Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tournaments (that matter) tonight! Go your team of choice! Unless they're playing my team of choice! Then gently caress that team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
T-36 hours until Miami's season is over

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Badgers host Ohio State (:barf:) tonight. Go Bucky.

Also, for those who care, OSU @ UW will be on BTN tomorrow.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan beat Penn State tonight, likely destroying their pairwise too

Death to all pairwises

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hilarious results from last night:

Clarkson blasting 3-seed Cornell 6-2
10 seed UNH beating 1 seed UMass Lowell 3-1 despite being out-shot 12-35
Michigan beating Penn State 3-2 despite being out-shot 17-37
Ohio State mollywhopping Wisconsin 5-1 on the road despite being out-shot 18-29.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami somehow managing to be up 3-1 and losing 5-4 in OT

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Miami somehow managing to be up 3-1 and losing 5-4 in OT

Saw that, sorry man :rip:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

It's okay I'm dead inside

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress Ohio state

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

T-36 hours until Miami's season is over

:rip:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PSU swept my Micigan :ughh: This team doesn't deserve to make the tourney

Before #1 ranking: 16-2-1
After #1 ranking: 5-9-1

quality collapse

N. Mich and RPI fired their coaches

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

On to the finals to get beat by either Minnesota State or fightin nerds :toot:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This team doesn't deserve to make the tourney

and the last train pulls into the station

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I think... Cornell might be bad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tonight's game 3s!

Mercyhurst vs. Army
Clarkson vs. Cornell
Q'Pac vs. St. Lawrence
UMass Lowell vs. UNH is underway. It's 6-1 Mass-Lowell. After the 1st. :stare:
Minn-State vs. Fightin' Nerds
Neb-Omaha vs. WMU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Glambags posted:

I think... Cornell might be bad

good

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

After losing 6-2, Cornell wins the next two games 2-1 to beat Clarkson and move on.

I think... they still might be bad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mass-Lowell completes an 8-2 destruction of UNH and will host Notre Dame in the semis. BU hosts BC on the other side and those games should own.

E: Cornell will visit Union in ECAC semis. Harvard will host whoever wins Q'Pac/St.Lawrence

DJExile fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 13, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The B1G finally has a tournament!

Congrats to Penn State! After getting swept by weak-rear end Michigan, you get to play them again! Winner gets Wisconsin.

Other play-in game will be Ohio State beating the piss out of Sparty, then getting killed by Minnesota.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Congrats to Penn State! After getting swept by weak-rear end Michigan, you get to play them again! Winner gets Wisconsin.

Other play-in game will be Ohio State beating the piss out of Sparty, then getting killed by Minnesota.

Wisconsin is going to lose on Saturday and get pushed out on Pairwise :suicide:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And we're all set!

ATLANTIC SEMIS
Canisius hosts Robert Morris
Air Force hosts Army

B1G
OSU vs Michigan State, winner vs Wisconsin
Penn vs hosts Michigan, winner vs Minnesota

I'M DUMB THESE GAMES ARE STILL AT THE CRUMBLING SHITHOUSE JOE LOUIS ARENA

ECAC SEMIS
Harvard hosts Q'Pac
Union hosts Cornell

HOCKEY EAST SEMIS
UMass-Lowell hosts Notre Dame
Boston Univ. hosts Boston College

NCHC SEMIS
Denver hosts NoDak
Minn-Duluth hosts WMU

WCHA FINALS
Fightin' Nerds host BGSU

DJExile fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 13, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ugh I Have To Root For Lowell

disband hockey east

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Ugh I Have To Root For Lowell

disband hockey east

Look on the bright side, ND is B1G's problem next season. Also, could be worse. Could be Bethel.

:suicide:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

DJExile posted:

B1G
OSU hosts Michigan State, winner visits Wisconsin
Penn State hosts Michigan, winner visits Minnesota

Big Ten is still at Joe Louis this year before they finally switch out of empty arenas to on-campus games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

Big Ten is still at Joe Louis this year before they finally switch out of empty arenas to on-campus games.

Oh yeah, I forgot they still do the whole thing all in one place.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DJExile posted:

god drat gently caress PSU is down to T12 in the pairwise what a loving collapse

If there are two teams tied in the pairwise but only one spot left, what's the tiebreaker

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat gently caress PSU is down to T12 in the pairwise what a loving collapse

If there are two teams tied in the pairwise but only one spot left, what's the tiebreaker

USCHO posted:

Teams are then ranked by PWR point total, with ties broken by the teams’ RPI ratings, which starting in 2013-14 is weighted for home and road games and includes a quality wins bonus (QWB) for beating teams in the top 20 of the RPI (it also is weighted for home and road).

