Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
DGB hosed up and repopped PoK for a spell fix and seeded all 61-64 spells in the vendors for about an hour before they got nuked. 600 or so people in PoK buying up everything they need and then some. Spells sold for around 150-200. Much profit was made selling to the poor guys using /barter.

RIP phinny spell economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
I don't think anything is more low level aggravating than this lockout overflow crash. Its just barely in the range of tolerable because:

a. We know what causes it (over 75 lockouts)
b. It's random if it affects you (some people went entire weeks without it then tonight they crashed every. single. lockout. they picked up) or not
c. All you have to do is just log back in.

Shame that it was reported 10 months ago during TBM and only now is possibly being looked at because Phinigel guilds are all hitting it at the same time.

For those that don't know, basically what happens is you start getting gibberish and text from other parts of EQ in your lockout window along with absurdly long lockouts, like in the range of tens of thousands of days. What's PROBABLY happening when eqgame crashes is that it's trying to either render a character eqgame can't handle in the chat, or it's trying to read data that's not in its allowed segment. Zoning *usually* fixes it to the correct lockouts, except that any lockout that doesn't fit in the 75 lockout range won't be shown until lockouts fall off and room is made.

It's also forcing a gameplay change because we were going to go back and backflag a bunch of people so they can xp in sol ro tower or work on aid grimel or get their charm maxed, and now we can't because there's a gap when doing Plane of Time where its crash free and that's when we need that the most so people don't accidentally miss being able to go in on big ticket items because they've crashed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I can't believe they haven't fixed that poo poo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

xZAOx posted:

I can't believe they haven't fixed that poo poo.

You must be new here.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, as old as any of you.

Which is to say, I do believe it, because it's very par for the course, but it still manages to surprise me for some reason.

But don't worry guys, picks are nerfed (with more nerfs coming soon)! You know, one of the best features of modern EQ! Phew!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Do what you can, go vote up the issue:

https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-921

(So far, using that has gotten bard epics fixed, got out of era spells fixed).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've always wondered what it would be like if Daybreak focused their efforts on making classes more fun to play, instead of focusing on nerfhfhahhaahahahahahaaha. Sorry. That was inappropriate.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Sometimes I also wonder what EQ would be like if it wasn't a dumpster fire of incompetence (save for two one devs).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Sometimes I also wonder what EQ would be like if it wasn't a dumpster fire of incompetence (save for two one devs).

I wonder what kind of work he's doing on WoW, and if he'll use a different alias than Augur if he interacts with players. God drat I miss that guy, but he was too good for Daybreak.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I always liked Prathun

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Orange Red Bull posted:

I always liked Prathun

:stonk:

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

iNteg posted:

Of course, if you hadn't been so lazy and playing p99 (or auto-restreaming a p99 guild killing Halls of Testing trash while having a 100% town hall discussion about loot, including motions, carried, and tabled discussions!) you could have done this weeks ago.

Now we have 5 main rangers instead of 1 so you'll never get Timespinner (neither will I though).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
....you were playing back on P99 iNteg?

Why?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

....you were playing back on P99 iNteg?

Why?

it's a running joke. my twitch stream was auto-hosting some dude playing p99 because i have it set to auto-host anyone playing EQ when i'm not streaming.

So apparently everyone thinks or thought I was streaming P99 or some poo poo? i dunno, but it sure as hell wasn't me. I wouldn't be caught dead on that server anymore.

Also, because i let Damdor play my ranger, whenever I log in and say hi, everyone says "Hi Damdor"

iNteg fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 1, 2017

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
So I got the itch and since I'm out from work recovering from surgery, figured I'd play some EQ on Phinny. I want to twink out a melee of some kind so I bought some Krono to sell for some fast cash. I put in my order going on 29 hours ago now, and still no delivery. My paypal hasn't been charged as best as I can tell. How long does this poo poo normally take? I know it says 24 hours, but it's been longer than that and I've had people in game tell me that it usually only takes an hour or two.

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010

jymbojones posted:

So I got the itch and since I'm out from work recovering from surgery, figured I'd play some EQ on Phinny. I want to twink out a melee of some kind so I bought some Krono to sell for some fast cash. I put in my order going on 29 hours ago now, and still no delivery. My paypal hasn't been charged as best as I can tell. How long does this poo poo normally take? I know it says 24 hours, but it's been longer than that and I've had people in game tell me that it usually only takes an hour or two.

