Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

do you have brain problems?

I don't know, I mean, I AM posting in the ME:A thread.

Also this is a great page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I AM posting in the ME:A thread.

Please stop.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Please stop.

You first.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You don't have to be autistic to post in the Andromeda thread, but it sure helps!

Rite guys? Hahaha! Bam, let's put that on posters

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

now every game has a strong female protagonist and sara ryder's voice actress sounds like a little girl they found wandering the halls of their offices.

"Hmm, uh huh. Yeah, that was nice, but can you do it this next time a little more...kawaii desu? *sigh* And Casey wants to double check, once you're done recording these lines, you'll still let us eat sushi off you, right?"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is getting way too weird. Can't we go back to posting about how the game is bad?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will probably waste at least two of my 10 EA Access hours with the character creator :ohdear:

Let's just hope that they didn't screw up the CC lighting once again!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Transmetropolitan posted:

technically both of them were entwined by fate but w/e

geralt is such a macho guy he gets owned by his daughter in ice skating and snowball fights

also almost everybody makes fun of him and its hilarious because the game every now and then goes off its way to subvert the whole "badass male lead"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC8ya-KqB7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-DKyAVU34
This was a dop elittle teaser trailer thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Have... have you been reading this thread? This is way beyond mocking something because it's funny.

Now, most of that is because there's just nothing going on, but I figured that's what the Trump Administration thread in D&D was for.

I'm sorry bad people said bad things about other bad things in video games.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

looks like a cool game

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

do you have brain problems?

the overwatch avatar points to Extremely Yes, my dude

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-DKyAVU34

the best bit is when geralt gets owned by lambert putting on his best geralt voice impression and going "KILLING MONSTERS" when they're drinking together

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The driving fantasy of TW3 is being the super studly manly fucksgood Geralt.

Not at all. Witcher 3 makes it pretty clear that, while a badass fighter, at the end of the day Geralt is almost powerless when it comes to fighting the primary antagonist of the series. The Wild Hunt is just beyond him, not just in numbers but also in terms of their supernatural abilities. So he has to turn to strong female characters for help, multiple times, and at key points in the story.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In the first zone of Witcher 3 Geralt goes through several steps to summon and deal with a ghost haunting a small abandoned hamlet (I forget why it's there).

The point is while he could kill it that one single supernatural enemy was a big deal to him. Of course he was going to be outmatched by a dimension skipping professional army.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

DancingShade posted:

In the first zone of Witcher 3 Geralt goes through several steps to summon and deal with a ghost haunting a small abandoned hamlet (I forget why it's there).

The point is while he could kill it that one single supernatural enemy was a big deal to him. Of course he was going to be outmatched by a dimension skipping professional army.

if it were like mass effect in the Witcher 1 & 2 he would've been getting his poo poo slapped by the wild hunt, then in the last 10 minutes of 3 found out he actually could deal with them in conventional warfare despite the odds

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Another key thing about the TW3 is that Geralt is a relic of a time long past and simply isn't needed by the world anymore. The very first quest points out that a bunch of soldiers with crossbows can basically do his job. There's a side quest where his profession is summed up by an official as a glorified vermin exterminator. There's plenty of points where Geralt is lied to, tricked, or generally caught off guard by the new way of doing things. His whole relationship with Ciri is about him learning that his daughter has to go out into the world and achieve her destiny without him. There's this whole thing running through the game where Geralt can cling to his old, dying way of life - or embrace change and try something new and break with tradition. It's a game about being a father and a game about moving on.

Bioware doesn't even attempt that level of thematic cohesion in their narrative.

edit: Well, to be fair, they attempt it. There's a big thing about inter-generational conflict running through the trilogy but it's pretty muddled.

Like, you can always tell who has never actually played TW3 because they sum up Geralt as "super studly manly fucksgood" and cite it as a reason to not play it? All the people circlejerking earlier about hype or whatever was kind of marvelous. People like talking about things that are good, and TW3 is a very good RPG and story.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 13, 2017

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I just want to enjoy playing a Star Wars/Star Trek/Space Opera style game and Mass Effect seems to be the only one that scratches that itch

Like what else is there? Star Citizen, Destiny, No Man's Sky?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Does Geralt prefer biotic charge or singularity? And are his women naturally lie or do they just lay the woad on thick?

SgtSteel91 posted:

I just want to enjoy playing a Star Wars/Star Trek/Space Opera style game and Mass Effect seems to be the only one that scratches that itch

Like what else is there? Star Citizen, Destiny, No Man's Sky?

