Time) do any wrong?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dehtraen posted:

18 month rotation was a "barrier to new or casual players" - also supposedly a lot of negative feedback about rotation. Actually the whole article is pretty funny about it especially considering the opinions most people have about standard currently http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/revisiting-standard-rotation-2016-10-19

They never even tried it...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
They should ban the expensive cards I don't have.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Faster rotations always seemed a little suspect to me from a buy-in perspective but it's really hard to tell how the idea would fare in a less widely reviled Standard than the last couple have been.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

They never even tried it...

6 months after ktk/frf rotated out, dtk/ori rotated out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I remember thinking at the time "what the hell, did they even start the new rotation schedule before cancelling it?". It's a shame when companies throw ideas away too quickly to see whether or not they actually work.

Sickening posted:

Sanctimony is a funny card. I had to buy them because I love the color hosers.

I miss color-specific hosers like this because they do a good job of demonstrating basic color pie interactions to new players and are good general SB cards. Plus mana and nonbasics are good enough these days where you're rarely completely screwing someone with a card like that. Obviously some of the old ones like Chill would be annoying to play around today but give me more cycles like Lifebane Zombie & friends, or the enemy color hosers from DTK like Rending Volley.

• Locked thread