Most I've had it take was two days. Best was 3 hours.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I took a nap (woo pain meds) and woke up to them finally being delivered. Total time from purchase to delivery was somewhere around 31-32 hours.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
If it's the first time you bought a krono it takes a long time to authenticate/process it, the second+ time you buy it, it should be instant-ish. It's some security measure.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Its a "you're waiting for a GM to give it the OK" thing.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Or buy Kronos from 3rd parties for half the price of the DBG market, and get them nearly instantly.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

jetz0r posted:

Or buy Kronos from 3rd parties for half the price of the DBG market, and get them nearly instantly.
Hehe yes this, they are half the price on the black market and you can get them as quick as within 15 minutes. I thought jymbojones was doing this and had bad luck with an iffy seller, when I read his story.

I have bought from the redguides.com forum twice, 10 Kronos each time (usually you save $1 per Krono by buying bulk), with no worries. One was from user "murdahjah", the other was from user "Choz".

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

My little pet project for the past year is finished - complete all Epic 1.0's for the original 14 classes in EQ! I've finished a bunch of them over the past 5 years, on various servers, but I completed 10 of them (I had four 2.0's already) on the server I'm on (AB) for the sake of fun and completeness in the past year. I had done Monk, Shaman, Ranger and Wizard 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 on my server a few years ago, since that's been my main box setup for a while. I then had the following to complete:

Bard, Cleric, Druid, Enchanter, Magician, Necromancer, Paladin, Rogue, Shadow Knight, Warrior

What I did was create sets of two twinks at once (on each their account), so I leveled them in pairs and to a certain degree, completed their epics in pairs. I then had my two main accounts (Monk and Shaman level 100) to help them putz around the world and camp and kill mobs, plus a lvl 85 Heroic Bard on a 5th account. I power leveled them to 70, so they had a fair degree of power to deal with various mobs and weren't completely gimped. Sadly the trick to get a lvl 1 to lvl 52 instantly by an Underfoot quest was nerfed, so I had to do it the hard(er) way. I used the damage shield power leveling (DS PL) technique, and actually used my Shaman to do it, since he's really strong, can heal himself, run fast, and has a PB AE AoE cripple which is good for drawing aggro. For damage shield stacking, I used my Ranger and Bard, so I could get a 498 point damage shield, which isn't huge by today's standards, but good enough. At lower levels, the Ranger's DS was plenty. I guess the optimal class for it is an SK with high defense (AE aggro), with a Bard and Mage to cast über damage shields.

You need a PB AE spell in order to do the DS PL technique. This can be done in two ways: Either one of my two twinks (grouped) needed a PB AE spell, or if none of them have such a spell, I started a fresh Bard on a third account; they get a PB AE song at level 2, and he'd join them all the way to max level. Overall, when doing this paired PL'ing, choose your two classes so that one of them has PB AE, and the other doesn't (a melee for example), so you can get as many pairs with PB AE as possible.

My PL path was this:

1-20: Crescent Reach. I start off killing mobs one by one, using the Shaman's Puma buff and other various twink buffs to make it a breeze. It's too much trouble doing DS PL from lvl 1, so at least get to around lvl 12 by doing this. At lvl 12, if my twinks had a PB AE spell or I had started a Bard along with them, I'd go to the north end of the Crescent Reach valley and pull undead until lvl 20. If my twink classes didn't get a PB AE until around lvl 20 (Necro, Druid), I'd just power on with the manual killing until lvl 20. Clerics get a PB AE at lvl 9, for example.
20-30: Blightfire Moors, the north central area, mushroom people.
30-44: Blightfire Moors, the northwest area, skeletons.
44-60: Crypt of Nadox, the area west of the lava river. Camp just to the west of the lava river, and you can technically pull both sides (one side at a time), but the green orcs in the east side of the zone are just annoying to pull.
60-70: Ruins of Lxanvom (Crypt of Decay). The entire zone is just tailor-made for PL'ing. I pulled the rats and puslings in one pull, then the undead knights in another pull.