Not Destiny. The shooting is great, but the plot and character interactions are trash. Like LITERALLY MY FETISH levels of badness.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 13, 2017

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Milky Moor posted:

Bioware doesn't even attempt that level of thematic cohesion in their narrative.

edit: Well, to be fair, they attempt it. There's a big thing about inter-generational conflict running through the trilogy but it's pretty muddled.

Sovereign: You cannot beat us. This is suicide.
Shepard: FUCKIN WATCH THIS

Illusive Man: You cannot win. This is a suicide mission where it will be a miracle if anyone comes back.

Starchild: You could never win, choose your ending
Shepard: okay

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Does Geralt prefer biotic charge or singularity? And are his women naturally lie or do they just lay the woad on thick?

Not Destiny. The shooting is great, but the plot and character interactions are trash. Like LITERALLY MY FETISH levels of badness.

Ehhh I think that's really missing the issue with Destiny.

Destiny has fantastic lore and does a great job creating a weird high-concept science fantasy kind of world, then...doesn't really do much with it in the actual game's plot. The plot and character interactions aren't even really bad they're just aggressively mediocre. Destiny is disappointing because it has a lot of potential that it doesn't live up to. Gameplay's great though.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Clawtopsy posted:

Sovereign: You cannot beat us. This is suicide.

Illusive Man: You cannot win. This is a suicide mission where it will be a miracle if anyone comes back.

Starchild: You could never win, choose your ending
Shepard: okay

Too many games do this. It'd be nice if you chose a path halfway through the story, then moved towards that goal.

Instead, a magical child can make three different things happen for you without any context or reason for having the ability to do it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Zakmonster posted:

GTA? Not really an RPG, but it is open world. You've also got Farcry and Assassin's Creed, which both have RPG elements and are open-world in nature.

Neither of those require anywhere close to the amount of facial animation that Mass Effect games do, is the thing.

The animations in ME:A aren't jacked up because of Frostbite or because Bioware's animators aren't talented or because they're lazy, it's because they bit off way more than they could get to a really cinematic level of polish, and apparently thought that was a fair tradeoff for whatever else IS in the game. Like having ten times as many lines of dialogue as the last game (personally I'm not sure why they keep upping the ante with amount of dialogue--i feel like they'd see diminishing returns pretty fast).

Time will tell I guess?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Personally I think the next game should be a featureless plain with one character who has over three million years of recorded dialog.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

DancingShade posted:

I'm sorry bad people said bad things about other bad things in video games.

We should be able to laugh about dumb, bad things in video games.

But most people here seem to get really mad at anyone who can still be a little excited about this space shooty game, despite ryder_cheeks.gif and three frames of flickery background footage. Can't you see these animation errors we scoured the trailers for?!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ehhh I think that's really missing the issue with Destiny.

Destiny has fantastic lore and does a great job creating a weird high-concept science fantasy kind of world, then...doesn't really do much with it in the actual game's plot. The plot and character interactions aren't even really bad they're just aggressively mediocre. Destiny is disappointing because it has a lot of potential that it doesn't live up to. Gameplay's great though.

Yeah, everything I've seen and heard surrounding Destiny sounds like I could enjoy it as much as Mass Effect, but the gameplay loop there is more MMO-like than DA:I

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Thor-Stryker posted:

Too many games do this. It'd be nice if you chose a path halfway through the story, then moved towards that goal.

Instead, a magical child can make three different things happen for you without any context or reason for having the ability to do it.

Well I mean there was context. The child was the crucible which you spent the entire game building

It was lame that the concept was introduced in the third installment though.. Woulda been cooler if it was a thing you had been working towards for all 3 games, knowingly or unknowingly.

The concept of a weapon against the reapers that previous extinct civilizations started work on and then it continued like this through the ages with Shepard finally being the dude who was a bad enough dude to finally use it against the reapers was cool as gently caress imo... but they barely touched on it in the game itself

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 13, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

Personally I think the next game should be a featureless plain with one character who has over three million years of recorded dialog.

"Now calibrating unit 56023. Now calibrating unit 56024. Now calibrating..."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

Well I mean there was context. The child was the crucible which you spent the entire game building

It was lame that the concept was introduced in the third installment though.. Woulda been cooler if it was a thing you had been working towards for all 3 games, knowingly or unknowingly.