E: They have a great comparison tool. Here's PSU's

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, Big Ten postseason honors announced: http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031317aaa.html

Coach of the year: Tony Granato :getin:

Oh, and some nobody from Minnesota got player of the year (Sheehy) and another nobody got goalie of the year (Schierhorn).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Trent Frederic over Smirnov is an atrocious selection. And who the gently caress didn't vote for Smirnov on the all freshman team? He scored 10 more points than Frederic and was the highest scoring freshman in the country.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Dean Blais resigned from Omaha. I guess that;s it for him. And Niagara fired their coach after 16 years

Coaching Carousel
RPI
UNO
Niagara
Northern Michigan

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Something's up at Nebraska-Omaha because Dean loving Blais is one of the best things to happen to that program.

CHN posted:

OMAHA, Neb. — Dean Blais has stepped down as head coach at Nebraska-Omaha, just two days after suggesting he'd return.

The 65-year old Blais just completed his eighth season as the program's head coach — just the second coach in the program's history. A two-time national champion coach (1997, 2000) during his time at North Dakota, he is 146-133-30 during his tenure in Omaha, with two NCAA tournament appearances and a Frozen Four appearance in 2015.

“I have been extremely fortunate in my career to work in so many good places with so many people who care about the game of hockey,” Blais said in a statement. “Omaha is one of those places. Our administration, led by Trev Alberts and Mike Kemp, have been very supportive during my time as UNO head coach, and our fans are some of the best in college hockey.

“That’s what has been most important to me in my career – the relationships I have made everywhere I’ve been. My experience in Omaha has been so much fun, assisting Trev and Mike with the moves to two different leagues and the building of Baxter Arena. It was challenging but all very positive."

Blais has hinted at retirement a few times over the years. When he first took the job, he said he may not go beyond five years. But he was instrumental in helping raise money for a new arena, Baxter Arena, which opened before last season, and wanted to see that through.

He was also coming off the 2015 Frozen Four appearance, which energized him.

However, prior to this season, Blais expressed dissatisfaction at the new president of the University, and concerns that the hockey program may not get as much internal support as in the past. As it stands, UNO is operating without giving full cost of attendance scholarships to its players, something most of the rest of the NCHC is now doing once the NCAA started to allow it a couple of years ago.

According to sources, Blais offered to take a pay cut so the savings could be used towards full cost of attendance, but was turned down.

Going forward, the school is facing a budget crunch that could have impacted hockey, and may impact the type of hire is made to replace Blais.

Next year was the last one in Blais' contract. He was scheduled to make $270,000 base salary next season, one of the highest salaries in college hockey, which goes up to $332,500 when including his longevity bonus. Unless there was a deal made, he'd be leaving that money on the table.

This season, UNO was 17-17-5 and lost in three games to Western Michigan in the NCHC quarterfinals this past weekend.

After the game, Blais told reporters he was staying on. “Right now, yeah,” he said to the World-Herald. “I don’t know how the scoop got around.”

But either he was concealing his true intentions, or things changed in the last two days.

“Dean has been a remarkable leader for our hockey program during the last eight seasons, and he leaves it in a more prominent position nationally than when he began here in 2009,” UNO athletic director Trev Alberts said. “Milestones were a regular occurrence on his watch."

Blais said he would be involved in the search for his successor. One of his assistants, Mike Gabinet, is a UNO grad and considered a prime candidate if the school decides to go younger.

Other well-known names with ties to Omaha include current Minnesota State head coach Mike Hastings, and current Minnesota top assistant Mike Guentzel. However, both may be outside of UNO's new price range.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: holy poo poo I never realized why NMU fired Walt Kyle :stare:

quote:

MARQUETTE, Mich. — Former Northern Michigan coach Walt Kyle was arrested Friday on two counts of felony fraud, ABC 10 in Marquette reported. The charges were later confirmed by the Marquette County Sheriff's Office.

Kyle was charged with one count of residential mortgage fraud and one count of forgery of documents. He was released on bond.

Kyle was informed just hours earlier that he was fired as head coach of the Wildcats after 15 years at the helm. A former captain for NMU, he was just the second coach in the program's history.