At level 70, the twinks were almost ready. Furthermore I did this:

* Twink them with Defiant and various old school twink gear (mostly for fun - I'm swimming in Cloak of Flames, RBBs, etc. from dragon killing)
* Give them about 15k plat to buy spells and various purchases necessary for the epics
* Buy all spells up to lvl 60, and select spells in the 60's so they have a little firepower and utility, such as invisibility, snare, nukes, teleports, etc.
* If you don't have subscription accounts with auto-grant AA's, grind (by PL'ing) 100-200 fundamental AA's on each character. It's an absolute must to get Innate Run Speed, for example, and certain class AA's are also must-haves.
* I went to Plane of Hate, the south central area, and buffed the twinks with HP buffs and the Lassitude/Lethargy line of spells, which makes the twink proc a slow on the mob and a gigantic HoT on himself, making them pretty much invulnerable. I pulled 2-3 lvl 60 mobs onto each twink, and let them hit and be hit for about an hour, in order to build up offensive and defensive skills. Having the Lassitude spell proc also automatically levels up Channeling and Alteration, which is nice. Otherwise, a lvl 70 with lvl 1 skills is seriously gimped and can barely kill a wandering goblin, let alone hit mobs related to the epic.

Ready for epic questing! The epics are extremely varied; some can be powered through, others have huge roadblocks with long camps, so it varied a bit how I utilized the dual-twink setup. For some class setups, I pretty much completed one epic, then the other. For other class setups, I was sometimes doing 4 camps at once, with the help of the two twinks and my three powerful mains. Lots of fun to run around, camp, track, teleport, wait for spawns, all that old fashioned stuff, doing it like it was a job. It's great to utilize various high-level characters across my 5 accounts for buffs, tracking, teleports, etc.

I strived to do everything the hard, old school way. For example, for Monk epic (done way way back), I completed the headband and sash, then the RotLC the hard way, then RotWF, then epic. For Rogue epic, I gathered all the rapiers and swords, even though you can skip them. For the Shaman epic, no cheating with the faction. For the Paladin epic, I quested Ghoulbane instead of just getting it as a drop from the NPC in Felwithe. I also sometimes even camped items that I already had on another character, instead of multi-questing them. Only in two cases did I cheat and use the new "harbinger of xxx" mobs that spawn after certain major epic-related bosses die (new feature from 2015 designed to make epics on the TLP servers less contested); for example to get the SoulLeech in PoF, I killed a few rounds of golems, but wanted to get the (boring) SK epic over with, so I used the harbinger.

Here's a quick little "review" of the 14 old epics:

Bard
Fun, pretty easy except if you want to camp the dragon scales the hard way. Some potentially long camps.

Cleric
Fun, some possibly long camps, but not too bad.

Druid
Fun. Lots of hunting down corrupted/tained mobs, and some luck-based foraging, otherwise just running around handing in a shitload of items.

Enchanter
Fun, fairly easy, some potential roadblocks with the Wraith of a Shissar.

Magician
One of my favorites. The overall quest is simple: Gather four elements, which you each get some sub-quests. Fun, but I say that as one of those people who love camping and grinding. There are some insane camps, notably the Quillmaine cloak, but I'm good at spawning him so it only took 4-5 hours. I spawned him later in 10 minutes for some other guy who was looking for it.

Monk
My favorite class, a fairly easy quest with no major roadblocks. If you want to do it the hard, intended way, you'll have to camp Raster of Guk and Targin the Rock, which can take days or weeks. You also must camp the KC and Chardok pipes for the RotWF, which are quite boring camps.

Necromancer
Really easy and short quest. The biggest roadblock is the Slime Blood of Cazic-Thule, which is a rare PoF golem drop. I got lucky and found it quickly. Another roadblock is the Cloak from Sky, but you can spawn the Keeper of Souls easily and the quest item from him isn't that rare.

Paladin
I did this the hard, hard, hard way. I quested Ghoulbane, then SoulFire, then Fiery Avenger, then Fiery Defender. Amazing quest line with a great story. Highly recommended doing the hard, full quest line.

Ranger
I recall it was fairly easy, but requires the Shattered Emerald of Corruption from The Plane of Hate, Venril Sathir, and some luck-of-the-draw foraging. Lots and lots of running around handing in items.

Rogue
Cool quest, but I might be biased since it was my classic class from the year 2000. I did it the seriously hard way, gathering the four swords and four rapiers for the side quests from Vilnius the Small, even though you can skip them. I love stuff like that. After you complete that, the Rogue epic is notorious for being one of the easiest epics in the game.