The concept of a weapon against the reapers that previous extinct civilizations started work on and then it continued like this through the ages with Shepard finally being the dude who was a bad enough dude to finally use it against the reapers was cool as gently caress imo... but they barely touched on it in the game itself

I always was amused that the crucible read Shepard's mind and decided a little kid was the best way to go with this all. But of course I was always amused that Bioware decided to give Shepard some crazy PTSD flashbacks of that dumb little kid in the first place, as well as several dream sequences about that. I was NOT amused by the slo-mo running bullshit, however.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yeah, everything I've seen and heard surrounding Destiny sounds like I could enjoy it as much as Mass Effect, but the gameplay loop there is more MMO-like than DA:I

The difference there's is that DA:I is a single player game aping MMO structures. Destiny is somewhere between Diablo and an MMO so the gameplay loop should be that way.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drifter posted:

I always was amused that the crucible read Shepard's mind and decided a little kid was the best way to go with this all. But of course I was always amused that Bioware decided to give Shepard some crazy PTSD flashbacks of that dumb little kid in the first place, as well as several dream sequences about that. I was NOT amused by the slo-mo running bullshit, however.

When I first saw him, I thought "Ah, this is the symbol of everything Shepard is fighting for back on earth." Then he got blown up and I laughed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FronzelNeekburm posted:

We should be able to laugh about dumb, bad things in video games.

But most people here seem to get really mad at anyone who can still be a little excited about this space shooty game, despite ryder_cheeks.gif and three frames of flickery background footage. Can't you see these animation errors we scoured the trailers for?!

The way I see it animation errors and mid 2000s hair are literally all we have to talk about except for pre order bonuses.

Yet some people are freaking out about it and getting very defensive when their One True Game is disparaged.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I was fine with the kid as some sort of representation of Shepards mind. But the VA for the kid was so poo poo it ruined everything for me

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

I was fine with the kid as some sort of representation of Shepards mind. But the VA for the kid was so poo poo it ruined everything for me

Starchild should have been Jenkins, same attitude and line delivery and everything

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ages posted:

Starchild should have been Jenkins Conrad Verner, same attitude and line delivery and everything

FTFY

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ages posted:

Starchild should have been Jenkins, Nicolas Cage same attitude and line delivery and everything

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

No, they need to save him for Andromeda's big reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbLmW9or_pg

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ages posted:

Starchild should have been Jenkins, same attitude and line delivery and everything

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Haledjian posted:

Neither of those require anywhere close to the amount of facial animation that Mass Effect games do, is the thing.

The animations in ME:A aren't jacked up because of Frostbite or because Bioware's animators aren't talented or because they're lazy, it's because they bit off way more than they could get to a really cinematic level of polish, and apparently thought that was a fair tradeoff for whatever else IS in the game. Like having ten times as many lines of dialogue as the last game (personally I'm not sure why they keep upping the ante with amount of dialogue--i feel like they'd see diminishing returns pretty fast).

Time will tell I guess?

No, I get it. I made a similar argument a few pages back (Jesus for such a bad game, this thread sure moves fast). Every game has to make sacrifices in order to meet budget/deadline, and I guess Bioware decided to sacrifice the more common animations.

As long as the other bits of the game that they sacrificed for as great, then it will be a good game.

Milky Moor posted:

Another key thing about the TW3 is that Geralt is a relic of a time long past and simply isn't needed by the world anymore. The very first quest points out that a bunch of soldiers with crossbows can basically do his job. There's a side quest where his profession is summed up by an official as a glorified vermin exterminator. There's plenty of points where Geralt is lied to, tricked, or generally caught off guard by the new way of doing things. His whole relationship with Ciri is about him learning that his daughter has to go out into the world and achieve her destiny without him. There's this whole thing running through the game where Geralt can cling to his old, dying way of life - or embrace change and try something new and break with tradition. It's a game about being a father and a game about moving on.

Like, you can always tell who has never actually played TW3 because they sum up Geralt as "super studly manly fucksgood" and cite it as a reason to not play it? All the people circlejerking earlier about hype or whatever was kind of marvelous. People like talking about things that are good, and TW3 is a very good RPG and story.

Never looked at it this way. I always thought the poor reaction Geralt got from random peasants was because he was a literal mutie freak and his presence meant that some bad poo poo had happened/will happen. He's the guy you turn to when face-eating monsters are knocking on your door, that type of person isn't always going to be welcome, especially in the broke-down superstitious hovels that make up majority of the Witcher landscape.

Like, the only people who like him are the guys in Skellige, because they're all about physical/mental prowess and Geralt is good at his job, so they respect that.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 13, 2017

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I really enjoyed the world building in The first Mass Effect and hope bioware can provide the same sense of wonder. Those were cool moments when the Vigil theme played. I hope they still use that theme.

Also does anyone else think peebee looks extremely like Amy Schumer. Like a literal Asari Amy Schumer. I can't unsee it

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kainser posted:

I didn't realize that screenshots from a game was something people claimed ownership of

I'm pretty sure those were used in me 2