Kyle's attorney, George Hyde, called his client "entirely innocent" as he released a statement Friday night, which said:

"These charges against my client, Mr. Walt Kyle, are extremely unfortunate and a prime example of misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the facts.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DJExile posted:

E: holy poo poo I never realized why NMU fired Walt Kyle :stare:

well then

Kyle was on thin ice because of the DUI he picked a few years and his groveling about lack of institutional support. Figured one or both of the parties was fed up. This explains a lot tho

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

UNO is so hosed and that program is getting Title IX'd within 10 years

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well then

Kyle was on thin ice because of the DUI he picked a few years and his groveling about lack of institutional support. Figured one or both of the parties was fed up. This explains a lot tho

Apparently the issue is that he and his now ex-wife never dissolved their powers of attorney. It's really a nutty story.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Rumors abound via NHL Agent Dan Milstein that Michigan has chosen a successor to Red Berenson.

https://twitter.com/DMilsteinHockey/status/841834338325041153

Who knows if this is true or not. I've heard everything from Nate Leaman and Jim Montgomery to Jeff Blashill and somehow Mike Babcock.

Milstein is more connected to the NHL than NCAA so if he's telling the truth it could be a NHL guy like Blashill, who will get pushed out of Detroit despite it being 400% Ken Holland's fault they stink

Edit: He retracted the tweet

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 16, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren::havlat: GET FUKKN HYPE YOU GUYS :havlat::siren:

IT'S TIME FOR THE SORTA-PLAY-IN-SORTA-FIRST-ROUND OF THE B1G TOURNAMENT

TONIGHT

poo poo rear end 7-WIN SPARTY PLAYS gently caress OHIO STATE FOR THE RIGHT TO LOSE TO WISCONSIN AT 5:30PM!!

AFTER THAT!!

RED BERENSON GETS AT LEAST ONE MORE GAME AT THE HELM OF A BAD MICHIGAN TEAM WHO SOMEHOW SWEPT A WEEKEND SERIES AGAINST PENN STATE AND SKULLFUCKED THEIR PAIRWISE. THEY'RE PLAYING AGAIN! MARVEL AS NEO IS CAUGHT BETWEEN HIS DESIRE TO GET RED OUT OF MICHIGAN AND DESIRE TO WATCH HIS TEAM gently caress OVER PENN STATE AGAIN!

ARE YOU FIRED UP?

YOU SHOULD BE!

BECAUSE THIS WOEFULLY OUTDATED, TRASH CONFERENCE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DESTROYED YEARS AGO IS PLAYING BOTH GAMES IN AN ARENA THAT CAN BE DESCRIBED THE EXACT SAME WAY!

BOTH GAMES ON BIG TEN NETWORK PROBABLY WITH lovely ANNOUNCERS

:siren: GET :siren:

:siren::siren: FUCKKN :siren::siren:

:siren::siren::siren: HYYYYYYYPE :siren::siren::siren:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

:siren::havlat: GET FUKKN HYPE YOU GUYS :havlat::siren:

IT'S TIME FOR THE SORTA-PLAY-IN-SORTA-FIRST-ROUND OF THE B1G TOURNAMENT

TONIGHT

poo poo rear end 7-WIN SPARTY PLAYS gently caress OHIO STATE FOR THE RIGHT TO LOSE TO WISCONSIN AT 5:30PM!!

AFTER THAT!!

RED BERENSON GETS AT LEAST ONE MORE GAME AT THE HELM OF A BAD MICHIGAN TEAM WHO SOMEHOW SWEPT A WEEKEND SERIES AGAINST PENN STATE AND SKULLFUCKED THEIR PAIRWISE. THEY'RE PLAYING AGAIN! MARVEL AS NEO IS CAUGHT BETWEEN HIS DESIRE TO GET RED OUT OF MICHIGAN AND DESIRE TO WATCH HIS TEAM gently caress OVER PENN STATE AGAIN!

ARE YOU FIRED UP?

YOU SHOULD BE!

BECAUSE THIS WOEFULLY OUTDATED, TRASH CONFERENCE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DESTROYED YEARS AGO IS PLAYING BOTH GAMES IN AN ARENA THAT CAN BE DESCRIBED THE EXACT SAME WAY!

BOTH GAMES ON BIG TEN NETWORK PROBABLY WITH lovely ANNOUNCERS

:siren: GET :siren:

:siren::siren: FUCKKN :siren::siren:

:siren::siren::siren: HYYYYYYYPE :siren::siren::siren:

:getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OSU cruises by Sparty 6-3 and will go lose to Wisconsin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038