Shadow Knight
I've done it before, and it was a really dull quest. Maybe it was because I skipped back and forth in the epic guide on Alla, but I found it really hard to trace a story and make sense of it all. Some very nasty camps, I camped the pieces for the Darkforge armor in Feerrott, and it took days to get the drops. If you want to get the Soul Leech, Dark Sword of Blood from a golem in PoF, have patience.

Shaman
Pretty easy and simple quest, just running around handing in and hailing, and getting a few drops in CoM and such. The only roadblock is finding the iksar broodling alive (or kill a golem to spawn it) in PoF so you can get the Child's Tear.

Warrior
Fairly straightforward and easy, not that fun. Didn't really get a vibe from it. The Ball of Everliving Golem is yet another PoF golem drop, which can take time to find. You also need to farm The Spiroc Lord in Sky for a bit, but I'm well equipped on my mains for it (my Monk can eat Death Touches).

Wizard
Fundamentally an easy and fun quest, but with two major roadblocks: Blue Crystal Staff from Phinigel Autropos and Gnarled Staff from Venril Sathir, both uncommon drops. I've gotten lucky with them, and have even seen them rot quite a few times.

Here's a picture album with a shitload of random screenshots to enjoy!

http://imgur.com/a/4zVMT

I guess I might do the Beastlord and Berserker epics just to complete them, even though I scoff at these two non-classic classes. The next logical step is of course to complete epic 1.5's and 2.0's, but I know some of those are bruuuuuutal.

Selected pics:

BloodThirster
Jan 8, 2001

Pilsner posted:

Cool Stuff

As a random lurker it was super cool to see this. Makes me want to go back to EQ just to explore old content. Thanks for sharing!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
That's loving awesome!

Epics were probably the best feature/idea EQ ever had. Its a shame soe/dbg deemed them too difficult to continue. I always thought they should have done smaller add-on, continuation quests with each expansion to upgrade the original to then-current BIS weapons. That way they could have piecemealed the work over multiple expansions rather than doing full length quest chains all in one expansion.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Krycek posted:

That's loving awesome!

Epics were probably the best feature/idea EQ ever had. Its a shame soe/dbg deemed them too difficult to continue. I always thought they should have done smaller add-on, continuation quests with each expansion to upgrade the original to then-current BIS weapons. That way they could have piecemealed the work over multiple expansions rather than doing full length quest chains all in one expansion.

This yes! Also BiC was a loving awesome (and frustrating) quest. That loving augment was top tier for a long time, it would have been great if there were upgrade quests for it as well.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Oh drat, thanks for this. I like to pop into EQ every few years so I'll keep your guide here in mind.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Pilsner's post about epics reminded me how I never finished the monk epic because 13 year old me camped Raster for like 96 hours and then I gave up and rolled a bard.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

suuma posted:

Pilsner's post about epics reminded me how I never finished the monk epic because 13 year old me camped Raster for like 96 hours and then I gave up and rolled a bard.
There's a shortcut to the Monk epic - kill Brother Zephyl in Rathe Mountains, who has a chance to drop the Robe of the Lost Circle. It's not necessarily a short camp, as he is a rare spawn from the 6-minute drake/Hasten/Maldyn spawn cycle there. The robe is also an uncommon drop, but overall it should be faster than camping Targin and Raster. The camp also requires you to be alert every 5 minutes to watch for the new spawn, but overall I'd say it's more chill than the godawful dungeon camps.

This reminds me of a story I read a goon post here in the original EQ1 thread a while ago. He was camping Raster (probably 15 years ago) solo, and had been at it for hours upon hours. He held in his poop (not sure why, Raster PH has a ~25 minute repop) for so many hours he could barely stand it any longer, then FINALLY relief as Raster popped. He let himself go in the joy of the moment of seeing Raster pop, soiled himself in his pants, killed Raster, looted, then went to clean himself up. Lol.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Oh, I knew about killing Brother Zephyl. This was right around the time Velious was winding down before Luclin and I wasn't really in a guild yet (my monk was my highest level at 51 and I was pretty bad at EQ) so my small group of friends couldn't kill him.

In like 2009 I was tooling around in LGuk (maybe it was a Fabled event? Not sure why else I would've been there?) on the same bard and Raster was up, I killed him for the :fuckoff: of it.

Rythak
May 4, 2013
I don't know why but I let this terrible game suck me back in. The last time I played this game was poop-socking on Vulak for classic in EoE and now all I want is for the next TLP server to launch.

Not sure if I should invest much in Phinny in the meantime as leveling is terribly slow.

Rythak fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 11, 2017

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
I've been thinking about popping back on for nostalgia's sake now that EQ is F2P, what server are most goons on at this point?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
By far the most popular server is Phinigel, their latest Progression server that just hit PoP a month ago. But you have to pay to be on it, heh.

Other than that, I think jetzor is in a raiding guild on Live. Some goons used to bum around on Test, but that's died out.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

If you're not gonna play on a TLP, go with Xegony. It's a high population server with some goons and plenty of raiding options.

BloodThirster
Jan 8, 2001

jetz0r posted:

If you're not gonna play on a TLP, go with Xegony. It's a high population server with some goons and plenty of raiding options.

Goons in a guild or anything? I started up again recently on Xegony and I'd chill with some Goons if they're around.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

BloodThirster posted:

Goons in a guild or anything? I started up again recently on Xegony and I'd chill with some Goons if they're around.

Just Jetz0r and I are guilded on Xegony. But we're in the #1 poopsock raiding guild, there are a lot of casual raiding guilds on Xegony you can join too.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

If you're European, I recommend Antonius Bayle for the lower ping and thus better player experience. It's a medium-populated server; not busy, but not dead either.

Oh, and I just noticed that it's been almost exactly 5 years since I started this thread. Time flies, but I'm still active playing EQ :). This April, EQ will be hitting its 18th anniversary, and I see no reason why it won't hit 20, or 25.

What does the future hold for official Live EQ? I think the only thing that could kill it would be some company bankruptcy or hostile company takeover, with some principle-set board of directors slashing EQ just because, or some legal poo poo. Otherwise they could just keep merging servers to keep the server population high, although to be honest, I've seen no evidence that EQ's population has dwindled at all during the past 5 years, perhaps by 10-20% at the worst?

If/when Live EQ some day gets axed completely, we already have a buzzing emu community, with the well-established P1999 as the leader, two moderately active PoP-era emus (P2002 and TAK), and I can only imagine that as time goes by, more will come along. I would definitely lend some of my programming time if necessary, when the time comes.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Are there any relatively new progression servers out, either official or emulated?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
None with any kind of population.

Project99 is on Velious and staying there. There's been rumors of a new p99 server (which would start over in classic) but no official release date/plan as far as I know.

Phinigel is in PoP now and apparently doing pretty well in terms of population. I would expect once GoD/OoW roll around and people lose their nostalgia glasses that the population will start to dwindle and for DBG to start anew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

suuma posted:

I would expect once GoD/OoW roll around and people lose their nostalgia glasses that the population will start to dwindle and for DBG to start anew.

This isn't at all guaranteed this time around.

Most people not in the top guild of the server quit around GoD/OoW because they had no chance to compete with said top guild for raid loot before these expacs launch, and therefore have no chance at all to do GoD / OoW stuff right out the gate because of the difficulty jump. Right now there are at least 16 guilds that have killed Quarm and one more who is struggling through Plane of Time. At least three of those guilds kill more than one Quarm each week via splitting.

A lot of people in EoE have said that certain upcoming expansions, usually GoD, OoW, or DoN, are the end of their EQ experience and when we tell them about stuff after, they seem excited to experience it. With the change from 3 months to 2 months on "non level cap increase" expansions, they've also made a good change to get people out of the horror that is DoDH and PoR and on to the more fun stuff in TSS, TBS, and beyond.

As long as they continue to apply Agent of Change instancing to certain progression events along the way, I think you're going to see the server remain a fairly healthy population. If they do something stupid (and expected) like not bother to instance critical progression zones such as Kod'taz, Txevu, Dreadspire, or Theater of Blood, the server population is going to drop like a rock. Otherwise, my guess is the population will probably trickle losses through normal attrition but with as many people as we have now, who knows where it'd stop.

The only wrinkle I see is the next progression server that is supposedly to come this summer, and the details on its rule set. Personally, there's only one possible basic ruleset I'd accept to consider jumping (no truebox, AoC instanced) but I'd imagine quite a few of the other guilds will take their chances starting again there to get away from the 'evil' AoS, OGC, and EoE.